Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > LTR Potential with "Double High Risk" Professionals      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AJ2517
Msg: 25
LTR Potential with Double High Risk ProfessionalsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Interesting, I have had a few women ask me the same thing:p
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 26
LTR Potential with Double High Risk Professionals
Posted: 11/24/2012 4:09:27 PM

Interesting, I have had a few women ask me the same thing:p

Did most of them add, "I've always had a sexy teacher fantasy"?
 aussieblues
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2012 5:45:39 PM
Go ask someone in a "high-risk" category....Or stop expecting people to represent these "studies" you read....There are exceptions......
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/24/2012 8:16:55 PM
I think it depends on the person, not necessarily the profession. I've met ppl who were nice in all professions, & ppl who were idiots, in all walks of life.
I don't understand why dentists are on the list. Cops have a higher rate of suicide & divorce, statically. But I know of many who hae been happily married for years, so there are exceptions to every rule.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/24/2012 8:47:48 PM
I think the more money a man earns, the less the quality of the relationship you will have if you are looking for a soulmate. If you're looking for a lifestyle, go for it. There's sacrifices that need to be made to earn those big salaries. Personalities that are able to earn a lot aren't just intelligent, they're controlling and very good at getting what they want. They may be good providers, but they're focused on wealth and not emotional support. Just my 2 cents.
 britepurdywmn
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/25/2012 5:36:59 AM
I have to agree with baggagehandler.
In the high speed, big $$ profession I am most familiar with, men and women for the most part tended to be very 'showy' and shallow, had very aggressive traits, and 'upgraded' partners
as often as they traded their cars.
A couple of the more successful men would offer local waitresses breast augmentation to make them more date worthy.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/25/2012 5:38:36 AM

I think the more money a man earns, the less the quality of the relationship you will have if you are looking for a soulmate. If you're looking for a lifestyle, go for it. There's sacrifices that need to be made to earn those big salaries. Personalities that are able to earn a lot aren't just intelligent, they're controlling and very good at getting what they want. They may be good providers, but they're focused on wealth and not emotional support. Just my 2 cents.

You are kidding, right? If not, this is one of grossest generalizations that I have seen and it sounds a bit "sour grapish." True, in my experience, I have dated only one rich man, but he is very intelligent and very well read with a wide range of interests. Equating intelligence with money is a huge misnomer--I know poor and middle income men who are stupid and/or controlling--they can also lack emotional support (I was married to one for 25 years).

Not only that, some men who didn't make their fortunes are very bitter. I remember a date with a man in his 40s who became so agitated that his father didn't bankroll him like his friend's father did that he started spewing spittle as he talked. He repaired business machines or something of the sort and visited offices. Despite his unhappiness over his state in life, he said that the people in the offices "envied" him because he wasn't stuck in a cubicle.

Gimme a guy who likes where he is in life, regardless of his bucks, but if that is the rich man, so be it.
 Walts
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/25/2012 6:58:20 AM
In addition to the health and distance challenges that arise with age, there also have been studies conducted which conclude that some occupations and/or whether/not one is retired also represent significant risk factors in maintaining an LTR , specifically including law enforcement professionals, psychiatrists, and dentists.

I would have to agree,adding with this, is that a lot will have to do with the "personality" of the other party involved. The ying and yang kinda thingy. So,really, ALL of our "professions" are some form of "flag" for us. What we are "good" at it, is usually part of jobs. And with each job, comes certain "rules". Cops,firemen,members of our military,etc have a "team" concept that is involved. Medical, will have the never ending revolving door of "fixing" things. All will add a bump or two in a personal relationship.

Personally, I find people that HAVE to follow rules within their job,without the posssibility of flexibility, are not ones for me. Accountants,are one example of this.So,I don't think we can generalize on a "certain" profession that isn't good for LTR,but, how that "profession" mixes with another individual. Some people can hang around Accountants in a personal relationship,others can't.
 TryAgan
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2012 2:39:22 AM

try dating a gynocologist...

I knew a photographer who specialized in glamour photography, and after 20 years of shooting scantily dressed actresses and models, he couldn't take it anymore. Eventually, he started to produce vampire and other gory scenes. It saved his sanity.

Another guy used to be a cop on the beat who was attacked and stabbed a few times on the job. When he retired, he became a studio photographer specializing in shooting deserts and salads. Has a girl friend, though and things are going well. Much safer to shoot sweets than some drunken bozos.

Now, when it comes to female psychotherapists, many are indeed delusional and on dating agencies they post routinely ten years old photos of themselves. Many teachers I came across, appeared quite rigid, thinking in black-and-white, and quite often with bossy tendencies. There must be some loose ones around but they haven't crossed my path yet.
 CDMer
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/26/2012 6:14:10 AM
Now, when it comes to female psychotherapists, many are indeed delusional and on dating agencies they post routinely ten years old photos of themselves.

Recently I was contacted by one whose profile shows only older professionally taken photos. Her profile (still) claims she is 55 but a search I conducted on her just prior to meeting showed her to be 65 so I canceled on her. I do not date liars.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2012 5:22:06 PM
I think you make very valid points, baggage handler.
 E_keys
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/26/2012 6:11:52 PM
"try dating a gynocologist"

Well, I had a friend who dated a reproductive nurse. He was MORE THAN HAPPY with that.

I like dentists - no bad experiences - and I do research in the area of bio-minerals, so sometimes I'll find myself at a conference lunch table with someone who says they're a dentist. I usually say, "Oh, I like dentists!" and they usually say, "Wow! I never hear that!"

I get it about professions making people strong and hard, though. I was married to a man with a career just like mine, and it was also like "trying cases" over every dinnertime. Now I keep getting interested in musicians and artists, dipping into their worlds of emotional complexity and dire finances. I probably have an air of "I could just walk away from this" about me at times.
 VenusandAdonis
Msg: 37
Just my 2 cents.
Posted: 11/26/2012 8:28:08 PM
I think ppl lets say in medicine and ppl that work with their hands,(say trades), can offer the same quality of love. The difference depends on the individual..how they relate to stress, to life and the ppl near to them, and truly it's all a reflection of character ..and how much they're into you..
Both sacrifice time, the negative traits come in all walks too..
I just can't pigeon hole ppl like that
It's not all about the money, at the end of the day, both parties go home..
 TantricJedi
Msg: 38
Just my 2 cents.
Posted: 11/26/2012 9:56:49 PM
There's always exceptions to the rule, but yes, generally speaking, the stress and personality traits of someone that is an overachiever or high wage earner has pros and cons. How much is enough? A crab fishermen up in Alaska makes $100K a year and he doesn't have to be a rocket scientist. But...he's away from home months at a time and that adds stress to a relationship. I'm talking about people that earn their income, not those that were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Ok, extreme example, look at Ellen Barkin and Ron Perlman. Jeez. Mr Ugly conservative Revlon millionaire marries liberal blonde bombshell. He gets the goodies and she gets the lifestyle. Or so they thought. Totally incompatible. Nasty divorce ensues. I'm not saying a woman should expect and accept that a high wage provider is going to be abusive. Not at all. I just think its naive to think that more money doesn't come with more stress or attract ambitious, controlling and manipulative personalities. You don't rise to the top of a corporation by being the best Father (or mother).
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 39
Just my 2 cents.
Posted: 11/26/2012 10:56:39 PM
^^^I am changing my "About Me" to read, "Available immediately for marriage to an Alaskan crab fisherman"...100K in disposible income, he is gone for months at a time and all the crab legs I can eat? Sign me up! lol!!

Date the person, not their profession or their wallet or some study. If there is a human to human connection, go with it.
 VenusandAdonis
Msg: 40
Just my 2 cents.
Posted: 11/30/2012 9:18:47 PM
"You don't rise to the top of a corporation by being the best Father (or mother)."~baggagehandler (your quote)..

Just to comment, my father was a doctor, my step father a dentist, not really high rollers... but good fathers.. from my point of view, ppl in all walks have issues.
I have dated men, in all walks..and from my experience, I found no difference..(in that respect)
I know, the basics, money is a necessary evil, but not everyone is going to step over every person to succeed, and there are no throw aways, just ppl, learning..
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > LTR Potential with "Double High Risk" Professionals