Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GeordieColin
Msg: 206
view profile
History
What puts you off messaging someone?Page 3 of 24    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
^^^ I did not post the above post from me. However you posted in the same vein as me so if you had a problem with my post then why do you not have a problem with yours. Hypocrite. Much?
 Chipsss
Msg: 210
view profile
History
What puts you off messaging someone?
Posted: 12/22/2012 10:52:26 AM
I use the services of an accountant. Finance is a broad term but what I specifically mean is a large section of what has contributed to the way the economy is. Surveyors will always be needed whether those I refer to exist or not.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2012 1:51:01 AM
saw a profile earlier, "if you dont have a pic, then dont bother, cos your either married, or butt ugly"

personality wise alone, i would`nt go within a 100 miles of that person :O)
 ChocolateTrousers
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2012 10:47:34 AM
Not being online or on the will reply list. Having a profile that looks like it was written in 3 minutes 51 seconds. Inhuman orange skin. Looking like you haven't got your shit sorted out/not taking pride in your appearance. Boring me to death on the forum. Very matter of fact profiles that focus more on their job or status than on their personality, I want to know your opinions not read your CV.
 ChocolateTrousers
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2012 2:33:49 PM
I should add that saying your friend put you up to this, that you arent sure what you're doing here or that you dont know what to make of this site are going to mark you as a waste of time.

If your friend put you up to this you are going to flake and you're here on this dating website to find someone to spend time with. I hope that helps
 gurufabbes
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 5:17:31 AM
Jonathan, great post. Although what follows will not reach up to what you've written, here's my addition.

WARNING (You will not like any of the following):

-You're listed as 'A Few Extra Pounds' (Sorry, I just am not attracted to you. It's not meant in a judgemental way, it's just a physical preference)
-You're under the categories: 'BROWSING' (you're wasting everyone's time)= 'Looking to Date but nothing serious' (why do we have airheads on a DATING site?)
-Your picture just shows a close-up of your face. We’re not clueless concerning what you’re trying to hide.
-Looking for 'friends'.... on a dating site. Can one not stress enough how annoying this is?
-You're in a relationship/ 'not looking' (WHY exactly are you on the site?)
-You're using the site as some self-confidence bulging playground. (many pictures in skimpy outfits, nothing to say)
-You're not looking to go out of your hole, away from your computer screen. If you’re on a dating site, one would assume you’re not here to chat for 2 months before meeting at a café.

As an added point:
List of Stupid, Useless Majors overcrowded with female students that have no clue why they're at University:

-Women's Studies (Haven of lesbian feminists who don't shave their armpits)
-Environmental Studies
-Anthropology
-Sociology (I can indulge in wannabe post-modernist hybris as well without needing a degree for it)
-Psychology (Some go on to do great things with it, others just use it as an excuse to go to class while partying the rest of the semester. Other poor saps think they can read people's minds from it)
-Development
-Communication (To learn to communicate, one would assume)
-Ethics (To be ethical??)
-Film Studies (I can watch movies too)
-Conflict Studies/Human Rights
-Global Studies (Yes, the world is big and round. Now learn something more specific)
-Globalization Studies (Big Bad Corporations taking over the world and building McDonalds Restaurants on top of Navajo Teepees yadayadayada)
-Theatre (speaks for itself)

-Bohemian Dance Studies… etc etc..
 gurufabbes
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 6:23:05 AM
If someone could send me a copy of the original post of jonathan or anything similar, I'd be really grateful.

They deleted both the thread he started and his post on this forum. What he wrote was gold and spot on, and I have no reason why the moderators took it down.
Censorship, pure and simple.
 gurufabbes
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 7:42:58 AM

What reason would they give you anyway as it wasnt your thread or post , or was it ?

Perhaps when there is an amusing topic which received quite a response, they should explain to the users why it was inappropriate or risk doing a disservice to the people participating. Also it would let people know exactly where the limits are, rather than leave things, as they seem now, up to the unilateral whims of the moderator and subject to interpretation.

Lastly, unlike anything that you've ever written, I'll actually remember what Jonathan wrote.
 gurufabbes
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 9:42:04 AM

Congratulations on finding love in here , i hope many more of us find it too .:)

I wouldn't mistake some actual truth and amusing comments for love. I understand if you're not able to recognize the difference.
By all means, you (pl.) can keep up the feel-good euphemistic garbage which gets us all nowhere.
 Loose_end
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 10:11:26 AM

And don't forget the usernames like thick-kn*b....big-kn*b...huge-kn*b

Fancy calling yourself that. They may well see themselves as a thick kn*b but why would they want to advertise it?

I've been called some horrible names at times, i wouldnt dream of having one of them for my username.

Oh wait! Maybe i did! Damn you ex! How dare you mock my impotence.......Oh hang on, i didnt mean to type that out actually.......
 Loose_end
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 10:25:54 AM
Should i ever delete this old profile of mine, i feel sure there would be an inevitable return. I would call myself "Monster Schlong" or something like that. Pretty sure that would guarantee some nice, homely girl with a twinkle in her eye to get in touch. The type I'd take round to meet my Mum.

Think I've said it before on here, It's really only negativity that puts me off messaging someone, even the virtually empty profiles I've spoken to have been ok, i even dated one for a while and she was rather lovely, just not someone that great at writing profiles. Being good with the written word isnt something high on my list of potential partner requirements.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 11:33:25 PM
pretty much everything these days hahaha, too large, too far away..too good looking ( funny but true )...:O)
 icarusi
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2013 5:34:47 PM
Quite a long list I'd hesitate to post here, but profiles set as verse, even worse if they actually are verse. 'About my date, he/she will be etc..........and another thng.............etc.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2013 2:36:41 AM
My partners reaction would be enough. I have too much respect for my swannicles.
 daver987654
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 3:03:48 AM
If the first line reads something like "if you're just here for sex, jog on". I'm not, but I've jogged anyway.
 TheRe-SownRose
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 10:33:13 AM
The above posters profile is a prime example of what would put me off messaging.

vvvv But Nick it's so full of anger and vitriol, pof is supposed to be fun!
 TheRe-SownRose
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 11:20:49 AM

my profile full of anger?? haha, thats hillarious, try getting a soh and reading between the lines like most people do who message me, a lot is tongue in cheek, how come non who have messaged me have never mentioned anger? maybe thats how you want to read it, so it looks bad, but thats your choice, it aint changing for the odd individual who may not like it or read it all wrong :-)

Ok, I'll give an example of what concerned me about your profile, and you do sound angry here. This:

and people read my profile and STILL lie to me, haha its so funny its hilarious, example.....'My Conversations Chat' 'above your mail box'...if you tell someone you are going and the chat stays RED and your name keeps jumping to the front of the queue.....it means you are still here moving around/sending messages, dont use the excuse your phone keeps you online, or you aint logged in, cos you are lol, if you leave the RED chat turns GREEN after 5 minutes, and you go offline after 30 minutes, why lie that you aint here when you are, doh

Is this really necessary to have in there?
 andy1961
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 11:56:14 AM

yes its necessary to all the liars who try to tell you they aint here when they are, it does not mean im angry, its just telling women not to lie to me cos i aint stupid, and its true, plus there is laughter in there, again its how you want to read it, where im from we say it how it is, and thats how it is, im a straight talker not a bullsh*tter, and again i will stress most women think its great and very funny, but they got a soh, the only ones who dont like it know its about them or aint got a soh and are too serious.... fun? lol :-)

There's not a woman on the planet who'll find your profile funny.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2013 11:32:01 PM
^^^^ connect a hamster wheel to your lappy and get a hamster lil ! :O)
 Chuzz16
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 12:34:52 AM
I just had a peek at my contact history.

Apart from one, every person I have made first contact with, has been someone from the forums.

So, I'm either not taking this dating malarkey very seriously any more,
The profiles I take a nosey at, don't do it for me,
I'm too busy answering all of the mail I get (we women have hundreds every day , don't you know?) ;)
I hate rejection or........ I'm frigid. :))
 daver987654
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 3:09:26 AM

The profiles I take a nosey at, don't do it for me,

Oh well.
 daver987654
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 9:12:34 AM
Or "I'm a self made man" - get better plans next time!
 Chuzz16
Msg: 278
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2013 2:58:52 AM

Yes. A good looking woman instantly became the ugliest woman on the site when I read that profile. But if people want to put bigoted views on their profile then they're doing people a favour as we now know to avoid them before getting in touch with them.

Exactly! Just think if you had spent time and effort on them before you found out what nasty people they are.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 284
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2013 10:35:46 AM
At the risk of sounding catty...

People who state a diva personality when their profile pic shows them dressed like a sack of potatoes;
People who write profiles as though they've vomited out their inner dialogue;
People who try and inject humour into their profile and fail dismally;
People who not only fail to grasp the meaning of the word psychopath but can't spell it correctly either;
People who demonstrate that having a batchelor's degree in education is no bar to being a complete thicky.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >