Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > people who are listed as non smokers who don't do drugs yet use marij      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AddHomonym
Msg: 26
people who are listed as non smokers who don't do drugs yet use marijuanaPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The "facts" about marijuana are unclear at best. The glaring lack of case studies and other scientific endeavours will change very quickly now that the U.S. is beginning to move towards legalization. The propaganda used against pot is ridiculous. I would seriously doubt that even 9% of the population gets addicted to smoking pot. All of the information I read up on (back when I cared) was perfectly clear on the fact that canabis is non-addictive. Some people will develop a kind of dependence (that 9% I'm guessing) that is similar to addictions but it isn't the same thing. Habit-forming was the term used, I believe.

In my own experience, I am certainly addicted to smoking tobacco and I was put on long term morphine use for several years. Those are addictions. The physiological turmoil when the drug is not available are awful. Pot is absolutely nothing like those drugs. You'd have better luck convincing me that bubble gum is addictive.

I live in Vancouver BC, serious heroin addiction is rampant here. Children don't play in parks with bare feet. When you work outside downtown, the day begins by doing a needle sweep across the work site. Shattered souls shuffle about the streets at all hours of the day and night in some parts of the city. I know people in East Van who don't lock their cars at night because they are tired of paying for new windows. Petty property crimes and break-ins are commonplace. Many of these problems are generally associated with addiction issues. We also have InSite here to try and help address some of this. As far as I understand it, this city is one of the most progressive in NA in trying to face addictions from a healthcare perspective.

Pot smoking is not the problem. At all. When I was in college, I had friends who did heroin and others who smoked pot. They were totally different crowds who didn't really like one another all that much. One of the high-functioning junkies died of an overdose. The worst I've ever seen a pot head suffer was a coughing fit or maybe laughing until they peed. I'm not trying to demonize heroin addicts or anyone else but these are very real issues and you cannot equate them to pot smoking no matter how much you would like to.

I get that some of you really, really hate pot or any kind of smoke at all or whatever else. I'm glad you have these nifty filters, I'm certain they are serving you well. I'm talking about folks who aren't all worked up about this issue however and recent political events would suggest that there are an awful lot of them out there. For these people, your nifty anti-drug filter is overkill. We have all sorts of drop-down options to fill out on our profiles, why should a "What kind of drugs do you use" one make much difference to you? Some people could still check off every option in hopes that no drug users will contact them while others would have the choice to be more selective.

My last point is one that I'm tired of making. Filters can only prevent someone who filled out their profile honestly from contacting you. Anyone can make up a profile and say whatever they like specifically to get around your filters, if they so choose. I can go change my profile to say I don't smoke or use drugs right now and send you all the messages I like. POF doesn't have the magical ability to make the bad people go away. The worst of them are doing this right now and there is no way for you to know or do anything about it. You simply have to rely upon your own smarts and ability to ask the right questions. Better filters might be helpful too.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 27
people who are listed as non smokers who don't do drugs yet use marijuana
Posted: 11/21/2012 11:29:57 AM
The "facts" about marijuana are unclear at best. The glaring lack of case studies and other scientific endeavours will change very quickly now that the U.S. is beginning to move towards legalization. The propaganda used against pot is ridiculous. I would seriously doubt that even 9% of the population gets addicted to smoking pot. All of the information I read up on (back when I cared) was perfectly clear on the fact that canabis is non-addictive. Some people will develop a kind of dependence (that 9% I'm guessing) that is similar to addictions but it isn't the same thing. Habit-forming was the term used, I believe.
You're making a distinction between something that is habit-forming and addictive? Just because someone doesn't have physical withdrawal symptoms doesn't mean they aren't addicted to something.

I live in Vancouver BC, serious heroin addiction is rampant here. Children don't play in parks with bare feet. When you work outside downtown, the day begins by doing a needle sweep across the work site. Shattered souls shuffle about the streets at all hours of the day and night in some parts of the city. I know people in East Van who don't lock their cars at night because they are tired of paying for new windows. Petty property crimes and break-ins are commonplace. Many of these problems are generally associated with addiction issues. We also have InSite here to try and help address some of this. As far as I understand it, this city is one of the most progressive in NA in trying to face addictions from a healthcare perspective.
Having lived most of my life in the Lower Mainland, I am fully aware of the issues Vancouver has with drugs. The issues you speak of are mostly on the Downtown Eastside. Furthermore, just because you have a fairly concentrated area where drug addicts are found, doesn't mean that pot smokers aren't also a problem. That's like saying that it's okay to steal from a store because other people rob banks, and that's so much worse. Regardless of any "progress" Vancouver may have with drugs, the drug issues the city has have far more causes than simply people making poor decisions. You conveniently leave out the fact that the Downtown Eastside has a very high transient population, that homeless people from all over flock to the city because of the relatively moderate climate (as compared to other places in Canada), that the BC government closed mental health facilities that forced those with mental disorders onto the streets where they were easy prey for drug dealers, etc.... The population of the DES is not indicative of that of the rest of the province, so should not be used as a base for what "normal" is.

Pot smoking is not the problem. At all. When I was in college, I had friends who did heroin and others who smoked pot. They were totally different crowds who didn't really like one another all that much. One of the high-functioning junkies died of an overdose. The worst I've ever seen a pot head suffer was a coughing fit or maybe laughing until they peed. I'm not trying to demonize heroin addicts or anyone else but these are very real issues and you cannot equate them to pot smoking no matter how much you would like to.

It's not up to you to determine other people's morality. It does not make one close-minded to choose not to associate with those who do things they don't agree with either. You don't get to decide for other people if pot smoking is not a problem -- they get to decide that FOR THEMSELVES. If someone partakes in an activity that I do not wish to be around, I have every right to choose not to be around them. Just because it may not be problematic FOR YOU, doesn't mean it's not for other people.

I get that some of you really, really hate pot or any kind of smoke at all or whatever else. I'm glad you have these nifty filters, I'm certain they are serving you well.
Yep, they did serve me well. I met my SO on POF. We live together now and are discussing marriage. He doesn't smoke or do drugs (both of which I filtered for). I enjoy the forums and only still have my account here for that reason (it is hidden from searches and clearly states not to contact me because I am in a committed relationship). So, filters helped me to find someone that IS a good match for me because it prevented those who would not be a good match from contacting me.

I'm talking about folks who aren't all worked up about this issue however and recent political events would suggest that there are an awful lot of them out there. For these people, your nifty anti-drug filter is overkill. We have all sorts of drop-down options to fill out on our profiles, why should a "What kind of drugs do you use" one make much difference to you?
I don't care what other people do in their lives, but that does not mean I have to accept it into my own. If I don't want to be around those who do drugs, then I have every right to use the filters to help me in MY search. The filter made a difference for me because it helped me eliminate those from my search who would NOT have made a good match for me. Rather than wasting each others' time, we could each focus on those who do share our lifestyle/beliefs.

Filters can only prevent someone who filled out their profile honestly from contacting you.
While liars can get around the filter, that's up to me as an individual to determine upon meeting someone. If someone filled out their profile honestly (and I did appreciate when someone did when I was searching), then they've saved both of us time because by filling it out honestly, they made it clear that we would not be a match. No one is saying that POF filters "magically" make "bad people go away" -- what we are saying is that it's a tool to HELP eliminate those who would not be good matches from contacting us. Why would anyone want to contact someone knowing that they wouldn't be a good match for them, after all? Isn't the point of POF to help people meet those who would be a good fit in each others' lives (in whatever capacity they are looking for)?
 AddHomonym
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/21/2012 12:27:03 PM
Barefootkitten, I think you are confused, neither I nor any other person on this planet really gives a shit what you think about smoking pot, it isn't any more of your business than your choice not to smoke is any of mine. Nobody is trying to get you to start smoking anything but there sure are some outspoken and opinionated people trying to eradicate smoking from the face of the earth.

My comments about heroin and canabis were directed at another poster's comments where equivalency arguments were made. I addressed those points.

I can't comment on medical terminology or definitions since I'm not a doctor. What I can tell you about is what I've learned and I did so. If you have a problem with the definition of addiction, tell it to the College of Physicians. I do know that society (specifically the uneducated yet all-knowing part) is absolutely mental with assigning the label "addiction" to just about everything they don't like. Smoking pot is nothing like heroin and it doesn't matter what you call it, they are totally different issues.

There is also a desperation out there for all drugs to be lumped together under one umbrella. I think this is largely driven by serious drug users who want to slip into the legalization debates unnoticed and get a free ride because the rest of society is finally waking up to the fact that pot isn't a big deal. It does make some sense to do this from a justice perspective, I will concede that point. Prohibition never worked and it never will. Legalization is the best way forward to address the societal problems caused by Prohibition.

This discussion is about POF and the confusion surrounding filters, as explained in the original post. My main points address this by pointing out one source of that confusion - overly broad and wide-sweeping filters. It's really quite simple. Give people the option to be more clear and there will be less confusion.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/21/2012 12:48:40 PM
Barefootkitten, I think you are confused, neither I nor any other person on this planet really gives a shit what you think about smoking pot, it isn't any more of your business than your choice not to smoke is any of mine. Nobody is trying to get you to start smoking anything but there sure are some outspoken and opinionated people trying to eradicate smoking from the face of the earth.
addhomonym, I think you are the confused one. You're trying to convince people that filters are ridiculous. I don't give a rat's azz if you, or anyone else, wants to smoke pot. I do, however, care that people IN MY LIFE not do it because it makes me ill. This is a site designed to help people meet others to let into THEIR LIVES. If I, or anyone else chooses to filter out those who would not make a good match because of a difference of values, then it's our right to do so. In no way did I take you, or anyone else to be "trying to get me" to start smoking; I was, however, making the point that filters serve a useful purpose for those of us who choose not involve ourselves with those who do drugs.

Smoking pot is nothing like heroin and it doesn't matter what you call it, they are totally different issues.
Where did I say they are the same? You are trying to compare apples to oranges. Just because a person may consider one bad, doesn't mean the other is automatically okay to that person. For me, both are equally unacceptable for someone I choose to have in my life. For you, perhaps heroin is unacceptable, but pot is not. You're missing the point that it's up to each individual to determine for themselves what is acceptable -- your opinion on the matter means squat to everyone else who gets to determine whether they want that in their lives.

There is also a desperation out there for all drugs to be lumped together under one umbrella.
You are the ONLY person here who even brought up heroin or meth addictions as comparable. You ASSume that when someone answers yes to the drug question that others will assume they mean heavier drugs...this despite the fact that I, and others, have stated that we actually assume the user means pot (because it is the most commonly used drug).

This discussion is about POF and the confusion surrounding filters, as explained in the original post. My main points address this by pointing out one source of that confusion - overly broad and wide-sweeping filters. It's really quite simple. Give people the option to be more clear and there will be less confusion.

I, and others here have stated, that we don't have any confusion about the filters. When I was searching, I used them to weed out those who wouldn't be a good match....as per what they are INTENDED for. The only people who seem to be confused about the question are those who actually do smoke pot and try to justify lying about it to potential dates in an effort to weedle their way into life of someone they may be interested in (but not be a good match for because of their difference of opinion). If you feel the question regarding drugs is too broad, you are more than free to use your profile to elaborate that you are 420-friendly only...after all, that is what the ABOUT ME section is for...telling someone about yourself.
 _Meta_Man_
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/21/2012 1:12:23 PM
That's exactly it hot kitty...they lie and rationalize to themselves and assume it's OK for you or something is wrong with you. I have been there!
 AddHomonym
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/21/2012 1:41:01 PM
^^^Just_A_Man, you would come across like less of a snivelling sycophant if you at least tried to address a single point of mine that you disagreed with.

bfk, try reading. I'm sure it will help. See the recent post by Verygreeneyes.

If people were more concerned about doing right rather than being right, we'd all be a lot better off.

Some filters work great for some of you. For others, they can be a source of confusion. Adding clarity will not affect you in any way whatsoever but it may help some others.

You could add a filter that says "Must have a fifteen inch penis" but it doesn't mean that this is what you will get. It simply means that only the guys who lie about the size of their package will be able to message you.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/21/2012 1:44:55 PM
In a perfect world, no one would have habits anyone would find offensive...however, the world is not perfect.

Seeing as you already know you do not want to be around maryjane, why are you not screening for it ahead of time? Ask them point blank if they partake and dont meet the ones who do.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2012 3:15:01 PM

Not sure I want to ask" do you do marijuana?"

I sure as hell bring up drinking and drugs( legal or not legal) before wasting more than 3 e mails.

the user mentions the recreational use before a meet is set

They are warning you they smoke/do dope and if you get in a wad, then they can say..I TOLD YOU I DID.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2012 5:11:58 PM
Op.. If their smoking pot ...their smokers ..just not tobacco smokers, but smokers just the same
(pot contains known carcinogins )
if their smoking pot ..their also drug users ...as pot alters their thought process and slows their reflexes

I have found almost all pot user .. will deny being either one.
personally ,I think this makes them liers too.!
 Whisky_River
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/21/2012 5:47:17 PM
IMO...AddHomonym...is correct on the premise that the filters only keep the honest people from messaging you. I would think a follow up in your profile would work better...in fact.
And yes...a lot of pot smokers don't consider themselves smokers...strange.
I once read somewhere where it has at least 3 times the nicotine than a cigarette!

As a past cigarette smoker....I detest both smells and would not want to date anyone that did either.
I do not however...put the two on the same level.
I did not get "high" on a regular cigarette....or at least I was unaware of it....lol.
It did not impede my motor skills.
I will disagree on the post, that smoking pot is not addictive...I have seen people who were habitual pot smokers going through withdrawl and actually exude an odor....
To the poster that said....It wouldn't be obvious if someone was stoned.
Think again....
 SeratoBeats
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/22/2012 8:23:07 AM
Most dont consider marijuana a drug. A many many many manyyyy people smoke it here and there, even the people you least expect.

Asking if someone does drugs is kind of extreme, and when you see "yes" next to it it kind of generalizes the word. The first thing any woman will think of is this guys a druggy. Hes a scumbag...

I personally smoke weed here and there, Im human, and i dont see anything wrong with is on a special occasion and in moderation. And I would never be in public or on a date for that matter high as a kite like you say so I have nothing to worry about. This is why I also put "no" next to doing drugs because it gives a generally negative view about your character before the reader even gets a chance to know more about you and what youre all about.
 SeratoBeats
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/22/2012 8:25:18 AM
Also, if she really wants to know if I smoke weed or any of that info, she can ask me herself or Id be glad to be upfront about it when we meet. I have nothing to hide, I am just trying not to sabotage my profile with a ridiculous general drug question
 AddHomonym
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/22/2012 9:18:10 AM

I am just trying not to sabotage my profile with a ridiculous general drug question

You and about 99% of the rest of the people in here fella. This is exactly the sort of advice I got from the profile review experience.

Personally, I can't do that. I would sooner be misunderstood and mistaken for a "druggie" rather than be proven to be a liar. I know that may sound harsh but I don't mean it as a judgement on others - I just have a very low tolerance for that sort of thing in my own life. It's also one of the reasons the whole filter idea bothers me so much.

The whole world is full of it. Whether it's job interviews, relationships, the law, taxes, or whatever, people will do and say whatever they think will get them what they want fastest. This site, and these filters, seem to encourage people to be dishonest rather than the opposite, which would seem like a wiser way to go to me.

Giving people more options would allow someone like SeratoBeats to honestly mention that he occasionally likes to partake of the herbage without having to make himself appear to be a crystal meth dealer. We get to be specific about our age, our ethnicity, our location, our marriage status, the kinds of pets we have, our children, etc. Why are some people so distraught over the idea of having more choices in the drug use category? I'm starting to get the impression that this is a politically motivated, social engineering thing.
 ilikefuzzylildogs
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/24/2012 4:21:26 PM
So far as pot being legal in colorado and washington, illegal in the US; That just means your not going to get arrested within the state for possession for personal use. Intent for trafficing etc is still illegal
 DRKKNGHT193
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/24/2012 8:28:31 PM
Smokers and alcohol users, raise your hand.

Hypocrites.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2012 8:48:37 PM
..........If you remove the words marijuana you could apply this to cigarette smokers..................

Marijuana side effects include physical problems like breathing difficulties and deteriorating physical abilities. Despite a popular belief, marijuana side effects speed up the heart, blood and breathing rate.

The body is taxed more and this speeds up the aging process just like methamphetamines do. The marijuana side effects from this extra exertion on the body include a higher risk for lung cancer, heart attacks and strokes

I don't understand why MJ smokers don't consider themselves smokers
 AddHomonym
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/27/2012 12:47:51 PM
^^^I consider speaking openly about marijuana online to be a sort of public service. If I and others, weren't here to speak up for ourselves, some folks would have you all believing that pot smokers are listless, uninspired, moronic, baby-eating Satanists. Somebody has to try and stem the tide of incessant propaganda out there.

I know quite a few elderly ladies who appreciated hearing about how much medicinal marijuana has improved my life. There are more and more elderly people showing up at the local dispensary every day - the word is getting out. Not one of them has turned into an axe wielding maniac...lol

As for the intellectual challenge, I accept. We'll have ourselves a Scrabble match, and you can watch me smoke on Skype the whole time I'm wiping the floor with you...lol Not really, I wouldn't actually give you my Skype number.
 Your_Move
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2012 7:28:12 PM

Does anyone else see this? I've been on a number of dates with men (always in their mid thirties strange) who will have non smoker and does not do drugs on their profile, but then they show up for a meet high as a kite. Okay, yes some people insist marijuana is not drugs nor smoking

Oh yeah -- and you can add cigar smoking to that -- I saw one woman's profile, listed herself as a non-smoker...yet her profile pic was with her smoking a big fat cigar...go figure!

I figure our best bet is to put in OUR profile that someone who smokes or does drugs is NOT a good match with us - rather than rely on the filters...I know people in "real life" that I know smoke, both male and female, and yet their profile says "non smoker". I think it's easy to lie about such settings, and just "forget to mention it" in pre-meet emails...but if we take responsibility for spelling out in writing that it doesn't work for us, that's more likely to have the desired effect.
 pretty.girl
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/27/2012 8:27:57 PM
pot smokers would not say they smoke or do drugs. you should ask in your profile if they medicate?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/27/2012 9:47:35 PM

So far as pot being legal in colorado and washington, illegal in the US; That just means your not going to get arrested within the state for possession for personal use. Intent for trafficing etc is still illegal

Uhhh...no.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with ~ but if it's the fact that possessing, manufacturing and/or selling pot, it is indeed, against Federal law in all 50 states (presently, including Colorado/Washington) then the correct answer would have been, "Uhhh...yeah."

Marijuana is a controlled substance under the Federal Controlled Substances Act. Recreational use of marijuana is illegal in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Growing, distributing and possessing marijuana in any capacity, other than as part of a federally authorized research program, is a violation of federal law.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/09/12/on-medical-marijuana-federal-law-leaves-states-in-purple-haze/
(I'd post the actual Statute, but no one likely gives a ratz azz. If in doubt about the above, please google.)

^^^I consider speaking openly about marijuana online to be a sort of public service. If I and others, weren't here to speak up for ourselves, some folks would have you all believing that pot smokers are listless, uninspired, moronic, baby-eating Satanists. Somebody has to try and stem the tide of incessant propaganda out there.

Ya know? The more I read of your posts ~ the more I have a gut feeling that you're a bit of an over-reactor/over-exaggerator. You're contention that people think of pot-smokers as the Spawn of Hell is interesting, in a completely off-the-wall sort of way (at least it's oddly interesting to me ~ however? You're dead wrong in your assessment. People don't have to think negatively of a person to dislike what they do. Maybe try to distinguish yourself separate from your pot smoking instead of you capitalizing on the fact you smoke that shit. You're far more focused on your habit than 99.9% of the people you're going to encounter. I heard once long ago, "If you make ________ an issue, it'll be an issue." Maybe if you'd stop making this such an issue for yourself, it wouldn't be such an issue.)

I know quite a few elderly ladies who appreciated hearing about how much medicinal marijuana has improved my life. There are more and more elderly people showing up at the local dispensary every day - the word is getting out. Not one of them has turned into an axe wielding maniac...lol

And just what do you deem "elderly"? If you're passing along your "wisdom" to people in their 80's ~ and those are the "elderly" you speak of ~ I'd have to wonder if they're running out to their MD's office in hopes of scoring some eternal buzz they lost when their memories naturally went south. I don't believe for one minute that the average "elderly" person is all atwitter about adding pot to their daily regime of things to do to keep them healthy or as young as possible. Now if "elderly" to you is people my age? You likely aren't turning them on to anything they've not already been long aware of. You seem to "taking credit" for something that a physician should be promoting (or rather, prescribing.) I suppose if you think taking credit for promoting some assumed "value" of pot ~ that's more than fine. People get self-satisfaction from all sorts of odd sources. If that's your source? OK. But???? How about if you were to leave your pot-obsession at home, for your private life, get out and promote volunteerism, or world peace, or civil rights or something? Take up a few hobbies not pot-oriented. You just might find the rewards would be a slew of new friends, a GF (if you want one of those) and a great deal of self-satisfaction not centered around something that you deem is medicinal. Not many cancer patients wander around promoting morphine they take for their pain. Not many diabetics wear signs claiming that insulin is the best thing since sliced bread. I've yet to see an amputee promoting their prosthetic limb(s) to the masses. Why, if your usage is medicinal, do you crusade rather than simply leave it private? That just makes little (well, NO sense) to me. (Just sayin'.)

~OT~ To each their own. It's really pretty simple in my mind. Don't like pot? Make it clear and if/when someone isn't honest about their interest in smoking ~ don't see them again (any more.) JMO
 AddHomonym
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/27/2012 10:24:38 PM
^^^I caught four useful words in all of that, "to each their own".

Couldn't have said it better myself.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/27/2012 10:29:05 PM
red smarties- I don't know why POF even bothers asking this, most people aren't going to admit they do drugs.
I used to smoke marijuana when I was a lot younger, I quit a long time ago.
It's not a deal breaker for me unless they stay stoned all the time, not attractive.
Such is the world of dating.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/27/2012 11:06:41 PM
I personally think the majority of prescription drugs are more harmful than Dank...

It would be stupid to ask someone, what prescription drugs they are currently taking....or is it...

People do not list it in their profile the same reason you do not list the colour of your underwear you are wearing right now, it may be classified personal, or they do not want to be judged for a substance , rather for who they are , possibly...

What is considered a derogatory substance will always change over time, herion use to be sold at your local drug store...Imagine your great grandma going to the store to get her fix...
 GWSmith
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/27/2012 11:23:40 PM
Put a note in your profile that says you won't go out on a date with someone who is under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol and it should help. If they still show up like that than not only did they fail to respect your request they didn't read your profile either :)

That's TWO reasons to tell them to go to hell
 4wheelller
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/28/2012 5:26:19 AM
LaughingHeart12: Some of us are very honest in our profiles-- we are the ones that are not gamers/players/etc. Some women are sincerely looking for an honest guy! However, I do respect the people that adjust their age my a month or two, just to protect themselves from the identity theives. << and I reccommend that everybody do that one!

For OP, Save yourself some time and just edit your profile that says- smoking pot is both "smoking" and "doing drugs" and that you are NOT 420 friendly---- then the guys that are the pot heads will leave you alone.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > people who are listed as non smokers who don't do drugs yet use marijuana