Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fake_account
Msg: 51
My Conversations above inboxPage 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Its good in one way as i was sick of the mind games with it. If i messaged you yesterday then i see you online today and then not online later, its pretty clear you are taking long on purpose to respond as mind gamez. Dont have to see this stuff now.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 52
My Conversations above inbox
Posted: 10/25/2012 3:02:56 AM
Its good in one way as i was sick of the mind games with it. If i messaged you yesterday then i see you online today and then not online later, its pretty clear you are taking long on purpose to respond as mind gamez. Dont have to see this stuff now.

The phone app is known to automatically log a user into their POF account when in the range of a Wifi. So, when you saw that user on-line after sending a message, she might well have been sitting in a coffee shop with her friend, had her cell pick up the wifi and show her as on-line, and yet her cell was in her bag/pocket the entire time. No mind games at all.

This is perhaps one more reason why the recent change has been made - people using the on-line indicators to make judgement calls about those they were communicating with, which were based on misconceptions and presumptions.

We've seen lots of threads along the lines of :-
1. My partner says we are exclusive but they are always on line in their POF account, what does it mean.
2. I am talking to someone on here but they take so long to answer my messages even though they are in-line. Is he/she just not that into me ?
3. My partner is meant to be away at a conference but I just saw them online at POF - What's going on ? Is he/she cheating on me ?
4. Thanks POF! I just broke up with the perfect person because they were always on line and now I find out that their phone was logging them on each time they were at work. They won't take me back because they say I have trust issues.

I personally don't have feelings one way or the other about this particular feature but from these threads, it is apparent that most people were not using the information it had provided in a healthy, constructive manner.

It seems that those objecting to it being removed either used it for endless chatting with their buddies which is not what this site is intended for or it was used to monitor the on-line movements of others which is inappropriate and completely intrusive. I don't think I've seen one single complaint which didn't fall into these two reasons.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/25/2012 6:36:56 AM
Yanno...the green button is still there for conversations with ppl that are in your inbox (on the android app)...just not the name of the user above the box telling you who's on line of all the users that messaged you within the past 30 days...so, if you deleted a conversation with a user who you were talking with there's no on line notification...but, if the user is still there in your inbox-voila....so, the ability to cyber-stalk still exists...or for those of us who think we're normal...the conversation can still continue...I guess that I'm missing what the big deal here is.
 leadsledr34
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 7:42:57 AM
TIME!!!! Yes it takes time to get to know people and now it's going to take alot more. You like the big brother approach to censorship obviously!
I thought the idea of pof was free and EASY communication.
Bring back the my conversations feature please.
 BarbieIam.Not
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/25/2012 8:31:54 AM
Well I can't say I like this new "non feature" my inbox is quiet, therefore I log off. As far as adding someone to my favorites for easy lookup, I don't think that's a good idea, after all, these are people I'm just chatting with and I don't want to send them the wrong impression. If someone is my favorite, it will be on my terms, not POF's. Besides, if all of a sudden the "favorites" is an active place to be, it too will be an upgrade feature. As someone else mentioned some accounts can still see who is online, (android app still works this way) I've been asked already why I didn't say hello when I was online, I didn't know they were on line. And quiet frankly, I feel like a snob!
Any how , I just wanted to vent. Hope the "my conversations" go back to normal.
Logging off now, because no one is online :S
 walkergal
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/25/2012 8:58:37 AM
well, you've just said exactly how I was feeling about all of this! I have to say that my interest in this site has dropped dramatically.
PLEASE BRING BACK THE 'My Conversations' FEATURE!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/25/2012 10:22:09 AM
BarbieIam.Not...you could try securing their telephone numbers and calling them.
Or simply obtain their Yahoo! Messenger or Microsoft Communicator credentials for IM/Chat.
Lastly, simply add each other to Favorites and level with the men that you are NOT particularly interested in them romantically, yet you do enjoy signing-on here to IM/Chat back and forth. Super easy.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/25/2012 10:27:11 AM
I reckon traffic on Pof will be substantially reduced after this change

I imagine that the green dot idea was intially put in place to increase the number of clicks and hence revenue for the site and removing it will likely decrease the number of clicks.

Maybe the site has actually catered to it's membership this time to remove something that many found annoying more likely they were hoping to increase overall revenue by selling more upgraded memberships.

My guess is that if they find removing this feature it will significanly decease overall revenue it will be back. It's not surprising that the site owner is probably more interested $$$$$$$$ than he is in making his membership happy.
 leadsledr34
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 11:37:14 AM
Pof the number one site?
Not for much longer if they keep messing with the site!
There's an old saying"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
 lakielee
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/25/2012 11:48:01 AM
so glad there are so many of us that are having the same problem. Anyone know the answer?
 Nicky_71
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 12:28:29 PM
Must agree with everybody else was nice to see who was online so if they are online you could message that person.
would be nice if POF are going to change anything they tell us first.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/25/2012 12:36:10 PM
This is a totally FREE WEBSITE here, people!
POF is NOT established to be an IM/Chat host to enhance communications with current *Real Life* friends.
It is a website to facilitate safe, private, and helpful interaction between STRANGERS.

Tools like phones, text messages, Yahoo! Messenger, and Microsoft Communicator can be used with IRL friends.
For new acquaintances here...simply "Favorite" each other. You can still see each other when online. Easily done!
Hope that helps.

:-)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/25/2012 12:53:39 PM
Miss BrattyPants totally gets it. Thank you! :-)

"...I'm quite glad to see that particular feature go and I hope it stays gone..."
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 1:03:12 PM
I HATE showing online.
People you have blocked, not responded to or WHATEVER can see you are on.
Then here we go when all I want to do is see the forums or chat with a friend

I will miss seeing my fav/friends with out clicking but if thats the price of not being bombarded or " I see you and why don't you respond blah blah?"

So be it.

Personally I doubt this will last.

It will slow down traffic and thus less bragging rights as to how many messages are sent each day.

I imagine that the green dot idea was intially put in place to increase the number of clicks and hence revenue for the site and removing it will likely decrease the number of clicks.

Maybe the site has actually catered to it's membership this time to remove something that many found annoying more likely they were hoping to increase overall revenue by selling more upgraded memberships.

My guess is that if they find removing this feature it will significanly decease overall revenue it will be back. It's not surprising that the site owner is probably more interested $$$$$$$$ than he is in making his membership happy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
lets hope it stays gone............

What do you want to bet on the timeline?

A week? Month?

leadsledr34
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:21:23 PM
Won't be making new acquaintances very easily now though will we. You say add them to your favourites and for them to do the same, but surely you want to get to know someone before putting them in favourites. Perhaps we should all just add everyone to our favourites and sort it all out after!
It makes it very difficult to strike up a new friendship if you don't know if they are online or not!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:39:38 PM
leadsledr34...perhaps focusing on the PERSON instead of which women *happen* to be ONLINE will help.
Read her profile carefully, share upbeat and fun POFmails, and seek to meet her LIVE to have fun.
That will be far, far, far more rewarding than IM/Chat with a digital acquaintance.
 leadsledr34
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:53:50 PM
It says you're educated on your profile?
You can't meet someone if you can't contact them to arrange it!
Have you noticed how little life there is on the site today?
Can't imagine why?
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/25/2012 3:03:15 PM

pinkruffles my conversation box above messages disappeared..i cant see who is on line!!! bring it back
It's not personal, it been removed across the site.

leadsldr34 There's an old saying"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
But many people did consider it broke and many people asked for this feature to be removed. This is not a change they made just because they felt like it, it was a changed which has been repeatedly asked for.

leadsldr34 Won't be making new acquaintances very easily now though will we. You say add them to your favourites and for them to do the same, but surely you want to get to know someone before putting them in favourites. Perhaps we should all just add everyone to our favourites and sort it all out after! It makes it very difficult to strike up a new friendship if you don't know if they are online or not!
You aren't understanding - the on-line indicator which has been discontinued is only the one at the top of your Inbox - NEW acquaintances were never shown there anyway, only those who you have spoken to during the last 20 days were shown. The section which shows the thousands of on-line users is STILL there and a completely separate matter from this one.

lakielee so glad there are so many of us that are having the same problem. Anyone know the answer?
The answer has been provided repeatedly throughout this thread (and others). It has been discontinued.

Tinalisa1 Nothing is showing up in my converstaions box, where have all my contacts vanished to!!! I upgraded to see if that changed the problem but no! I have e mailed POF but have had no reply!
It's been discontinued. Upgrading doesn't being things back, it gives you additional features which would have been explained in the upgrade process. Was there anything there which said upgrading would include this feature and if not, why did you upgrade expecting to see it ?
 leadsledr34
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 3:10:38 PM
Very true, but people need to be kept interested, it's human nature. The best way to do that is through stimulating people to contact eachother, and the my conversations feature helped to facilitate this.
 pammypalm1
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/25/2012 3:28:51 PM
Mine has been gone 3 days now...what's going on?
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/25/2012 3:34:51 PM

Mine has been gone 3 days now...what's going on?

Read the whole thread for the answer - It's been given NUMEROUS times. IT HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED.
 dar9274
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/25/2012 3:36:28 PM
my conversation inbox is got also. what happen
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/25/2012 4:05:45 PM

dar9274 my conversation inbox is got also. what happen
The POF fairy ran out of magic dust before she got to you and so they are still invisible. If you can't wait for her to get back, read the message above yours or any of the others on this thread which have already provided the answer.

EDIT for below - there is now a dent in my wall from where I have been banging my head against it.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/25/2012 4:14:23 PM
import_from_uk, it seems many people are apparently NOT much into reading! LOL.
 Caramel1964
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/25/2012 4:51:18 PM
I agree.. I finally had a nice conversation and was looking forward to having another - but because "the admin"removed the option... it makes it next to impossible to check and see if "he"is online... bad enough I the amount of time I spend on here, now I have to sit and wait... unreal... POF get it together will ya... for the amount of times I have been either booted or disconnected or messages not sent - I think I have earned the upgrade. Gez
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?