Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Which Dating Websites Have Good Results?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 p_town_girl
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Which Dating Websites Have Good Results?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Datehookup is pretty much like POF,you can meet people in or close to your area,forums are the same as here too...
and like POF its 100% free.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 27
Which Dating Websites Have Good Results?
Posted: 1/14/2013 12:28:17 AM
Without the ability to contact people you will have NO results. Pay sites routinely block access, so it's like wandering a candy store that charges you to take stuff off the shelf, whether you purchase it or not. Some free sites have so many adds and "click-me" distractions it's just painful to navigate. Zoosk is like that - and it's forever begging you to connect everything to FACEBOOK. There are many free sites, but most have so many ads, pop-ups or terrible design they are torturous to visit.

POF and OKC stand above the crowd. They are both easy to use, browse, contact other people and give feedback. They both promote connecting with people and you don't have to stare at ADs in every corner of the page.

POF is more like a big dance where you can talk in groups or individually and share your dating experience and tips easily with other people. OKC is more like a Hall of Egos where everyone has put themselves on a pedestal, pre-wrapped and ready for that perfect mate to call. The questions and surveys are fun, but there's less a feeling of community - it seems more ME, ME, ME and Only Me than POF.

I find no difference in quality of responses between POF and OKC. Most of the same people are on both sites. OKC makes it easier to show your pickiness. POF makes it easier to blast your attitude to anyone who's listening. Both are head and shoulders above any pay sites because they encourage people to connect and make it easy to do so.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/14/2013 2:18:28 AM

I find no difference in quality of responses between POF and OKC. Most of the same people are on both sites. .

I have found better quality and quantity of responses on OKC. I have not seen a lot of cross membership between OKC and POF. These both could vary by location I guess.

OKC makes it easier to show your pickiness. POF makes it easier to blast your attitude to anyone who's listening.

Being able to read someone's pickiness may be why I get better responses on OKC. More ways to see how we match up or don't. So if you do the homework you don't needlessly email a dead end. The POF attitude blast is another reason I pass on everything but the forums.
 BlaineV
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:27:56 AM
I would never pay for online dating. It's ridiculous. Seriously, how are any of those sites that you mentioned any different from this one? They all look the exact same to me. If you're an adonis, you're gonna get messaged, no matter what you have written down.

Everybody always complains about guys taking pics with their shirts off, but I guarantee you those guys get a lot of messages, and probably by some of the hypocrites who complain about them. Chances are that the only reason these people are complaining, is because those guys aren't messaging them.

Unfortunately, we live in a very superficial world, so why pay for something that isn't a sure thing?
 My_name_is_paul
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/16/2013 11:11:48 PM
Match SUCKS.

I have talked to a few women, but most of the emails I have sent you never know if they hae a free account and simply cannot read mail unless they pay.

I emailed customer support specifically asking how can I tell if a profile is a paid member (so they can, you know, READ and RETURN my emails) and they flat out said there is no way. So I am stuck... cancelling means I won't get a refund... it takes a lot of the interest out of writing someone when you are 80% sure they are never going to read your message simply because they have a free account.

To me that is the biggest scam about MATCH.

PoF has cooled off for me, a couple of chat requests.. but I think they were just bored and randomly clicked on my pic to chat.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/17/2013 8:10:38 AM

I also found that there were plenty of profiles that bait you - that is when it is time to pay or renew you suddenly have interest from a profile. Those profiles are not real.

I just had this experience on Chemistry.com. This site is the most useless one I've ever tried even though the concept sounds good. I gave it a couple of weeks and "resigned" as they call it after signing up for one month. They "spoon feed" you a few matches per day, then you have to wait until the next day to get more. The biggest problem I had was that they were giving me "matches" of women who were nowhere near Toronto. One day in particular, I had matches in New York state, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. I wrote to them complaining about this nonsense and got a standard, meaningless answer back. I pointed out to them that I live in an area with about 5.5 million people and that I can find hundreds of women within that area on traditional dating sites. I think they must have a very small membership base. After my membership expired, a few days later I got an email from someone who was interested in me, which I could not read because I was no longer a member. The site help info says that your profile is automatically hidden when you resign, so I wrote back to them asking how it was possible someone had contacted me when my profile was hidden and asked them to delete my profile and user ID. They complied immediately without answering my question.
 funny4uwannatry
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2013 8:40:05 AM
I have tried several and found the same people for the most part were also on POF. I guess it also depends what you mean by good results. I have had several dates in the past few months from POF, but they were not at all what I am looking for. I think it just takes time and effort to find someone you are attracted to and is willing to be committed if that is what you seek. Good luck
 curviest
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2013 9:36:36 AM
Depends on your definition of "good results".

As a woman, I can log on to AFF right now and get laid TONIGHT, by one guy, or I could contact two or three and have them sequentially or all at the same time. Or maybe even a MF couple.

If that was my ambition, then that would mean it was a good result.
 funny4uwannatry
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2013 10:32:54 AM
jimintoronto2.. that is the old bait and switch many of the paying sites do to get you to pay. Once you pay, these really great profiles disappear. Most are fake profiles designed to get your to join and pay, then you find out the mail slows down and even the mail you get is not from the people you clearly stated in your profile you wanted. Games!!!
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/17/2013 10:48:15 AM

jimintoronto2.. that is the old bait and switch many of the paying sites do to get you to pay. Once you pay, these really great profiles disappear. Most are fake profiles designed to get your to join and pay, then you find out the mail slows down and even the mail you get is not from the people you clearly stated in your profile you wanted. Games!!!

Agreed. So far, this has been my only first-hand experience with this gimmick and it will be the last.
 Crsdan57
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/17/2013 11:35:40 AM
Interesting...I have played in most of the online dating sandboxes but have not been looking in almost 4 years, so my observations may be a bit dated. I met my SO at eharmony and it was funny because when I met her I had been on a couple of dates with someone else I met at eharmony. So my experience at eharmony was positive but have heard many of the same complaints as mentioned above. The questioneer is long and tiresome and you do have to go through a few hoops to meet. It worked well for me but could see how it may not for others.
Match was ok and I actually met someone I dated for a year but did get quite a few scammers and I had this whole meat market feeling about the site. Lavalife gave me a real bad feeling just felt they were about getting you to pay(too many prepaying emails).
Ok cupid, though I found the tests fun I didnt see many people on there that I was attracted to. A coworker has met a couple of people on OKC and swears by it. AFF...sex site. On POF I signed up shortly before meeting my SO. I really never used it for meeting anybody however I am a forum addict. Bottom line is to each his own.
 123pandora
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/17/2013 10:23:38 PM
All these threads are giving such good feedback. Actually, I have heard only good things about eHarmony. One of the reasons is that it is the most expensive and you get what you pay for in life. Besides studies have shown that there is actual scientific data to back up that forum. Also, the folks on eHarmony have made a rather sizeable investment towards their future which shows me that most would be sincere. You never really stated why you were not pleased and got a refund....
 123pandora
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/17/2013 10:28:37 PM
All these threads are giving such good feedback. Actually, I have heard only good things about eHarmony. One of the reasons is that it is the most expensive and you get what you pay for in life. Besides studies have shown that there is actual scientific data to back up that forum. Also, the folks on eHarmony have made a rather sizeable investment towards their future which shows me that most would be sincere. You never really stated why you were not pleased and got a refund....
 mateo45
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2013 9:08:35 PM
Match and eHarmony have the same problem... you never know if the people you're contacting are paid subscribers (aka, can answer you back)! And I recall reading somewhere that once you factored in all the non-paying members, no longer actives, etc., it actually works out to something like only 1-in-30 of the profiles they advertise is someone you can actually talk to! And that's not counting the fact that so many of eHarmony's ''recommendations'' often end up being too far away, and sometimes in the next state! Yeah, agreed you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can also end up buying some pretty expensive junk!

On the flip side, I also have the suspicion that the ''success rate'' on each dating site is probably different depending on if you're a man or woman. For example, on a free site like POF, seems like there are a certain percentage of women who simply get a LOT of messages and that men generally have to 'compete' more and take most of the ''initiative'' here. Whereas on the ''pay'' sites, where everyone has an equal 'investment', gals generally seem to be more willing to 'express interest' as readily as the guys, and their 'intent' seems a little more serious too.
 toooldtoplay
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/10/2013 5:58:47 AM
pof is the only site that is really needed. You can be on other sites that are free, or paid sites but how many people would one person want to relate to. The problem is not how many sites you are on, it is how well you sell yourself on the site that you use. Paying money for the site is not going to do squat except empty your pocket book so that you won't have money to date. Some sites are set up for more risky behavior by accident. Craigslist is because it allows the nude photos but the other regular dating sites, no advantage to any of them.
 prime ribb
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/11/2013 2:50:47 AM
Zoosk is cool. I talked to a few people on there in spite of my non-paid status. somespamsite is more about the pics than what you say in your profile. I only talked to one woman from there on the phone but we didn't hit it off. I say if a person is going the paid route, they should try it out for a month to see if they like it before committing to a year.

Speaking of which, for those who are upgraded (paid) members of POF, what's it like for you since you're a paid member? Do you get more responses? More views? More messages from potential suitors?
 abmccray
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2013 5:35:25 AM
- Match is the best for dating educated professionals. When I have an active "dating profile" (ie. when I pay for a month), I average around two or three new dates a week from there. Being a pay site, it tends to draw more people set in life to some degree. I end up dating a very high percentage of teachers, doctors, and lawyers there, for that reason. Most of my relationships and friendships from online dating have come with match over the years - I've had great success with it.

- OKC is the best for younger, alternative, hipster, nerdy, or artistic types. Due to being free, you get less percentages of people with disposable income. When I'm actively messaging on there, I get around two or three dates per week there as well, with the caveat that there is a lot less cycle through the members, so you may have to leave for a few months to find a group of "new" people. Not being able to filter out people via weight and other aspects (without paying) kind of sucks and no wink option to check someone's interest without composing an entire email can be annoying.

- EH just sucks. Not being able to browse via looks makes the site draw the unattractive, the barrier for entry tends to cater towards the desperate or less open personality types, and it purposely staggers who you can choose from. Outside of being woefully overpriced.

- POF is rather bad as well for the opposite reason. No barrier for entry at all really and its advertising tends to draw people with no jobs at all, too many dead-end single parents, and a lot of people completely lacking thinking faculties. I've seen entire weeks go by where no one popped up in my area that was "date-able." Judging by the forums, this seems to be a pretty universal thing, with both sexes.
 abmccray
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2013 5:44:47 AM

Match and eHarmony have the same problem... you never know if the people you're contacting are paid subscribers (aka, can answer you back)!

That's pretty irrelevant on match. If you wink + message someone (as opposed to just messaging them), it often gets them to subscribe if they're really interested in you or vice versa (I've done the same thing - subscribed for a month just to respond to someone with a really good profile that showed interest in me). The only thing you have to check for on match is the activity date (to know if they're an active member), and the obvious spammer cues that are -really- easy to spot immediately (which is why spam profiles normally last for a matter of hours). Using "wink etiquette" means that you'll get a pretty good number of paying responses with little risk, -if- you have a good profile.
 Luthion
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2013 7:00:18 AM
Honestly? I joined OKC a while back and get far more communication (and simply just interest) then I ever have here. OKC is great in that it really allows you to go into who you are, and does a a stellar job of trying to find like minded people to you. Here, you're just kinda playing the raffle until you do.

POF isn't terrible - I might get one date every month or two here if I'm lucky, and 90% of the convos here end in silence, but for whatever reason I'm constantly exchanging messages over there with people. Even made a few friends on the site. I'm no stud, so it certainly isn't that. =P I'd say at least give it a bash, and be sure to put some time into the questions and your profile on there. It makes a huge difference.
 prime ribb
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/11/2013 9:22:05 AM

POF isn't terrible - I might get one date every month or two here if I'm lucky, and 90% of the convos here end in silence, but for whatever reason I'm constantly exchanging messages over there with people. Even made a few friends on the site. I'm no stud, so it certainly isn't that. =P I'd say at least give it a bash, and be sure to put some time into the questions and your profile on there. It makes a huge difference.

All I can say is before it became a paid site, it was cool. I was getting messages and responses from women I ACTUALLY wanted to meet and date. Third time around is so-so. It's expected you get hit up by women you're attracted to, but I'm under no obligation to respond to them. It's just like women on here who aren't attracted to me. It works both ways.

Zoosk - how did you manage to speak to anyone on that site without paying for it? I thought as unpaid all you could do was just send "flirts" which don't do anything useful?

I found ways around this. For instance, there were women who would send me their number. In time I would use the quick messaging feature to do the same. If they call, they call. The thing is casting your line out there and seeing if there's genuine interest.
 IsisSigurRos13
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/11/2013 12:59:36 PM
Last year Pof was really easy to use and I was meeting up with someone almost every week. The only problem was that I met some pretty bad women and I mean pretty bad. Lately the last 4 months it's been impossible to get a reply so I kind of gave up on this site

Whoever said is for nerdy, hipster, artistic people is right. I stopped using it because of that.

I've been meeting up with women from match and zoosk lately despite the fact they're both paid sites but that how it's working foe :p
 IsisSigurRos13
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/11/2013 1:02:12 PM
Whoever said *

That's how it works for me :P*
 Robes65
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2013 5:52:37 PM
I have some experience with several of the sites mentioned. Each seems to have it's own personality and atmosphere. I joined Christian Mingle because I truly wanted to find someone who placed importance on their faith. I did meet several amazing women, and actually dated one from Ohio for several months. Although that relationship did not last, I did learn a lot and it helped me to know what I needed from the next relationship.

As the pool of women on Christian Mingle slowed down, I joined Match to hopefully expand my range a little bit. I really liked how the Match site is organized and the mobile app is very handy. I was shocked, however, at the amount of scammers on that site. After some time you learn to pick them out and it's not a huge issue. My personal experience on Match was very disappointing. While it wasn't difficult to find numerous women in the appropriate age/distance range, it was nearly impossible to get women to respond to even the most simple messages. I am not a player by any means. My game consists of being an honest guy who is actually a little shy. I married the only woman I dated in college, and was happily married for 24 years. The women on Match seemed like they had heard it all before, and I felt like they treated me like one of the man whores who are always looking for the next score.

The next site I tried was eHarmony for one of their free trial periods. My dad actually met his current wife on that site so I thought I would give it a try. I really did not like the site at all. The presentation was awkward and clumsy. Navigating around the site was difficult at best. The app for my phone was even worse. I would never recommend it to anyone given that there are better options availalable out there.

Within the last several weeks I joined POF after a friend recommended it. I was really impressed with the ease of using the site and the sheer number of profiles on the site. The phone app for POF is the best I have used. I have not experienced any scammers yet. I have had a few conversations with nice women, but there seems to be a general hesitancy to engage even in innocent chatting.

Finally joined Zoosk recently and while I like some parts about how the site is set up, there is a scam factor there as well. Haven't made up my mind about that one yet. :)
 Casper66
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2013 6:24:56 PM
I use POF mostly for the forums, but do keep an open profile since I moved to a new area, I have to say I've had the most success on POF, just haven't found the "one" yet. Lavalife has gotten to be the worst site in my experience, a lot of scammer/fake profiles, only keeping the profile open to use up my last credits, then will be closing my account. Tried Flirtbox for awhile, but unfortuately not enough men my age and those that were lived in a different country.
 SpaznSue
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/11/2013 10:29:05 PM
I have met great guys here on POF, but also flaky. Date hookup was ok but more people on POF. ..watch out for the scammers from Nigeria...my 71yr old mom was taken bad. GRRR Then a scammer from Canada...showed up luckily she saw him coming.
Christian Mingles have heard ok things about. No matches for me though.
Didnt like Zoosk or Match.com
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Which Dating Websites Have Good Results?