Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > How old is too old for me? Im not a cub looking for a Cougar..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 siestabeachlover
Msg: 26
How old is too old for me? Im not a cub looking for a Cougar..Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Don't expect others to guess what you want. If you have an age limit, certain look or what ever, just state that. Anything else is imature.
 Sweetheartedness
Msg: 27
How old is too old for me? Im not a cub looking for a Cougar..
Posted: 1/4/2013 6:18:43 PM
I am happy to date any woman with standards low enough to date me.

Captain, this made me laugh...thanks. I think that is more the norm than not......
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/5/2013 5:36:45 AM
3-5 yrs. in either direction is the norm..but do what makes u happy.
 rob4320
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/13/2013 8:07:56 AM
I have no age limits as long as they are legal.
But I have found that I prefer older woman. (more compatable)
 dennigrain
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/13/2013 3:08:19 PM
age difference is critical only if there is a thought of long term. for example, dating someone 10 to fifteen years younger or older can have some divisive effects when certain ages are reached. for example, know a female who married a man 16 years older. she is an active healthy 65 year old now taking care of, day in and out, of an 81 year old who is unable to do much. for me, when i think of someone older or younger than myself, i simply move our ages together up or down the scale until i find it uncomfortable. if it is only dating then again do the age scaling exercise. :) if it is sex only then would appear much greater age range difference. for either gender. but, even in this, if it is known, generally, that young people know not much about relationships possibly could extend that to any physical activity. although, for some, regardless of age, it appears their sexual knowledge extends to simply being there. yes, that may be worth some laughter. :D

"so now that you've graduated from university what next? well, i have to go to my girlfriends high school grad and then go from there i suppose." crickets...
 venusenvy777
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/13/2013 3:13:02 PM
I like men my age or older so for me, I wouldnt date more than maybe 5 yrs younger. Its a personal preference mind you, and peeps should date who they are comfortable with. As for the "Cougar" thang I think it was a sad trend thats kinda had its day.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/13/2013 8:27:47 PM
+/- 9 years is a good rule of thumb...keeps you in the same decade at least. Go too young, they still have small children/want babies...go to old and it is Senior Menu night at Denny's.

I once dated a man 9 years younger and no one thought we looked "mismatched" age wise, My ex-fiance was 5 years younger and my last beau was 5 years older...same thing....so as long as you and she are okay with it, go for it.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/13/2013 10:12:58 PM

Dude, forget the older ones, they are all bitter and have chips on their shoulders. Ones in their 20's and 30's are for the most part much more pleasant

I have heard this is only true when you are paying them by the hour.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:41:33 AM
I had a guy who was 45 ask me if I would date a younger guy. I am 49. I never laughed so hard. I told him he was probably too old for me since guys fade much younger then women.

Your age preference is your age preference.

I see 5 years either way as the same age. 10 years is not a big deal. Anything more then that gives people something to talk about, but in reality it is not their business.

Yes I laugh at Hugh with the young chick and make jokes. He can barely walk without holding on to something. I just want to know who gets all his money when he moves on?

I used to date my age to older. Now I like younger guys. The ones my age are extremely bitter from divorce and don't seem interested in anything more then buying toys and playing with them. Most seem to look a whole lot older then their stated age too.
 c_deacon
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2013 11:45:50 AM
Makes no difference to me about their age, just how they are put together, and if I am attracted to them!

Once all of that is established, we see if there is mutual attraction, mutual chemistry, and the cliff hanger.....compatibility!! If all those things exist, it is a go and I do not see age as a part of that equation, unless they are looking for someone to give them babies and then I suggest that they find a younger man to enjoy that way!!

cd
 IBTHEBEDAZZLER1
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/14/2013 4:40:31 PM
honey........ at our age we can do what we want!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just have fun. if something happens .....enjoy.
i am 64 and i am enjoying my life. had a date with a 41 yr old last nite. we had a grt time. DO NOT tie ur self dwn to a certain age group. now.... if u want children.... well that is different. if u want fun, companionship, and someone who can keep up with u..... well don't knock "us " out of ur "fishing " pool
have a fabulous time
 ZusiQue
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/15/2013 5:02:44 AM
My mother always said 7 years either way, 7 years older or 7 years younger is ok.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2013 6:47:28 AM
We all have our filters, and it's nobody else's business what they are. Although some general assumptions generally apply, you're dating a person, not a category, and an exception to the rule could well be an exceptional person and date.

I've dated younger, older, same age. I put more emphasis on interest in the outdoors and fit enough to enjoy the same outdoor activities I do, but that's just me. That shrinks the pool of older prospects, but doesn't eliminate it. I'm 54, and have a 64 year old cousin who runs ultra marathons. Were she not kin she'd be an ideal prospect. The woman I'm seeing now is 48 and our first two dates were long hikes.

All I'd suggest is figure out what qualities are important to you and choose accordingly. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone else, and you don't need us to tell you what should matter to you. Know yourself, trust yourself.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/15/2013 7:50:07 AM

All I'd suggest is figure out what qualities are important to you and choose accordingly. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone else, and you don't need us to tell you what should matter to you. Know yourself, trust yourself.

I think that just about sums it up. Some very sage advice OP

I've dated younger (10 years & 13 years) but at the time, I was also younger. But now, I find that I am more comfortable with someone closer to my own age. Besides....I cringe at the thought of being labelled a cougar...hehe

...mae
 SweetHeartedLady
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/15/2013 9:56:03 AM
You are so fit and handsome that maybe she thinks that you'll want to really date younger than yourself?

I know when younger men ask me out (4-6 years younger) and they are smoking hot I will not meet them. I know they could date someone 5 years younger than themselves which would be 10 years younger than me. I just do not feel comfortable. (unless he looks older for his age and not as handsome as you).

I guess I lack confidence.. :) ... but I'm seen it too many times.. women friends dating younger men and not being treated properly (younger by 5-9 years).... it is like the man thinks he can treat her less special and more about game playing.

I guess just my past experiences (not my own but friends).. that I would not risk it.

Whatever feels right for you..

Peace and Joy.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/15/2013 10:07:36 AM
I wouldn't pay attention to one response about you possibly being to young for her. You're simply to young for HER.
My SO is 5 years younger than me and we get along well- same activity level, interests, life experiences, raised in the same time frame etc. When I was dating I dated within 5 years of my age for the most part- and def when seeking a relationship. I think 32 is too young, but I'm not you. I would have an age range of 5 years either way.
 MS.Venus
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/15/2013 5:17:27 PM
Everyone has preferences they like when it comes to dating. Some women like older guys, some like them younger. I am one who prefers them younger.
I think your a good looking guy and don't sell yourself short b/c of one reply. It will happen, I have faith it will! For both of us one day!! Smile and don't sweat the small stuff.
Terri
 rob4320
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/16/2013 6:44:11 AM
Age is in the mind.
I dated a woman 20 years younger but found we had nothing in common.
I dated a woman 20 years older and had the best time ever.
As long as your both on the same maturity level age should not be an issue.
 ForumFiona
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/16/2013 12:54:38 PM

My mother always said 7 years either way, 7 years older or 7 years younger is ok.

Not saying your mother is wrong but she missed a step...
The actual calculation is take your age, divide by 1/2, then add 7 years. The number you get is the minimum age in which someone could date and not look like they are trying to rob the cradle.
My apologies in advance where I came up with that formula, probably my mother as well....
 SpecialCombination
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/16/2013 2:21:57 PM
Would she be married to him if he wasn't rich?
 cbrenda
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/16/2013 4:55:00 PM
Gee might be because he is a Bazillionaire. just a thought
 lightbrown99
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/17/2013 2:14:18 AM
32 seems to be a mature age so why not:-)
 rob4320
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/27/2013 6:47:05 AM
As long as they are happy together, what differance should the age make.
 natgoat227
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 12:54:30 PM
I don't put ANY restrictions on 'AGE'....
(Well, Okay....Half my age is pushing it a bit, but if The Chemistry is there...I'm game!)
There ARE some Ladies, here...in my own age-bracket / older...)
that have my mouth hanging open and my eyes Bugging-out,
but a majority of them have already Filtered-me Out...One way or another!
A Pity, too!!! . . But then again...I consider it...
_Their_ Loss!!
Not ALL The Good Ones Are Taken!!!
 MissCowboyBoots
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 3:57:20 AM
Extremely well said...
Need I say more...thank you for your wisdom!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > How old is too old for me? Im not a cub looking for a Cougar..