Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > who remembers Roller Skating and Roller Discos      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 heres...johny
Msg: 3
who remembers Roller Skating and Roller DiscosPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Marina1111 - whooops!!!
I hope it was a nice looking gentleman that helped you to a seat and got you some assistance??

I'm not convinced though, I'm pretty sure if you can put your slight mishap behind you, you'll be able to enjoy the fun and frolics that is roller skating. Agreed that if it was the inline skates, they are a nightmare to learn on.

If you like your rock, you should check out the 'roller derby' scene - its a predominately women only contact roller sport. They do lessons all over the place and you probably won't find a more awesome set of people.

....so until you get your skates on
Rock n' Roll On (sorry, could resist! )
 heres...johny
Msg: 4
who remembers Roller Skating and Roller Discos
Posted: 1/12/2013 6:04:36 AM
Ahhhhh! The beloved strap-on's (skates! that is)

Those bad boys have given me untold terror! i was skating with them once and when going round the corner the leather tube like laces simply snapped and needless to say how far flying I went...... (don't laugh)

and don't get me started on the wheels! LOL!
 Trevork52
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2013 7:14:16 AM
Seems a common response! Went once, rolling along gingerly when I got bowled over by a big buxom blonde, yes truly, and broke my arm! Never went back.

Trevor
 Lorri55
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2013 7:19:45 AM
Meeeeeeeeeeee......as a kid I was not allowed a bike as mum and dad considered it too dangerous!!

I lived on my roller skates ( mine had ball-bearings in them???) but the damage I did to myself I would have been safer on a bike.

I never ever did learn to ride a bike believe it or not :-(
 heres...johny
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/12/2013 10:40:35 AM
going to a new roller disco event on Jan 26th in Luton called RollBack Skating, i used to go to one in harrow with a huge hall. I'm gonna be on the dance floor (skate rink) tryna do ma' moves. I think I've got the 'electric slide' pat down and can't wait to see if I'll be able to pick up some new tricks when i'm there.

sometimes when I go to the discos, its like scenes out of a movie - with different skate groups in different areas practising their moves. I'm waiting for them to take on each other like in the film Roll Bounce, but it never happens.

All good fun.....
 fleursky
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2013 12:37:27 PM
Blimey that takes me back!! I used to love the old roller discos, me & my sister showing off in front of the school boys lol!

I went to a roller rink a couple of years ago & put on the first pair of 4 wheeled skates in over twenty years and struggled to stand up in the damned things :S was lots of fun though.

I love inline skates, not had a go for ages, reading this thread has made me want to get some :)
 try1more
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2013 5:10:47 PM
crystaltips:
a couple of years ago i got a pair of in lines off freecycle. after a couple of goes i found i could skate in them without doing anything up just pull em on and off i went, they were salomon st ten's, quite pricey when new and it seems to make a difference.

for those that remember the metal skates with the horrendous straps, where the toepiece would fall off leaving the skate hanging by the strap round your ankle (and you spread eagled on the pavement) they were called jacko skates or at least mine were.
i used to go scavenging at a local tip where i found a pair of womens ice skates, ya know long white boots half way up your leg?
they were a good fit as i was a kid, well i took the ice skate blades off, hammered the jacko skates flat on the top and screwed them to the bottom of the boots in place of the blades. they were great from that point on, tieing a rope round the seat post of a mates pushbike and getting towed around like water skiing was much safer and great fun :-)
until you hit gravel that is :-(
 heres...johny
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/13/2013 2:21:26 AM
It's done...

I'm so excited I'm gonna host a roller disco...

The one that I'm going to on Sat 26th is called RollBack Skating. Anyone interested, sign up using my link as I've got a discounted entry price which includes skates....
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15784519.aspx

Speed skating, chariots, etc here I(we) come....!
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/13/2013 2:23:59 AM
The last set of 4 wheeled skates I had was white leather and pink wheels. I miss them so.
 heres...johny
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/15/2013 3:50:14 AM
Hmmm! Obviously not a skater!

Anyway, Ordered some 'Supreme Turbo's', apparently they're like the old Bauer skates - I'll soon find out how good they really are!! Had to order my wheels separately as these bloody things cost an arm & a leg. I went for Simms- they've got the best reviews from the people in the know no-less :-)

My other skates were ok, but I couldn't cross over very well. I once tried to do a power-slide and ended up nearly going through the wall!! Been also doing some stretching as I really want to be able to side-surf, I've seen one guy and a few girls now, doing it as if they walking in the park (jealous-much!)

Ho-hum, more practice I guess....
 heres...johny
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/22/2013 1:42:13 AM
haha @katy, don't knock yourself, I've seen some 'displays' at the one in london! I think you'll be alright!

Skates have arrived and at the ready, but still no wheels yet!!!! This snow is really missing with me *tough voice*, side-surfing is coming along but legs are a little sore from all the stretching to try and get my feet completely straight - now this is probably something I shouldn't be doing at my age ;-)

I've seen some clips online of guys doing some crazeee jumps! over barrels, over people! and summersaulting over a ramp!! that's my aim - am I losing??

Well, just a few more days til the Luton Roller Disco, can't wait! reckon its gonna be maddddd!

Don't be scarrrred, just join us if you wanna roll! Roll on Saturday.
 heres...johny
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/25/2013 12:08:49 PM
okey, dokey!

Remember anyone interested in roller skating, check out link below;
http://www.pof.com/events-view.aspx?threadid=15784519&guid=32386810&sid=03i2xnpdhing3lx00khay05u

wheels still haven't come. Argggh! gonna have to stick with my airwaves ones for now and hers to hoping I only crash twice too! Hey-ho, all in the name of fun and exercise I guess?

Moonwalk on skates here I come.....
 Marmite baby
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 1:53:06 PM
I loved roller skating and discos. As a young teenager a group of us went to a roller disco every week. I've found it more difficult since,but my nephews were a good excuse. We had a games teacher who met us at the Wintergarden skate rink in Yarmouth for games lessons at one point. It was brilliant as we got to do grades, got to grade 3.
I loved the music and the speed. We would form a line from centre outwards (till it was stopped). My only real accident was being on the outside end of such line and being thrown off. Major buzz though.
 ellymyosotis
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2013 10:26:49 AM
I could roller skate never got the ice thing though.

I bought a pair of inlines when 30. That was one of the things on my bucket lists then.. that and learning to ride a bike.

Think I got both and went on with the inlines to be able to dance but haven't picked u a pair for 10 years. Can stil ride a bike!:-)
 ellymyosotis
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2013 10:28:15 AM
I could roller skate never got the ice thing though.

I bought a pair of inlines when 30. That was one of the things on my bucket lists then.. that and learning to ride a bike.

Think I got both and went on with the inlines to be able to dance but haven't picked u a pair for 10 years. Can still ride a bike!:-)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > who remembers Roller Skating and Roller Discos