Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can 2 people truly fall in love in a long distance relationship?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HoperealHeart
Msg: 1
Can 2 people truly fall in love in a long distance relationship?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Can this happen, over a course of several months, withou t actually meeting in person, with only picture exchanges, phone conversations and texts? Or is it just a fantasy until physically meeting one another face to face?
 tsooybkk
Msg: 2
Can 2 people truly fall in love in a long distance relationship?
Posted: 1/6/2013 3:29:14 AM
yes is possible..
but this time have so many chatting can make you both more closer.. like skype :) face to face better than mobile..
Good luck ^_^
 domainfullduplex100
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2013 5:39:59 AM
yes because most of the ideas about each other are very idealic, fantasies and pure human imagination. Yes...very easy to fall...then you meet and she wants you to shave your man hairs...you don't like her snoring, she hates yours...or is a noisy eater and it bugs you to no end lol.

Then you will know if it is real love or the above.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/6/2013 8:54:12 AM
I' d be careful.
There is always the exception to the rule ... but most of the time the odds are against you.
 curlygrl
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/6/2013 12:02:29 PM
No. Not a fantasy but it doesn't happen for everyone.

People will dispute it. Its up to you to figure out if its real or not.

And yes, from my experience it happens.

Together off and on for six years. Currently live together.

Hardest thing to go through though. Make sure you have
A strong stomach.
 grove_22
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/6/2013 4:44:12 PM
Maybe for some people. But not for me. I'm not interested in dating someone that I would rarely see due to distance, job schedule etc. However if we were dating for a while and one of us had to temporarily locate, then that's different. Since a relationship has been established at that point.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/7/2013 3:45:52 AM
Of course they can!...Well, if the guy has a 100,000 foot member...
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/7/2013 11:18:39 AM
It's an e-fatuation.
mostly a newbie thing.

Keeps you from the real thing.
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/7/2013 10:21:29 PM

Im sorry but I cant see how two people can fall in love without meeting, touching, kissing,exploring each other, spending time together etc, every thing else is just fantasy.

that is a more realistic statement,

apparently people here defined "truly fall in love" differently
 packagedealx3
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 11:37:51 AM
Back in the day even if people lived in the same town, courting was often accomplished through letters. Sure, many of those relationships either tanked or were the basis for bad marriages but I'm pretty sure arranged marriages would have fallen away as a social convention earlier if nearly all relationships begun on paper were shit.

Anything is possible...but name one couple that you personally know that has done this....and if the couple ever does get to live together...it might be a tough time as a long term since they would not have had that burden to deal with while just chatting.

I know of at least half a dozen people here or that I've otherwise met who got to know their spouses online and are still in successful relationships. Pre Internet days also a friend's sister found her husband this way, still happily married 30 years later. They were army brats. One of the men she had met in high school wherever they were stationed tracked her down and they began corresponding, I'm sure there were phone calls when possible but he was also military and I'm not sure how long they would go with no contact but the U.S. mail.

I don't think the question is the possibility of falling in love as much as it is conjecture as to whether a long-term real world relationship would work. And that's a crap shoot even if you have years of compatibility and happiness real world, I've seen people do a Jekyll and Hyde thing after the wedding. I think if you're in this situation, see what happens, eventually schedule a meeting and if the love winds up only friendship I suspect you'd be a lucky individual.
 4ms4me
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 4:13:20 PM

...but name one couple that you personally know that has done this....and if the couple ever does get to live together

My sister, met her husband online, they corresponded for nine months, she went to Egypt to meet him, they got married and they've been together 7 years.

My girlfriend K; met C online, they lived about 600 miles apart, but they corresponded over several weeks, met, and a few months later she moved in with him. They've been together for about 14 years.

T, met S online; went from California to NY to visit, never went home, they've been together almost 20 years.

I know others, so it can happen. However, I know a lot more for whom it DIDN'T happen so I'd say it's more usual that falling-in-love online doesn't translate to falling-in-love in person.

Good luck, OP.
 honeycognac
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/10/2013 7:46:48 PM
It can feel very intense, intimate and real. But we create our own reality, especially in situations like that.
I've been more transparent and shared more with online lovers than with my ex-husband. You can feel that you're on the same magical wavelength and it can draw you in. I'm a trusting idealistic soul.
But all my experiences have, in the long run, ended in tears, and after this last one, I am saying "never again".
My only piece of advice is to meet soon and meet often and have realistic plans in place for one party to move to be with the other.
 LivvyH.
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2013 4:13:39 PM
I believe they can, it is extremely difficult but I think that it can be done.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can 2 people truly fall in love in a long distance relationship?