Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Favorites List?????Page 4 of 46    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
I use my favorites for a variety of reasons. There have been people who have made great posts and I wanted to drop them a note but couldn't because of the filters. There are also people who I added to see if they would add me back and thereby express some mutual interest and people I added so that I could pop in on their posts more easily. I've had people add me and never contact me, I've had people add me and I contact them and they don't reply, there's really no telling what people are thinking or why they do something and I wouldn't stress over it too much. Like everything in life sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and the favorites are just one more tool that people are going to use in a variety of ways.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 179
Favorites List?????
Posted: 6/26/2007 11:57:37 PM

I don't know if its just me, but i think it is hilarious that someone will put you on their favorites list and never drop you an email or anything. What is the point of being on your favorites then? Wishful thinking won' get you a date. Say hi or something. Anyone else get this?

Well, the bulk of my list is women. Some write, some don't. Some I say hello to if I happen to notice someone new, sometimes I don't. Personally ~ I've had my profile hidden for a long length of time and it still grows. I assume it's just other forum posters and I do the same thing here in forums. Sometimes I just like to read what some people have to say. I certainly don't take the list I generate or the list others generate as anything serious. I really don't believe it should show on the profile however ~ there are other sites where the friends/favorites are only viewable by the profile owner ~ I think that is a much better option. Goodness, if my list were indicative of my personal life ~ one might conclude I actually have a life...now that is funnnneeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! JMO
 nowofo
Msg: 180
Favorites List?????
Posted: 6/27/2007 4:11:04 PM
So far adding someone to the fav's list is the only way I've found to see when someone last logged on. I know some people might get freaked cuz they were added without contact but I'm not going to wast my time if they haven't logged on in 6 months!
 EC22
Msg: 190
Favorites List?????
Posted: 7/2/2007 8:45:57 AM

It's been my experience that at least 80% of the people who have me on their list never contact me and probably almost the same percentage of people who do contact me don't have me on their list....so go figure...

I have noticed this as well. IMO the favorite list isn't a big deal.
 KrakenReborn
Msg: 197
Favorites List?????
Posted: 7/8/2007 7:41:46 AM
Well I can understand wanting somebody to contact them first, but I had people place me on that had a "Must live within 75 miles", so I couldn't..
 ttp
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 7/23/2007 4:47:29 PM
Yep I agree what do u think i am gonna view it and say hi? What are u hiding? Why don't u be real and introduce yourselves. It is already awkward meeting someone on the internet already so to play games is really not attractive.
 His Eminence
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 7/23/2007 5:48:25 PM
SO very much PRISINESS regarding such a trivial matter!!

I have never felt the need to question, OR OBJECT, to the fact EVERY gorgeous woman on here, has added ME to her Favorites LIST!
 valsalva22
Msg: 214
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/6/2007 3:25:45 PM

We should have a list labeled, "People we are interested in, and want to contact" or something to that effect.

I agree, fav's should be for people we've met.

Wow, all these people with hangups about what a list is called and who adds who! Who cares!!!!

Another guy making a thread about why he should call someone a week in advance for a date! I swear some people have too much time on their hands and too much to think about. Get a hobby!

(and I'm not insinuating it should be drinking, lol)
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/28/2007 8:17:06 PM
This topics been done to death. Everyone has their own reasons for adding other's to their list and several of those reasons have been listed time and time again.

I find looking at profiles with "XYZ appears on 123456789 people's favourite list" quite a turn off, to me that says not that the person is "popular" but rather not selective enough and accept all as some (fragile) ego boost.

I take offense to that and so would several of my friends on here who have been members for a very long time. No one should be judged by the amt. of favorites they have regardless of whether it's high or low because they have no control over it....

Some of the women on a thread just like this one ran a test last year to prove a point and deleted ALL their favorites. Within a month they were ALL back showing there's no point to wasting your time by doing something like that. They all had high numbers! None of the women needed any kind of (fragile) ego boost. Most of the women WERE popular because they frequented the forums with meaningful posts that showed how much they cared about others. They all had many friends...online as well as off! They all felt it didn't matter how many were on their list anyway because that list mattered not.

The number of favorites we're on has nothing to do with being selective either unless we were chosing/selecting the member's list to place ourselves on. We're not choosing them, they're chosing/selecting us for whatever reasons they have. (We select the one's on our list) Hopefully some day they'll write to explain it but in the mean time I'm certainly not going to make anyone feel bad by removing myself from their list when I don't even know why they put me on... especially someone who pays me a compliment by thinking I'm interesting enough to place on theirs. If putting me on their favorite list makes them happy, that's fine with me!!

sassyansweet
Msg: 218
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/28/2007 11:58:48 PM
I delete ppl that never talk to me after soo much time has past.....I have even contacted them and they read and not reasond...I just find that creepy!! Why do u have me as a fav and not talk to me....
 Leigh AKA PL
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/29/2007 4:57:56 AM

This topics been done to death. Everyone has their own reasons for adding other's to their list and several of those reasons have been listed time and time again.

I find looking at profiles with "XYZ appears on 123456789 people's favourite list" quite a turn off, to me that says not that the person is "popular" but rather not selective enough and accept all as some (fragile) ego boost.

I take offense to that and so would several of my friends on here who have been members for a very long time. No one should be judged by the amt. of favorites they have regardless of whether it's high or low because they have no control over it....

Some of the women on a thread just like this one ran a test last year to prove a point and deleted ALL their favorites. Within a month they were ALL back showing there's no point to wasting your time by doing something like that. They all had high numbers! None of the women needed any kind of (fragile) ego boost. Most of the women WERE popular because they frequented the forums with meaningful posts that showed how much they cared about others. They all had many friends...online as well as off! They all felt it didn't matter how many were on their list anyway because that list mattered not.

The number of favorites we're on has nothing to do with being selective either unless we were chosing/selecting the member's list to place ourselves on. We're not choosing them, they're chosing/selecting us for whatever reasons they have. (We select the one's on our list) Hopefully some day they'll write to explain it but in the mean time I'm certainly not going to make anyone feel bad by removing myself from their list when I don't even know why they put me on... especially someone who pays me a compliment by thinking I'm interesting enough to place on theirs. If putting me on their favorite list makes them happy, that's fine with me!!

As one of your friends UZP I completely agree with you about taking offense to that quote... my gawd people lighten up will you.... listening to people saying "how dare they add me to their list" lol lol.... take it as a compliment,I sure do.... also I add people who I enjoy on the forums,it is a way of keeping track of their postings.... if your a regular here and been here for a while you get to know a lot of interesting people from all walks of life,I have had the pleasure of talking to many people I would never have met if not for this site and yes I put them on my fav list to keep in touch.I am sure glad that my man wasn't put of by my fav list or we would never have met and fallen in love,he understands it is just a friends list not a lovers list for goodness sake.
 princess1969
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/29/2007 5:03:57 AM
The same thing happens to me. I think I am on about 19 guys favourite lists and I only talk with 2 or 3 of them. I have often wondered too why they bother to add you if they won't chat with you.
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/30/2007 8:10:57 AM

I have often wondered too why they bother to add you if they won't chat with you.

If you search this topic you'll come up with several reasons. Here are a few......

1. They don't have much time online and happen to see you, feel an interest, but can't write at the time so they put you on their list as a reminder to come back to you.
2. They're not sure how they feel and need time to think.
3. They're a "forum person" and really enjoy your posts. I've had members write to me thanking me for various posts that have helped them and asking me if they could put me on their favorites just to follow my threads! What compliment that was!!
4. They think you're attractive and enjoy your wonderful smile.
5. They enjoy your forever changing pics.
6. They feel your profile is so well written that they'd like to refer back to it.
7. They feel you're a good match for someone they know and want to pull you up later to show that person.
8. They're shy or lack confidence and hoping that by adding you, you'll make the first move and certainly know they're interested.

There are lots of reasons someone may add you and I'm sure most are good so when someone does, smile and accept it as a compliment.
 JWA
Msg: 224
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/30/2007 6:19:26 PM

They all had high numbers! None of the women needed any kind of (fragile) ego boost. Most of the women WERE popular because they frequented the forums with meaningful posts that showed how much they cared about others.

This just can NOT have any basis in fact at all! Those who visit and post in the forums account for 1% or less of the entire POF registered membership so it's impossible someone would appear on a high number of Favorites List for this reason alone.

Nearly everyone who is attractive and/or has great photos will attact a lot of attention which leads to being "saved" in a list for many many reasons. Forum posts are NOT the overwhelming reason anyone appears on anothers list.

Who cares really? If someone doesn't talk to you because of this alone is it really that big a deal? I hardly think so!
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/30/2007 9:11:14 PM

This just can NOT have any basis in fact at all! Those who visit and post in the forums account for 1% or less of the entire POF registered membership so it's impossible someone would appear on a high number of Favorites List for this reason alone.

Forum posts are NOT the overwhelming reason anyone appears on anothers list.

Impossible huh? Do you know how many people are in the registered community? There were over 55,000 online last night. Do you know what 1% of 55,000 is? : ) I believe it's 550! I consider anyone over 100 to have high numbers!!! Now that's way lower than 1%!!! and very possible! The forum community is a very close one and used to be even closer.
However, I never said they ALL came from that though and if you read my last post I even listed reasons members get added. I did say that the ones who participated with deleting all their favorites that time they ran the test had high numbers and that most of them were popular forum members. That didn't mean that's where they all came from but...it is possible!

Who cares really?
I agree...I don't care what reason someone has for putting me on their list. As I said before, if it makes them happy........I'm happy and I'll take it as a compliment.
 MsTree
Msg: 227
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/30/2007 9:21:14 PM
I contacted some that have me on their favorite list, and I never got a response. So what is with that? I just don't understand. I tried to force the issue with one fellow, and he blocked me! If anyone has an answer, please let me know.
 Leigh AKA PL
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 8/31/2007 12:09:23 PM

Nearly everyone who is attractive and/or has great photos will attact a lot of attention which leads to being "saved" in a list for many many reasons. Forum posts are NOT the overwhelming reason anyone appears on anothers list.

so is that the reason why you added me honey?

come on .... I don't have that many on my fav list,but the few I have added... 90% are from the forums... where do you get these facts from honey?

Impossible huh? Do you know how many people are in the registered community? There were over 55,000 online last night. Do you know what 1% of 55,000 is? : ) I believe it's 550! I consider anyone over 100 to have high numbers!!! Now that's way lower than 1%!!! and very possible! The forum community is a very close one and used to be even closer.

as usual UZP you read my mind.... listen to this wise women... she is good and love her wise wisdom.xx
 MsTree
Msg: 231
Favorites List?????
Posted: 9/1/2007 2:47:13 PM
Yeah but when you have written them, and they still don't take you off. What is that about?
 1BATMAN
Msg: 232
Favorites List?????
Posted: 9/4/2007 3:20:04 PM
Hey ZIP,
GOT YOUR BACK 100% ON THIS ONE !!!!!!!!!!!
Favorites List?????
Posted: 9/4/2007 7:13:19 PM
Sometimes when somebody puts me on their favorites list it get's my attention as I had not noticed them before. It has worked as I have contacted people that have added me.
 TitusBreast
Msg: 237
Favorites List?????
Posted: 9/4/2007 7:30:10 PM
I like the forums. I've added people to my favorites list based on many things: attitude,
looks (many of my favorites bear a very strong resemblance to one another...hmmm, curious), and sense of humor, to name a few. I added the last one because I like his schoolbus pug nose. I haven't messaged many of them at all. I like their pictures when I happen upon them. I also dislike when they change their profile, or delete their profile cuz of some broad, or something. The picture is gone from my favorite faces collection, then. It's such a drag.
 Krimiariver
Msg: 241
Favorites List?????
Posted: 9/5/2007 7:15:57 AM
What I don't understand is how or why somebody put me on their favorites list when I have no profile and my email is locked up. It's a mystery. What possibly could be the reason for it?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 9/5/2007 7:44:25 AM
People add people to their favourites list for lots of reasons. The best way to find out is to ask them. That way, if they like you, you might end up with a date.
 kj1707
Msg: 244
Favorites List?????
Posted: 9/6/2007 8:54:22 AM
I think about 70 out of the 151 people who's favorites list I am on have wrote me. I am just picky and don't respond to many...As for me adding people to my favorites; it happens only few and far between.

I think if you add someone you should definatly write them. It's common sense, why put them on your favorites if you have no intention of talking to them?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >