Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would you vote for an Atheist president?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Would you vote for an Atheist president?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Let's assume this guy had no criminal record and tons of accreditations for academic and charitable achievements, was good looking, happily married with similar children fallowing in in footsteps and a Second degree black belt in Karate.

And why did you feel the need to put all that in there?

What if you just thought he was 1) qualified and 2) the best candidate for the job?

Of course I would.
Would you vote for an Atheist president?
Posted: 1/26/2013 4:41:54 PM
I would want to know what he thinks "atheist" means, and how he understands the concept. That would make all the difference.
 zunflower
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:28:41 PM
No question. Absolutely.
 Aries_328
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 9:39:42 PM

I would want to know what he thinks "atheist" means, and how he understands the concept. That would make all the difference.

Haha, Although I agree with you... Because it isn't really understood in general, as you have said many times, what are the chances of them being able to explain it properly?

And I really like how you have a 'purity of atheism' component. It's like, "you can't even 'not believe' properly" :)
 KeriLynn09
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/26/2013 9:44:55 PM
If he could do a good job as a president yes I would.
 J_bird61
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/27/2013 8:09:38 PM
Who's he/she running against?
 RussArtLover
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 8:36:13 PM
I can not tell a lie.

The world is flat.
The Day the Earth Stood Still is fiction. (original black and white version 1951)
Legalizing certain drugs would bankrupt the country.
Love is just a chemical reaction.

Hmm. Disqualified again :(
 POFisLOL
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/28/2013 12:25:33 AM
Not more than a religious one. An agnostic one might get more points from me though. Basically, anyone that is 100% convinced in something loses points.

In the end, his program is more important than his religious beliefs.
 DameWrite
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 1:08:30 AM
Do you really believe a president elect would ever admit it? I don't think it's allowed. Yes, allowed.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 12:17:03 PM
Hard to say. He could argue honesty was the best policy but surrounded by emotional realities he might find for the defense, for the sake of the nation. If I were his campaign manager I would have tons of analysts opinions to draw from to decide which way to steer him/her. Unless I made a unilateral decision to support his/her initial plan to incorporate a higher level of oversight or something and be a stand up guy.
Posted: 1/28/2013 3:35:26 PM
This...

Haha, Although I agree with you... Because it isn't really understood in general, as you have said many times, what are the chances of them being able to explain it properly?

And I really like how you have a 'purity of atheism' component. It's like, "you can't even 'not believe' properly" :)

Not more than a religious one. An agnostic one might get more points from me though. Basically, anyone that is 100% convinced in something loses points.

...is why...

Aries_328
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 4:48:36 PM
...is why...

Can you give your 140 character limit of what would be an appropriate sound bite response that would gain/keep/hold your confidence?

Must be twitter length response because that is about all we get in this wonderful world of indepth thought and communication.
Posted: 1/29/2013 1:07:54 AM

Can you give your 140 character limit of what would be an appropriate sound bite response that would gain/keep/hold your confidence?

Must be twitter length response because that is about all we get in this wonderful world of indepth thought and communication.

What in the world are you even talking about now?
 Aries_328
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2013 8:08:39 AM
I thought it was clear. Sorry if it wasn't.

Must be twitter length response because that is about all we get in this wonderful world of indepth thought and communication

I assumed the context of twitter length communication was self evident in todays times but maybe you are not aware of it. It's been a refining trend for many years now

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/01/02/the_incredible_shrinking_sound_bite/

A professor at the University of California had just published research showing that the length of the average TV sound bite had dropped dramatically, from 43 seconds in the 1968 presidential election to a mere nine seconds in the 1988 election. And this drop had led to lots of hand-wringing — from professors, from journalists, and from politicians themselves. “If you couldn’t say it in less than 10 seconds,” Michael Dukakis complained about the previous campaign, “it wasn’t heard because it wasn’t aired.”

I am asking for the words you want to hear them say. What would you like as a response of their understanding. Not asking for a dismissal of context because no candidate exists but for the suspension of disbelief that there IS one and what you want to hear to get your vote of 'confidence'.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/30/2013 4:22:51 PM
Yes, even though I am a firm believer in a Creator, I would most definitely vote for an atheist if that person was the best one for the job.

but i think that most politicians lie anyway...
I vote,
but I wish I didnt bother voting this last time.
not that it would make any difference ever.
 kingdavid2013
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/2/2013 6:09:09 PM
it does not matter who WE vote for , Satans agenda is the only agenda getting pushed thru, in 50 yrs we wont have any fish in the ocean ,rapid climate change i wont even begin to discuss the fallout from. ummm widespread famine , disease , But theres some good news here , all these things must happen before His return! i just hope my 2 yr old isnt here to witness those things ,,,,,
 RussArtLover
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2013 8:58:32 PM
Well if an Atheist got elected the devil would turn in his grave. That's not part of the plan hey?
 kingdavid2013
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/2/2013 10:08:01 PM
G. W . Bush was a christian , He claims to have prayed on invading Iraq and he says God told him to do it , which i believe
 CureCurious
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/2/2013 10:34:44 PM
As a Muslim and I would vote for an atheist provided that s/he was:

Is the best person for the job; best for the people and represents the people the most out of the other options available. If there was a decent Muslim competing, with similar credentials, i'd favour the Muslim... but if the Muslim was just 'muslim by name' or some dodgy character and just used it like an ID card then, i'd go for the atheist.
 Aries_328
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2013 10:56:57 PM
I would rather vote for someone that understood what the Idea of America is and stood up for that. Individuals over the group. Liberty over tyranny and what tyranny is.

We are all looking for the same damn person. A good king. Even if only for 8 years. America realized that this person isn't coming and that is why it was left at a limited term. A limited government that struggles to accomplish things requires the people do it. An efficient government takes over and does it for them. One is not like the other and the end result is not the same.

It doesn't take believing in God to be that person. It takes something even harder and more irrational... believing in people, even though they suck.
 CureCurious
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/2/2013 11:06:22 PM
^ I agree it requires a certain kind of ingredient for a good leader. Being an upright person with a family, decent, intelligent, isn't always enough.

I read something a while back.

Academics make bad leaders.

Some people are better at applyin theory over practice... and some better at applying practice over theory.... and some peoples persona is just more influential and charismatic than others. You need to know how to connect and engage with your people.. speak their language.... speak with the world...
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2013 4:32:23 PM
OMG!.....this is really sad, three pages of people that still believe a president runs our country....nothing short of hopeless!
Posted: 2/3/2013 5:04:03 PM
curecurious:

If all other things were equal and a muslim were running for president, why is it that you would choose the muslim candidate?
 for4rums_loner_here
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/3/2013 6:27:11 PM

George Cluney ran for democratic nominee in his role in the movie. His flagship and most famous speech was delivered to school kids at a university, in which he said, "I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in the Buddha, I don't believe in Allah and that his main prophet was Muhammad. I believe in no god. However, I believe in the Constitution of the United States, and work to uphold it, I am willing to give my life for it if necessary, so that each and every one of you can practice your faith without fear, and that you will always have the right to believe in the God of your own choosing."

We had democratic presidents, we have a black president, next we are going to have woman president who is incidentally also an astronaut, and after that, who knows... maybe a baker, or a madman. A nice kind of mad man, not something like that Satanic George W. Bush was. Maybe we will have a dog... a nice little pooch, who will yelp at bad people, so we know who exactly are America's enemies.

If I had my druthers, i'd have a cat. For president. A domestic short haired cat, a tabby, male, fat, huge, proverbial, one who's seen so many pussssssies that he put even Mick Jagger to shame.
 for4rums_loner_here
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/3/2013 7:34:03 PM
"OMG!.....this is really sad, three pages of people that still believe a president runs our country....nothing short of hopeless!"

Secondhand-Lyin' (haha, sorry, this is a political thread and I could not contain this pun):

I for one know that the president is not running the country. But I know he is the one individual that has the singlemost biggest impact on the running of it of all individual citizens.

Which is independent of the (actually true) fact that I am nothing short of hopeless. I just simply wanted to point out that the two facts are merely coincidental, and not at all causatively connected.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would you vote for an Atheist president?