Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EagleEric
Msg: 363
Favorites List?????Page 6 of 46    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
I have women who put me on their favorite's list then a few days later take me off. I wish I understood their motivation. I'd probably have a couple of hundred by now it they had all stayed around.

In the past, I used to thank them, but I then realized what am I thanking them for? I've made women my favorites simply because I liked what they had to say in their profiles, and I didn't require any thanks.

The Eagle
 redkatt
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 4/20/2008 12:15:06 PM
I'm so glad you brought this issue up texasguy because I've been wondering about this myself. I've had this happen quite a few times and simply just don't get it. Why add me a favorite them not send an e-mail?

All I can write is that if the person doesn't send an e-mail to tell me their interested then how am I supposed to know what their intensions really are.

Sorry but my crystal ball is broken, so poop or get off the pot.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 372
Favorites List?????
Posted: 4/20/2008 1:22:06 PM

ohhh.....what do you mean your favs can talk to each other.

Hmm no way I'm aware of, perhaps they're confusing favs with the Psychic Friends Network?
 JustMe1975
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:30:08 PM
I totally agree with you on this one!! Why add someone to your favorites list if you have no idea what this person is like. If someone adds me as a favorite and I have never talked to them I will delete them without giving them a second thought. I have also sent men messages asking why they have added me as a favorite and gotten many different responses from just to get your attention to them calling me a ****. If you can't take the time to send me a message, don't take the time to add me as a favorite either!
 vivaciousvixen2
Msg: 374
Favorites List?????
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:55:31 PM
wow, this may sound rude but i deleted the few contacts (2 possible friends) of my favorites list a few weeks ago but i am on about 80. it seems like more of a
"voyeurism" thing then something for real friendship or a relationship.
 teeajay
Msg: 377
Favorites List?????
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:18:43 PM
A few weeks ago, I checked out the profile of a lady who appeared to be slim and physically attractive based on her pics. However, her narrative, in which she related some repeatedly bad choices, reflected questionable judgment on her part (i.e., mostly guys using her, stealing her money, etc.). Nonetheless, despite her "hard luck" tale, this woman who had 1500 "favorites."

Now, in reading her profile, she didn't appear to be all that deep or interesting , but, as I stated, her photos depicted her to be very lovely, though not "drop-dead gorgeous" (at least not to me). The reason for such a high number of "faves" I suspect had probably something to do with a series of suggestive photos she included, one of which has her on a sofa and coquettishly simulating auto-erotic behavior.

Curiosity prompted me to eventually contact this person to see if there was any depth to her character, and after couple chats, she asked me if we could get together, to which I graciously declined, the punchline being her final response "That's okay, I got over a thousand guys interested in me!"

I still chuckle when I think of that.

TJ
 bucsgirl
Msg: 379
Favorites List?????
Posted: 4/20/2008 8:57:59 PM

Excuse me! How can anyone go on your fav list without your knowledge or without asking?

Favs lists...like "viewed me", the "needs assessment" ad nauseum.

It's a feature offered by the admin of the site. Nothing more, nothing less...it is what it is...yes, I am one that if it were my site, I wouldn't have the number "visible".

It's not MY site, so as a member, I accept and join or not.

I read the rules before I joined and read the posting rules and persued the forums before I ever posted.

There are features, options that have been added since, some are still here, some aren't. When admin adds a new feature, I read about it and decide if I want to "participate"...use it or not. Admin does ask for input, I'll make a comment, and that's it.

The features that are available to members, some I use some I don't. I do take the time to read and understand how they are intended to "work".

That's my choice, same as any other member. I'll give my input and leave it at that. I'd never expect the admin of any site to change the options offered on their site because I would do it differently.

The favs list does appear on the profile. It's admin's choice, and it doesn't affect what I enjoy so much about being here that I'd delete my profile.

"Much ado about nothing" Bill Shakespeare..or Willy..if it's that important or someone has to check and see if they've had a first meet and see "waa...he has no roses and he didn't send me one" and change in any way shape or fashion their interaction with someone based on that.

It is what it is...I've sent at least as many if not more "roses" and virtual gifts to my galpals.

Yes, please, don't write me or save me to favs....I'm such an attention whore and so on an ego trip! I wouldn't respond anyway!!

*snap fingers* Ahh...another juicy idea for another profile!!
 motownmaniax
Msg: 381
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/8/2008 6:09:08 AM
I'm sure this has already been covered but I'm not going to wade through 20-pages of posts.

Every once in awhile I get some snide comments from women belittling me about having so many favs, like I've been furiously adding women to up my count and implying I'm some sort of player.

Listen people, the number you see on your profiles are people that added you to "their" list, not your own list. Mine only has 17 entries. The list you see on my profile has 174. It's the count of others that added me to theirs, which I have no control over. People can see a profile and simply click on the line "Add to favorites" if they're interested. As many have already said, that 99.999% of the time there's no follow goes without saying.

My only complaint with the women I see that have 300+, 400+, 500+, etc. (one has a whopping 1400+!!!) is with all that obvious attention, quit sitting on the fence and friggin' PICK one, for crissakes???

Btw, I've already inquired about having a "Delete All" feature for both favs lists so we can do a quick deletion without having to remove each one individually.
 amaze me
Msg: 384
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/8/2008 9:04:52 AM
My favourites list. My choice as to what to do with it. Same goes for women.

I have all kinds of reasons for putting somebody on my faves list. Maybe I like what they have to say in the forums. Maybe I'm just perving on their pics. Its all good.
 archerchic
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/8/2008 9:28:06 AM
I'm on peoples favorties lists I've never even spoke to! Don't get it!
 Celtic_Angel
Msg: 391
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/13/2008 1:46:52 PM
The only people that have me on their favorites list are people who have become my friends that I have met at various events that I have attended. If someone I don't know adds me, I delete them.
 chickalina
Msg: 397
view profile
History
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/13/2008 4:31:53 PM
I almost peed my pants laughing when I read your blurb. Yes I have had people do that to me. I emailed on guy back and said why the hell did you put me on your favorites and then never email me? He said he was saving me for later. Saving me - what the hell is that supposed to mean. When he got through everyone he really wanted and they didn't want him that he would contact me - uh not
 lilmslefty
Msg: 399
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/14/2008 8:12:38 AM
I put people on my Favorites list who I've become friends with, and as a way of bookmarking the profiles that I find interesting and want to respond to. If I receive notification that someone has added me to their Favorites list, I send them a brief note thanking them. I do usually ask why, and in most cases get a response. If I don't, I'll check my mail settings to see if perhaps one of my settings is preventing them from contacting me.
 lilmslefty
Msg: 404
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/14/2008 10:41:40 AM
Hi magnanimous one:

Your can turn on the feature by going into "Mail Settings", scrolling down to the bottom of the page. There you'll find a statement that says " Receive email when someone adds you to favorites (3 per day max).Next to it is a drop down box where you can choose either 'Yes' or 'No'.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 413
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/14/2008 5:58:23 PM
Son Shine...women can initiate contact and do. I've gone out with more than one young galypal..out to a bar and shown them how it's done. Now just because it's a public place...never tried to walk up to a man at..well umm...Denny's. Not yet anyway...

I have stories I won't bore anyone with here.

It's all about having fun and enjoying your life and whatever is happening or making it happen. Fun and dating...yeah should be a combo...*sigh* too often not.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have fun here, meeting oodles of interesting people...been blessed enough to have a chance to get to know many outstanding ones. And a very few less than stellar...pfft....I do try to be kind as I can be, even if they're not deserving and I have to hit block. Well at least I tried. I don't wish them anything awful...they're still fragile human souls and while I do feel sorry for them. I'm not a martyr...not a social worker so well not up to me...I can't "fix" anyone and don't ever attempt to try.

It's just an email...I've had read/delete too. I don't make an issue about it, get my widdle feelings hurt....if I want to write someone I will. How they respond (or don't) isn't up to me...so whatever happens or doesn't I don't get all tied up in knots over.

This website (yeah like life..) is so much what each of us make of it. I love to meet, interact and talk to people...I have tons of fun doing it here and in life. Does it always "work"...meaning (I guess) is the outcome what I expected...of course not. Not always..but that won't ever keep me from hitting a "contact user button" and firing off an email. And 99.97936% of the time, I'm delighted when someone writes me. For whatever reason.

It may be the internet (yeah I know DUH) but it's still the human touch. A chance, an opportunity to interact with another human. Love it!!
 motownmaniax
Msg: 414
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/15/2008 4:10:36 AM
There seems to be a few "Favorites" threads floating around, and not to sound redundant, but I wrote some of this on another thread....

Some people like adding to their favs. Not sure why if 99% of the people on here never follow up, but to each their own I guess. Personally I don't like the feature because of the problems already stated. People think a high count portrays you as some sort of player or attention whore, even though most don't seem to realize the count you see is other people adding you to "their" lists, not you adding them to yours. There's a big difference.

Right now we don't have the ability to delete or hide the favorite count on our own profiles.

How about this: Maybe still allow people to add you to their favs but don't show the count on your profile? If people can't see how many favs you have there won't be any judgment, right?

It should be a simple programming change; just have a checkbox in your Mail Settings that says "Show Favorites?" checkbox (clicked or checked means yes, default is blank, or no)

This way if people "choose" to show how many people have added them to a fav list they can certainly be accused of attention-getting (at the very least ~wink).

Problem solved.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 417
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/15/2008 5:18:00 PM
You can't, that's my whole point.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 426
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/16/2008 4:05:40 AM
To some that have made the simple suggestion of just removing yourself from other's lists, if you have more than a 100/200/300/etc. it can be very time consuming, and plainly impractical for people with huge counts.

Also forgotten is there's no mechanism to stop anyone from just adding you again.

If POF wants to keep favorites but NOT give individuals more control to edit the list quickly (like a "Delete All" or an individual checkbox feature to quickly get rid of profiles you don't want) or simply hide it, then I'll keeping voicing my objections.
 lilmslefty
Msg: 429
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/21/2008 6:07:27 AM
Eddie2704:

Just wanted you to know that I, like curveyone, respond to all emails I receive. Would be rude not to. So, does that make me two in a million???????
 motownmaniax
Msg: 430
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/21/2008 11:14:56 AM
Latest email regarding our ever popular Favs....

ON a 167 members list, how are YOU doing.

Liked your profile, sound like a player. Your a guy.

However, if you ever come to god's country meaning Cape Cod let me know!!

Take care, Donna

Typical. She managed to call me a player "and" wants me to look her up. Nice backhanded "compliment"...lol. DELETE.

Next!
 looking4lv
Msg: 439
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/23/2008 6:38:45 PM
I can agree and respectfully disagree with some of the comments here. Personally I put men on my favorite list as a reminder to say hello later...sometimes I am just responding to e-mails, or checking out the forum and don't have the time to really read their profile, or that I find them interesting and want to be able to find then at a later date.

I also have to admit that not everyone that has added me to their fav. list I have spoken with, but I chose to be proactive and say hello anyways, the response is usually a good one.

If people are adding you and then deleting your message, you should delete them.
I have also had men who have added me, just to keep track of me online, even though I have told them that I do not think we are a good match....I call that stalking so I usually just delete them. Other than that I just maintain a nice online friendship with my contacts, just casual chat, and nothing more, why not? am still single....

relax people, this is after all a dating/friendship site and it can also be called good networking...continue to have fun and safe fishing to all
 lilmslefty
Msg: 445
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/29/2008 9:53:58 AM
So Eddie2704:

I do think you're more than good enough to be on my Favorites list. I find your posts interesting, thought provoking and would like to keep abreast of them. And it was nice of you to say I'm two in a million. Was just teasing, but thanks for that!

So, it would be an honor and a privilege if you would allow me to add you to my Favorites list. And should you ever be so inclined to drop me a note, if only to say hello, know that I'll reply!
 motownmaniax
Msg: 447
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/30/2008 4:20:51 AM

OP: I gave a toaster out to #500 on my list. She wasn't impressed, but I thought it was a nice thing to do.

Wonder what bullielover gives out at 1,000? I'm holding out for a new microwave.
 a12004h
Msg: 448
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/30/2008 4:40:58 AM
It's the ones that put you on their favorite lists and will not respond even if you write them that really puzzles me.

Let's see, I am your favorite and you will not even communicate with me by email.

I always wonder if they will talk to anyone if they won't talk to their favorites.
 The_Fat_Bandit
Msg: 450
Favorites List?????
Posted: 5/30/2008 6:50:20 AM
I've never been put on anyone's favorite list.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >