Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > How old is too old for me? Im not a cub looking for a Cougar..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OC28AV99
Msg: 69
How old is too old for me? Im not a cub looking for a Cougar..Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I say that if the 2 of you are compatible, then age really is just a number. How often do we find people that we really really like, are attracted to, make us laugh, and feel good about ourselves? I say hold on to them if they do, and just don't mention age to anyone else, it's none of their bees wax anyway. :)
 natgoat227
Msg: 70
view profile
History
How old is too old for me? Im not a cub looking for a Cougar..
Posted: 2/21/2013 11:37:29 AM
Chemistry is _Everything_...
Age has Very little to do with it !!
 sherill12
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 8:06:01 PM
I think you should go for what you like, just because one woman isn't into younger men, doesn't mean there isn't one out there for you.
 One_hipcat
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/9/2014 11:00:32 AM
The way i see it, age is just a number. As long as that number is over 21..lol
 dinno76
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/31/2014 2:12:21 PM
Ten years either way is good. More than that usually doesn't work in the long term.
 petula1908
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/31/2014 4:42:59 PM
6 years older only and she says too young?? That is rather strange and I think just an excuse perhaps as she is not interested in you. Some men are mature at 45 and some are still boys. It depends on the individuals involved. It is up to you to put whatever settings you want, you don't need the permission of strangers in the forum.
I met a guy who was 18 years younger and he felt it was fine but I didn't.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/31/2014 5:29:56 PM
I'd pick 5+/- years, but so many people lie about their ages etc. who know who u will meet...

45 vs 51 is hardly a cub looking for a cougar IMO

But don't meet anyone u r not into

I think men should email who tickles their fancy & she can say yes or no...
 1OdDmAnOuT2
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/2/2015 3:05:43 AM

So I will be turning 45 next month so I decided to post here. A women who is 51 responded back to my message and said that I might be too young for her? I am curious what age group I should be messaging? Currently my email settings are set to 32 and older. Is this ok?

Lucky...13 , 49 years old is way too old for you. 51 is ancient.
Women mostly prefer older men.
Set your email settings to one year younger than yourself.
 ajp3
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2015 10:32:56 AM
I'm 43. I tend to go for guys 30-45.

Due to childhood issues, I don't go out with guys that are older than me. If they are 55 and look 45, I'm ok. If they're 45 and look 60/70 I freak out.

My exhusband is 6 yrs older than me, but he didn't have the stamina to keep up with me either!
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/2/2015 12:08:44 PM
I've dated guys as much as 20 years younger than me. One of them was 23 when we met, I was 42, and we totally fell for each other. Ended because he still had oats to sow but expected me to stay chaste and not talk to other guys, lol. If he matured up and came back, I'd snag him this time. But I doubt that will happen. Go for the person you're into and who makes your heart sing, don't worry about the age.

And no, most women do NOT prefer older men. I refuse to even talk to guys whose age parameters are set to only younger than their own age. Plenty of those on Match, delusional mid-50s average guys who want women 25-45. I just laugh when they message me and delete their message unread. I'd rather hang with the more open-minded younger or same age crowd. The guy I'm seeing tonight is 34, the guy I'm going out to dinner with tomorrow is 47. I'm all over the place with age as long as the guy looks healthy and in shape and is not a creep only looking to date way younger than himself.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2015 2:07:47 PM
Intellectually, I like men in my age range or a little older. Unfortunately, most of them seem to act and look years older than 61. But I'm not into younger, younger men, either.
 Rythmn
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:05:52 PM
A young kid once approached me at a dance event looking for a cougar. What he got was a lecture on his college application to further his career, a motherly discussion on safe sex and some advice on his loss of a recent love! The venue appeared to be loaded with cougars. It was a new concept to me at that time. Yet, what do they call the old men going after young women? Lions?

Yes, many want younger mates. Many lie about their ages. You need to figure out what age range you are comfortable with and what things you would have in common. Go from there and don't apologize. For me, I used to say plus or minus five. I do admit, that most of the men older than me at this age are on a different wavelength, but I try to remain open. My past relationships were all 4-6 years younger and I was comfortable with that. My first husband, way back, was five years old and remarried a woman ten years younger than he. She is not happy now.

What are you comfortable with and if you find a mate, how will you address age differences into your future? I have two friends who married men over 20 years older than they were at the time, in their 20's. They both are now caring for two very sick people. These are all things to consider, unless you just want to date and "frolic" for the time being. I know a lot of women where I live in their forties who are dying to find men closer to their own age. Seems a lot of them are already married and taken, or so I am told. So they are dating men in their 50's and sometimes 60's and in private they say that they are not particularly thrilled. This is not everyone, but just the general dating scene. There are those who find each other working on common causes, etc. They meet and marry, even with age differences. But, they do have to address the future realistically. For these people, love conquers all. But, they were not searching for it on a dating site. It just happened in the course of daily living.
 Rythmn
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:07:57 PM
ahem, i meant five years older not five years old! mercy on my soul:)
 petula1908
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:30:45 PM
anita lay

You are right and I dont imagine HH is married to her for her stimulating conversation or prodigious intelligence. He can get that from his friends, at least the ones who still have their marbles. lol!
 petula1908
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:42:17 PM
Men in their fifties, early sixties retired to rocking chair? Not the ones I know. But I agree that anything bigger than a 15 year age gap is usually not going to work, for long, if it is the women who is older. There are exceptions but for me, I wouldn't bother. Tried it.
 Like2dance
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:49:07 PM
Let's see...the OP was 45 two years ago. For his age at that time he would be best off dating 30 to 35 year olds.

As he gets older he will be able to comfortably go relatively younger to his age.
 petula1908
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:49:39 PM
Trustinkarma

As you have advertised all your financial assets on your profile, which I would never do, let's hope the guys are not looking for the purse as well as the pvssy.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/13/2015 9:42:18 PM
petula, I'm pretty capable of filtering out these guys, in fact, I've never encountered a single guy that tried to leech off me, even after they found out that I'm doing rather well. The reason I point out that I'm financially stable (not saying I'm a millionaire anywhere in my profile) is that many men are worried about single mothers looking for a wallet to pay for her. I also wanted to make it clear to men looking at my profile that even though I'm a single mother, I do have time to date and don't have to work three jobs to make ends meet. That is the only reason I point out my financial status, which btw was suggested to me by a male family member who also dates online and who told me that many men shy away from single mothers because of their financial situation.
 ladyc4
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/14/2015 4:06:22 PM

Yet, what do they call the old men going after young women? Lions?

Foolish? Dreamers?
good point to anyone considering dating someone over 1o years older, if you are looking for longterm committment you should ask yourself if you are prepared to take care of him or her, or to bury him or her?
I know that life offers no guarantees and often tosses out the odd ironic twist, but it does bear thinking about.
If you are just dating as a social activity, then I'd say whatever you want as long as it's legal.
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > How old is too old for me? Im not a cub looking for a Cougar..