Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men don't smell like men anymore      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DragonBits
Msg: 51
Men don't smell like men anymorePage 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
As we grow older, our sense of smell declines. This diminished ability to smell, known in scientific circles as either hyposmia (lessened sense of smell) or anosmia (complete loss of sense of smell), affects nearly half the population between the ages of 65 and 80 years.

I am sure this is why some older women put on too much perfume.

But maybe some are old before their time?
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 52
Men don't smell like men anymore
Posted: 1/22/2013 2:34:37 PM
Moonchild once after a week long trip with only once being near a lake to wash up. I always try and wash up if I can every night before getting into the sleeping bag.
Before I drove home I got a backet of freezing cold water and soap, Went behind some trees got butt naked. Then spend about 30 min scrabbing my self.
I would have kicked my self out of the car from the smell, Yes I smelled that bad. The dog smelled so much better then me. When we got back to the car.
Your fisherman friend wanted you to know what a real man smells like lol...
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/22/2013 2:57:13 PM
As my mom used to say, a little dab will do you when it comes to perfume and hair products. I prefer soapy, clean smells to perfumy ones both and nothing heavy or overpowering. And no to Old Spice...the smell is okay, but my father wore that...it would be creepy kissing a man that smelled like good ol' Dad.

I have gone on first meets where the men were seemingly intelligent but they smelled bad...not of cologne or soap...but old man smell (body odor, bad breath, unwashed hair, clothes that smell like a hamper) basted in cologne. Do men really not know that they stink?
 aussiesealady
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/22/2013 3:22:11 PM
I like a man to smell like a man. Freshly showered, super clean skin wearing only a smile for me.

Wow - all I can smell is testosterone and pheremones.

Oops now I need a cold shower.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:24:20 PM
I like same thing on my woman.. Clean out of the shower nothing extra just smelling clean and wearing only one of my dress shirts......Yummmy... Hey Aussiealady make some room in the cold shower for me too.
 Ted_tspark
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:42:11 PM
I read anything related to "Brut by Fabrege"....

...all I can hear is Eddie Murphy cackling like a loon on meth :)
 wcratz2012
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/22/2013 9:25:31 PM
So you miss the scent of Old Codger #9 huh?
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/22/2013 9:26:29 PM
au naturel. I don't wear antiperspirant or deodorant. I smell like a real man.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/22/2013 11:13:59 PM
I kinda think yall are too old for me--has anyone been to the department stores in the last decade they have some wonderful scents out there--my favorite is Romance for men by Ralph Lauren.

Calvin Klein makes One--it is for either sex. Most younger people wear scents that can go either way.

I do like the smell of Irish Spring and love those old commercials but I have only had one guy I have met who smelled like my father or grandfather--most have updated their scent.

My mom had a whole bottle of Channel number 5 when she died in December and I asked my daughters if one of them wanted it and they both said they didn't wish to smell like an older lady.

If a man isnt wearing a good scent to me that is a big big turnoff and while I prefer straight out of the shower then is something special about slow dancing with a good smelling man.
 aussiesealady
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/23/2013 12:39:49 AM
I just bought some of the new Channel number 5.
It is a lighter more modern younger frangrance.

When I tried it my 28 year old female neice said that I smelt like a woman.

Good enough for me.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/23/2013 2:35:55 AM
^^ Now I want to go try that--I know my mom only wore Channel No 5 since I was a little girl!

My ex got me a bottle of J'adore by Christian Dior Perfume when he was in France visiting his mom and every time I wear it someone stops and asks me what I am wearing and how much they like it. I used to spray his cologne on his pillow when he was over there cause I loved the way it smelled but I put on mine to go to bed at night, I just love smelling good.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/23/2013 8:47:23 AM
there is something special about slow dancing with a good smelling man.

Ummm, I know what you mean. *grins*

...mae
 perre62
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/23/2013 9:59:21 AM
A bit old-fashioned here...a good hot shower with Ivory soap...and if I use cologne, at all...just a light splash of Aspen...a bit dated, I guess but have had a lot of ladies ask, and some recognize the scent. I think it's a matter of generation and what we perceive as a good scent! I love Chanel No. 5, on a woman!
 ForumFiona
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/23/2013 2:17:09 PM

Lemon is and cinnamon can be depending if its leaf or not.The leaf is pretty benign and bark should never be used.
Most aren't irritating in a small amount.

Thanks Peppermints, I was under the impression that only Lavender could be used straight from the bottle.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2013 2:40:20 PM
I'm a sucker for a man who smells of nice colonge. And, yes the scents do go in and out of style, which IMHO, is a good thing.

I knew Old Spice was trying to make a come back. But do they still even sell English Leather and Canoe?
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2013 2:42:30 PM
I take mine hiking. Trust me, he smells like a MAN when we're done.

Other than that, I like L'Occitan on him.
 Rapunzel1964
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/24/2013 1:57:00 AM
Personally, I love Old Spice! Now that's a MANLY scent!
 Lucky...13
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/24/2013 10:34:40 AM
I prefer Drakkar Noir or the scent of Irish Spring deodorant soap....LOL
 ohenryx
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 11:31:53 AM

Giggles1000
I do like the smell of Irish Spring

This subject came up in the forums some time ago. A woman informed all of us men that we would never get a BJ smelling like Irish Spring, and I immediately quit using it (smile).

Calvin Klein makes One--it is for either sex. Most younger people wear scents that can go either way.

Which is exactly what the OP was complaining about. See the thread title, Men don’t smell like men anymore

something special about slow dancing with a good smelling man.

Many women spray perfume on their hair brush so that their hair smells really nice. Being fairly tall, most women tuck their head under my chin when we’re dancing. I am NOT responsible for the results!
 wcratz2012
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/24/2013 11:59:12 AM
Oh ya, there is the old scent Bengay as well.

That you smell your missing? LOL
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/24/2013 1:53:17 PM
I love a man with a sexy trace of cologne, I cant stand a man who wears too much. Besides the best man-smell is freshly showered and shaved yummy!

And topped off with a little Aqua Velva Ice Blue after shave. Still a classic after all these years.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:06:36 PM
Haha, now I'm going to have that jingle in my head all day.

"'Cause there's sooooomething about an AQUA VELVA MAAAAAAN!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdCBkDSUWaU
 Ted_tspark
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:51:14 PM
I find CK One is pretty generic.

And as for traipsing down memory lane to Canoe, English Leather, Old Spice. and the scary-sounding au natural...might I suggest a wander through the Men's section of Macy's :).

Personally I would prefer not to meet someone smelling of bottom shelf grocery store pharmacy aisle.

And for the record...I think Chanel Number (not #) 5 is timeless....
 Lucky...13
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:58:55 PM
Terry Crews is hysterical in this Old Spice Commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMj90oyBao
 Giggles10000
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/24/2013 4:51:50 PM
^^^ awesome commercial --his eyebrows were killing me--

and the reason I put that about CK One is that many people no longer have a clear divide on sexuality--some of my daughter's male friends are guys wear girl's skinny fit jeans--drives me crazy but it's what they do--they don't eat well and like like a good stiff wind could blow them over--but it makes them happy who am I to judge.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men don't smell like men anymore