Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 99
Athletic body type and the people that have themPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Hozo:
I believe you should have selected "thin" as body type. You are no more athletic than I am according to your description, yet women do not consider my body type "athletic" at all.

I chose "athletic" because I regularly lift weights, walk fast/jog, and am a passionate hiker. I am athletic and thin. Last year I did 26 steep hikes in the high Cascade Mountains and Olympic Mountains of Washington State. I am stronger and faster on the hiking trail than men half my age. "Slow down!" my male hiking partners yell.

As a musician, I have a rhythmic gait. "ONE, two, UP, step, ONE, two, UP, step..." I have an internal rhythm, a song in my heart. It keeps me rhythmically grinding up steep trails.

Saying I am no more athletic than you is your opinion. Join me on a hike and I'll kick your butt. No man has ever called me "un-athletic" before.
 Hozo
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Athletic body type and the people that have them
Posted: 3/9/2014 10:05:10 PM
I have backpack hiked in the wilderness with the best of them in the Appalachian mountains many times. I was one of the few who were not out of breath when we took breaks... although its been a few years now since I"ve hiked. People who hike around here hike on flat-pre-cleared trails and consider themselves hikers. I call that walking through the woods. LOL.

I choose to bicycle 60-80 km round trips these days. I am still considered thin and not "athletic" by anyone on here at first glance. That is all I am saying! Again perhaps it is a gender thing. If I were female I may be considered "athletic", but as a male, I am merely "thin", as defined by the majority.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 101
Posted: 3/9/2014 10:34:11 PM
Hozo,

Like you, I consider hiking on flat trails walking through the woods. In WA State our mountains are 10,000 to 14,000 feet high. I hike to high alpine lakes, surrounded by white glaciers and jagged mountain peaks. Staggering physical beauty. A typical hike gains 3,000 to 4,000 feet in elevation over eight miles.

I laugh at the "mountains" back East: hills to me.

You raise a good point about male and female perceptions of body types. Women often call me "skinny," a term I hate. Men call me athletic.
 Hozo
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2014 11:19:18 PM
Yes, that is hiking! The Appalachians are mere foothills in comparison. We gained maximum 300 metres (1000 ft) or so during a half-day hike up, then back down .

Women often call me "skinny," a term I hate. Men call me athletic

I prefer to think I am "Mick Jagger" skinny...to put a more positive spin on it LOL

My observation is you are able to wear the athletic badge here on POF, but I cannot, due mainly to gender it seems! I am predominantly thin, and that is what I am visibly tagged with, since I do not have anywhere near a mainstream football-player physique. Women and men both call me "skinny", but the funny thing is that I could slap any similarly-aged mainstream football-player physiqued athletic type, for example, then outrun them as they collapsed trying to chase me.

Being athletic and having an athletic body type are two totally different things

True....for men mostly. Not fair!!!
 Coma_White
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2014 12:53:53 AM
What I find strange is that many people that have the so called "athletic" body type in my city are also smokers. I wonder if they'd like to have a friendly footrace. It's almost as bad as the heavy smokers that say: "People tell me I look a lot younger than my age".
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/10/2014 10:14:10 AM
I prefer to think about 'Athletic' in terms of lifestyle, not a body shape. I fully appreciate pictures of runners from marathons - but if it's from 3-4 years ago, it doesn't hold as much sway. It's pretty much like a 25 year old talking about lettering in three different sports in high school. You've been past that for several years now - what have you done for yourself lately?

We have a LOT of women in my area that love posting pictures from those 'Mud Runs' where they set up an obstacle course with flaming logs and mud bogs and the like. Yeah, they are a lot of fun - but in terms of fitness those things are not a huge challenge to do once a year. I have a friend who has stage IV cancer and is constantly suffering from the effects of Chemotherapy and she's run in that Mud event the last two years and is planning a third.

Photos end up being the only real online truth-in-advertising, not any text label or description.
 Coma_White
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2014 11:15:02 PM

I prefer to think about 'Athletic' in terms of lifestyle, not a body shape. I fully appreciate pictures of runners from marathons - but if it's from 3-4 years ago, it doesn't hold as much sway. It's pretty much like a 25 year old talking about lettering in three different sports in high school. You've been past that for several years now - what have you done for yourself lately?

We have a LOT of women in my area that love posting pictures from those 'Mud Runs' where they set up an obstacle course with flaming logs and mud bogs and the like. Yeah, they are a lot of fun - but in terms of fitness those things are not a huge challenge to do once a year. I have a friend who has stage IV cancer and is constantly suffering from the effects of Chemotherapy and she's run in that Mud event the last two years and is planning a third.

I'd have to agree. I listed myself as "athletic" because I try to be as active as I can. I train three times a week as a black belt in Karate and I'll go to the gym or do yoga as well. My asthma has always been a problem so I'm trying to get rid of it by doing more cardio. I don't think those mud runs are a good way to guage physical fitness either. Then again, a lot of larger folks will describe themselves as "average" and when you meet them they're the biggest person in the room.
 JMM603
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/8/2014 7:32:50 PM
Even though I'm not really "built" I still picked "athletic" as I was up until a few years ago, skinny fat, with a gut and man boobs. But still average build. A few years ago I decided to clean up my diet and workout. I do about 100 pushups a day, 15-20 pull-ups, kettlebell swings and brisk walk (bad knee, can't run for long distances) per day and am now pretty lean with a flat stomach. I've also been told I look "fit" by quite a few people.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/8/2014 11:02:13 PM
I would think that "Athletic body type" should mean that you look like an athlete.
In other words, you actually are lean, have "muscle tone".

And just because you exercise all the time does NOT necessarily put you in that "Athletic body type" category because when I go to the gym, I see regulars there all the time and wonder why they don't step up the INTENSITY because they still look out of shape.

Please people....look in the mirror before putting "Athletic body type" in your profile...it is deceiving.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2014 3:18:16 PM
Not entirely sure everyone would see me as athletic. I chose it simplt because I'm in good shape and maintain it through exercise and other activities. Wrestled for seven years, infantry for over five years... I've just kept at it, part of my daily life at this point.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2014 3:47:08 AM
A pic says it all.. as I have said before. Think I posted a link to athletic body types a few pages back.
It varies a great deal.

I know what I find looking /being athletic impo, and others opinions will vary by quite a bit I have found.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=pics+atheletic+body+types&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Not entirely sure everyone would see me as athletic

^^^^^^I would unless below the elbows is a whole dif ball game.( gut esp)
Your arms look in shape ( good). I can't see the rest of you.I would assume you are at least fit and not over weight.

Put anything you want to. The truth comes out when you meet regardless of what people say about themselves( in the eye of the beholder of course).

I would prefer a box that says" fit"myself.
We dont have many options to choose from. Athletic is a close as I can get other than slim/fit and they dont have slim/ fit. They could also have avergae/ fit or just bodybuilder/ muscular which is a body type and not necessarily what one would call an athletic person.

Look at football/baseball players, lots of them chubbos esp football.
They are athletes, but are not always athletic looking.

You also can have a lot of muscle but put a few pounds of fat over that and you can look almost obese.

People get to wound up about what others choose to put.
Decide for yourself what you think.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2014 7:26:27 PM

I can't see the rest of you

About the same as what you can see. Abs and "v" taper.
I have to have shirts tailored or they look kind of dumb on me.
They are all cut straight these days which leaves a lot of loose material around my midsection, just looks sloppy. :-\
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/21/2014 9:25:34 AM
I have an athletic body type under the squishy layer.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >