Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bamagrl68
Msg: 137
Should men cover up their gray hair?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
MyOwnMan4ever- I was born a red head (strawberry blond), for a long time I hated having red hair, I even had more than one person tell me I should color it blond.
I love having red hair now, it makes me different and it's a part of who I am.
Covering your grey hair might make you look younger, but only change it if YOU want to change it.
I will ALWAYS stand by the opinion that changing yourself for someone else isn't a good thing, one of the most important indicators of true, lasting love is being accepted as is.
 Bachelorette.Number1
Msg: 139
Should men cover up their gray hair?
Posted: 5/18/2014 8:40:11 PM
I'm with ya honky tonk.

Just say no. Coloring your hair dude, is a bad idea.
It repels me.
And I'll tell ya why. To me, men are supposed to be secure. In themselves. The hell with their hair and the hell with their ugly feet. Pay a little attention to your teeth and your abs and you'll be just fine.
 14everBlessed2
Msg: 140
Posted: 5/18/2014 11:55:02 PM
I just had to chime in on this. As a cosmetology student (getting ready to take the boards and be licensed) I see nothing wrong with coloring your hair if it makes you feel good about yourself. After all I would not have a job if people did not like to change things up whether it be a new hairstyle, color, etc. I don't mind gray hair on a man or woman but not everyone transitions to gray hair gracefully, (myself included) some look like they have a brillo pad on top of their head . There are rinses to brighten the grey and bring out the silvery shimmers and diffuse the dullness. And yes , have a professional do it. The popular men's formulas contain metallics which are not good for you (not to say the other coloring doesn't have risks either.) Either way you decide, own your individual " look" and personal style.
 Ainen
Msg: 141
Posted: 5/19/2014 8:06:32 AM
Don't color your hair! Go with the natural grey / silver / white.

There was a terrible TV ad for men's hair coloring. It featured Keith Hernandez (who I dislike, cokehead, pretty boy, a disgrace to the baseball uniform) and another jock doing "sports play-by-play" of a man at a bar trying to pick up a woman. First the man has his natural hair with some grey. The announcers react to him "striking out" as she rejects him for having grey hairs. Then the man uses the advertised product and has all dark brown hair. He approaches a woman and succeeds with her because she likes the dark hair without any grey. The announcers cheer his "score".

Alternatives to showing the grey include shaving your head or wearing hats, but coloring is not a good idea.
 cooldog65
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2014 4:34:52 PM
^^^^^ The other "jock"in the commercial is retired NBA legend Walt "Clyde" Frazier. The basis of the commercial is that the guy is "reeejected!" because the gray makes him appear to look older. Losing the gray is supposed to make him appear younger and more virile.

I see nothing wrong with covering the gray as long as it looks natural. If it doesn't match your eyebrows, it can look as fake as a bad toupee.

Now the old ladies with the purple hair...
 easterparadehat
Msg: 143
Posted: 6/9/2014 9:40:30 PM
I believe women are held to a higher standard of beauty and the age when they are ignored hits younger (40s). I don't know what culture you've lived in but women are expected to be attractive in the United States and aging is a sin.
 Chambelle
Msg: 145
Posted: 6/14/2014 3:37:46 AM
NO need to cover up gray hair.. it can(?) look distinguished
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >