Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I'd like a review please :)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dark Owl
Msg: 23
view profile
History
I'd like a review please :) Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Okay, I can't do anything about the pictures right now, it'll have to wait a bit as for the rest of the profile, I've reworded it and removed the list, can you have a look and tell me what do you think?. Thanks!.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 24
I'd like a review please :)
Posted: 12/27/2013 5:06:54 PM
Owl - Good effort on that first paragraph, but you have to understand that the photo is what pulls them in, the words hold them there. Feel free to expand some more, it doesn't cost anything.
Without the photo , , , well, we are sitting at the red light waiting for it to turn green: can't move at all.
I would also thin out a bunch of your interests, many are kind of duplicates.
 ouija2013
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/27/2013 7:03:08 PM
Ditch the restrictions
Make yourself stand out.. you aren't hiding here you want to be found!
First paragraph is way better..
Good you love your friends, but are they coming on dates? Makes me think she has to win their approval, daunting.
 ouija2013
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/28/2013 5:52:56 AM
Shep - you have to start your own thread. At the top, you need 200 characters. :/
 Dark Owl
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2013 4:35:37 PM
Okay, added an extra paragraph, tidied up the interests list and made less of a point of how important my friends are. I'll sort out the pictures once I'm back from holidays. Last thoughts?
 Dark Owl
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2014 3:26:26 PM
Right, finally found some time to do a self photo shoot and updated the rest of the profile a bit more. Still same result though, many views but no replies. Any more advise people?.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/20/2014 3:54:02 PM
Now you have - me standing up, me leaning against the wall, me sitting down, all with the same shirt and hat. Do you really need the repetition?
 Dark Owl
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2014 3:59:14 PM
Well, I wasn't in the mood for changing clothes for every pose, I know they might be a bit repetitive but they're absolutely up to date, I'm smiling and you can clearly see me, I thought that'd be enough. Do you think I should remove some then?
 Dark Owl
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2014 2:04:27 AM
Anyone else has anything more to add?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/21/2014 7:07:48 AM
Picture "variety" will certainly drive increased interest.

Have a friend take two dozen well-lit, OUTDOOR, crisp photographs using a high-quality digital camera...which is preferred over a fuzzy cellphone. Include a variety of backgrounds, activities, and various articles of clothing to add greater interest. Upload the best images of the bunch. Ensure you continue to date and caption each...to make them more entertaining to read. Good luck with your romantic search. :-)
 Dark Owl
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2015 2:50:05 PM
Another year and another profile revamp, any takers?
 ScooterSB
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2015 2:55:54 PM
Avoiding the group shot photos is important. Keep the focus on you and only you at all times. One group photo at the max. The worst thing that could happen is a woman looks at your profile and thinks "hmm, his friend is cute, I wonder if he's single"
 sealady111
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/15/2015 3:17:30 PM
I would suggest more photos of just you with a smile.

Your profile looks OK.

Remove your email filters.
I am sure you can sort through the multitudes of messages.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/15/2015 3:43:16 PM
Hi Dark Owl,

I like it when people let their first name show.

You have a giant run on sentence:
I Love running, cycling and keeping fit, did my first half a year ago, now going for the marathon, enjoy the outdoors quite a bit and hike as much as I can, mostly day events with the odd long weekend away thrown in for good measure (Snowdonia, Lake District...).

Also, insert marathon after half so it makes sense.
Break up that paragraph.

You could stand to go into a bit more detail about yourself.

Tell about the woman you seek.

Main pic should be your face.
Um could you crop that pic above the orange pants? They steal the show.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/15/2015 5:42:15 PM

Another year and another profile revamp,

What???

Do you mean to say that you incorporated the previous suggestions from 2 years ago, and your inbox is not bulging with messages?

How could that be?

On a more realistic note, online dating is just not what it used to be years ago. Like 6-10 years ago.
Women overall just do not participate like they used to.
Google Jon Millward's "Cupid on Trial" experiment, done in 2012, for the most sobering perspective.

The best advice I can give any guy is to use as much clean humor as possible in profile and messages, and hang in there and hope that it starts to get appreciated again soon, like it used to be.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/15/2015 6:02:06 PM
I agree about the pants :) One group pix is fine but who is the good looking guy you with? Doesn't always work to your advantage.
I envy your travels but I wonder how many women can afford to join you on those travels.Might wish to tone down that a bit
But bless you for bumping up your old thread!
 call_me_tater
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/16/2015 6:31:20 AM
That experiment, although extremely flawed, tells us nothing we didn't already know.
The most attractive women receive the most messages, and women in general don't send first messages.
Location is a very important variable, as is age and other stats...he only used 5 extremely large cities and didn't investigate different age groups.

I have an extremely attractive male friend in his 40's who joined here and received over 30 initial messages and an average of 10 new messages per week and 2-3 from women who already wrote him.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/16/2015 7:10:15 AM
Dark Owl...good on you for "bumping" your prevailing Profile Reviews thread. Much appreciated!

POF groups interests into 3 columns. From an aesthetic perspective, it looks best to have 9, 12, or 15 in total.
Non-runners will not know what a "half" is in your sentence. Use the complete description and call it a half-marathon.
Several of your sentences are extremely long. Consider dividing them into shorter sentences. Good luck.

Dark Owl
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2015 5:05:02 PM
Thank you all for your replies, I've applied most of the changes that have been suggested, as they are all valid points.

Speaking of online dating, to be honest, I don't bother sending any messages that take me more than 1 minute to think and type. I started sending well thought out messages trying to reference as many things from their profiles as I could, but quickly realised that It was just a waste of time as my response ratio was about 1/50. Nowadays the ratio has remained the same, but at least I don't waste too much time.

Indeed online dating has made things actually more complicated than they used to be for both sexes. Everyone knows too much choice is just as bad as too little, and unfortunately on the web choice seems limitless, so we end up not picking anything.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/18/2015 5:35:12 AM
Looks Good.

I suggest to delete this:
Feel free to message away, I promise I don't bite

P.S: Brownie points if you've got a dog :)
They know what to do.
Brownie points are cliche.

I also suggest you expand the text to include more details so we get a good feel for your personality.
 Dark Owl
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 7:19:05 AM
Thanks for the advise, I've added a short paragraph about my personality, let me know what you think.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/18/2015 7:44:16 AM
Nice :)
The only think I think you need to work on is a nice close up--shoulders up.

Nowadays the ratio has remained the same, but at least I don't waste too much time.
Your reply rate should be much higher.
Are you messaging based on hottest looks or those who seem to fit your life and you find interesting?

You're in the age group where women want to settle down with a life partner and the 1 yr longest relationship may be hurting you.
Are you truly undecided about children?
Women your age know the answer to this and it may work against you to not know.
Some want kids, some don't but they know and very very few are undecided.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/18/2015 8:00:02 AM
Add you first name
It should be 500lb not lbs
The Halloween picture should stay firmly on facebook :)
If I had a quarter for everything I have read " I don't bite" in a profile I could buy the boots I want.
 Dark Owl
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 8:26:09 AM
Well, I usually check 2 basic things, 1) do I find her attractive? 2) Do we have things in common? . For me that'd be enough to try and meet someone, from my point of view, I want to get face to face as quickly as possible, because until then it's all words.

Regarding children, I'm not undecided, however, I don't want them right now, there are still a couple of things I want to do before I settle completely, so I chose undecided/open to not give the idea that I want them asap.

As for the relationship time, well, that's how things have been, to say otherwise would be lying.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I'd like a review please :)