Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating in our 50's      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 26
Dating in our 50'sPage 2 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Come on guys, give us Nifty 50's a chance, you never know, you might find you like it.

Why don't you give the Nifty 50s men a chance? You're on here whining that men won't give you a chance--yet you won't date men your own age???

Something is seriously wrong with that picture.
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 27
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/1/2013 6:29:58 PM
We are not bitter....we just want a great sex life with a quality man, who has more going for him than wanting to get laid.

souwana
Msg: 28
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/1/2013 7:18:01 PM
Sure some men are looking to hookup,some just want that and nothing more just take all with a smile while all the time thinking he's not for you .dont give up your a smart lady you'll know when he's really interested, carefull lady's about judging all men that way you'll miss a good one
 mountainstateboy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:14:17 PM
You look forthe one who takes your breath away and if you are lucky enough to have her then you cherish every second spent with her and want her forever to be with you. Love is not a one night stand and more than just a whim. chemistry has alot to do with it, but a great personnality, and one who makes you laugh and cares about you is so good
 hookupforu
Msg: 30
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:25:26 PM
Cyberspace dating sites such as these are mainly for hook ups from what I hear. A lot of men want younger women and some can get them. They have reared their families and now want freedom to sample what they think is out there, for them. So if you want a genuine man I suggest you join a few organisations with like minded interests and where you can see what you are getting. CHemistry is important but mutual attraction is rare and especially as we get older.
 WS1254
Msg: 31
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:28:08 PM
Don't know what is like in US, but in Australia I am 58 want to find someone around my age not interested in anyone young enough to be one of my kids. Don't want a young one.
I contact women my age and get a response from 1 in 5.
Most of the women who contact me are actually much older than me.
So I understand your delima.
Keep an trying you will find someone.
 Latticuss
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/1/2013 9:14:42 PM
I would love to date a stable, fun, attractive woman. I don't expect to have sex on the first date. Trouble is, A lot of women in their 50's are bitter and not really into sex. They get into feminism way too much and complain a lot. Then if they have a couple of bucks, they try to boss you around. Sending you on meanial errands and such. No thanks. Not saying they are all like that. Just a higher proportion in that age group.
I can understand taking the time to get to know someone before having sex. But who gets to decide how long? Some women will use that as a tool to gain power over a guy. And he might be a decent guy who's just trying to do the right thing.
 LCDizme12
Msg: 33
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 5:06:56 AM
Just one more comment and I am done. They WERE in their 50's - one in his 60's. I don't want a younger guy myself. And yes, I do get up and leave immediately. Oh, well, it's just the way it is. Good luck, all!
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 34
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 8:31:08 AM
I do prefer younger men, all the men I have had long term relationships with have been 13 years younger than I. When I message men on here in their 50's and 60's, they reply that they woiuld prefer a "younger date". I have been on this site for over 2 years and trust me, when you get knocked back as many times as I, by older men, you tend to look for younger.

Preferring younger men is fine---but restricting all men over 54 from contacting you is quite another. If you expect all men to give you a chance, you should be willing to give all men a chance. It works both ways. But I see you raised your age limit to 59, so that's much better.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 35
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 9:00:01 AM

When I message men on here in their 50's and 60's, they reply that they woiuld prefer a "younger date"

You have come to a sweeping generalization of men who are your age or older yet you assume men who are 13 yrs younger than you prefer older women based on your experience. You do realize what is usually viewed as the primary motivation for a younger man to contact a significantly older women.

You are entitled to your own preferrences and if you find younger men to be more likely to want a long term realtionship with you than someone your own age they you need to let all these other women on here in on your secret.
 vtxmedic
Msg: 36
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 9:11:57 AM
Well OP there are some of us that are looking for your "stable, fun Attractive" type woman, and aren't just looking for a booty call ! However, from my experience's on here, If you don't look like George Clooney, or have Donald Trump equivilant bank account, or a PhD listed on your profile, you are lucky to even get anyone to respond. I have been out on a few "dates" , nice dinner, good conversation, and been an absolute gentleman only to never hear from the woman again ! So now what am I supposed to beleive ? Most of the women that I have contacted have listed in their profile, they want someone honest, attentive, not afraid to show affection or emotion, and not be a player ! I truly feel that most of them wouldn't recognize those traits in a potential date for the simple fact that this is really not what they're looking for.. I could be wrong, but sure seems that way to me..
 LCDizme12
Msg: 37
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 9:25:17 AM
I don't want George or Donald - that is nothing but trouble! LOL
 vtxmedic
Msg: 38
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 9:34:51 AM
That's my point !

There are those of us that realize that sex is great, but so much more when it's with someone you share a deep emotional connection with.. And at my age it's far more important to have someone to eat dinner with and talk about your day, going for a motorcycle ride together, movie together, concert together, at this stage in my life just having someone to share the joys and burdens together.. That's on the top of my list !
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 39
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 10:09:17 AM
Since coming onto cyberspace in my mid sixties, I've met a number of really terrific fellas. Both from this site, and other blogs. The thing that has worked best, for me, is a very long lead in time. Time seems to provide a self sifting mechanism for the less than desirable, lol! The only time meetups have been uncomfortable disasters with horn dogs have been when *I* let myself be pushed into an early meeting. No, not all the terrific fellas have turned into romantic relationships, but that doesn't alter the fact that they were, and are, terrific men. The two that worked, worked very well; one ended by death, and one by serious illness--age-related dating difficulties, I guess. I'd redo either again in a NY minute.

Since in the meat world, once out of college, meeting an acceptable mate only happened every few years, I don't think online dating has been any slower or more difficult at all.
 FairOaksChick
Msg: 40
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 12:15:07 PM
I have met over 20 men from POF since I have been on here and not once has any of them said anything blatantly sexual or suggested we go back to his place. There was one that was annoying because he kept saying "you're cute" which made me feel he wasn't even listening to me. I told him to stop saying that, and he stopped. There were a few where the attraction was mutual and therefore any advances were not unwanted. I get occasional inappropriate messages but never had a bad experience in person.
Most serious messages in my Inbox are from men in my age range (late 40's on up). There are plenty of men in their 50's, at least where I live, who are looking for a LTR. Most I meet are looking for what I am looking for - someone our age who is active, not fat, can still do stuff such as hike and bike ride, and who is normal, affectionate, loving, honest...
So from my experience, there are no shortage of decent men for women in our age.
 LCDizme12
Msg: 41
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 4:29:14 PM
Lucky you...believe me - we are not making this stuff up. Maybe it's where I live! LOL
 Wonder5750
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 5:21:28 PM
I only met one guy that was icky. Everyone else was polite and kind. Seems you should be able to get some kind of idea what kind of folks they are after a few phone calls. The icky guy gave me clues, but I just didn't catch them at the time. people are people, it doesn't matter how old or where they live, there are good and bad, you just have to pay attention. Oh and Normal is in the eye of the other person that thinks they are normal too lol
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 43
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 7:17:23 PM
I have met over 20 men from POF since I have been on here and not once has any of them said anything blatantly sexual or suggested we go back to his place. There was one that was annoying because he kept saying "you're cute" which made me feel he wasn't even listening to me. I told him to stop saying that, and he stopped. There were a few where the attraction was mutual and therefore any advances were not unwanted. I get occasional inappropriate messages but never had a bad experience in person.

My experience over the years has been much the same. All the men I've met so far have been nothing but courteous and respectful. I usually don't agree to meet until I feel comfortable and have a good idea of his character beforehand.

I will admit that I've had my share of men who have sent some pretty naughty messages (I'm sure we've all had those) and on a couple of occasions, I've even recieved some nekkie pics, *snickers* but that was years ago.

...mae
 Sunfire1959
Msg: 44
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/2/2013 8:14:18 PM
Time, age, wisdom, and experience should make dating in our 50's easier than when we were younger. We all know what we want. The website gives us an outlet to post our wishlist and ta dah! we have the possibilities in front of us at the push of a button.
I have mentioned this on other posts, but I think a lot of how guys approach you on here is based on how you represent yourself in your profile or in messages. I have had some that want hookups, but block them and move on. For the most part guys on here have been really pretty decent.
At one point I questioned dating in my 50's because it is hard to meet a man through the normal channels- church, through friends, and I would never date anyone from work. I find it easier to meet men on here than any other method.
 FishOwl
Msg: 45
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/4/2013 12:55:53 AM
The physical side without any real connection I can do by myself; I don't need you or anyone else.

Chemistry I can get cooking, food chemistry.

Getting so I don't need the games that a lot of the women play, both on here and then in real life because this just a new wrinkle in real life. Wider introduction pool.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/4/2013 3:01:13 AM

I have been "interviewed" on a first date about what I like to do during sex
I have been asked to "just touch me" (him)
I have been asked back to his place ... not so bad...but when you never hear from him again after saying no thanks, you know the score
I have been asked what kind of panties I wear on a first date

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So you got up and left I assume or laugh first and then leave?
Did you stay through the dates? Curious.

Gross generalizations

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes
 Trevork52
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/4/2013 5:24:39 AM
"How many "NORMAL" men over 50 are on here."

At least one I hope!

Message 22 ... You appear to be right with that but I hope you are wrong! Does that make sense? Not really I suspect. I think the types of chap that you seek are likely not as active on the forums which can give that impression!

Trevor
 LCDizme12
Msg: 48
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/4/2013 3:45:34 PM
Yes, Peppermint - I paid what I owed and got up and left. And no, there is nothing in my profile or conversations beforehand that led them to believe it was OK. Actually, I have since met one or two men since that while may not be right for me, are not stooping to this level. Maybe things are looking up. LOL
 BigBikerGuy1961
Msg: 49
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/4/2013 6:47:12 PM
I'm looking for a relationship not hook-ups.
 ineedapool
Msg: 50
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/4/2013 7:20:49 PM
I cant get a guy to even continue conversations with me. Guy's over 50! I would think if their profile says they are looking for a relationship then they would continue to keep in touch. But alas they do not. They must be hitting on the women who are younger. As much as I would like a relationship the only serious resonses I get are from guys in their 40's which I don't want. Being 60 and hitting the dating scene again is hard enough without playing the "cougar game". I tried that when I was 42 and it ended in near disaster. Cost me a bunch of money too! Honestly I don't know what men in their 50's want. They say a "stable" relationship yet they are wishey washey.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating in our 50's