Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > people who are listed as non smokers who don't do drugs yet use marij      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ohenryx
Msg: 80
view profile
History
people who are listed as non smokers who don't do drugs yet use marijuanaPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Activemelaney in msg 99:

Cocaine use, like nicotine, marijuana, etc, is concentrated among poly drug abusers. Very much social class oriented...prevalent among the least educated and poor. Unlike in the movies...extreme low use among middle class and professional people.

Can you provide any reference that will back up what you’re saying (above)? I can easily find references that contradict your statement, here is just one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine

Cocaine use is prevalent across all socioeconomic strata, including age, demographics, economic, social, political, religious, and livelihood.

And then there’s this:

Smoking of anything and other drug use is very much related to education and class. Lifestyle is related to education and class.

People who claim to be “high class” very seldom are. Enough said.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 81
view profile
History
people who are listed as non smokers who don't do drugs yet use marijuana
Posted: 3/29/2014 10:42:54 AM
Activemelaney in msg 99:

You're cocaine experience is warped (too much drug use?)

Your eagerness to assume negative facts about others with no factual support at all, is an excellent additional example of what I critiqued.

Plus one to what ohenryx said about the rest.
 Crystal_Planet
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/29/2014 12:50:16 PM

I have never smoked or did any illegal substance. An absolute deal breaker for me. I like men who have embraced healthy lifestyle in the past as well as today. It's an attitude in them that I find attractive. Sexy is cycling, hiking...healthy food choices. Nothing to do with legal or illegal. They choose an orange over a donut. They don't use marijuana to relieve stress or whatever...they go for a run or throw a frisbee around.

Judging by most of your posts, a healthy lifestyle and activity are the only prerequisites you have in a potential mate. You may hate pot but will you forgive a little HGH?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2014 2:37:28 PM
By the way, I went back through the posts on this, and didn't see the obvious, which bears mentioning at least.

That is, that the ,main reason most people are likely to mark down that they don't smoke, when they do smoke MJ, isn't because they are lying , per se. It's because most people hear or read the word "smoking," and assume it refers to tobacco.

I quite agree that smoking is smoking is smoking, no matter what a person lights on fire and inhales. I'm big on using words accurately. But it is also true that the exact kind of smoking can make a difference, in all sorts of detailed ways. I know smokers , for example, who absolutely despise those who smoke cigars, because they can't stand THAT smell, even though their cigarettes stink in a different way.

Someone who is trying NOT to smoke tobacco anymore, is likely to have more trouble around people who smoke tobacco, than those who smoke MJ. Hence, they wouldn't be that upset to find out that the person they are considering said "no" to smoking, and only meant that they don't smoke TOBACCO, but do smoke other stuff.

If someone who does smoke MJ marks down that they are a smoker, MOST people are going to assume that means tobacco, and that will cause problems as well.

Some dating sites include a second question, asking if the person either uses, or disapproves of the use of "entertainment" drugs. Last time I looked, this site does not.
 ryuoki
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2014 2:58:15 PM

People who live a poor lifestyle often hide behind some weird denial that one can't be both healthy and happy. They seek out those with similar issues so that they can reinforce their denial. Dopeheads sitting around extolling the virtues of marijuana or some other drug. Smokers bragging how grandpa drank scotch, smoke a pack a day and lived to be 95. They hide behind a false facade that they would prefer to have their vices than be miserable. The irony is that those without the vices are far from miserable and lead more productive rewarding lives.

Apparently many did not watch the video I provided. Needless to say, claiming marijuana as a drug also puts; Tea, coffee, chocolate, and I am sure people can name other herbs and spices to add to this list.

No one has ever died from marijuana use.

Yet again, covered in the video on page 4. But there was that one guy.... only it was a ton of it that fell on him... does not construe as use though.

Non use and use are two different things, but what is similar is both find their own joys from life and in that are both partners in the same boat. So what ever floats it. If one has an issue against it, shun that other person. It is after all your choice to do so. Or be a loving human being and accept them as they are regardless. Whether you choose to have a relationship with that person or not. Everyone is different and that's what makes individuals so interesting as opposed to the robotic nature others think we should emulate.
 jvj1973
Msg: 85
Posted: 3/30/2014 5:14:37 PM
I had a similar experience. Lovely guy, great profile. Non-smoker, no to illegal drugs. In conversation he told me he smoked Marijuana daily and asked me if this was a "deal breaker." I appreciate his honesty, and yes it kind of was. I don't smoke, don't plan to, and was in a relationship many years ago with someone who did and I saw how it destroyed his life (yes, Marijuana does have some negative effects!). Also, as a substance abuse counselor, it kind of goes against my whole ethical values/career choice to date someone who uses the substance I'm encouraging my clients not to. I appreciate him being honest about it, and was so disappointed because I was really digging him. But I don't judge, it's his choice to use, and my choice not to be around it if I don't support the lifestyle.

Jericia
 activemelaney
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2014 10:59:05 PM
Jvj

Yes, your choice. And using drugs is their choice. My philosophy is like yours. A high percent of the revolving ER patients are using drugs of some type. I just want no association with it in my personal life. I won't make any compromises. Fortunately there is little need to if you seek out people with a healthy lifestyle. Drugs just aren't part of the conversation when we are with a group out hiking, at a community function, art workshop, etc. There's way more guys out there who don't smoke or do drugs than do so you haven't limited your choices that much.
 HonkyTonk_Woman
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/31/2014 8:25:53 AM
@Activemelaney
I feel you are naive to think professional people don't abuse drugs.....when it has been documented that Doctors and nurses are running a percentage of 10%...addicted. Mostly prescription pills because of the easy access...
Don't believe me?? Google it..
But some are more hard core...just like anyone else...heroin or cocaine...

Drugs just aren't part of the conversation when we are with a group out hiking, at a community function, art workshop, etc

LOL....of course not. All I know is....people are always surprised when they find out....what others do behind closed doors.
 activemelaney
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2014 8:50:13 AM
I never said they all didnt. I said a fact...much less abuse among the educated and professional class than among others. Hint...more drug abuse in the ghetto than suburbia. Way more.

The lower the rate of education...the higher the rates of drug use, smoking, obesity. Our ER after 10 PM and on weekends is not exactly a representation of our city...homeless, petty criminals who either are there because of mental issues and substance abuse....usually the former caused by the latter.

And my observation is that....wow...if you don't want to associate with a unhealthy lifestyle then associate with people who are in hiking groups, fitness classes, etc. As I stated...never see anyone smoke anymore and I doubt if those I associate with have a clue where to obtain marijuana.

It is a myth that 'everyone' experiments with drugs now and then...it was also a myth in the heyday of the late 60's. My friends and I didn't and we were not prudes but just regular kids.
 Walts
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/31/2014 6:44:44 PM

The lower the rate of education...the higher the rates of drug use, smoking, obesity. Our ER after 10 PM and on weekends is not exactly a representation of our city...homeless, petty criminals who either are there because of mental issues and substance abuse....usually the former caused by the latter.

You actually typed that and still work at the job that you do? Have you been keeping "up" with your education since you got hired or what? Maybe, while walking around during one of your shifts, take a real good look at your fellow employees for a minute. Would you be surprised the amount of drug/alcohol abuse in your profession alone? Or are you just gonna turn a blind eye to it and keep repeating the generic shiat of the 60's?
 SD2131
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/22/2014 9:43:48 AM
I normally ask someone if they smoke MJ.. I don`t really have an issue with it, like i do with cigs or even excessive drinking..

If someone is a moderate MJ smoker, i`m ok with it, if they`re a heavy user, i do have a problem with someone who wants to get high all day..
 Dee4166
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2014 12:01:40 PM

You're making a distinction between something that is habit-forming and addictive? Just because someone doesn't have physical withdrawal symptoms doesn't mean they aren't addicted to something.

Actually it DOES!!! LOL People who throw around buzz words like addiction have no real clue as to what constitutes an addiction vs an obsession, or habit-forming behaviour. Look it up,it's very enlightening. If you've ever watched a junkie in detox, I can ASSURE you that Sally maxing out her credit cards because she can't stop buying shoes, is NO comparison!

Yup this has always been a pretty heated debate, funny because pot was only criminalized around Prohibition and specifically that decision was more political than anything. Alcohol producers were attempting to retain "control" of their market by lobbying for criminalization of Marijuana and other narcotics. Don't want all those lovely drinkers to be too happy with pot, now,hmmm? OR to have easy access....lol

Anyway...regardless, the point of the OP, as I understand it, if she even cares anymore, was that she wanted a way to prevent being contacted by "druggies,potheads, addicts,etc"...As others have said here before there really IS no way to do that, with a drop down menu or otherwise...Also, as was also pointed out, PEOPLE LIE.
So you can diligently fill out and check all the boxes and drop down menus, word your profile as carefully as you like, and you know what?
You still may find yourself sitting across the table from a man who REEKS of pot, booze and sometimes...REALLY BAD cologne...and you then have to deal with it.

I don't think that it's anything more than a waste of time,as she hasn't mentioned that any of those "low-class, uneducated, poor people", have attacked and/or mauled her...So I don't actually see the big problem here.As others here have mentioned perhaps asking during an initial conversation by phone, could clarify that. It's really NOT that difficult a question to bring up. For me it would fit right in with the "What do you do for fun/relaxing?", question that I normally ask in the first 3 convos whether on the phone or in person.
Will some guys lie any way? Perhaps...But then again, Life is a risky business last I checked, you have to weigh the benefit vs, risk ratio and decide if that's a risk that you are willing to take. Only YOU can make that decision.

As for all of the hoopla over pot and whether or not it is acceptable in general,not assumed to be a REAL drug, as well as the fact of someone saying something about how drug use is found generally in the lower classes,uneducated,poor,etc.
All I have to say is that is one of those what I like to call "special statistics",that are used in argument's such as these,because if anyone actually believes that, then they aren't doing their research.
When I did a stint working with addicts and alcoholics, I'm here to tell you that drug ADDICTS, come from all walks of Life. No exception. Are there more addicts in the "lower classes",perhaps but the reason for that is still being debated among sociologists as to why that is. It's really not as simple as A=B.
Although I WILL say that anyone who is NOT of that "lower class" should count their lucky stars to have grown up in a decent home in a decent neighbourhood and been given a decent education, in order to be assured of not becoming a "statistic", not everyone is that lucky.

I have met equally as many addicts and alcoholics, because alcohol is a drug, and in fact PROVEN to be more lethal than pot, who are lawyers, doctors,nurses, judges, cops,there's a large percentage for you right there, cops have one of the highest rates of both alcoholism and drug abuse amongst ALL professions, firefighters, dentists, architects,and let's not forget all of the actors and actresses that seem to live in rehab these days, and I could go on but really it's not very interesting...And amongst all of theses addicts even, pot is normally the LAST thing on the list as far as "drug of choice", meaning it can "take the edge off" but is really only an inadequate replacement , for what they really want.
But all of that boring info aside, as far as the actual data is concerned there's a HUGE difference between smoking pot medicinally/socially and being an addict, or forming a psychological obsession, as in the case of "addicted" pot smokers.
NONE of that to say, that if you don't like pot, for whatever reason, that you aren't entitled to ask for a partner who ALSO feels the same. I mean, we are allowed to want what we want right?

I,personally have seen too many of the health benefits from pot to say/do anything but be pro-legalization. I have seen people who were SO medicated up the yin yang they barely knew their own NAMES,on prescribed drugs, and I've seen those very same people discover the benefits of pot for their particular problem and begin to lead happy productive lives once again.
As a health professional who works with the elderly now, I see it even more,as more and more are turning to pot for their health issues, as it has little to no side-effects and is often more effective in the treatment of a wide variety of health issues...than prescribed medications. All too often many elderly people will die due to side-effects and or drug interactions, and equally as often I have seen prescribed medication have side effects that are more egregious than the disease for which they were prescribed.
As for recreational use,well I believe that you don't have to look far to find the stats on the dangers of pot vs, alcohol,, and they weigh in pretty heavily as far as alcohol being the "leader" in the ""ruining lives"category...
I am friends with more than a few cops,in fact my roommate is one, and as I shared on another thread, the general opinion amongst cops is that people who are stoned rarely if EVER do much more than smoke a joint have a snack and take a nap...Whereas drunks on the other hand are usually found engaging in some form of violence by the time that the cops get there, the police themselves are more likely to be injured dealing with a drunk, and someone who is drunk is more likely to do harm to themselves and/or others....They are actually trained to specifically deal with drunks, and/or people on other drugs, including prescription meds, the only mention of pot during that training is as a "joke",in that they are not a problem....

The SUBSTANCE does NOT an "addict" make...The person has an addictive personality and will abuse ANYTHING to the point of compromising their lives and their health, relationships, jobs, family, etc....
Let's face it,I even know of "serious" runners and athletes who will run/play until and PAST the point of doing injury to themselves and I don't exactly consider that to be "healthy" behaviour...In fact I even state in my profile something to the effect that "if you're looking for someone interested in 20 mile bike rides"just for fun"then keep right on going, because I am NOT, "! lol
As someone else said...to each their own...
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/22/2014 2:46:36 PM

The SUBSTANCE does NOT an "addict" make...The person has an addictive personality and will abuse ANYTHING to the point of compromising their lives and their health, relationships, jobs, family

Yeap. I abuse garlic. I confess. Salté so much the whole room is permeated with garlic. Sometimes I have to lace it with onions, or reduce it with bay leaves. If a vampire ever came to my house or bit me, it would drop vampire dead in a second. I love garlic so much, that when I eat it, I don't smell like garlic because my body does not want to release it.
Sometimes I cut many lines of garlic and get it into a fine mix. Or sometimes I like it coarse and a little burned.

I've considered rehap, but then I found an enabler that has the same sickness. So we do lines of garlic together.

;-}

(Couldn't resist)
 cooldog65
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2014 12:07:37 AM
Would this apply to the "occasional smoker", too? What is an "occasional smoker"? Is it the same as a "social smoker"? Is marijuana a "social drug"? So much green, er gray area here.
 calguy14
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/28/2014 8:01:43 PM
I have long felt that the no drugs statement was likely the biggest lie on POF.Stats have shown that the older people get ,the numbers that admit to ever smoking any weed drop.It's so powerful now that I don't really enjoy smoking it anymore,it's a rarity.

I've had a dentist and a doctor that had serious drug problems that became apparent.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/28/2014 8:15:43 PM

What is an "occasional smoker"?

Different people will have different ideas as to what constitutes "occasional" smoking, so they need to be asked specifically.
I did see one woman who had listed "occasional" smoker in her profile explain in her text section that by "occasional" she meant that she might have one cigarette per month when out at a bar with friends. One cigarette per month is not likely to kill anyone (unless they fall asleep and drop the lit cigarette) or stink up their entire surroundings on a constant basis.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > people who are listed as non smokers who don't do drugs yet use marijuana