Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NJ2ITH
Msg: 30
Guys & Gals would going Shopping on a Date be Taboo or Fun ? Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
So, I actually did this recently on a first date from here (technically 2nd after first meet). Didn't end up working out, but it was fun because of similar interest. The guy was into Syfy and looking for movie posters, so we ended up looking through posters/prints and then Electronics, Video Games and DVDs. I didn't end up with a match, but I did go home with a couple of posters (one as a gift for my brother) and some DVDs, so it wasn't a total waste. So I guess it could work if you're interested in browsing the same things. Clothes shopping is something completely different.
 bbqjudge
Msg: 31
Guys & Gals would going Shopping on a Date be Taboo or Fun ?
Posted: 1/8/2013 9:23:21 AM
I've actually thought of this and wondered how women would feel about it. I received some gift cards for Christmas and was looking for some new shirts and I thought, "you know, this would be so much better, easier and more fun if I had someone along to help me pick out some shirts." I thought about calling a woman I'd been out with a couple of times to see if she would like to join me but I figured that she'd think I was weird and drop me.

Unfortunately, she dropped me anyway a couple of days later!
 OutMind
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/8/2013 11:39:18 AM
I hate shopping. I hated that about my ex, who could shop for hours on end, only to then want to see the same item but now at Norstrom. You got to be kidding me. The girl I am dating, we went shopping together for the holidays. Loved it. She shops like a guy. Go in, find what you want, go out. Done. Awesome.

The only place that I really enjoy are farmer's market and ethnic markets, fish markets, meat markets.
 activemelaney
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2015 1:59:36 PM
I can't imagine my guy going into a store without a specific purpose. A box of nails, windshield fluid, a bottle of wine.

The one exception is a big one and great for a date....the thrift, goodwill store (or whatever you call it in your area). A blast! We try on the weirdest hats, ugly shirts, bad taste shoes, etc. Walk by the tacky ornaments and figure out their history (gift to grandma in 1975?). And...drum roll...he might actually buy something spontaneously!

It's like playing dress up for adults. Where else could I get him to put on plaid slacks and a Hawaiian shirt? Also, we sometimes fool around a bit in the dressing groom.

Side note. My fellow usually buys my dresses for me. Our first New Years he went with me and was in absolute agony after 20 minutes. He thought I would just get a dress and not have to visit a half dozen stores. Now I just take his debit card and he gets to stay home. Bottom line...He hates shopping and to be honest I hate him shopping with me. I want to take my time and not thinking that I'm torturing him.
 OtisGreening
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/8/2015 2:02:15 PM
Do you have the slightest clue about straight men OP?

Unless a man specifically told me that he enjoyed shopping, I would not agree to a shopping date.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/8/2015 2:10:40 PM
I have had 2 men take me shopping on a first meet, following the obligatory coffee.

One - we walked around the supermarket. Not particularly exciting.
The other we walked around a market.... that was interesting.
Both their idea.
Neither were planned to be shopping dates.

Oh.. Oh.....
I have asked men to come with me when shopping....
for house, car, boat and mooring spot.
Generally when they have expertise to share and I am picking their brain.
In these instances, I have paid for lunch.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/8/2015 3:34:36 PM
If a guy decides to go with her, remember there is a reason why there are all benches etc outside those places for you to rest & comprehend..... while she strolls down all the isles, and most of the time comes out with nothing.......^^^

But.... when I'm involved with someone romantically.... I can at times go shop for her alone.... & hope she likes what I bought her.....and not always at Victoria Secret either ! ^^^

Do you have the slightest clue about straight men OP?

Yes, being with a woman who knows her man's softer sides too.... cheers
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/8/2015 3:53:35 PM
I have very strong opinions about 'Shopping' and 'Purchasing'.

Taboo-'Purchasing' has a singular purpose. You need to buy from a list or you need to find just one thing. When I'm a woman on a mission, I get in, get out, gette'r done alone.

Fun-'Shopping' is something to do, an activity with no purpose, go to boutique stores, farm markets, flea markets, thrift stores, vintage clothing stores, antique malls, even the big box home stores, the possibilities are endless. Of course somewhere along the line you grab a bite to eat, a cup of coffee, at a quaint little diner or a local bar & grille.

I can go 'shopping' with just about anyone. My GF's, my BF, my daughter, my son, my granddaughters, my aunt and even my brother! LOL, No complaints so far!
 petula1908
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/8/2015 4:39:54 PM
Depends on how hot he finds you whether he would tolerate that kind of meet, but most men are into really into shopping unless it is for food and may feel the pressure to buy you something perhaps??

By the way on a first meet do you allow the guy to buy you dinner or expect it?

Shopping expeditions are best done with girlfriends, why would you take a date? You can shop anytime. Different if you are setting up house together and need his input. Or perhaps if you are buying a car, want his view.
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2015 5:21:33 PM
Yeah, Amex Jenga! How many laptops can you fit on my credit card before you tell me I'm not your type?
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/8/2015 5:27:10 PM

Neither. It would be unpleasant and a waste of time. I'm not acquisitive by nature and try to do as much of my shopping online as possible. I don't think of shopping as recreation; I think of it as a necessary evil.
 OtisGreening
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/8/2015 6:06:42 PM

Yes, being with a woman who knows her man's softer sides too.... cheers

There's a difference between going shopping with your actual boyfriend/husband and taking a man shopping that you are just dating.
 petula1908
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/8/2015 6:26:30 PM
ozsealady

What you describe, walking around the markets, is hardly a shopping date, just an activity after the coffee.
As for walking around a supermarket with a first meet, how boring and how "married couple". lol.
 south_city
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/8/2015 7:30:34 PM
I wouldn't be interested. When I go shopping, I simply buy what I'm looking for and leave. I don't walk around stores for hours casually browsing at various items.

I agree. I would rather shop online anyways. It's more convenient. Sometimes there is larger selection of items and better deals.
 tall_fit
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/8/2015 8:23:10 PM
I like shopping. But not on a date. Unless we randomly passed by a store that we were both interested in.
 jukebox_cowboy
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2015 8:45:06 PM
A shopping date would be fun.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/8/2015 9:09:31 PM
It would depend on where we went. I had a date take me to a Home Depot with him once after we'd met for drinks. I thought he was a major bore.
 Ainen
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/9/2015 5:13:07 AM
It could be fun with the right person going to the appropriate store.

Going to a store can be a good idea in the dead of winter when being outside isn't feasible. A nearby store is a way to extend a first "coffee" meet. If the "coffee" place is within an indoor mall, it makes sense for people to stretch their legs and walk around the mall if they like each other. Though the gals I date aren't the type to visit upscale shoe stores and other typical mall shops.

My first first meet through an online dating site was at a coffee house. Would have been boring to stay there, so we walked up and down the street, window shopping at one interesting retail shop, then she did her shopping at an international market. It was fun seeing unusual items, often with the writing in Arabic and other alphabets that made the items more exotic.

One dead of winter first date was at a big sporting goods retail store that lets customers bring their well-behaved dogs. She brought one of her dogs; good for everyone to verify he'd approve of me. The store has a large aquarium so I had a good time while waiting for her to arrive. We walked all around the store. She made an amusing remark about survivalist items and made references to earlier phone conversations where we joked about "gunloons". She bought a treat for her dogs. We had lunch at a nearby restaurant.

One gal and I were established, seeing each other about once a week. After walking with our dogs at a park, we stopped at a thrift store in the area (it was a cool morning so the pups didn't get hot). We had almost no interaction inside the store, but a thrift store would be an interesting place to go early in the dating process.

In December a planned first meet at a sandwich shop got cancelled, but had it occurred, I was prepared to suggest visiting area stores. My first choice would have been a nearby thrift store. There's an adult store in the area; might have joked about going there in a voice making it obvious I was joking.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/9/2015 5:57:27 AM
I know of a mall that has both a Bed, Bath and Beyond and a Victoria's Secret.

Double Win!

I'll spring for the coffee on the way out...
 Ouija2025
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/9/2015 6:08:08 AM
I like to do a mall Crawl. And I'd think score - he's boring as lint but I can window shop.
Clooney - ever wondered what the " beyond" is? A portal to Hell?
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/9/2015 6:11:19 AM
^^^
Unicorns, rainbows and marital bliss for sure.
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/9/2015 7:13:44 AM
I've watched enough "What Not to Wear" to find that fun -but you might get offended when I throw your current wardrobe away.

I rarely apply the advice on the show to myself -so a "make each other over" date could be fun, too.

Hmmmm -that really does sound fun
 Dee4166
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2015 9:27:38 AM
No THANKS!!!

I HATE shopping with a white hot PASSION, myself....although a flea market or antique store is not the same animal imo....

@AHH....Now THAT might actually intrigue me for the simple reason that I have a difficult time knowing what looks good on me, but am VERY good at picking out men's clothes....
In fact my brother always says that I have excellent taste, as have many of my b/f's.... ;)
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/9/2015 10:18:06 AM
Hey Ainen, I'm glad to see a like minded/outside the box, "shopper-dater".

Going to a store can be a good idea in the dead of winter when being outside isn't feasible.

The possibilities of stores, variety of things to see, various items to spark a conversation are endless.

When one is in a relationship, imagine the possibilities, when strolling thru a grocery store in search of the perfect food /perfect dessert/chocolate, to indulge in, before, DURING and after, sexual pleasure.
(Banana cream pie!) Mmm, Mmmm

The purpose of shopping with a date is not, looking for what one NEEDS to buy or purchase.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2015 1:22:35 PM

As for walking around a supermarket with a first meet, how boring and how "married couple". lol.

i did a first meet once in a quirky market. she was shopping for groceries for a barbecue she was gonna throw the next day. the store had imported decor items and knickknacks and weird stuff that made great conversation pieces. she wanted advice on craft beer for the party so we talked about that. we hit it off so well we ended up going for drinks afterward.

it's all about the company, not the venue. if two people feel chemistry, any shared activity is going to be fun.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >