Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Maybe some of us are just meant to be single?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KeepinItEasyBreezy
Msg: 61
Maybe some of us are just meant to be single?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
You have to be a happy single to be happy in a couple. Enjoy your life. Keep looking. That's part of the fun. I enjoy being single, I enjoy being in a relationship, and I enjoy being married...any one of them can be great. Come what may.
 makavali7dayz3
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Maybe some of us are just meant to be single?
Posted: 1/15/2013 1:23:29 PM
+1 on the poster above. Unless you love yourself you can't love another person. I feel like people get a special vibe off people who love and accept themselves and they are much more sucessful in meeting people.
 LivvyH.
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2013 2:52:00 PM
I sure hope not! I do admit from people observing through the years with old friends and family that some people are alone not by choice but life circumstances seems to choose them rather than they choose life circumstance. Especially with love.
 venusenvy777
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/15/2013 3:17:15 PM
To me, my life is like a deep, delicious, beautiful cake. If I meet my "forever" man then that would be the most wonderful, scrumptious icing on my cake. However, if I dont, Im still going to enjoy the hell out of my cake! I dont want to spend my life complaining about what I dont have, Id rather enjoy all the wonderful things I do have...Single or not!
 Jerilyn
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/15/2013 3:28:52 PM
In some ways, yes, I think so. A lot of people have that lone wolf personality. They would never in a million years mesh well with another person for any significant amount of time.

There is no one thing that everyone on the planet is going to be suited for... relationships are no exception.
 Your_Move
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2013 8:36:25 AM

A lot of people have that lone wolf personality. They would never in a million years mesh well with another person for any significant amount of time.

Now THAT is interesting to me -- 'cause I tend to be like that. I wonder - can two lone wolves maintain a relationship long term, if they build in "proper space"? I *think* so, (or is it that I'd LIKE to think so?) but - past experience doesn't support my thought ;) What do you think about it all?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/16/2013 5:45:30 PM

Now THAT is interesting to me -- 'cause I tend to be like that. I wonder - can two lone wolves maintain a relationship long term, if they build in "proper space"? I *think* so, (or is it that I'd LIKE to think so?) but - past experience doesn't support my thought ;) What do you think about it all?

Being the same way, I - as a lone wolf - never cared enough about this to try to figure it out, unless I was with someone I wanted to continue with and realized it conflicted to some degree when I was with someone who wasn't. I say yes - if you are both lone wolves, space will automatically be created as both are on the same page about needing it preserved. Can they live together? Different story - first do they want to? Likely not - if they do then maybe if they lived next door, a block away, in the same place but it would have to be a big place?
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2013 9:13:15 PM

Is it bad that I am beginning to accept the fact that "couple-dom" is not meant for everyone?

No, it's not bad. What people do is their own business and responsibility. No one can decide what's good for someone else.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/16/2013 9:58:13 PM
I believe the question the OP posted holds true for some of us. If you have been single for the majority of your life, there are certain circumstances that have created that, and also shaped your personality as well that would encourage this. I think I was trying to fight this for too long, but now, it's more like I've accepted this, that I'm one of those people not destined to be in a couple. Maybe it's the cynicism of actively dating for so many years, but being in a relationship isn't the greatest thing, necessarily. It'd be nice to find someone, but at this point, I'm not going to be unhappy and not enjoy my life if I don't have that person.
 CKris4real
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/16/2013 10:38:59 PM
I have to agree too; I have been single for 23 years, with lots of fun intervals of couple-hood along the way, but only once thought that maybe I had found "the one" didn't work out and I take the responsibility for that, single to long perhaps. I am beginning to believe that I am one of those who will always be single, sometimes I'm content with that notion and at other times I am not. I'm here because I am open, but like most of us I think. It's gonna take a miracle to find "the one." Either way we get to decide what to do with ourselves in the meantime...
 bellydancinggirl
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2013 9:26:24 AM
OP and SC67,

I have to agree with you ladies. I do get the feeling that I am destined to be alone. I don;t say that for pity or for someone to respond that someday I'll find someone blah, blah, blah. I also am choosy and picky, whether I have the right to be or not, I am. I know what I am looking for and have tried to settle in the past and it didn't work.
I am happy with my life and I stay very busy. I do casually date, but I have found as I get a little older, I do get set a little in my ways and again, thats ok...

This is a different era than when our parents were young and marriage etc was expected, nowadays and especially with the divorce rate being as high as it is( mine being one of them) it might be safer and easier to stay single.
 bellydancinggirl
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2013 9:27:35 AM
well put... You have to love yourself first before anyone else...If you don;t, you will never be open to finding anyone or think you are worthy of love
 bellydancinggirl
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2013 9:29:43 AM
Wow,
I never thought of myself before as a lone wolf since I am very extroverted, but when it comes to dating and/or relationships, I think I am and even with proper space in my last relationship it didn't work. now, I am a different way to think about that
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/18/2013 3:20:36 PM
Just to save the poor wolves... Wolves are pack animals not realy loners...
How about saying .... You are a loner skunk... Hey skunks live a solitary life, Unless they want baby skunks lol .... Just saying.
Now back to everyone regular thread of its a horible life out there...
 spot4username
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/18/2013 3:42:54 PM

Just to save the poor wolves... Wolves are pack animals not realy loners...
How about saying .... You are a loner skunk... Hey skunks live a solitary life, Unless they want baby skunks lol .... Just saying.

That's the whole point. Since they are pack animals when one chooses to leave the pack or is not alpha enough to be in the pack they are referred to as "lone". That is why there is actually a terminology for not being in the pack. Just saying...
 checkinguoutnow
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/18/2013 7:18:23 PM
Hi Abbey,

I totally relate to you. Being over 50 myself, I have finally gotten to a point where I do love being by myself and not having someone there who might tell me what I should be doing. At the same time, because all I do is work and go to school FT, I decided to get on here to see if I would meet someone to have some fun with. It's always fun in the beginning stages of a relationship when you get the butterflies and don't know where it will lead! I've made it clear that I want to be friends first because I don't want to get emotionally involved with someone who isn't going to be around. Been there, done that too many times! I can't imagine being able to assimilate to anyone else's personality in my house unless they were totally open to me "doin my things"....playing with my cats, drinking and smoking if I feel like it, and playing on the computer. I'm sure it's the same for them....if we all find our perfect mate who we can enjoy being together and apart when needed, it's a match made in heaven!

Sherri
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 77
Posted: 1/19/2013 7:49:13 AM
You need to start doing research on where the type of men you like reside and start learning how best to attract them. You are doomed if you don't do that.
 Pragmatous78
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:50:30 PM

I'm curious, OP. Who or what is it, do you suppose, that "intends" such things for us?

Einsteins theory of general relativity of course :) - What I mean is freewill and control is an illusion and that everything that was, has, or will ever be was pre-defined since the big bang. It hints at the idea of a simulation :) perhaps it replays over and over. /EndNerdLesson
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Maybe some of us are just meant to be single?