Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Contact History - what's yours?Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
^^^ claps hands enthusiastically :O)
 ChocolateTrousers
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Contact History - what's yours?
Posted: 12/26/2012 6:52:42 PM
Pretty sure I'd delete my profile and maybe everyone else's too, if I actually checked how many I contacted and how much time has been wasted. So I wont be looking to see my contact history. Your profiles are safe.
 ChocolateTrousers
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 12:56:51 AM
Well if you were male we'd say you haven't started trying yet. But maybe those are the correct numbers for a female
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 2:07:38 AM
Hi OP, well well well, what a good idea it was to start this thread. It has busted once and for all the myth that women don't send messages as most of the girls have sent out at least 10% of their total as first messages. Even a few of the men who bemoan their lack of fortune have actually received a goodly number of first messages from girls..... IMO the Mods should make this thread a 'sticky' at the head of the forum so that when the next woe is me thread gets started we can tell them to come and read this one rather than have us all repeating the same old same old every time. Well done Jacknher......GP
 Loose_end
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:51:43 AM
In 6 years

I made first contact 21 times
First contact by them 80

That must tell me something, I just dont know what it is.....
 ~Hams~
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 5:27:32 AM
I have been contacted first by 759 women!
Most of the msgs were replies back though to my mass email invites when I've organised a POF meet!
 Loose_end
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 10:33:02 AM

Of course, the men have probably lied and so it's actually much lower

Love it!

Nothing like throwing in a random element here and there to suit an agenda.

I reckon the Women have lied as well. In fact, none of us have ever sent any messages ever! Consequently we look dolefully at our empty inboxes wondering just how many branches we did hit when we fell out of the ugly tree.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 10:35:06 AM
To be honest, the Contact History means very little. I have just had another 'he messaged me' contact - my response - not interested. Somewhat short, but more than the 'contact' warranted. The message 'I live in Newcastle, I would come to Scotland with you and his 'effing phone number. Quite possible the number wasn't his but pretty sad all the same.
 alexcarter2765
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 1:40:51 PM
What an interesting thread, I learned a lot from this mostly i dont think i'll bother messaging anymore but also theres a lot of liars on here, a bit of honesty eh lads, 237 pah!
Anyway my stats are 357 me 39 them
out of these probaly swapped numbers 10-15 times. been on about 6 or 7dates and 3 of these developed into "things" that lasted a few weeks.
Goodbye self confidence lol
 ChocolateTrousers
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 2:11:22 PM
Yes, we all knew that already. The only people who will deny that are those with the agenda to come across as a white knight who understands all the women of the plenty of fish forum, thinking that people are daft enough not to notice.
 ChocolateTrousers
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 2:23:21 PM
Because you're a clean slate?
 GeordieColin
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 2:28:09 PM

Hi OP, well well well, what a good idea it was to start this thread. It has busted once and for all the myth that women don't send messages as most of the girls have sent out at least 10% of their total as first messages. Even a few of the men who bemoan their lack of fortune have actually received a goodly number of first messages from girls..... IMO the Mods should make this thread a 'sticky' at the head of the forum so that when the next woe is me thread gets started we can tell them to come and read this one rather than have us all repeating the same old same old every time. Well done Jacknher......GP

But I wonder how many of those females who made first contact with men have been considered swamp donkeys so do not really count?
 GeordieColin
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 2:30:33 PM

contact history.
3 and that includes markus saying welcome!
and thats how i like it..nice and quiet!!!
can someone tell me why someone would message and IM a
<...... blank profile.
wtf

That will be the formites that do not already know who you are wishing to investigate ?
 GeordieColin
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 2:53:39 PM
It seems to me that the stats gleaned from this thread are not a great representation. Where are the young ones,or the very attractive? Does anyone here think that forum posters are a true representation of the populous?
 happppy
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2012 6:28:42 AM
It would appear I have made contact 902 times do not know the from date but must be at least 7 year and 181 have contacted me...
I always reply but i suspect I am lucky to get 1 in 20 reply if that
 Loose_end
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2012 7:03:08 AM

I guarantee that no woman would ignore a 'Hi' message if they found the sender attractive

Absolutely! Works exactly the same for Men (well, me & you tim for sure). We can all come up with a reasonable profile if we really wanted to. Even if it involved pinching bits from other sources to come up with something short & sweet. It's not rocket science to glean a few bits in his/her profile to comment on.

But being attractive to the recipient. Well thats just pot luck, possibly a ton of makeup and/or plastic surgery. And if you dont have that, you're already in reverse and only ever going to speed up.

Maybe thats why I seem to have noticed more increasingly people mentioning that the real World is much easier to get dates. On here, unrealistic expectations is the thing that pops into my mind with alarming regularity, and that is most definitely not gender specific.

Getting closer to the thread topic. I'm surprised by how few messages I've bothered sending over the years. Although i did increase it by 1 this morning. Maybe in the new year i might start dinging off a few more
 matt e
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2012 12:45:01 PM
The main thing I have taken from this, having checked the people I have spoken to in the 2 yrs i've been active is how many are still looking. I think less than 10% have left and probably not all of them left because they had found someone.
Not very promising is it?
 stonecastle
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 4:26:20 AM
I have never noticed that before, but according to mine I have been contacted first 576 times since Dec 2011!!! And made first contact 28 times, no real discrepancy there then..
That is the problem with dating sites. There are far more men on them than women so guys don't really have much chance on them unless they are extremely good looking. One thing that puzzled me when I first started using these sites back in 2001 was why I was getting so few replies despite sending out hundreds and hundreds of messages. Then I decided to look at the number of female members and the number of male members and found that there were four times the number of male members. So I think if you are a guy and want to get a date you are far better off going out into the real world to meet women rather than online.
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2013 9:18:17 AM
They Made First Contact Total Results: 63

I Made First contact Total Results: 7

Sounds about right though 3 that I made contact with were Forumites that were concerning forum posts with.
 curviest
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2013 9:54:22 AM
112 they first made contact
184 I first made contact

About 50% of those I made contact with did not reply.
About 40% of those I made contact with replied saying I was too fat.
About 5% said they are no longer looking, because they are currently chatting with another woman on here or are dating.
About 5% exchange one or two messages with me then disappear.

When I contact first, it never ends up with a meeting or date.
 curviest
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2013 9:59:01 AM
Maverickgirl69: " Sadly short, fat birds, with curly hair, even those with a good personality and a good heart do not sell well on dating sites... oh well..."

This is because they see our PHOTOS first and because women are judged by men 90% on their looks, we are ruled out BEFORE we get a chance to wow them with our personalities. In real life, it's different, because at a social gathering, we might get chatting to a man who isn't chatting to us because we look sexy and he wants to give us one, but because we are seated next to him at dinner, or at a party, or whatever. Then he likes our personality so much that he doesn't care AS MUCH about how many inches our body measures.

The trouble with the internet is that it can seem to a man as though he has a whole smorgasbord of women to choose from, so why would he choose a short fat bird when he can have a tall thin one?
 curviest
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2013 10:15:51 AM
I've got tons of personality, Marina, maybe too much for many men to handle.

One man I met for one date dumped me because, he wrote "You are too brainy for me, and that makes me feel uncomfortable."

So I have to dumb myself down! Instead of telling them I own a publishing company I now say that I am a typist in one!
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2013 7:10:30 AM
^^^ And, along the same lines, when people say "its whats on the inside that counts"...you never hear of someone walking into a pub/club, and saying cor ! i`d shag her/his pancreas ! hahahaha :O)
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 12:06:51 PM
Lochlomond - Nice to see a guy who is not complaining about lack of responses/dates.

Unless things are getting serious with any of the women, and so long as you haven't led them into believing they are 'the one', maybe the easiest thing to do is just say you are going out with friends

VVVV Lus, only reason I said 'friends' is cos Lochlomond doesn't feel comfortable saying he is on dates. TBH, I'd be more concerned that these women want a night by night diary of what he is up to. Personally, I would be honest and say I was going to meet someone - which no doubt would instantly whittle down the numbers, thereby solving that issue :o)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >