Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Marriage, do you believe in it, why/not?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DragonBits
Msg: 116
Marriage, do you believe in it, why/not?Page 7 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

Al Pacino, Sheryl Crow, Oprah Winfrey, Ludwig van Beethoven, Diane Keaton, The Wright Brothers, Condoleezza Rice, Cameron Diaz , George Clooney ,Bill Maher, Coco Chanel, Queen Elizabeth I, Joan of Arc , Adolf Hitler, Thomas Jefferson, Sir Isaac Newton, Jesus Christ .

Interesting list. Some of these people were abused as children, but some weren't.

I guess you didn't know Adolf Hitler got married just before he died. I guess he was a regular guy just like Jesus Christ. BTW, you forgot Mother Teresa.

Thoman Hefferson was married and had children, I am not sure why you had him on your list. George Clooney and Oprah Winfrey are engaged and say they are about to get married, but it's not over till the fat lady sings. So maybe they may well call it off.

I did see some of people on a list where they noted , 40+ people famous people who never got married. But they created this list because it is rare.
 hemingway114
Msg: 117
Marriage, do you believe in it, why/not?
Posted: 10/20/2014 1:14:47 PM
Marriage promotes monogamy. Monogamy reduces the chance of std's, broken homes, ESPECIALLY KIDS LIVING IN BROKEN HOLMES, unplanned pregnancy, and heartache. Marriage has it's pitfalls... nothing is perfect. But it is a better way (particularity for the little children of the world).
 B3ll0na
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/6/2018 8:00:34 AM
Divorce rates and the fact that people just dont take it serious no more.

Id rather spend 10k on a car then a wedding :D
 feirene
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2018 2:18:22 PM
marriage is a legal contract that gives you rights, as well as takes them away because you're now obliged to the other person in that contract. that's all it is, like you say you can have al the other stuff without one.

never wanted to get married personally, don't feel a need to legally tie myself to someone else.
 Inicia
Msg: 120
Posted: 2/23/2018 1:13:56 PM
belief??? Marriage exists.. end of story- for my choice no!! but indeed it does exist LOL: maybe you are really asking if we believe in LOVE??? that indeed we could believe or disbelieve? I can touch a marriage contract, apply for the license-go to court to get my legal sanctioned benefits-but love that is debatable...
 reason782
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/24/2018 7:02:55 PM
marriage can be a form of empowerment in terms of status married, but it also comes with its negative status divorced.

marriage is the celebration of a union of two people who are then to procreate, that is a celebration of union and creation. the celebration includes more than two people, and the creation adds 1.
 Inicia
Msg: 122
Posted: 5/16/2018 8:49:17 PM
so a sterile person man or women/or coupling should cannot claim status of empowerment or divorce Or are you indicating that when two humans bond in union it becomes a creation upon itself? so one and another + created union of love-therefore they procreate love
Not Married but together and Happy both successful and have several children
http://buzz.auntyacid.com/34-years-together-goldie-hawn-kurt-russell-share-life-changing-news/
 aremeself
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2018 10:40:03 PM
Yeah, let's come up with our own way of doing things, I mean, thats got a good past record!!!
 lnitia
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2018 9:01:59 PM
The link i showed earlier Goldie Hawn /Kurt Russell clearly it does work for many "our way" is the legal marriage- the union of male and female is blessed indeed but for operating humanely as humanity-sharing male/female to further/sustain not drain and strain
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2018 8:03:24 PM
Yes. I believe in marriage.

If you love someone you should be willing to put everything on the line.
 lnitia
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 6:36:03 AM
Million reasons^^ If you love than YOU should!!" ^^ The rest need do what resonates with us-some believe in signing on the dotted line others do not.. Marriage actually is loving with legal limits and protections-which sometimes unsanctioned LTRs are less protective and/or restrictive
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 9:41:22 AM
I believe in marriage as it was once intended, not so much in todays society. "til death do us part" is what it meant at one time, now, it is more like a rental agreement. my parants and grandparents will always be that, my kids will always be my kids but a partner can leave or be left so easily today that marriage has no value anymore (except in divorce court$$)
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 3:23:49 PM
Msg: 138
Initia:

"If you love than YOU should!!"

My response to that ^ is: Okay.

I thought it was obvious from the topic question that individual opinions' were being sought. I would assume some people would agree and some would not. The "why/why not" was a big clue.
 lnitia
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 4:08:33 PM
And an individual opinion is acknowledged with the first person pronoun I.. Utilizing second person pronoun indicative of sweeping assumptions and overall judgements of people(world philosophies), especially in conjunction with the heinous "should"
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 4:30:23 PM
^So as not to offend your sensibilies further...I shall correct my statements.

"Yes. I believe in marriage.

If you love someone you should be willing to put everything on the line."

Yes. I believe in marriage.

It is my belief, if a person loves another, one should be willing to put everything on the line. Again...just my opinion. I recognize that others will have different opinions on how they define and choose to express love. My opinion is neither better nor worse than others. It is simply just mine. I own it.

Does that help? :)
 lnitia
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 5:16:17 PM
Lol still- Just for edification purposes'
here is proper statement
"yes, I believe in marriage,...If I love someone, I am willing to put everything on the line"
I myself have put everything on the line several; times...lost much, learned much and loved much" just no divorces to tow around bragging rights to that fact lol
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 5:21:04 PM
"I myself have put everything on the line several; times..."

For edification purposes'....no can do!

That would be a lie. Do I appear stupid? :D

Edit: Strike that last question. :/
 lnitia
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 7:12:42 PM
No it is not a lie-maybe you are starting to appear that way-i have indeed put everything on the line-unfortunately my partners did not choose me to continue with-i guess had i agreed to marry them- one or two of them might have honored a marriage certificate- and i could have lived in unrequited love until death or had some divorces under my belt. just saying
I guess by the fact that it was my love alone indicates some huge failure of mine so you are probably right-in my partner's eyes clearly i offered just not enough..
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 7:17:22 PM
as much as I would like to comment, I fear it would not be worded properly.
 lnitia
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 8:43:24 PM
lol- indeed- word usage is always important! in the beginning was logos
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2018 6:25:18 PM
Marriage was the only time I've ever entered into a legal, lifetime binding contract based solely on my feelings for another person.

I'd have to say I tried it and can't say I believe in it. It didn't work for me but it has for lots of other people.It's a way of life.

And, I believe in love and think it should proceed any legal contracts.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2018 1:43:58 PM

If you love someone you should be willing to put everything on the line.

So as soon as you fall in love, you should put everything you have on the line? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Especially with people saying they fall in love the moment they met them (which isn't ever correct; it's an insta-crush). You can fall in love with someone, grow apart, and fall out of love. Over long periods of time and not that long period of time. And it's a two-way street -- it only takes one to make it falter.

It's not merely that half of marriages don't work -- it's also that of those that still go on, many are unhappy + many that are somewhat content haven't been in an ideal situation (notably getting married early in life). Advanced society's wising up which is why there's now more single people than married people. Being married in and of itself holds Zero value, and should hold zero value. But too many people are conditioned to believe being married by itself (w/ insert-person-here) has value and still do, thanks to the conditioning of peer-pressure.

Marriage, IMO, for an independent person should be an option, not a life goal. Something based on IFs, and the right things lining up. Kind of like, say, moving to California. Doesn't mean living in Cali in and of itself is a bad thing at all. But doesn't mean one should make it a life goal to move out there when they grow up just because peer-pressure acts that way.

But there are many people, the way they're constructed, who need to be in a serious LTR (that leads to marriage). Where that in and of itself gives them comfort in life and fills a void, as they are emotionally dependent. For them, being in a merely functional Relationship brings Them greater peace & satisfaction in this game of life VS not being in an LTR but having what would be a More fruitful life to others. Where an independent person who has no void to fill when not in an LTR isn't going to find peace & satisfaction in life just Being in a serious relationship. Settling in / moving-in / ring-shopping is going to require More, as that by itself [w/ insert person here] brings no value, and can bring Negative value to them if it's not a Great Great match (comparatively speaking). And getting a solid match becomes comparatively harder when just-being-with-someone doesn't do anything for them. As to them, the focal point is instead on that Someone, not filling some void Being with someone.
 platitude545
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2018 2:14:22 PM
actually...the statistics are 3 in 4 first marriages make it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/heart-the-matter/201704/do-half-all-marriages-really-end-in-divorce

Second of all...marriages are likely to be much more successful if people truly love and respect each other, i.e., got married for the right reasons, and are mature enough to accept that nothing worthwhile is easy in this life so they are willing to work at their marriages. ....
 lnitia
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2018 7:15:47 PM
My belief "it is AS it Is" certainly one need not should on themselves or others? I don't carry a diaper bag, no diaper wipes to clean up someone elses "should"-if you want it keep it for yourself!
 backcreek7
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2018 4:35:39 PM
^^^ Hi Initia ( waves & on - line hugs ) Hope you don't mind, I posted that song Mamaloi ( about Jamaica ) & another by the Doobie Brothers in your name, on my " playlist thread " . Thought since you liked Mamaloi, you would like Toulousee Street as well ! Anyhoo, hope all is well in your world ( heart / sun )

... And as far as marriage is concerned, I think it's the cats meow ( MEOW< PSST ! PSST !! PSST !!! ) < col ( chuckle out loud )

S
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Marriage, do you believe in it, why/not?