Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would you vote for an Atheist president?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RussArtLover
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Would you vote for an Atheist president?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Under every garden is a sewer?

"A History of American Law" by: Lawrence M. Friedman gives some pretty good accounts of the sewer. Judges you could buy for a fifth of bourbon. Militia laws which still remain in effect. How did we ever survive?
 Aries_328
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Would you vote for an Atheist president?
Posted: 2/3/2013 10:00:22 PM
Idea of America? You mean a haven for wealthy white land owners who could have slaves (where they were banned in Britain before the US) and have freedom of religion but still deny women the right to vote? That idea? :)

Every time someone waxes nostalgic for our founding fathers I wanna punch em in the mouth.

Then stand up and punch Obama in the face. Also, all the supreme court, all congress and senate and every branch of military. And don't forget to punch your grandparents in the face. I'm sure they are very proud of you. Your awesomeness is just mind boggling. As is your idiocy.
 CureCurious
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/3/2013 11:07:26 PM
drunkthesunwithyourface

-----
all other things were equal and a muslim were running for president, why is it that you would choose the muslim candidate?
--------

Because i always go for the underdog! How could woult it be if America actually had a political party that had islamic tendencies :D
 RussArtLover
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 8:25:23 AM
Maybe He has.

I'd have to look up the verse but it goes something like: "I will come back as a thief in the night"
 for4rums_loner_here
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/4/2013 8:29:40 AM
CureCurious, a Muslim who goes for the most unclean animal according to the tenets, (underdog) ,then I, as a Jew, feel justified to go for the underpig.

Yeehaaaa! Sexual emancipation for the nation at last.

Christains are now liberated to go for the underlogicandreason, and British criminals are finally, finally!! allowed to go Down Under.
 for4rums_loner_here
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/4/2013 8:32:32 AM
If God told Bush to invade Iraq then why doesnt God run for President himself? (BTW: this was priceless.)

Maybe He has.
I'd have to look up the verse but it goes something like: "I will come back as a thief in the night"

There is yet another fitting verse, to cross-reference the point:

"God appeared to Moses in the shape of a burning Bush."

Just cross out "Moses", sub in "Osama Bin Laden" or "The American Christian Nation" and bang, there you have it.

Now all that remains to do is to ignite that f/sucker.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/4/2013 10:03:11 AM
Politics forum:
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingForum98.aspx

a devout Atheist

Since "devout" means "totally committed to a cause or belief", and Athiests don't believe, what cause would this person be committed to?

Let's assume this guy had no criminal record and tons of accreditations for academic and charitable achievements, was good looking, happily married with similar children fallowing in in footsteps and a Second degree black belt in Karate.

And that's what makes a good President to you?

For the record, I could care less if the President is Christian, Jewish, athiest, or believes in the Great Green Arklesniezure. I could care less if he is white or black, or if he stuck a cigar in his intern's vagoo. I care about whether he can balance foreign and domestic concerns, and accomplish something without running trillion-dollar deficits. Our current President proved that he cannot, but we reelected him anyway. Don't blame me: I voted for Johnson.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 12:02:39 PM
Well if his kids are well adjusted might have been better; I was in a hurry. If he is a second degree blackbelt he can think fast, that means dig right in to "learning fast" any bill or such, and since he has several degrees we know he can get answers just as fast, knows where the books are. Happily married tells us his wife is still voting for him. Good looking just means money, anyone can be a fox if they spend the dough on it. A criminal record would indicate he did something unforgivable. Not a good thing for a new guy in the White House.

As a devout Atheist of a loving family he would prove that Earthlings are growing up and don't "need" laws to get along.
 mattsc27
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 10:07:01 PM
I wouldn't vote for an Atheist president, however I would definitely vote for an atheist Prime Minister (eh? : P )

I personally feel that practicing atheism or agnosticism doesn't mean you don't have ethics or morals, which is where I assume most would see the problem.

Hopefully it will happen one day : )
Posted: 2/5/2013 12:59:10 AM
curecurious:

I asked you why you would choose a muslim candidate, all things being equal, and you said...

Because i always go for the underdog! How could woult it be if America actually had a political party that had islamic tendencies :D

- Why would you vote for the underdog, just because they're the underdog? Why is it a good reason, or even a good enough reason?

- I don't think you're being totally honest. The question assumes all other things equal...what's your real reason?

- Why do you think a muslim candidate would be an underdog?

- Exactly what do you mean by 'islamic tendencies'? What are these?
 LennyPane
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2013 1:12:34 AM
^^ Don't you know that those cute little answers they give are nothing but shortcuts to thinking?
Posted: 2/5/2013 1:15:42 AM
^ ^ ^ heh...yes.
 LennyPane
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2013 1:31:32 AM
God told good 'ol Georgie Bush to bomb Iraq. He asked god a serious question, and he got right back to him. If even a tiny fraction of the population consider this true, there is no hope. None. None whatsoever. What kind of gullible, disgusting, waste of a brain human being could even consider, even for a split second, that that holds any resemblance to reality? That's it folks. The guy who's granting you eternal paradise is ordering hits on hundreds of thousands of brown skinned foreigners. Women and children included. The inmates are
officially running the f*cking asylum.
 Aries_328
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2013 8:03:31 AM

"And let me tell you, these past two years, they have deepened my faith. The presidency has a funny way of making a person feel the need to pray. Abe Lincoln said, as many of you know, 'I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go.'

"I didn't become a Christian until many years later, when I moved to the South Side of Chicago after college. It happened not because of indoctrination or a sudden revelation, but because I spent month after month working with church folks who simply wanted to help neighbors who were down on their luck no matter what they looked like, or where they came from, or who they prayed to. It was on those streets, in those neighborhoods, that I first heard God's spirit beckon me. It was there that I felt called to a higher purpose -- His purpose."

Name the quoted.

Do you take the quote as literal that he first heard God's spirit beckon him?
 flyguy51
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/5/2013 8:43:25 AM
Well, essentially LennyPane was talking about an apple, and you wonder if he can identify an orange.
 LennyPane
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2013 5:27:03 PM
Apples, oranges... Doesn't matter. Why would anyone vote for a president who doesn't consult god before a mass murder? Y'all are nuts.
 kingdavid2013
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/6/2013 11:56:43 AM
lenny , innocent people have ALWAYS suffered for what evil has done,, it sucks yea but thats LIFE, ,, Dont worry its all gonna make sense when you meet Him , ,,, oh and dont we have an atheist presdient as we speak? wait no he s muslim ,, or is it christian??
 mark777771
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 7:34:39 PM
I believe a few of our early presidents were atheist's. Jefferson and Madison come to mind.
 Aries_328
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 7:38:00 PM

I believe a few of our early presidents were atheist's. Jefferson and Madison come to mind.

Your belief does not equal reality
 jed456
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 10:54:25 PM
Jefferson was not an athiest however He created the Jefforsonian bible

Thomas Jefferson, together with several of his fellow founding fathers, was influenced by the principles of deism, a construct that envisioned a supreme being as a sort of watchmaker who had created the world but no longer intervened directly in daily life. A product of the Age of Enlightenment, Jefferson was keenly interested in science and the perplexing theological questions it raised. Although the author of the Declaration of Independence was one of the great champions of religious freedom, his belief system was sufficiently out of the mainstream that opponents in the 1800 presidential election labeled him a “howling Atheist.”

In fact, Jefferson was devoted to the teachings of Jesus Christ. But he didn’t always agree with how they were interpreted by biblical sources, including the writers of the four Gospels, whom he considered to be untrustworthy correspondents. So Jefferson created his own gospel by taking a sharp instrument, perhaps a penknife, to existing copies of the New Testament and pasting up his own account of Christ’s philosophy, distinguishing it from what he called “the corruption of schismatizing followers.”

The second of the two biblical texts he produced is on display through May 28 at the Albert H. Small Documents Gallery of the Smithsonian National Museum of American History (NMAH) after a year of extensive repair and conservation. “Other aspects of his life and work have taken precedence,” says Harry Rubenstein, chair and curator of the NMAH political history division. “But once you know the story behind the book, it’s very Jeffersonian.”

Jefferson produced the 84-page volume in 1820—six years before he died at age 83—bound it in red leather and titled it The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth. He had pored over six copies of the New Testament, in Greek, Latin, French and King James English. “He had a classic education at [the College of] William & Mary,” Rubenstein says, “so he could compare the different translations. He cut out passages with some sort of very sharp blade and, using blank paper, glued down lines from each of the Gospels in four columns, Greek and Latin on one side of the pages, and French and English on the other.”

Much of the material Jefferson elected to not include related miraculous events, such as the feeding of the multitudes with only two fish and five loaves of barley bread; he eschewed anything that he perceived as “contrary to reason.” His idiosyncratic gospel concludes with Christ’s entombment but omits his resurrection. He kept Jesus’ own teachings, such as the Beatitude, “Blessed are the peace-makers: for they shall be called the children of God.” The Jefferson Bible, as it’s known, is “scripture by subtraction,” writes Stephen Prothero, a professor of religion at Boston University.

The first time Jefferson undertook to create his own version of Scripture had been in 1804. His intention, he wrote, was “the result of a life of enquiry and reflection, and very different from that anti-Christian system, imputed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions.” Correspondence indicates that he assembled 46 pages of New Testament passages in The Philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth. That volume has been lost. It focused on Christ’s moral teachings, organized by topic. The 1820 volume contains not only the teachings, but also events from the life of Jesus.

The Smithsonian acquired the surviving custom bible in 1895, when the Institution’s chief librarian, Cyrus Adler, purchased it from Jefferson’s great-granddaughter, Carolina Ran­dolph. Originally, Jefferson had bequeathed the book to his daughter Martha.

The acquisition revealed the existence of the Jefferson Bible to the public. In 1904, by act of Congress, his version of Scripture, regarded by many as a newly discovered national treasure, was printed. Until the 1950s, when the supply of 9,000 copies ran out, each newly elected senator received a facsimile Jefferson Bible on the day that legislator took the oath of office. (Disclosure: Smithsonian Books has recently published a new facsimile edition.)

The original book now on view has undergone a painstaking restoration led by Janice Stagnitto Ellis, senior paper conservator at the NMAH. “We re-sewed the binding,” she says, “in such a way that both the original cover and the original pages will be preserved indefinitely. In our work, we were Jefferson-level meticulous.”

“The conservation process,” says Harry Rubenstein, “has allowed us to exhibit the book just as it was when Jefferson last handled it. And since digital pictures were taken of each page, visitors to the exhibition—and visitors to the web version all over the world—will be able to page through and read Jefferson’s Bible just as he did.”

Owen Edwards is a freelance writer and author of the book Elegant Solutions.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/How-Thomas-Jefferson-Created-His-Own-Bible.html#ixzz2KNlnl0mD

"No man can conform his faith to the dictates of another. The life and essence of religion consists in the internal persuasion or belief of the mind." —Thomas Jefferson, 1776

A Revolutionary Act

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." —Thomas Jefferson, 1787
 jed456
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 11:12:34 PM

Apples, oranges... Doesn't matter. Why would anyone vote for a president who doesn't consult god before a mass murder? Y'all are nuts.

Like George Bush consulting god to invade Iraq and Afghanistan? Their is way to much religion in government.

A Revolutionary Act
Bill Of Rights
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Article Six of the United States Constitution establishes the Constitution and the laws and treaties of the United States made in accordance with it as the supreme law of the land, forbids a religious test as a requirement for holding a governmental position and holds the United States under the Constitution responsible for debts incurred by the United States under the Articles of Confederation
 mark777771
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2013 1:56:52 PM
lol its a moron convention here. These quotes of from James Madison. "during almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and and servility in the laity; in both superstition, bigotry and persecution." Next quote "In no instance have....the churches been gauardians of the liberties of the people." Next quote "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." ARIES 328 Hardly the words of a man who subscribes to organized religion or even remotely thinks god should play a role in electing a president. AS to whether he was an atheist or agnostic, my inclination is he was a free thinker who leaned towards atheism. So you're assertion that I was incorrect and not dealing with facts is and was fallacious. He attended a episcopal church some but that was due to "politics" and not his belief in the "invisible sky daddy." Thomas Jefferson is next.
 Aries_328
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2013 7:11:50 PM

ARIES 328 Hardly the words of a man who subscribes to organized religion or even remotely thinks god should play a role in electing a president. AS to whether he was an atheist or agnostic, my inclination is he was a free thinker who leaned towards atheism. So you're assertion that I was incorrect and not dealing with facts is and was fallacious. He attended a episcopal church some but that was due to "politics" and not his belief in the "invisible sky daddy." Thomas Jefferson is next.

Just because you make shit up doesn't make it true. You called them Athiests. It was factually inaccurate. Which makes you basically dishonest in your assertions. What is worse is you knew it.
Posted: 2/10/2013 1:58:18 PM

I asked you why you would choose a muslim candidate, all things being equal, and you said...

- Why would you vote for the underdog, just because they're the underdog? Why is it a good reason, or even a good enough reason?

- I don't think you're being totally honest. The question assumes all other things equal...what's your real reason?

- Why do you think a muslim candidate would be an underdog?

- Exactly what do you mean by 'islamic tendencies'? What are these?

Can I get an answer to these questions?
 Celje
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/13/2013 12:28:28 PM
What about a hermaphrodite buddhist?

Voting is judging, we should stop doing both if you want a less fawked up planet.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would you vote for an Atheist president?