Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Marijuana Legalization and the stereotype      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NDTfan
Msg: 26
Marijuana Legalization and the stereotypePage 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

In my personal experience, pot-smokers are hard to hold a conversation with because they can't keep track of the conversation or they simply seem unable to attend to other people or their surroundings; they're emotionally flat, disengaged and forgetful.

In my experience, that describes very very few pot smokers that I know... and usually the "burnouts" (that's what we call them here) are that way because they don't limit themselves to pot.

A friend of mine has medication resistant depression; she's been battling it since age 8 and has tried everything. Now, she'll get up a half hour before the kids, walk the dog and have a smoke, and then get back to the house to get on with her day. It energizes her and helps her cope. Now, she very rarely has symptoms when before she would be bedridden for days on end.

I'm willing to bet that you don't know what pot smokers are really like because you can't tell them from the next guy in most cases.
 matchlight
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Marijuana Legalization and the stereotype
Posted: 3/26/2014 1:48:19 PM
I don't much care if someone smokes pot. I haven't quite decided if it should be legalized, and so far I haven't needed to. It still is listed in schedule one of the federal Controlled Substances Act, meaning that it has no legally recognized medical use. Whether the U.S. has the resources or the inclination to enforce that law is another question.

I've been around a lot of people who were stoned, and what I noticed most is how boring they usually got. Hard to have much of a conversation with someone whose mind is constantly drifting someplace else. Pot can be fine when not much thinking's required, though--as a seventeen-year-old freshman, I once had a pretty thirty-ish English professor invite me to her place that evening for a smoke and some relaxation . . . .
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/27/2014 12:44:14 PM
I have a daughter who is a "stoner", and it seems like her life revolves around weed. She always reeks of the smoke, doesn't seem too motivated about much. She doesn't drive so there's no issue there.
My older sister tells me I am a cell-phone addict, I always have it in my pocket, and it chirps and beeps and I text someone or read something every 15 minutes and she can't stand that. I find myself in a store or on the street and I observe people with their phones, they are there but their mind is elsewhere and I kind of agree with my sister, it becomes an addiction.
The "stereotype" of a pot addict isn't much different than a cellphone addict in that their behaviors are very much driven by their jones. I would venture to say that way more car accidents involve cellphones than pot smokers too.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2014 4:14:45 PM
I would agree with Paul on that, with the small addition that not everyone reacts to any drug use the same way everyone else does.

Some people become more introspective, and sit quietly in a corner when they are high. Others become more gregarious. Other still, turn into thoughtless, staggering drunkards. In that way, marijuana intoxication is the same as alcohol intoxication, in that each person has their own response.

As Paul correctly says, if you know someone well enough, you will at least recognize that they are under the influence of SOMETHING when they indulge. Unless they suffer a brain infarction or some such, which can appear to be intoxication.

All in all, it means BOTH that the common stereotypes of Pot smokers are valid, and that they are invalid, at the same time.

When I was a kid growing up, Tv had not yet conquered the universe completely, so stereotypes tended to grow from direct experience. If everyone I ran into who were from a given place, or did a given thing for a living, behaved a certain way, I would naturally deduce that the behaviors were directly connected to the place of origin, or the person's gender, or to whatever other factor was consistent about them.

Nowadays, the influence of TV and other visual media is so pervasive, stereotypes are manufactured almost to order by Hollywood and other entertainment sources. Most people my age grew up with all pot smokers being portrayed as dithering hippies, and silly people, epitomized by Cheech and Chong's routines. For that to change, will require a LOT more than gripes from the quiet introspective people, or from the various other categories of indulgers.
 Byrd
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2014 4:42:37 PM
I smoke weed and don't drink it makes me feel good so I do it. But of course Messages this short can not be posted..lol So I have to keep writing even though I said what I had to say..
 gtomustang
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/29/2014 5:26:04 PM
Thank Tricky-Dick Nixon for demonizing the demon seed. When he offered to wage a war on drugs, everyone understood what he really meant was, "those inner city people, and those anti-Establishment hippies". Certainly not suburban moms and their "mothers' little helper."

ever since, certain politicians have been clearly understood by their intended voter base when they refer to reefer. Its the same as promoting, "local government"--it means DC won't be sending the Justice Dept to enforce voting laws, the DOE won't be demanding your schools teach evolution and sex ed, local business won't get handcuffed, et cetera.

Of course, now we have a new problem with the recent legalization--people believe driving stoned is no different than driving distracted or driving drunk. so, we have to be "trained" again to recognize bad behavior as evil behavior.
Posted: 3/29/2014 8:18:11 PM
Guaging what people are like after smoking isn't helped by two facts -

- As I understand, all weed falls under two (or three?) sub-species of weed...one tends more towards making you more contemplative and chilled out, while the other tends more to make you energetic and playful.

- There are also non-weed "substitutes" composed of any combination of particular botanicals (other plants) that are used for a kind of high but also not illegal and not indicated by tests. The behaviors on these can be as different from weed as the different kinds of weed are from each other.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/29/2014 10:47:11 AM

Some alarming data originating from Colorado, where Marijuana is 'legal'

Yep, it is alarming:

Colorado Sells $34 Million In Marijuana In One Month: $3.4 Million Goes To Schools, And Crime Down 15%
By: Shanka Herath

Inspired by an article written by Christina Sarich on Natural Society | Anyone who thought the legalization of marijuana would be a dangerous move is up against some serious numbers. Weed sales are continuing to incline, and crime rates are continuing to decline. Not counting medicinal weed sales, Colorado sold over $34 million in their recreational weed market in the month of August JUST for the purpose of recreation. $3.4 million of that (10%) goes straight into government coffers and towards building schools. At this pace, according to PolicyMic, Colorado will make at LEAST$30 million this year in pot taxes alone.

http://www.wisethinks.com/2014/12/colorado-sells-34-million-in-marijuana.html
 calguy14
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/29/2014 2:47:01 PM
@drinks #25
Apparently most if not all hemp carries latent genes for drug production.The French called it "tricky hemp".

They carried our gov experiments in the 30's.They took hemp seed from France and planted it in one of their colonies closer to the equator.The seed produced was replanted for five successive years.After five years it was indistinguishable from the native hemp.The seeds from the tropical location were planted in France following the same regimen.These also resembled hemp native to France after five years.

Powerful weed is not good for young people in school,nor those driving if they got really ripped.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/29/2014 6:08:43 PM

They carried our gov experiments in the 30's.They took hemp seed from France and planted it in one of their colonies closer to the equator.The seed produced was replanted for five successive years.After five years it was indistinguishable from the native hemp.The seeds from the tropical location were planted in France following the same regimen.These also resembled hemp native to France after five years.

Did you make that up or did you get it from someone?

Because if it is the later you need to go kick them in the balls because they just made you look like you really have no idea what you are talking about.

I would explain it to you, but it is birds and bees talk and I do not know if your mommy would like you learning such things like how seeds make plants and the such.

So you keep with the crazy talk and people will keep laughing at you.
 robaustralia
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/29/2014 8:52:15 PM
MSG 35

What are you a botanist? Hemp is a photoperiod plant which means that after the summer solstice when the days get shorter it stops producing new shoots. Common sense would tell you that daylight hours in the Northern Hemisphere such as France, compared to the equator where daylight is essentially 12/12 would produce a completely different looking plant.

You should really check your facts, before throwing around immature barbs.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/30/2014 7:03:06 AM

Hemp is a photoperiod plant which means that after the summer solstice when the days get shorter it stops producing new shoots....

Which means that if there is still light it will just grow bigger, not different.

Common sense would tell you that daylight hours in the Northern Hemisphere such as France, compared to the equator where daylight is essentially 12/12 would produce a completely different looking plant.

You are basically saying that one type of plant could turn into a completely different type of plant just by changing the amount of light.

Unless you cross-breed that plant with other types you are not going to see any changes. That is some ultra basic sh*t and if you can not even understand that you really need to think before you type.

You should really check your facts, before throwing around immature barbs.

Irony noted.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/30/2014 7:55:28 AM

Colorado Sells $34 Million In Marijuana In One Month: $3.4 Million Goes To Schools, And Crime Down 15%
By: Shanka Herath

And the reason being, in most of the larger cities in the US, it is the drug cartels etc, who are killing each other the most. And in most cases, it is when one violate one's others turf.
So now with the sale of legalize pot.... it has helped the decline in that respect & less killings in those who deal in pot.

Yet with heroin, thought not as big as the marijuana consumption , is the other drug making a come back, and sadly for those who are selling & using it, has increased in their loss of life. In over doses & gang wars.

As for stereotyping, for whatever your personal ideals & beliefs are....some one would stereotype you some way, shape or form...
 calguy14
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/30/2014 10:53:37 AM
@HFX
You're reading too many High Times mags dude.
That was from an older eArly 70s book,the French studies were comprehensive.IIRC,Canada conducted similar studies in the 70s,Ottawa and Mississippi, grew a shitload and stored it away for future research.:)Much higher THC in the southern sample but you knew that, right?

To be fair I believe this was a sativa only study....sorry no indica,or ruderalis.
Posted: 12/30/2014 10:55:50 AM
Stereotype? I hear that the Hobbits of The Shire have the finest weed in the land. Word. Yo.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/30/2014 1:39:40 PM
You're reading too many High Times mags dude.

Ah the old attempt to discredit someone by suggesting they are more informed.

That was from an older eArly 70s book,the French studies were comprehensive.IIRC,Canada conducted similar studies in the 70s,Ottawa and Mississippi, grew a shitload and stored it away for future research.:)Much higher THC in the southern sample but you knew that, right?

No I did not know that, so please forward me the link to these studies so I can show where you failed.

Because if you are claiming that Hemp was taken from a northern climate and then transplanted to a southern climate and it produced significantly more THC (not by volume but by concentration) you have failed to understand what Hemp is.

To be fair I believe this was a sativa only study....sorry no indica,or ruderalis.

If it was a sativa only study then it had nothing to do with Hemp and you are speaking about a totally different plant.

So you have proved you have no idea what you are talking about, but please keep up the derp based Harper logic with regards to weed being stronger.
 robaustralia
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/30/2014 1:57:43 PM

You are basically saying that one type of plant could turn into a completely different type of plant just by changing the amount of light..

Unless you cross-breed that plant with other types you are not going to see any changes . That is some ultra basic s*it and if you can not even understand that you really need to think before you type

Here is some basic s*it you are obviously unaware of . It is fact of nature that cereal crops grown in latitudes that receive more daylight during the flowering process produce higher yields and guess what? Those same crops grown at different latitudes look different. Hemp is no different. At no point did I say they turn into different plants.

You should really check your facts before you type

Irony noted.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/30/2014 2:08:45 PM

Here is some basic s*it you are obviously unaware of . It is fact of nature that cereal crops grown in latitudes that receive more daylight during the flowering process produce higher yields and guess what?

And when you understand that Hemp plants used for harvest, are male plants that produce no fruit you will be well on your way to understand how wrong you are.

Only a marijuana plant that is female and has not been fertilized by a male plant will produce "bud" that has THC in it.

So making an statement that an hemp plant grown in a different climate would produce more THC shows that someone does not even understand what a Hemp plant is and basic botany.

Those same crops grown at different latitudes look different. Hemp is no different. At no point did I say they turn into different plants.

If it is still hemp then it has basically zero THC, so putting it in a climate with a longer growing season is only going to give you a bigger plant, not a different one.

Your claim that a plant would evolve into something different just because of the amount of sunlight it gets is a epic fail and you should be embarrassed to keep making such claims.
 robaustralia
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/30/2014 2:59:28 PM

Your claim that a plant would evolve into something different just because of the amount of sunlight it gets is a epic fail and you should be embarrassed to keep making such claims.

I never claimed that a plant would evolve into something different. Is English your native language? As you appear to be struggling with comprehension.
Let me simplify it for you. The more sunlight received, the more flowers that are produced.

An apple tree in Tasmania might produce , just for example sake, 200 apples. An apple tree at the equator may only, once again just for example sake, produce only 50 apples.

Do you not think they would look different? Even though they are both still Apple trees.Of course they would look different.

That is why the company in my country that makes hemp clothing chose Tasmania to grow hemp plants because Tasmania receives more sunlight than any other latitude in my country. Hence they get bigger plants with bigger heads. In other words a higher yield.
Therefor if we planted those seeds at the equator, those plants would not grow as big nor produce as many heads. So they would look completely different.

That is the whole point that has gone sailing right over your head.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/30/2014 3:56:07 PM
I never claimed that a plant would evolve into something different. Is English your native language? As you appear to be struggling with comprehension. Let me simplify it for you. The more sunlight received, the more flowers that are produced.

Let me explain this to you, hemp does not produce flowers / fruit so your analogy would only apply if we where talking about marijuana and not hemp.

An apple tree in Tasmania might produce , just for example sake, 200 apples. An apple tree at the equator may only, once again just for example sake, produce only 50 apples.

Which is not the point, because the claim was made that it would produce different apples, not more. So please before you jump into a thread read what is being discussed as to avoid any future embarrassment for yourself.

The more sunlight received, the more flowers that are produced.

and when you understand that hemp plants do nto flower you will be well on your way to understanding that you either have missed the point of the discussion, or you really have no idea what you are going on about.

That is why the company in my country that makes hemp clothing chose Tasmania to grow hemp plants because Tasmania receives more sunlight than any other latitude in my country. Hence they get bigger plants with bigger heads. In other words a higher yield.

Another failure, as it is the stocks that are used along with the fact that hemp plants do not flower or bud.
 calguy14
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/30/2014 4:35:09 PM
Google the Ottawa area farm,I talked to a person that saw it.It might have been 1970.
Hemp,cannabis sativa in North and South America,varies greatly by latitude.All plants produce flowers,some much less than others,morphology varies greatly, leaf shape and count .

So apparently you had some difficulty understanding the transformation the French observed.I tried to find that book but no luck.Take a male and a female,allow the female to become pollinated.At maturity collect the seeds.Next spring you plant and harvest seeds again,five years in total.The book did not state the origin of the seeds.In the Ottawa example they simply observed the amount of THC produced at each latitude,I believe it was Mississippi stock.In the French experiment the morphology changed.
As for male plants used for harvest,for what?You can ret the hemp for fiber, or seeds from the female for oil or birdseed.Paper could be obtained from either plant.If you claim hemp does not flower how do you feel next seasons crop is produced?Cloning, dude?:)

Google ottawa government pot farm.1971
 robaustralia
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/30/2014 4:59:01 PM

Another failure, as it is the stocks that are used along with the fact that hemp plants do not flower or bud

Err, hemp plants flower just like their MJ cousins. Are you just making this s*it up? Or can you provide a reference to back up your claim?

One of the reasons hemp is grown commercially is to obtain the seeds..No flowers=no seeds.

That is basic botany.

You have achieved another epic failure.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/30/2014 5:10:00 PM

Hemp,cannabis sativa in North and South America,varies greatly by latitude.

Never said they didn't, just stated that they will not morph into something else regardless where you plant them.

It is clear you do not understand the difference between Hemp and marijuana along with the fact you seem to think the amount of sunlight can change the dna of a plant.

The amount of THC contained in a plant is determined by its strain and the only way to change that is to start cross or selectively breeding it.

Also Hemp does not have nor will ever have enough THC to get you high.

As for male plants used for harvest,for what?You can ret the hemp for fiber, or seeds from the female for oil or birdseed.Paper could be obtained from either plant.

You grow hemp in one of two ways.

1) close together, tall plants for stock harvest.

2) farther apart, short stocky ones for seed harvest. (this way you can control pollination and maximize your seed yield)

If you claim hemp does not flower how do feel next seasons crop is produced?Cloning, dude?:)

With Hemp there is a male plant and a female plant.

The female produces seeds provided she is not pollinated.

If she is pollinated she will produce a fruit (though on a hemp plant it is nothing like what you get on a marijuana plant) with some seeds.

So you would do what most farmers would do, which would be to buy seed or produce your own.
 robaustralia
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/30/2014 5:39:28 PM

The female produces seeds provided she is not pollinated

Another epic failure! The more you post the more it becomes obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Which is pretty ironic as that is exactly what you accuse other posters of.

A female hemp or MJ plant will not produce seeds without pollination. That is why dedicated weed growers try their hardest to eliminate male plants as they do the pollinating , which in turn causes the female plant to produce seeds, which is highly undesirable as the female plant uses energy that is better utilised in producing a higher THC content.

Basic botany that.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/30/2014 5:47:20 PM
Another epic failure! The more you post the more it becomes obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Which is pretty ironic as that is exactly what you accuse other posters of.

Sorry I did misspeak and get them backwards with regards to seeds vs fruit.

If she is not fertilized she will go to bud, but if fertilized she will produce seed.

Though it does not change the fact that if you take a hemp plant from North America and plant it in South America you will still have the same strain of plant only bigger.

That is the root of the conversation you jumped in on.

So own up to your mistake or please show me how a plant when only changing the amount of light can morphed into something else.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Marijuana Legalization and the stereotype