Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Personal trainers and gyms      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 calguy14
Msg: 72
Personal trainers and gymsPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
^^^
I didn't know you were sensitive about age,I'm not.38 is too old to start getting slammed if you're not really fit.
 jpwrnglrwmn
Msg: 73
Personal trainers and gyms
Posted: 2/5/2015 10:32:46 PM
I feel women are judged more on their appearance (especially if they're not with someone). .so I have to delay the aging process as much as I can. .by staying out of the sun,wearing sunscreen getting laser photofacials, trying to eat as clean as possible. Actually, even if I were fitter (and I 'm not going to bother defending myself against someone who has no photo) I'm on here for the forums, because frankly, my luck on the dating portion of this website, has been sh**ty, attractive men, but very shady. And yeah, you're probably right. . getting slammed would cause damage to the body even more, accelerating the aging process. There's a reason why I don't have full body photos, and wear baggy clothes in the photos I do have. and.not for the reason people automatically assume. . .but because why bother, given the past?
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/5/2015 11:46:24 PM
Personally, I don't ever go to the gym. I have found I can get a great workout at home with just some free weights, a small exercise bench and a yoga mat. I have an extensive collection of workout DVDs that I rotate. All it takes is 30 minutes a day. The exercises I do are HARD, but super effective. Much better to go through 30 minutes of hell but get real results instead of phoning it in at the gym for hours and wasting tons of money. Just my 2 cents.

PS: my favorite are all of Jillian Michaels DVDs, especially Ripped in 30. Got me back in shape after my two pregnancies in no time. And I'm "old", lol.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2015 4:31:00 AM
^^^^^^^^While I can make myself do things at home I do find I work harder around others.
Motivation/competition/fun?
Probably all combined.

Even my old dog walks quicker/longer at the park if her "friends" are there too.
She actually ran yesterday to try and show the "younguns" up apparently.

The exercises I do are HARD, but super effective. Much better to go through 30 minutes of hell but get real results instead of phoning it in at the gym for hours

^^^^^^^Absolutely true.Even 20 minutes is better for us intense than an hour of MEH.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 76
Posted: 2/6/2015 6:03:07 AM

I feel women are judged more on their appearance (especially if they're not with someone). .so I have to delay the aging process as much as I can.

If you think you can delay the aging process you are going to be for a bad time.

You need to sit down with someone that can set you straight with regards to body image and have them explain to you why your is not healthy.
 calguy14
Msg: 77
Posted: 2/6/2015 11:40:23 AM
@jl
Although we all age I am of the belief that quiescent average insulin levels are of value.Dr.Peter Attia has an interesting website.I am also of the opinion that a good trainer is invaluable.If I was a woman I would pick a fitness competitor....you can see their results.I have lots of home equipment including a cage,ghd and rings but still prefer the gym.Two weeknights and maybe Sat or Sunday at 1.

edit google glycation to see what I mean
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 78
Posted: 2/6/2015 3:44:45 PM
Totally agree about glycation and insulin. I have been eating low carb for over ten years and it has made a HUGE difference in my life, all positive. But still, the only reason I would join a gym would be for the social aspect and to chec out hot guys lol.
 calguy14
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/6/2015 4:07:21 PM
^^^
Well of course and the guys work out harder when you're scanning their formats.Attractive women are always welcome in a gym.And guys are ready to help.:)
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/6/2015 5:22:01 PM

Although we all age I am of the belief that quiescent average insulin levels are of value.

Why would you think that?

Every cell in your body has a set of instructions on how to replicate itself and the number of times this can happen with accurate results is already determined, it is impossible to change it in a positive way.
 calguy14
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/6/2015 6:54:21 PM
Google glycation,as for telomeres,google TB500
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2015 3:27:11 AM

Why would you think that?

A high * sugar*/insulin spiking diet ages you prematurely inside and out.
Deterioration/inflammation.

It causes protein fibers to become stiff . Much of what is known about glycation's effects comes from diabetes research. Connective-tissue damage /CHRONIC INFLAMMATION resulting from diabetics'/pre diabetics sustained high blood sugar can lead to debilitating conditions, such as cataracts, Alzheimer's, vascular tightening, and diseases of the pancreas and liver.

It shows on your face .
F Brandt MD:
Most vulnerable to damage: collagen and elastin, the protein fibers that keep skin firm and elastic. In fact, collagen is the most prevalent protein in the body. Once damaged, springy and resilient collagen and elastin become dry and brittle, leading to wrinkles and sagging. These aging effects start at about age 35 and increase rapidly after that, according to a study published in the British Journal of Dermatology.

Besides damaging collagen, a high-sugar diet also affects what type of collagen you have—another factor in how resistant skin is to wrinkling, says Brandt. The most abundant collagens in the skin are types I, II, and III, with type III being the most stable and longest lasting. Glycation transforms type III collagen into type I, which is more fragile. "When that happens, the skin looks and feels less supple," says Brandt. The final blow: AGEs deactivate your body's natural antioxidant enzymes, leaving you more vulnerable to sun damage—still the main cause of skin aging.

Chronic inflammation is the cause/root of disease and deterioration.
 Skyr
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2015 7:39:53 PM

Chronic inflammation is the cause/root of disease and deterioration.

That's a very bold claim.

In some diseases it may be causal, in most it is likely a byproduct. For instance, in thermal burns the inflammatory cascade causes further damage. For many diseases- you expect an inflammatory response to mop up dead cells.

A high * sugar*/insulin spiking diet ages you prematurely inside and out

A non-diabetic maintains their glucose in a very tight range. Their HbA1c will be normal, which is a proxy for all the other glycation end products.
 calguy14
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/21/2015 8:36:09 PM
I guess nobody develops diabetes from high sugar/insulin spiking diets then.
 Skyr
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2015 12:38:43 AM

I guess nobody develops diabetes from high sugar/insulin spiking diets then

Maybe, but the evidence isn't great; and I was talking about the general (non-diabetic) population.

There is low level evidence based on observational studies that rice (which is high GI, and 'insulin spiking' if you want to call it that) is correlated with increased incidence of diabetes, but no experimental evidence I'm aware of.
 calguy14
Msg: 86
Posted: 2/24/2015 8:50:39 PM
Why mention rice? Rice is not a common carb in western society.
 Skyr
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2015 11:31:15 PM
Because it's high GI (using your argument, insulin spiking), and I happen to have seen cohort studies linking rice consumption with diabetes. It was very low level evidence with many potential issues.

Rice is one of the most (if not the most) consumed staple in the world, and in widespread use, even in 'western society'.
 calguy14
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/25/2015 6:59:39 AM
Not the most consumed in western societies experiencing high rates of obesity.Rice is natural,possibly we don't understand fully yet?
 Skyr
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2015 6:01:24 PM

Not the most consumed in western societies experiencing high rates of obesity.Rice is natural,possibly we don't understand fully yet?

I was responding to your comment about insulin 'spiking' diets, which I take to mean anything high GI. Rice was given as an example because it is the primary staple in most of the world, and there are some observational studies linking it to diabetes, albeit weak evidence and only a small effect.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Personal trainers and gyms