Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are we getting harder as we get older?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ohenryx
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Are we getting harder as we get older?Page 9 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

onamanhunt
As I got older, I realized I used to settle for anything. Not anymore! I know what I want and I know how to please him! I just wish the men my age didn't look like they were my dad! My sister's husband is 55 or 56 and he is a hunk!

So you’ve got the hots for your brother-in-law? Nothing wrong with that. Sigmund Freud had an affair with his sister-in-law (his wife’s sister), so why can’t you?
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 202
Are we getting harder as we get older?
Posted: 12/31/2012 8:05:00 AM
I just wish the men my age didn't look like they were my dad

I hear that expression from quite a few women on here. When I see them in real life I usually think they must be looking in some sort of magical mirror for thier own self image.

Personally I think I look my age - some women my age look my age, some look older and some look younger but I have yet to meet a woman my age who anyone would think looks young enough to be my daughter. They might say that to her as a blatant form of flattery however.

My sister's husband is 55 or 56 and he is a hunk! I know they exist, but I guess they aren't having to use a dating site to get a woman

So are you suggesting that you are searching for a man that most would consider to be an 8 or better for his age. It seems like you and just about every other woman on here is on that same quest - no wonder so many end up dissapointed.

It seems to me the guys who are attractive enough to not need a dating site to meet a very attractive woman usually end up with women who do not need a dating site to meet a very attractive man.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2012 9:30:41 AM
What? People actually NEED dating sites to attract partners??????

My goodness, whatever did people do for the last million years before dating sites existed?
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 204
Posted: 12/31/2012 10:28:22 AM
The problem is that in days gone past, people used to meet at dances, at clubs and so on. Now everything is so expensive that the only place you're likely to meet people is either at work or in Walmart. Other than that, people are shuffling rapidly between home and work, trying to spend as little as possible because they don't get much money these days. They just don't have the cash to go out and meet people unless it's at a church and even then some don't go to church often because either it's too much extra expense in fuel or their work schedule precludes it or they're not that way inclined.

I did have a go at the newspaper lonely hearts columns years ago but I think the internet has wiped them out. I suspect that the internet is well on the way to wiping out newspapers since we can find any amount of titillation and factual inaccuracy online without having to buy a newspaper.

Back in olden days before mass transport even, the problem was one of inbreeding with marriages that were a bit oo close for convenience. The internet does mean people from far different backgrounds can meet. Having said that, I'm not a great fan of the internet for various reasons.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 205
Posted: 12/31/2012 10:31:21 AM

My goodness, whatever did people do for the last million years before dating sites existed?

From what I hear, the cavemen would hit his intended over the head with a club and drag her back to his cave. That was called, Love at first sight.

...mae
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 206
Posted: 12/31/2012 11:14:33 AM

From what I hear, the cavemen would hit his intended over the head with a club and drag her back to his cave. That was called, Love at first sight.

That all stopped when women started complaining. Spoilsports :p
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 207
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:31:25 AM
From what I hear, the cavemen would hit his intended over the head with a club and drag her back to his cave.

Ahh the good old days when you could tell how many partners a woman had had or whether she was fooling around by the number of lumps on her head!
 LuvADKs
Msg: 208
Posted: 1/1/2013 7:21:43 PM

Are we getting harder to please and easier to reject others as we get older? Have we missed the boat with the spring of love with love conquering all? We are all (or should be) self-sufficient now ad don't actually need a partner for financial co-habitation. We are now past it as regards having babies. Is it now too easy for us to reject partners that would have been acceptable years ago?

Lots of questions here:

Are we getting harder to please and easier to reject others as we get older? Yes, I think so. Behaviours that we may have tolerated in our youth are now not acceptable.

We are now past it as regards having babies. Is it now too easy for us to reject partners that would have been acceptable years ago? I think the fact that hormones are no longer making decisions leads to more a more rational approach to who we will date and why.
 charliesmom21
Msg: 209
Posted: 1/8/2013 9:39:13 AM
I like to think we are getting smarter rather than harder to please. I agree times have changed and women no longer NEED a man to support her and take care of her. I think this should be freeing to both sides. I think more women are looking for their equals now, not just someone able to take care of them. WANTING someone in your life is different than NEEDING someone. I think some are getting stuck in the anger stage from their previous relationships rather than learning from them and understanding their own role in the demise of any relationship. This makes it more difficult to find someone. The on line illusion of more choice is also making things more difficult for newly separated or divorced people. Experience can be a double edged sword if the past is not reconciled and honesty, respect and trust and not restored. Just my thoughts.
 SweetPea7896
Msg: 210
Posted: 1/9/2013 12:17:03 AM

Those of us who have had one or more important LT relationships are more cautious and not all that excited to part with our assets in another breakup. And who wants to fail again?
Some of us feel we have done the 'relationship' thing to death, and realize being on our own is not exactly hell on earth.

I'm with you, I'm having a hard time even getting out there to "date" eck! I can't say I've ever really dated so the thought of dating sends chills down my spine. I've been in 2 LT relationships in my life so I'd much rather have activity friends and take it from there. I'm not sure I want to give up my freedom and what a relationship brings to a persons life. I guess there are pluses and minuses in the question of whether a person wants to get into a relationship. Not to mention some of us have been hurt pretty bad and taking that chance again is pretty scary.
BUT
Life is an adventure and fear is one of the most debilitating human emotions. Guess we need to ask ourselves what is the worst that can happen? You get your heart broken, you aren't going to die and eventually you do move on. So I guess in the long haul we all need to put down the fear and get out there and enjoy life. :)
 barra62
Msg: 211
Posted: 1/9/2013 6:30:48 PM
Do we have much choice?
 Sailin-away
Msg: 212
Posted: 1/9/2013 6:43:05 PM
Well said Aussie!
 timeforall
Msg: 213
Posted: 1/10/2013 10:39:29 AM

I just wish the men my age didn't look like they were my dad

Its amazing how women don't look in the mirror and see what we see isn't it. Reminds me of an old joke where the wife told her husband to go out and get some of those pills that would help him get an erection. When he came back, he tossed her some diet pills.
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 214
Posted: 1/10/2013 10:49:09 AM
I rather suspect a lot of people look in mirrors and see what they want to see. We've all heard of size 18 women buying size 14 dresses because they want to fit in a 14.
 E-woman
Msg: 215
Posted: 1/10/2013 11:10:43 AM
This isn't about mirrors.....We all want to be accepted and loved for who we are....I believe both women and
men know what they look like. They also know what they are looking for. By looking at only the outside of the person you then determine weather or not that person is good or bad, smart or not and even worth your time to be in your life. We tend to put a label on people based on looks alone. This is sad but true. Then you have the outright rude pepole who feel a need to point out defects. Who feel that every fat person is defective, lazy or a glutton.
People who snicker and use phrases like butterface, hippo etc. Isn't it time we all grew up and maybe tried
to treat people like humans?
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 216
Posted: 1/10/2013 11:45:04 AM
People have so many ways to put other people down. Since coming to the US almost a decade ago, I have heard far fewer put-downs and abuse than I ever heard before. This is not to say that it does not happen - it does. It's just far less prevalent. I have a friend who is somewhat large and who is trying to get slimmer. I have known several larger women -some of whom are actually trying to get slimmer. I've also met people who just blame everybody else for their own largeness. Personally, I don't care if you tip the scales at 300lbs or 400lbs. What's inside is what matters to me.

I don't care if you're a 28-22-36DDD with blonde hair and blue eyes. The inside is what matters to me. I need to be loved and I need to love back.

As I've said before, my only hardline stance is on debt, having been acquainted with a major debtor who several people had commented: it's not a matter of if but when they go bankrupt.
 timeforall
Msg: 217
Posted: 1/10/2013 11:52:03 AM
You missed the point E-woman. You have a woman on this board, who is representative of lots of the delusional women here, complaining how guys her age look like her Dad. Well what the heck does she think most women her age look like to us? Matronly . . over weight . . . not at all attractive is the norm. So why is this person putting down guys?
 mrnova66
Msg: 218
Posted: 1/10/2013 12:21:32 PM
I agree 100%...It is crazy of some of the things of what some women expect..When they are no better..In most case worse

And these women are well in their 50s...What a joke!!!!!After reading what these women posted then look at their profile you would thing they wre some 20 something hottie,But instead these women are a 50 something whale...Like they are a beauty queen..They are a joke!!!!!!
 E-woman
Msg: 219
Posted: 1/10/2013 12:59:33 PM
I would say the amount of woman and men who have expectations of Ken and Barbie is probably
equal. I try to weed out people by phrases in their profiles. These people are everywhere, isn't
it just best to let it go and continue on with your search. We are all aging, precious time is
being wasted.
 anita_lay
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 1:16:30 PM
You have a woman on this board, who is representative of lots of the delusional women here, complaining how guys her age look like her Dad. Well what the heck does she think most women her age look like to us? Matronly . . over weight . . . not at all attractive is the norm. So why is this person putting down guys?

Just wondering if you're related to Fedz - you both share the same disgust and dislike towards women.
 E-woman
Msg: 221
Posted: 1/10/2013 1:19:03 PM
Can I ask why you guys have no pictures?
 anita_lay
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 1:20:02 PM
^^Because they're hiding from their wives.
 timeforall
Msg: 223
Posted: 1/10/2013 1:31:47 PM

Can I ask why you guys have no pictures?

I already explained that. I don't want to have to deal with all of the email I will be getting looking for dates.

I have no idea who "Fedz" is.
 anita_lay
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 1:41:19 PM
^You're a liar, Jack/Kevin. You're hiding from your wife as well as trying to avoid posts telling you that, as a married man, you know little of today's dating world.
You don't know Fedz? Check out his posts. He's your brother from another mother.
 timeforall
Msg: 225
Posted: 1/10/2013 2:29:38 PM
Anita, catchy name there, but don't you think it belongs posting only on the sex thread? I looked for Fedz in the search engine but he doesn't come up. Not sure who you are, although a four letter word beginning with R comes to mind, and don't know why you would call me by anything other than my given name . . . that's TIMEFORALL. Even you.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are we getting harder as we get older?