Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 76
My Conversations above inboxPage 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
It seems quite a few don't want to actually mm...mmm...MEET potential dates in person.
Yikes! Actually getting up from behind a computer screen and going someplace? How drastic!

LOL. :-)
 Pietro_G
Msg: 77
My Conversations above inbox
Posted: 10/25/2012 7:14:16 PM
LOLL ... I find it a Little hard to believe that anyone would stalk you

loll

only people we know or have responded to email used to show up on your conversation line .. they were very easy to remove from that line ... just block them loll
 fake_account
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/25/2012 7:31:24 PM
For the people saying "well just get their number or add them to messenger if you want to talk. This isnt a site for chatting"

Well whats next? Cant message people atall just post our email on profile? Cant see if they are online anywhere? Only 15 messages free per month?
 STAYREALOK
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/25/2012 8:57:38 PM
Well I have to say this change is the biggest disappointment in the 2 years I've been on pof. How about a trade..take viewed me away and give back the conversations! Yeah, like that's really gonna happen. It will be interesting to come back in 2 years and see what the membership is then!
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/26/2012 2:39:53 AM
porthdafarch A message from POF informing users of impending changes would be good....good manners at least.
POF has never done this and likely never will - same goes for Facebook or any other site. Maybe sites which are PAID for inform their users when a change is taking place but I'd be curious to learn which FREE sites you have even seen inform users in advances of changes they are making to a privately owned website.

Caramel1964 I finally had a nice conversation and was looking forward to having another - but because "the admin"removed the option... it makes it next to impossible to check and see if "he"is online.
No it doesn't. Open the nice conversation you were having with him and there's a whacking bright green dot at the top if he's on line. It's exactly the same information but in a different place.

fake_accountWell whats next? Cant message people atall just post our email on profile? Cant see if they are online anywhere? Only 15 messages free per month?
And if that time comes, you can then determine if you want to stay. At the end of the day, this is a privately owned site which represents a privately owned business. We are USERS not CUSTOMERS. We use the site and we pay not one penny from our pockets for doing so (unless we choose to).

stayrealok Well I have to say this change is the biggest disappointment in the 2 years I've been on pof
Well then you have been very lucky as most of us would say the dates we had were more of a disappointment that the little green dot being moved to a new location on the screen.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/26/2012 5:57:23 AM

Yes, we are users...but Pof's customers (advertisers) are dependent on the user base and traffic we generate. Ergo, we are kind of important to their business success
Agreed but when large numbers are asking for the on-line indicators to be removed, what better solution then just moving the summary into the individual conversations ? That way, those who deem it important, still have the information and those who don't want the monitoring have also been accommodated.

With a user base this size, it is impossible to please everyone and if you look at the number of people whining vs the size of the user base, there's only a small number who aren't happy with this solution.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/26/2012 7:24:54 AM
It seems that some wish to IM/Chat with someone rather than a particular person.
This is evidenced by they don't wish to open an individual message thread to see if he/she is online.
They also don't wish to "Favorite" each other. They don't wish to schedule to be online simultaneously.
So that begs the question...do some simply wish to IM/Chat with anyone who happens to have a green dot?
 just_here_because
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/26/2012 8:11:28 AM
please bring back the online contacts on the conversations bar! I have a few people I chat with regularly, and it's nice to be able to log on, check my inbox and see who's on. stop taking things away from the users, and leave the site alone..
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/26/2012 8:57:31 AM
dr0pdeadfred, you are correct.
Some seem to panic about not seeing someone with whom to IM/Chat right that VERY moment!
If there is already ongoing dialogue...of course the man or woman will get back.
 rdfnd
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/26/2012 3:43:29 PM
Eric, or it could be that some of us only can get on at a certain time so if we want to talk to that particuliar person, it'd be nice to see if they are on.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/26/2012 5:01:54 PM
rdfnd, that functionality has NOT been removed.
Click on your message thread with that person and you'll see him or her there.
 leadsledr34
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2012 5:51:26 PM
As usual you miss the point Eric.
It's all about ease of use.
People are also concerned that they can be seen with the my conversation feature, what do you think your hiding from?
Like those who support the feature keep being told by the small minded, if you want to find out if someone is online you can, it's just a case of how many hoops do you want to jump through to achieve it.
If people are really that worried about privacy what are they doing online? Every little mouse click you make is being monitored!
WELCOME TO BIG BROTHER
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/26/2012 6:08:07 PM
leadsledr34...this popular change occurred because people wish to visit POF privately without a virtual banner announcing their login arrival. Showing online status ultimately leads to mistrust, misunderstanding, and hurt feelings when one does not "acknowledge" a man or woman with whom they might be exchanging POFmail, telephone calls, or may have even dated already. Expectation of basic privacy is totally reasonable.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/26/2012 6:09:49 PM
Well it may well be something else we will have to pay for if they bring it back.

As for privacy concerns, I think they should simply incorporate
a hide option like they do for viewing profiles.

My suggestion would be an option where I can hide from the general public,
but still be seen online by folks I've faved and have faved me.

Might make the favorites thing more worthwhile.
Just a thought.
 LiveWithHope
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2012 6:20:38 PM
So, would expectation of basic privacy not also lend itself to the belief that someone shouldn't be able to troll through the profiles unless they belong to the site? I think personally that is much more an invasion of my privacy then for someone I've chatted with to be able to see if I'm online.

After all, they fall off after a while.

Just my 2 cents, guess it might be better to stick with the site I pay for and move on *shrug*. Too bad I enjoyed chatting with some of the people here, but it's just too much trouble now. Wish the site were more user friendly.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/26/2012 6:27:50 PM
LiveWithHope...wow, those people clearly had a pivotal impact on you!
Tell them they are truly not worth putting in your Favorites and/or clicking on message thread to view them.
They will truly "feel the love" if you share that little factoid. Yikes!!!
 LiveWithHope
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2012 6:41:47 PM
Eric...wow, way to ignore the comment about not allowing those who are just trolling and not members to view any profile they want.

SMDH
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/26/2012 7:59:34 PM
People viewing while not signed-in don't know if you're signed-in.
They also don't know if that is your real town...or your real pictures.
They are just random unassociated images on a screen.

Now on the flip-side of things...a date a POF person met LIVE for coffee knows them by sight.
They might know assorted shared details of the POF person's life. They could even know WHEN they login.
That is the reason why that privacy-invading feature was removed. It is intrusive at worst and can
cause misunderstandings, mistrust, and hurt feelings at best.
 LiveWithHope
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2012 5:46:05 AM
I guess I’m not surprised given there are so many boys playing at being grown men, models, recording artists and other flashy famous (in their own minds) type of people on this site.

So many people with something to hide. Glad they found a place willing to help them do that.

I must also say that I was with a friend of mine once when he was online here. Interesting how different it is on the mens side of things, you should try it sometime ladies, it was an eye opener.

Clearly I expected too much.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/27/2012 6:00:05 AM
LiveWithHope...here is the reality of POF dating:
Both women and men interact, talk, and meet LIVE for drinks with others encountered here.
It is even sometimes multiple coffee meetings, with multiple people, in the same week.
Lots and lots of caffeine gets consumed, thanks to POF! :-)

That is how one establishes between the good, the bad, the possibles, and the utterly non-compatible.
One might meet a person whom is *perhaps* in the running...plus additional nice dates.
With that in mind, one should have the reasonable privacy to engage here without "shouting from the rooftops" their each and every POF login session. When one is ready to focus on a singular person...that's when one can quietly remove his or her profile.
 I_NEED_A_VACATION
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/27/2012 9:19:21 AM
Well..if you don't want to talk to them, then why not just block them. That sends the obvious message that you're NOT interested. (You TOO could be bald one day...)
 leadsledr34
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2012 11:39:02 AM
So who's doing the snooping?
The people who can be seen or the people who can't?
Mistrust? misunderstanding? hurt feelings?
People quite clearly need to grow up if that is what seeing someone online does!
 LiveWithHope
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2012 3:53:52 PM
Louloubelle, I agree with you and Stray_Cat and lesdsledr34 but when the supreme god of all things POF thinks that the rights of those who need to hide for some reason outweigh those of affording us all basic privacy (such as not allowing those who aren't members to troll profiles) we get things that are only good for those who have something to hide.

Very frustrating.
 LiveWithHope
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2012 4:09:26 PM
Gee Eric, is that how this is supposed to work? We're actually supposed to MEET these people? WOW! what a novel idea, (oops, let me catch my rolling eyes quickly here).

So, are you saying that so many of these meetings we should be having have gone bad and now those who have participated in them need to hide from their stalkers? Is that why it all changed? That's a bit disconcerting, not to mention frightening.

On another note, the site shows people online much more than they really are, especially if you have the mobile app. *shrug*
 OyVay...
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/27/2012 4:57:13 PM
Didn't read the entire thread, so this may have been covered.

Why does everything on here have to be all or nothing?

IMO, POF is paid by advertisers, by the amount of clicks we make on here. So if we have to click through 2 or 3 more times, to see if ONE person is online, it bumps up their numbers. I have a good number of friends or acquaintences on here(believe it or not)and from time to time, I'd like to chat with them, not always send an email to get their attention. That's why the online bar was useful to me.

I can understand how some find this an invasion of privacy. I can understand how some daters, who are playing multiple people might find this a pain or embarassing. I can see how some fairly attractive women can also find this a pain, because when they get online here, and it shows them online, they get bombarded by chat requests and emails from those they would avoid.

Again, why does everything here have to be all or nothing?

Why not enable the feature and have an opt-out ability installed? Instead of pleasing half and pissing off half...everybody could be accomodated....

silly really...
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?