Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OCRebellion
Msg: 106
My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Quite frankly, I'm glad it's gone. It, at times, made me feel cyber stalked, because like others I would get IM'd immediately upon logging on.

Eric - I agree with you! The sad reality is that many people have fallen into the trap of believing that these online conversations are real life and, therefore, no longer have a "real" life. Even text messaging. It's a great way to keep in touch while sitting in long boring meetings or in other situations where an actual live call where you speak isn't appropriate or possible, however, with that being said if a person can't have those real conversations on the phone or in person, that's a red flag to me also.
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 107
view profile
History
My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?
Posted: 10/28/2012 10:45:15 AM

I sent an email to POF via the help box to ask why I could no longer see who was online in my conversation line & also asked if this was now available only to upgraded ( paying) members.

I'm a paying member. I don't have it either.
 LiveWithHope
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2012 12:08:47 PM
I guess I just don't understand why the people who say they are emailed/messaged/whatever as soon as they log on wouldn't have already blocked the person or persons they aren't interested in as soon as they realized they were not interested. I mean if someone is/was bugging me so much that I didn't want them seeing when I was logged on, I would block them and be done with it. After all, if you meet someone and things don't work out you don't continue to answer their phone calls or texts, you block them and they eventually get the message.

I do find it funny that a few people here assume because people like to chat with people online that no actual offline meeting has taken place. Maybe I'm the only one who tends to keep men with whom dating hasn't worked out as friends. I've always had at least one man online who emails me information from womens profiles and says, "what do you think" or comes back and says, you were SO right about that one LOL. Guess I'm just more than a pretty face to them :)

It is sad though, so many people online here (myself included) who have been here almost or over 2 years. Seems this site isn't working all that well.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 109
Posted: 10/28/2012 5:01:24 PM
Yawn...the "something to hide" allegation is tiresome and inaccurate.
A man or woman should have the privacy to entertain dates (e.g. typical coffeeshop meet-ups) and manage that scheduling without intrusive signaling on the main page:

...Hey, TennisGirl123...we see that SuaveDude007 just signed-on, even though you two shared a date that just ended 90 minutes ago. He is probably sending a note to Jenny_5309 now..."

In that fictional example...TennisGirl123, Jenny_5309, and SuaveDude007 might all be nice people.
We don't know who might ultimately date whom long-term...or if at all.
What doesn't make sense is allowing an avoidable invasion of privacy that could INADVERTENTLY cause misunderstanding, mistrust, and hurt feelings.

For all that advocate Blocking, that is not realistic, either.
Blocking also prevents normal POFmail messages. Many don't wish to Block a person across-the-board.
Dating is complex and can cause confusion...so technologically sabotaging an early relationship is WRONG.
That is why the majority of women and men are PLEASED the "currently online" feature is modified and they can more easily entertain conversations with enhanced privacy.
 OyVay...
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/28/2012 5:17:07 PM
Yawn is right! You have the privacy to have dates, anytime you want.

"something to hide"

Don't you get the difference between honest/mature and insecure/deceitful? We're all supposed to be adults here, confronted by someone who wants to know why I'm here, I'd rather be truthful and say X sent me an email, and I was replying.

Now if you don't date that way, I guess I can understand your problem. I have ALWAYS dated that way, I've also dated some 60+ different women on here in the 4 1/2 years I've been on here(on and off, different screen names).

Since many women on here, seem to want to know about the man they are dating, I have no problem with them seeing me here...I DO have a problem with someone else telling me what I can and cannot do. Now if you said to someone, you are exclusive...but want to hide in the weeds to keep your options open, then you're lying. Simple as that.

The majority? How do you know that? Did you take a survey? Because it doesn't matter what the count on this thread is, first because less than 10% of the population participate in the forums, and because even then not everybody with an opinion has posted here.

JMHO
 justmelover
Msg: 111
view profile
History
My Conversations above inbox
Posted: 10/28/2012 5:38:19 PM
bring it back!!! plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:
 LiveWithHope
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2012 6:48:22 PM
"What doesn't make sense is allowing an avoidable invasion of privacy that could INADVERTENTLY cause misunderstanding, mistrust, and hurt feelings."

Sounds as if TennisGirl, Jenny and SuaveDude need to grow up, and realize that until one or all enter into a monogamous relationship with one of the others (or someone else), and delete their profiles from the site they don't have any hold over the other and they all can message whoever they like or ignore whoever they want.

I wonder how many of the people advocating this "I think we should all be made to change so I don't get my feelings hurt when JohnBoy (or JoAnn) doesn't message me back" think that all the kids on the team should get a trophy so that no one feels like they didn't win. Face facts people not everyone is a winner and not everyone is going to want to go on a second date with you. Losing is a part of life, grow up and move on.

"For all that advocate Blocking, that is not realistic, either.
Blocking also prevents normal POFmail messages. Many don't wish to Block a person across-the-board."

So, you don't want this person seeing when you sign on and messaging you, but you want to get "normal POF mail messages" from them? What kind of "normal POF mail messages" is someone you don't want seeing you online going to be sending that you WOULD want to get? Talk about not making any sense at all. wow

"Dating is complex and can cause confusion...so technologically sabotaging an early relationship is WRONG.
That is why the majority of women and men are PLEASED the "currently online" feature is modified and they can more easily entertain conversations with enhanced privacy."

LOL- I get it now, you all want to hide and not show them you're online, just in case the other date you have tomorrow night doesn't work out and you'll still have tonight's date as a fall back because they won't know you're ignoring them? LOL too funny.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 113
Posted: 10/28/2012 7:00:38 PM
LiveWithHope, you are far smarter than those blanket statements and I know it.
Privacy is a basic requirement. It's why people don't list their full names and addresses.
Months ago, this request for enhanced privacy was a regular request.

Yes, people who value privacy DO also wish to continue to receive POFmail.
Perhaps they wish to engage conversation and planning with others on their own schedule.
Having to ignore frequent and inconvenient Chat/IM requests isn't fun. It disappoints others for no reason.
This situation is also thankfully far more easily managed now. Best wishes for your ongoing dating.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2012 7:07:09 PM

I MUST ADMIT

I am rather surprised at all the people declaring that this is not temporary and is not a glitch
when to the best of my knowledge neither or admin or moderators have commented on it.

Maybe I missed something. Has anyone seem ADMIN comment on this yet?

Although I suspect this feature MAY have been removed, I wouldn't be comfortable declaring it so, like so many others on this thread.

If it was removed, I would bet it was removed because of all the complaining people did about this feature as well as the huge amount of people that would block anyone and everyone that showed up on this list.

EngMau
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2012 8:03:00 PM
they r cutting out everything so u will upgrade. Can't chat with anyone any more

Ridiculous at best.

Go to your inbox and look at all the viewers above and below - most have the chat link under them.

Meet Me page - those who have the chat turned on have a big IM beside where it says Message User.

Do a Search - the ones who have a their chat enabked have a green chat link.

Click on Online Now - most have a chat link.

Click on New Users - most have a chat link.

Click on My City - most have a chat link.

Isn't that enough?

If you have a chat buddy , add each other to you favourites, you'll then see the chat link on users who have you on their favourites.

If you chat regularly with someone , use MSN, or Yahoo - you don't need the site for that.

.... anything else?

EngMau
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2012 8:08:05 PM
well they sure have cut a lot since I joined. Can't hardly read when they changed the chat. Guess they don't want anyone chatting any more. can lose friends not being able to see who is on the coversations. Very disa pointed. POF put it back
 HawkingJr
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2012 6:38:47 AM
"I am rather surprised at all the people declaring that this is not temporary and is not a glitch
when to the best of my knowledge neither or admin or moderators have commented on it. Maybe I missed something. Has anyone seem ADMIN comment on this yet?"

Post #24 in this thread:

"hi everyone
this is the email that i got from pof regarding the conversation bar
Thank you for taking the time to email pof.com
we are constantly updating the site to better serve our users. Due to recent site changes, this feature may no longer be available.
happy fishing,
regards natasha
pof team
pof.com"

I don't really see a reason to doubt the veracity of that user (what would be the purpose of making it up?). But so far as I know, that is the only case of POF commenting about the conversation bar to anyone (perhaps they sent responses to other users who did not post them here). Anyway, that email sent to that user would strongly suggest it's not a glitch and was purposefully done by POF and is likely not temporary either. Why this particular seemingly random user got an email response and why POF staff made no posts or announcements otherwise... well, that's just POF for you.

Since I have not posted my thoughts about this action in this thread, I will just say... I never paid attention to that feature and don't really care, except it seems to be more POF slippery slope activity.

Note the key word MAY.
Maybe it's just me, but that makes me think that perhaps they are evaluating the feature at the moment.

As I stated above, although I suspect this feature MAY be gone on a perm. basis, I still think it is still too early to jump to that conclusion, and this email only further inforces what I said to begin with.

mysti7188
Msg: 118
Posted: 10/29/2012 8:57:23 AM
Maybe instead of removing the conversation bar it would have been better if users could remove people from the bar with a click. I have read all the posts about the conversation bar and it seems as if more people want it than people who don't. It doesn't make sense to give the minority what they want and upset the majority.
 AttentiveFun
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2012 2:06:11 PM
Yet another poor change from POF, no doubt heading towards making a charge for being on the site. They seem to forget, its actually us that got it where it is, and if they do decide to charge, then they only have to look at the alternative sites, to see how poorly they are now performing . . . . Come on POF, time to make the right changes, and not the wrong ones . . .
 Mermaidnextdoor67
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/29/2012 6:53:33 PM
I'm fine without it ! You can always add people to your favorites or just look at who viewed me if you want to see if they are online . You can also check on the contact list underneath the inbox . Everyone is on here for different reasons . Personally I am not here to chat /email , I prefer meeting the individual to see if we get along IRL . Then prefer meeting & phoning/texting over online . Jmho . Happy fishing all !
 StrawBerryCutie89
Msg: 122
Posted: 10/29/2012 7:37:41 PM

Note the key word MAY.
Maybe it's just me, but that makes me think that perhaps they are evaluating the feature at the moment.

As I stated above, although I suspect this feature MAY be gone on a perm. basis, I still think it is still too early to jump to that conclusion, and this email only further inforces what I said to begin with.

I actually got the exact same email from pof when I emailed them about this issue. They took less than a day to respond. I know she used the word "may" but the overall tone of the message is clear... That feature is gone. Whether the change is temporary or not, I don't know. But for the moment, it's gone.

I've got to be honest, I am a little disappointed it's gone. I agree with other users who say that there are other options available, but I liked the feature and thought it was convenient with it's location and I always managed to use it somehow. But it's definitely not the end of pof as some on here might suggest though.
 cheryljune
Msg: 123
Posted: 10/30/2012 1:53:24 PM
my conversations above inbox are blocked the names of people who are online
 DiannaC3262
Msg: 124
Posted: 10/31/2012 2:30:54 AM
I use to immediately log off when I would see a name of someone that I did not want to be bothered with. However, now I see noone and I don't always remember the username of those I want to converse with! Maybe I should have just blocked the ones I was not interested in but I don't think "not interested" is a valid reason to block someone since they are not necessarily harassing me.

Having a button to select whether you want the person to see when you are online might have been a better choice.
 DiannaC3262
Msg: 125
Posted: 10/31/2012 4:41:46 PM
"Sugar" - Maybe they are in the process of updating and adding a few more options. I do block them now, at first, I just felt a little rude to do that but now I just do it even when a person has not been harassing me!
 AB_SEP
Msg: 126
Posted: 11/1/2012 4:56:59 AM
I wonder how much of the complaints about this feature and the people happy that it's gone is in any way resultant from the people who don't have a clue what it actually did -- and the people on here who should know better who let them think that so they agree with the removal of this "horrible" feature. About 80% of the people glad this feature is gone were under the impression that that bar would let anybody who had emailed them see their online status.

What it of course shows is the online status of people who have emailed you. So relax, that weird guy that kept emailing you and you never replied to doesn't see that you're online. That guy you DID email a week ago whose response was buried so far back you probably lost it when you did a mass delete of all the pervy messages you got recently does appear on there. And that, of course, is the problem with removing this feature.

Ultimately the result will be that the people who get a lot of emails have lost another way to stay in touch with somebody who they wanted to talk to: clitslayer696969 doesn't get to see your online status just because he emailed you that picture of him naked last month...who did get to see your online status were the people you had actually replied to. In other words, the people you're most likely to want to have stayed in contact with. Yes yes, now you know and you can always put them on your favourites or hope they've put you onto theirs. Of course, a month ago when this feature existed you weren't too worried about it, were you? But hey, why would you have to start acting on the theory that a random innocuous feature was disappearing suddenly?

Ultimately, if your complaint on a dating site is "people who I willingly communicated with are told when I am available to talk with them" you're doing it wrong. It's also likely the wrong place to fret about your 'privacy', especially since all you're losing is a relatively obscure bit of privacy (hey, I'm not dead!) to specific people who you have already proven to be interested in communicating with for the implied purposes of spending time with. The people cheering on this feature's deletion tended to be under the impression that the same people you saw as online were also seeing you. Shame on everybody who implicitly agreed with them.
 SweetSummerTime17
Msg: 127
Posted: 11/1/2012 3:54:49 PM
The "conversation" info that lists people you have previously sent/received an email from is back :-)
 StrawBerryCutie89
Msg: 128
Posted: 11/1/2012 3:57:45 PM
^^^
Yup, I just noticed that too! It's Back! Yay!
 AB_SEP
Msg: 129
Posted: 11/1/2012 4:31:38 PM

Yup, I just noticed that too! It's Back! Yay!

[shamelesscredit]You're welcome[/shamelesscredit]
 forum_moderator
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2012 5:06:12 PM
Well apparently I made a good point afterall eh.

This is just another KEY EXAMPLE why people need to be more mindful stating guesses as facts.

All this panic over really nothing but admin working on a feature.

Please, in the future, to everyone trying to be helpful, recognize that until you know something as a fact, please don't state it as one.

Thread closed.

I MUST ADMIT

I am rather surprised at all the people declaring that this is not temporary and is not a glitch
when to the best of my knowledge neither or admin or moderators have commented on it.

Maybe I missed something. Has anyone seem ADMIN comment on this yet?

Although I suspect this feature MAY have been removed, I wouldn't be comfortable declaring it so, like so many others on this thread.

If it was removed, I would bet it was removed because of all the complaining people did about this feature as well as the huge amount of people that would block anyone and everyone that showed up on this list.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > My onlline Conversations contacts above inbox are not showing anymore?