Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you ever think it's just Fate?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wastrel
Msg: 23
Do you ever think it's just Fate?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Coincidences like that happen commonly.
When the outcome gets our attention, only then does the coincidence get strong attention, and we wonder about Fate
but
it remains coincidence. Couldn't have happened without both of you putting in the effort of being here in the first place.

I didn't know you had to unhide the profile to edit it.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 24
Do you ever think it's just Fate?
Posted: 1/3/2013 7:30:39 AM
The great thing about fate is that it inherently gives us the freedom to pick and choose what we think is and isn't pre-determined. Meet your soulmate? Fate. Get laid off, but then land a far more satisfying job a month later? Fate! That poor girl in India who was savagely gang-raped and beaten to death in a manner too gruesome to describe on the internet? Fa-...oh no, that can't he fate. A child molester set free due to a legal tehnicality who goes on to lead a long and healthy life? Not fate either.

It's almost as if fate is complete baloney!
 nirvanawithu
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/3/2013 9:46:34 AM
I always felt Fate was when conditions in life changed dramatically, very much against the odds, as though it was somehow a predetermined event. Profound enough that you look back and think that fork in the road, either good or bad, had quite an impact on your life. Like a small arbitrary decision to buy a lottery ticket that won. I would use "luck" to describe wining, but fate to describe what happened in life as a result of winning.

I find it interesting how many interpretations people have and even the dictionary has several meanings. The unfavorable destiny, or doom hadn't crossed my mind.

I was busy with business matters and had many other things going on at the time, so I knew I didn't have proper time to devote to a relationship. At the time, I would never have responded to her because she has a 10 yr. old kid and I wasn't up for that. She didn't tell me about that until just shortly before our first date! I was also freaked out when meeting her father and soon to be step mother. Both of them gave me that rare feeling like I had met them before and already knew them for years. That's only happened a handful of times in my life. I had more fantastic life changing experiences in that relationship than any other in the past, yet in numerous ways, it never should have happened.

I think it's fun to think about possibilities in life that started out with something so mundane, like the click of your mouse, and where it leads you...
 MarkKCurry
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/3/2013 11:18:48 AM
Fate is in the HANDS of the BEHOLDER.. yup.. just in that order. You think good things into existence. I say it is and that's the way it shall be. As a man, you have to be able to profess the things you want with your tongue.

Example.. "I would like for her to be my wife"

after you say that to yourself.. then you make whatever changes you need to make in order to steer that vehicle down that marriage path. Whatever you ask for that you can't have is NOT yours.. and that's what most people have a hard time realizing.
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/3/2013 1:21:26 PM
I believe there is fate for everyone.

We were born with fates PLUS our specific personalities to match with, these personalities direct the persons' conducts and behaviors, just like someones who killed to rob, also someones who keep giving to help the unfortunate, lazy people can be rich, but not likely to be great leaders... etc., personalities affect everyone's story which was already designed in their fates. Yes, personalities can be the biggest enemy to some people themselves. However, not all hardworking and aggressive people are guaranteed of proportional returns, that were also already designed in their stories. Even though we were all given pre-designed fates, we can still make our (moral) decisions from various choices throughout our lives. p.s. but you have to beat somethings like selfishness, greediness...etc first. It doesn't matter what fate you were given, its the journey that you can feel, experience (sweet, sour, bitter...etc) matter, we will go back to the nature someday anyway.
 jan1025
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2013 3:44:44 PM
"Fate" is just a word that some human being thought of to explain something out of the ordinary that happened to them, and "fate" has turned human beings into dreamers.

With so many variables out there it's just the way it is....

Believing in fate is like believing in a prince charming or the Easter Bunny.

Life is what you make it!

Being at the right place at the right time sure does help! The more you get out in the world the more likely you will meet someone, and I believe it has nothing to do with fate.

Jan
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/8/2013 8:08:31 PM
All this talk about fate... and chance, and luck, and destiny and karma... but no mention of The Universe.

Funny thing is, when I was growing up I never heard any of these words used. Now I believe it (substitute which word you prefer of those above) is what rules/controls our lives - nothing else. No amount of wishin', hopin' or dreamin' is gonna make things happen.

And any attempt I do make here on POF gets rebuffed. What's a guy to do??
 Feather21
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/8/2013 8:14:43 PM
I believe in fate 100%
 Be_enchanted
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/8/2013 8:44:21 PM
Was it fate ? Nope, I believe it was happenstance.
 gogogo66
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/8/2013 10:34:59 PM
I believe in fate!
So many times ive met people(no not off here,just in work and where I go) and it turns out there was a reason to even have known them.
Guess people are drawn to me for various reasons,it someone you meet along the long path in life it was mean't to be. Am talking about males and females and all sorts of reasons why this said person suddenly appears in your life.
My opinion only.
 TheWayOutIsBroken
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 11:08:08 PM
yeah, I do. congrats!
 THEMEPACK
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/9/2013 1:56:03 AM
My friend was looking for a dog....just so happened one day a stray that was dying from various wounds and starvation came into her yard and collapsed beside her car. She told me it was meant to be, the dog was nursed back to health and after a year has fully recovered from his ordeal. I told her the dog was dying and was looking for shelter from the sun and couldn't walk any longer.
 chrisshrew
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2014 1:06:36 AM
"Being single is part of life, just like being involved. We are all one or the other a couple times in the course of our lives. One is not better or worse, right or wrong. It's just part of the journey. Some of us are single longer than others, some are involved longer than others, but we've all been both."

Hmm, I very much doubt all of us have been involved with someone a couple times in their lives. We have all been single at one point agreed as there was a point before when even the first relationship started. However some people are single all their lives so we definitely haven't all been both.
 hemingway114
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/10/2014 5:11:23 AM
And here I thought it was all about the hokie-pokie!
 basilisk123
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2014 6:29:25 AM
I think fate has to do with important events in your life that change the trajectory of it, even if it is slight. It could be a huge change, like a death or a love, or it can be small, like when someone you don't know smiles at you to cheer you up when you are feeling down. It is all fate no matter how small. Life is a mixture of predetermined scenerios and free-will choices. You never know which one you will get because it is impossible to wrap your mind around each and every small factor that can lead to an event.
The point is to appreciate the here and now, because fate has a habit of throwing curve balls at you.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/10/2014 6:31:40 AM
Maybe he's a die-hard Breaking Bad fan and your comment insulted him or made him realize you're not a match after all. JK, but really, who knows. I don't think your text was desperate, but I would not send another one. I had something like this happen to me, only he texted me right after the date and told me what a great time he had had, and I responded likewise. Then I did not hear from him from him again. I did end up messaging him on POF when I saw his profile as "online now", and things started again from there, but the whole thing ended badly and I would not do it again or recommend it. If the guy is really interested he WILL be in touch again, even if it is months later. He might just want to date a few other women before he realizes that he liked you the best.
 Maleman999
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/10/2014 6:41:42 AM
In every sport contest, there are winners and losers. Is it fate who wins and who loses?
 basilisk123
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2014 8:40:23 AM
"In every sport contest, there are winners and losers. Is it fate who wins and who loses?"

I really don't think so, it is a mixture of training, talent, chance, and opportunity. It is very complex. The fate part is what happens with the outcome. If it changed someones life, then yes. If no change occured, then no. The record of a win or loss does not matter if no one puts any importance into it.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/10/2014 10:43:16 AM
Luck, fate, is the combination of opportunity with perseverance. In other words, I MAKE MY OWN FATE.
For instance. I am right now in a relationship that you could say that fate brought us together. She is everything I want. She is attractive, yet down to earth. She loves sex, but believes in the spirituality of it. She is kind of shy, yet an intellectual equal. She has two adorable children at the right age, to where we could form a new family.
One of the reasons we work so well, it's the demise of two of my previous relationships that also involved children.
You could say it was fate, since I was the very first person she dated online.

We are were we are because both of us have the same goals and desires.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/10/2014 11:41:38 AM

Coincidences like that happen commonly.

How many "coincidences" have to happen before it's no longer just "coincidence"?

Being at the right place at the right time sure does help!

How many times, or years, does one have to be in the right place at the right time, without planning, before it's no longer just "coincidence"?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you ever think it's just Fate?