Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Your thoughts on the "End of the World"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 egricsillagok
Msg: 21
Your thoughts on the End of the World?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
"Since they are all designed to allow believers to take a chill pill of one sort or another, I stopped listening to any of them. If it comes, it comes. But if I count on it, and don't get my mortgage payment in on time, my rear end will be out in the cold, so I work on the mortgage."

If your theory holds, on human nature in this fashion, then there is right there the beauty in it: people can cover their derrieres from assaults from both directions. It appeals, must, to people that they are sitting pretty whether the world ends (because they did their housekeeping and bought in into one or another "savior" plans or policies) or it does not end (because they are up-to-date with their mortgage payments.)

I agree with you, although I am not sure if the theory is sound. the social / belief aspects of the explanations. I am only carrying your groundwork one step further. People like to feel smug and well-protected, and this end of the world event they can do that comfortably. this is why nobody in the western world is panicking. "sitting pretty if I do, sitting pretty if I don't," is the motto now.

--------------------

"I think its interesting (talking about the Mayan calendar here) that the Mayans did not take into account leap year and we have had over 500 leap years since when they made their calendar. So this December 12 thing should have happened around 2 years ago. Unless they did take into account leap year and we don't know about it, then we are up a creek. (smiley face)"

My take on this is that the Mayan calendar basically is day-count based. it does not present an algorithm; or if it does, due to language barriers we don't see it and don't read it, we don't know it's there on the stone tablet at all.

so to us it's a day-count based calendar. and yet people are amazed at how accurate it is.

well. It was made, (I don't know the exact number, but a random number for illustrative purposes will work just as well here), say, 20,876 days ago. we look at it, and say, "hey, this was made 20,876 days ago, and now, 20,876 days later, it accurately predicts that today will fall on today."

Or else I don't understand the nature of its precision.

"Not to mention, we would see it coming. If it took 3,600 years to orbit, it's doubtful it would suddenly pick up speed and hurl toward us unexpectedly..."

annybgoode, I agree with all your points, but this one.

If Niburu comes every 3600 years, this close to the sun, then its path is a really large ellipsys. If you go back to grade 7 physics, you'll remember that Kepler observed, and Newton explained why, the orbits of those things around the sun that are much smaller in mass than the sun itself, are in a very close approximation of a regular ellypsis, one of the focal points of which is the gravitational centre of the sun, and the area that is swept by an imaginary chord from the sun to the object, in a given time, is always constant. which means, that the object's movement is the slowest when it's farthest away from the sun and the fastest when closest to the sun.

this means that the ellypsis is narrow, and the planet zooms past at incredibly high speed when it is nearing anywhere closer than Jupiter. If someone is good in math around here on this forum, then they can tell the mass at rest of this planet, and its top and bottom speed, given the fact alone,that it orbit lasts around 3,600 years. this calculation is child's play for a body who remembers grade 11 physics.

so the only thing I wanted to say, that every other claim being true, then it is necessarily a very high speed that Niburu is coming at us. In fact, if I knew the math I could tell you for sure, that the speed of Niburu could be so high, that by virtue of the relativity theory, its mass may be comparable to the sun's, but I would not put money on that if I were you, unless you check the math out first.
 egricsillagok
Msg: 22
Your thoughts on the End of the World?
Posted: 12/15/2012 9:04:48 AM
""All of the prospective world end scenarios have the same result: we're toast."

which is equivalent in saying we are in a jam.

this is also the reason why the seasoothsayers are buttering us all up that it's really not the end, but a new sun, a new magnetism, a new era. And a new ear, too, a special treat to the hard-on-hearing dyslexic population. (who by the way, it just occurred to me, would be healed in their dyslexia with better hearing, because new ears would mean the glasses would not slide off of their ears, and fall off their heads, thus causing them to not lose sight or ability to see the text they read, and therefore no longer making mistakes in reading and spelling.)

-------------

"The Mayan Calendar ends on 21 Dec 2012 simply because they ran out of rock."

what goofy whiners we humans are. we worry about running out of oxygen or carbon dioxide, whereas the mayans were worried about running out of rock, so they only used a very small amount of their immense, but in reality limited supply of rocks, to make the calendar.

---------------

"If you're asking about this ambiguous December 21st date, then no, I don't believe in it. I believe our species will be long gone by the time our Sun expires."

sciolism, you raised a valid point. the sun will expiate all valid transfers on the London transit commission's vechicles in two billion years. but on what date? that is the big quesion. will it be december 12, december 21, may 35, or feburary 30, the birthday of my grandsibling, twice removed?

-------------

"God has allotted 7000 years to the world as we know it"

KingsKingSingSing, this is not a false statement at all. It is still valid and does not contradict logic.

what the Proton said that we knew that god said this. In approximate ways, if you wish. Proton made no claim on our knowledge that we know that the world is to last 7000 years. His claim is that we know that god said this. the knowledge is not necessarily of a fact in real events. It can be a knowledge of fact of fictitious events, much like we know that romeo and Juliet were hopeless lovers, both to die horrible deaths, which ought to be a lesson, a warning, a red flag to all young lovers worldwide.

--------------

strange medic, without trying to be funny, and with no intention of showing disrespect, I am dying to find out what the aztec view or definition of "sun" is.

"Were reaching the end of the era of the 4th sun, and entering the new era of the 5th sun."

I have difficulty seeing that the sun gets periodically replaced. so it must be some meaning other than an ordinal numbering of sequences of new celestial bodies that replace each other.

i am curious on the meaning of what you call a sun, when you speak of 1st sun, second sun, etc.
 -mindful-
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/15/2012 4:13:22 PM
I'm guessing the age of information will either wipe us out or lead us to abundance.

The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world on December 21, 2012, their conquorers did. Mayans still live and the elders say it is a time of growth, not literal death.

I have a sneaky feeling that we will be more unified in the coming decade and that within 25 years we will look back on greed the same way we now look back at children participating in public executions.
 sexandthepof
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2012 5:44:25 PM
I don't believe December 21 will be the end of the world. It's just like 1999, everyone was talking and worrying about what would happen in the new millennium. Something changed bad, lots of things changed better. We've gotten much better technology and medias. After this long recession, the world will have to be better. It's a cycle. Believe it.
 dynamovolition
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2012 9:17:57 PM
I like to refer to a quote by one of my favorite physicists currently...

"End-of-.world prophesies for 2012 are hoaxes perpetrated by the scientifically illiterate on the scientifically under-informed." - Neil Degrasse Tyson

In my opinion the whole "end of the world" thing is nonsense. Not only this 2012 one, but the multiple ones made before and the ones that will continue to come after this current one passes in about 5 days. People find opportunities to take advantage of other's fear. Unfortunately it starts with the uneducated, and highly gullible and is spread by those who happen to also be charismatic in addition. I find it very sad to know that there is a vast number of people who will believe in something which clearly has no evidence to support the claims that they are spouting. There is not a single "end of world" prophesy that is in any way shape or form based on scientific fact. Just as NDT insinuated, a person or group of people will misinterpret a scientific finding and will just run with it spouting whatever nonsense they fabricate in their mind and spread that fear based irrationality onto those who don't know or even don't care about anything that is well-rooted in scientific fact. What ever happened to rational thought? It seems to me that there is a large percentage of the human race that completely reject rational thinking. Why is this? Is it because it's easier for them to parrot information they hear from other people rather than to think for themselves and come up with their own opinions? Is it mental laziness?

What do you guys think?
 Dokkodo
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/17/2012 12:54:20 AM

The world can barely provide resources for 7 billion today

That's actually a misnomer. We could easily provide the resources for every living person, the problem is we have improper allocation of resources at every turn.

Not enough food? Thanks to men like Norman Borlaug (Wikipedia him if you don't know who he is) we have the ability to grow crops just about anywhere and feed everyone.

Not enough room? Just take a plane that flies over Montana if you don't think there's enough room for everyone.

The world as a whole is getting better all the time thanks to technology and scientific advances. People just **** a lot more because we are complacent and have the ability to **** pseudo-anonymously with no consequences.

Look what happen in that school on Friday with 20 kids being killed.

Look at the dark ages. People used to get their heads lopped off for simply stating facts that the church didn't like. Civilizations used to be systematically wiped from the planet.

Yes the occasional nutjob still pulls some shit like this school shooting. Yes certain countries still have daily atrocities going on daily that are far worse than this school shooting. However, as a whole, society has moved forward and continues to do so.

When we as a society think that there NO MORE WRONG and NO MORE RIGHT..Then things will continue to get worse.....

I have quite a strong morality. A vast majority of the people of the world have their view of what's wrong and right, although it doesn't always mesh with everyone else's. (Like people who think homosexuality is wrong...well I think they're wrong.)

Perhaps YOU don't know the difference between wrong and right, and if that's the case you are a scary person.
 IntergalacticGuy
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/21/2012 2:36:45 AM
Obviously the mayans were correct. Its raining fire here as I speak!
 -mindful-
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/21/2012 4:26:33 AM
Why do so many people think the world is going to end today?

So many people claiming they know about the Mayan calendar and apparently they all get their information from whackos that have no idea.

How do you get a new age confused with the end of the world?

It's actually pretty funny.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/21/2012 8:48:17 AM
I'm waiting to read responses from all those ones who're certain today is 'The End Of The World As We Know It' (TEOTWAWKI) once they realise they'll need to be at work tomorrow for their shift - but they quit their job last week and sold their possessions 'cuz they wouldn't need them after today ... it is to laff. 'New Age' - indeed ...

One of those Mayans had to be an ancestor to Barnum ... or W C Fields ...
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/21/2012 12:07:40 PM
Yup, the world still exists.

I am abit disappointed.
Now I will have to buy everyone Xmas presents afterall.
dangit.
what a chore.
 JustDukky
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/21/2012 12:57:36 PM
Hasn't the world ended yet?...Damn!...I built all my plans around not being here after today. Now I have to figure ot & plan what to do tomorrow...and the next day...and the next...

This is all getting too complicated. I think I'll screw the planning, just take each day as it comes, and try to enjoy life for a change.

Today isn't the end of the world, just the end of my planning...It's really a new beginning...This time I'm gonna do it right.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/21/2012 1:02:20 PM
People are making jokes about the end of the world like there's no tomorrow.
*sad trombone" wah wah waaaaw
Sorry, you've probably heard that joke 15 billion times today.
 rockondon
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2012 3:31:08 PM
I don't like to brag but....I've survived the end of the world like 6 times already.
 billingsmason
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/21/2012 10:53:27 PM
where did some of you people grow up?
children got to participate in public executions?
seventh grade physics?

Wow.... I'm out of my league here, but my guess is:
the Mayan calender just runs out around this time.
just like my 2012 easyriders calender does.

either that or the christians killed the calendar maker.

then again..... there are still seven minutes left.
 billingsmason
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/23/2012 9:43:04 PM
You're Not My Real Dad!!!
(I knew god was from below the mason dixon line.....)

OP-
ride on sonny... crank 'er... sail on the wind
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Your thoughts on the "End of the World"?