Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jaqi
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What wrong with swearing?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
In my job I have to listen to it all day, every day. I don't have any quarms pulling my colleagues up when their swear words overtake the entire sentence they're speaking and invariably they will apologise especially when I pull them up for using the 'c' word. The cons will also apologise and don't appear to swear in front of females half as much as the staff do. Of course there are plenty of female staff who use foul language on a regular basis too.

Personally I don't like to hear it and don't use it unless I have got completely stressed out with something or someone and then I may inadvertantly let the odd 'F' word out ... I have read somewhere though that swearing is actually good for you when used in stressful situations! That's my excuse for the odd word or two and I'm sticking to it!
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 14
view profile
History
What wrong with swearing?
Posted: 11/2/2012 12:14:28 AM
as has already been said above, there`s a time and place, i never swear in in a womans presence unless she`s comfy with it, and swears herself,

on the other hand, in work, i often swear like a trooper ( comes natural when you drop something heavy on your foot i s`pose ) :O)
 PROTON67
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/2/2012 10:22:23 AM
Filth can only come out of a person if filth is inside of a person.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2012 7:14:07 AM
Some posts incite profantities in me old chap. ;-)
 Bookbelle
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2012 3:53:06 PM
Like others have said, there is a time and a place.

If I'm alone in the house and painfully stub my toe, I might let a word out - but not too loudly, because I wouldn't want the neighbours to hear.

I don't like hearing kids swearing, or people who use it for every other word without some really good reason. Swearing in the presence of children, especially when the person continues to do so, and loudly, after being asked to tone it down for the sake of young ears, is one particular bugbear of mine. I'm only 22, and I especially find this a problem with teenagers and twentysomethings.

Another one that bugs me is continual/prolonged/loud swearing in a confined space, or somewhere it is difficult to move away. If I'm on a bus for an hour, and have no other way to get to my destination, I do not want to be stuck on a bus where I can't get away from it. Likewise, if I'm in a queue at the bank/in a shop for something I really need to get, and don't have the option of just doing it another time.
It's just basic consideration and courtesy to other people.

Within context, I have no problem with swearing.
If I listen to rap and hip hop, I generally expect effing and liberal use of colourful language. The CDs come with explicit content warning labels for that purpose.
Likewise with TV shows after the watershed. (Though I often find that the tv channel will introduce the show with something like, "with strong language from the start, here's..." if that's the case.)
If I'm watching Tim Minchin, I know his performances aren't generally something I'd share with my grandparents, but I still find it hilarious.
For me, it is sometimes a case of whether or not I am *expecting* it.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >