Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What is a break?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bobby1959
Msg: 19
What is a break?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. There is an uncomfortable amount of it that has the ring of truth, but I did ask, didn't I?
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 20
What is a break?
Posted: 12/27/2012 5:49:26 PM

she wanted to take a "Break"
means she dumped you and wants to date someone else, but wants to keep you on the hook just in case the someone else doesn't work out.
 Walts
Msg: 21
What is a break?
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:09:18 PM
Ross and Rachel had a "break" once on Friends,the TV sitcom. It didn't turn out so well for them. Though Jennifer did get to bonk Brad Pitt for awhile. I wonder if they went on a break before Angelie entered the picture?????

Breaks suck man. Big time. Never really turns out too well,especially after each hour passes.
 Maleman999
Msg: 22
What is a break?
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:23:13 PM
What would you do if after moving to Maine, she phones and says "I don't need anymore break time. You can move back now."?
 sweetest
Msg: 23
view profile
History
What is a break?
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:39:49 PM
A 'break' means that lots about the dynamic between you is driving her nuts and she can't take it. Like others have suggested, rather than stop the attack of a thousand knives, she's wavering on what she probably knows she wants, by saying 'break'...instead of 'break-up'.

Given that the logistics between you is quite significant, the status of your relationship is imo, over.

If you were having a lot of problems that couldn't be solved while together, they aren't realistically going to be solved holding on tenuously through a long distance relationship. LDR's have a unique problems that your already rocky relationship will likely not tolerate well.
 bmore_goat
Msg: 24
view profile
History
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 1:27:25 AM

What would you do if after moving to Maine, she phones and says "I don't need anymore break time. You can move back now."?

Exactly!
Did you really need to move to another part of the country? How exactly is that helping you work on the relationship?
 grantfl80
Msg: 25
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 1:34:20 AM
Experience, for me, has shown me that a break equated to separation and eventual divorce. Since then, wisdom has led me to make decisions with 100% intent and no wavering. So, to you I say if you have decided to move and go on with the break...be 100% sure that you are good with the potential outcomes. Even the worst case scenarios... (eg she meets someone new, forgets you, you meet no one, etc etc).

G
 OrphanThing
Msg: 26
view profile
History
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 2:13:39 AM
Is this break period and asking you back a type of pattern? (push away, ask you back, sigh of relief, repeat.)
Since she asked you to leave (or if she moved out), you are not in a committed relationship. Well, the commitment tie is intended to be cut on the side requesting.
A social limbo can be worse than a relationship hell: you are your own abuser, nowhere to run.
If she asks you back, you need to ask what she has done to earn you back, and re-negotiate your relationship to make your emotional investment sound.
 THEMEPACK
Msg: 27
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 2:59:58 AM
Maybe your move was an attempt at "I'll show her". I know I would be pissed but I would have waited a bit before the move as some people need a cooling off period to get their emotions in check. Both of you sound irrational.
We need more dirt...fill in the hole!!!!
 scottey63
Msg: 28
view profile
History
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 5:23:24 AM
A break is something that does not occur in dating, contrary to what many people think. It's a cowardly euphemism for a slow, gradual breakup. I paraphrase Yoda: "Date. Or date not. There is no 'break' ".
 ironwinecoffee
Msg: 29
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 5:31:54 AM
To me a "break" means you are preparing to move on but perhaps not honest enough to admit to yourself or the other person. I don't think you are really in limbo. I think you are a free man and you should just move on. Maybe your GF was doing some kind of "test" to see how you reacted and then panicked. If she was doing that then it bit her. If you really want to be in a relationship with somebody you deserve better than somebody who cannot make up their mind.
 ouija2013
Msg: 30
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 6:14:41 AM
er, if you've been in a committed relationship for 3 yrs why are you even on POF? I'd have asked you to move along too - meanwhile maybe she just changed her mind cause the guy she met on here changed his :)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 31
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 8:32:45 AM
OP, your Florida-based girlfriend tragically overplayed her hand.
You are of the age where you should be able to experience minimal volatility.
Her smarter choice would have been, "I wish some 'alone time' this weekend to be with my thoughts..."
That would have denoted a TEMPORARY situation to clear her head for a few hours.
 safebetinvegas
Msg: 32
view profile
History
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 4:02:09 PM
Seems to me "breaks" usually give one party an east "out".

Further, "breaks" seem to allow the requesting party to play-the-field in hopes of replacing (or supplementing) the party left in "limbo".

Not my style.

Don't like me ? There's the door. No time for pretenders or flip/floppers.

OP, seems you're a carpenter which means you need to "change the lock" and/or shut this door (Ms. Miami) and find and/or build a new one to walk through.
 daysleeper5
Msg: 33
view profile
History
What is a break?
Posted: 12/28/2012 4:21:08 PM
'Break' means she has a temporary permit to go find herself which could be on some guy's mattress but you on the other hand better keep your bratwurst in the freezer if you ever hope to cook it on her grill again. :P
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What is a break?