Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating in our 50's      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 101
Dating in our 50'sPage 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
I am saying this to point out that most of us gals are just looking for a nice guy with whom we have some attraction - and that is not based on money and looks.

Well I hope it stands the test of time so you can prove your point to us. Will you be keeping us in tune with updates on this relationship?

I have to wonder if he will be picking up the tab on the next date or if you will be going Dutch or treating seeing as you are finacially better off.
 LCDizme12
Msg: 102
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 7:29:29 AM
I am not well off - not by a long shot. And I have a special needs son at home...so I am not footloose and fancy free. I am self employed in the construction field where there are ups and downs. But I own a home where he does not - and that is what I had meant.
We had met somewhere that had an expensive brunch buffet...and I opted to not have anything as I could never eat that much food. So while I did not go dutch (offered to pay for my drinks but was declined) ...I did not create a big tab just to have him pay. As to future dates...I will play it by ear.
Why are some of you so black and white about who pays? Most guys feel good about treating someone they really like. Yes, I feel a guy should pay most of the time....but I like to do my half by cooking, buying little gifts, and treating sometimes. And I am someone that a long walk, or just going out to listen to music is as much fun as an expensive night.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 103
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 7:53:15 AM
Yes, I feel a guy should pay most of the time....

Then you probably should find someone who is more finacially secure than you are if you are looking for a long term relationship otherwise he may go broke paying most of the time and the joy in that dissapears pretty quickly.

When it comes to being financially secure it is much more about whether your spending habits and aspirations exceed your forseeable income than it is about having a few shekels stowed away. But then some women see a man as a source of income.
 timeforall
Msg: 104
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:05:36 AM
I think almost all women, young or old consider the financial ability of a guy. When I was in college, women were always sizing the guys up and their potential for a good future. The guys were were in the five year medical programs (one year of college and right off to medical school . . you obviously had to be smart) had more women then they could handle, and that was regardless of what they looked like. As for middle aged women, I think most of them have given up on the idea of love. They are looking for a financially secure companion to spend their days with. Money has more to do with this than love imho.
 bogienights
Msg: 105
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:22:52 AM
"They are looking for a financially secure companion to spend their days with. Money has more to do with this than love imho."

Well, I'm sure there are many women this way. Some are looking for a companion that pays..and pays as stated on the forums by many women.

All of us at this age group could be considered from the "day old rack", we've been around the block a time or two. I know when I first married I wasn't looking for a big wallet, I just fell in love with a guy I felt I couldn't live without. We didn't have much for a number of years until we built it up. Now I'm looking for someone interesting, interested and can hold his own in the financial department. A retirement plan would be a bonus.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:46:14 AM
^^^^^Are you implying that you don't consider a woman's financial situation when you dating? Hard to believe. It might not be the most important thing, but for any relationship lasting longer than a few weeks, I would bet it is a serious consideration, unless, of course, you have bags of money and can afford to carry the can all by yourself.
 charliesmom21
Msg: 107
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 3:55:40 PM
LCDizme12.. I am with you. Maybe because I was raised that way, maybe because most of my dates offer to pay and I do cook dinners and do other nice things in return, I dont think sex is even part of that so calling women prostitutes is a little bit bitter and maybe a sign that that man thinks because he buys you a dinner or drink a woman owes him something? I dont think so.
 LCDizme12
Msg: 108
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 4:21:23 PM
I think alot of people have lost the ability to do something simply because it feels good to do it....not for what it gets them in return.
 linne2
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 4:29:27 PM
what is up with men they done know what they want some times
 Happy_gal2013
Msg: 110
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 4:50:37 PM
Op do not let men's bad actions define you as a person. Stay true to yourself and you will see life can be good. If A guy feels a prostitute is better, then he should just go ahead and get one. Who cares. A man may want sex, that doesn't mean he going to get it, unless you agree. If a guy wants a younger one, go do it. I myself like men around my age and I'm not into heavy men. We all have preferences. We are adults and can do whatever we choose. Just be true to yourself. Good luck
 SweetHeartedLady
Msg: 111
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:28:33 PM
There is a lot of dysfunction in today's relationship with men & women. It is sad.. but true.

I refuse to get jaded. I am staying true to me & when the right man comes he comes.. & if not than no regrets..

I really learned that Happiness is an inside JOB.
 Happy_gal2013
Msg: 112
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/14/2013 8:00:30 PM
Like I said, Joe go for it. It's your dime not mine. You may have better luck that way. By your posts on other forums it makes you sound angry. I'm sure that's not going to help you get dates on here. I'm sure know one cares. Good luck joe
 natgoat227
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 1:09:44 PM
We talked on here for 4 or 5 pages....
I ofered my Phone #...
She accepted and called 10 min later....
We talked for over an hour and a half....
Just about ready to set up a firm time and place for a get-together.....
.... the time on my account ran-out....:
*CLICK!* . . . "Your available time has expired....Please refill your account at.....:....."

D'OHHhhh..!!!
I mean...

$#!+!!!
 charliesmom21
Msg: 114
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 3:21:43 PM
I have noticed Joes angry posts as well. sorry Joe, no one wants to deal with your angry past. Not all women are hookers nor should they be treated that way. I have inner happiness and dont let the "losers" get me down. I am not playing games, using anyone , nor will I be used. Dating is harder with all the dysfunctional ones I have met on line, but I will keep trying, I know I am not the only real, honest and caring person left.
 Paderic
Msg: 115
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 3:32:21 PM
A woman who doesn't offer to pay her share wouldn't get past date #2 or #3 with me.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 116
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 6:29:21 PM

A woman who doesn't offer to pay her share wouldn't get past date #2 or #3 with me.

The irony is that many women will offer to pay their share to be polite---however, if you take them up on their offer, and you were the one to extend the invitation, chances are high they wouldn't go out with you again, anyway.
 Happy_gal2013
Msg: 117
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 6:40:09 PM
Wow it looks like joe deleted his account or the pof people gave him the boot. His anger got the best him.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 7:01:09 PM
Halcyon,

If a guy is a attracted a woman, he will go out with her 'whatever'. We get brain freeze.

I've paid for 98% of dates I've had in life...whether it's the first or the tenth. It's just something I do. I appreciate it when a woman makes a sincere offer but I don't like to take her up on it. My girlfriend is more likely to show appreciation some other way...get tickets for a concert, make a real nice dinner, buys me a shirt, etc.

Woman probably spend a lot more time preparing for a date, have more shoes, cosmetic, etc. I more or less grab a clean shirt and comb my hair. If one adds up a woman's cost over a year 'to look great' it probably exceeds any restaurant tabs, etc.

In the scheme of things, dating doesn't cost much in life. . We might eat out twice a month go to a movie, and that's not asking much.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 119
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 8:00:16 PM
I just watched Millionaire Matchmaker & Patty Stanger just said the one who asks the other one for a date is the one w/ a penis! LOL!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 120
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 8:36:10 PM

I just watched Millionaire Matchmaker & Patty Stanger just said the one who asks the other one for a date is the one w/ a penis! LOL!

She can be sooo crude sometimes. Some of the things she says.. Last week I caught a rerun and she told the guy to stop thinking with his penis.....Wonder how she maintains her clientele?

...mae
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 121
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 9:02:05 PM

That's interesting. I asked my man out for drinks and paid the tab---the last time I looked, I didn't have one. ;-)
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 122
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 9:53:17 PM

She can be sooo crude sometimes. Some of the things she says.. Last week I caught a rerun and she told the guy to stop thinking with his penis.....Wonder how she maintains her clientele?

They have a lot of money, but no class. Although I saw that episode too, and she was right to say it to that guy. She is pretty direct when needed, and most of them need that - not that they listen to her, but she speaks their language.

Wow it looks like joe deleted his account or the pof people gave him the boot. His anger got the best him.

He was getting my vote for Male Troll of the Year so far. Can't say as I'll miss his annoying whining.
 Fantasy Guy
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/15/2013 11:04:31 PM
Wow! I love for a woman to offer to pay, I think its great. But, I try to pay most of the time. I just think a man should pay.
 Happy_gal2013
Msg: 124
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/16/2013 3:30:36 AM
[I just watched Millionaire Matchmaker & Patty Stanger just said the one who asks the other one for a date is the one w/ a penis! LOL!/]

Yes I seen that also, Patty is a hoot. She can be harsh at times with both sexes.
 Paderic
Msg: 125
Dating in our 50's
Posted: 1/16/2013 5:23:46 AM
Millionaire Matchmaker, now that sounds like a show for the brain dead.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating in our 50's