Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men don't smell like men anymore      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 harryoutdoors1
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Men don't smell like men anymorePage 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Are wanting to date us or bake us into a cake Peppermint? Ha!
 Technoartisan
Msg: 77
Men don't smell like men anymore
Posted: 1/24/2013 6:16:55 PM
I don't wear cologne/perfume/whatever but have been completed several times that I smell good. I usually just respond with something like "good, since I'm not wearing anything". Women just look at me a little shocked then accept it. I think the key to smelling good is simple hygiene not an olfactory smoke screen.

As for guys (mostly, I've noticed this among younger ones, but all ages are guilty) being more effeminate, I have to agree that they are. Some times I just want to smack them and tell them to stop acting like girls.
 Bogie_Bacall474
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/24/2013 6:32:36 PM
I always thought aftershave/cologne/perfume was meant to be discovered...not something that lingers for an hour after you leave. I think the term "hint" of aftershave/cologne/perfume is best.

Actually, the best is fresh out of the shower (I hate Irish Spring soap) freshly scrubbed, a good bit of mattress dancing and an hour later be nestled in the arms of a man. ummmm
 Love.Notes
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/24/2013 8:55:28 PM
When I think of Old Spice I think of my father and that's going wayyy back. I don't want any man I'm dating to smell like Old Spice, English Leather or Canoe. You're right about one thing, it was back in the day when your generation loved it! There is nothing wrong with liking that, if that's what you're use to. Perhaps these young pups put a little too much cologne on in which case would be a bit of a turn off for any woman but Old Spice and English Leather? Sorry dear that doesn't turn me on either. To each their own though...

JMO
 Anne0217
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/24/2013 11:57:47 PM
I like my date to smell good...I dont like going out with a man who smells like an"old man smell."
No,Idont like cheesy,cheap colognes...
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 5:07:21 AM

Are wanting to date us or bake us into a cake Peppermint? Ha!

The dates comes first.

Baking comes later, but you must be *baking* material.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:08:30 AM
When I think of Old Spice I think of my father and that's going wayyy back. I don't want any man I'm dating to smell like Old Spice,

When I catch a whiff of Old Spice, I think of my dad and my brother , they both wore it. Even though it evokes some good loving memories, it would not due to have my date smelling just like them........ at certain times. *grins*

Perhaps these young pups put a little too much cologne on in which case would be a bit of a turn off for any woman

I was standing behind a young guy at the bank the other day and he "reeked" of Axe cologne. And I couldn't escape, I was forced to inhale it's powerful scent. Perfume or cologne should be a reward to those that get close to you, and not so overpowering that you look for an escape route.

...mae
 DragonBits
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:39:12 AM
I haven't read the thread, but stop masking that old man smell and stop it at the source.

For a moderate problem, I would recommend either The Premium - Flatulence Deodorizer Pad instantly neutralizes unpleasant gas odor without anyone knowing it.

The Premium Flatulance Deodorizer Pad is a thin pad (amazingly only 1/16 of an inch!) containing highly activated charcoal that is placed in your underwear (men or women) where it is held securely in place with a strip of double face tape which are provided.

For those with serious problems, this could very well be the most exciting scientific breakthrough item I have ever seen. “Under-Ease” is a revolutionary new air-tight underwear that contains a charcoal filter, which filters out noxious bodily odors before they can escape into the atmosphere and be blamed on the dog.

Stop that “OLD MAN” smell and step forward confidently into the arms of your PoF partner!!!
 ann2H20
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/25/2013 9:18:19 AM
mmmm....mmmmhhhhmmmm..... the hour later....that's the best smell........thanks for the memory flash, bogie
 Love.Notes
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/25/2013 7:54:20 PM
I agree with mae flower

Old Spice makes me smile too but only because it reminds me of my father. As for the young guys that put way to much on. I wonder if anyone has ever told them. lol

I wouldn't have the heart to..

Pangaean
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/27/2013 6:25:12 AM
I generally dislike scents on anyone unless it's very occasional.
I expect my woman to smell like a woman-- herself-- as opposed to others' notions of what she should smell like.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/28/2013 11:21:43 AM
Bvlgari

Two things my in my life I know to be true:
I'm picky about shoes (because I hate them)
and pickier about perfume (because I love smells)

I've had few shoes in my life
and fewer perfumes.
Till twenty, Shalimar
Till thirty, Replique
Till forty, China musk
Till fifty, Lauren
Till sixty, Escape
At sixty-four: Jicky

Except for my Daddy's
Old Spice, and on him only,
I've never loved a man who smelled
other than sweaty.
Until, just the other day
when this majikal gent
just strolled into my life
wearing Bulgari Aqua. . . .

How *did* he know?

Posted: 1/26/2007 11:01:25 AM
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/28/2013 12:12:38 PM
Hmmm.....I've heard a lot of nice comments regarding Bulgari Aqua. I think I will have to check it out... just in case.

My eldest daughter surprised me (ok, not completely, I did throw some hints hehe) at Christmas with a bottle of Amarige by Givenchy....I just love it. I've recieved a compliment or two since wearing it....."Is that you smelling so darn good?" It is...*big grin*

...mae
 Fleuron
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/28/2013 1:22:37 PM

I expect my woman to smell like a woman-- herself-- as opposed to others' notions of what she should smell like.

How about her own notions?
 Giggles10000
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/28/2013 1:42:16 PM
^^^ I caught that as well-- I put on perfume to go to bed at night cause I love the way it smells

I hate so many think most women are so weak minded that if they do some things it is cause they are trying to keep up with the notions of others and if they don't then it is to make someone else happy--especially at over 45 --the women on here should KNOW what they like and be RESPECTED in their wishes--ie dont meet us and then try to change us we don't like it any better than guys do.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/28/2013 3:02:25 PM
When my daughter was very young, maybe 8 or 9 she would often sleep over at her best friends house. The first couple of times she took my pillow. So I asked her, "Why must you always take my pillow when you go to Kim's, what's wrong with your own pillows?"
She looked at me with big innocent eyes and said, " It's because your pillow smells like you and it makes my heart feel warm."
I never begrudged her my pillow again ~smiles~

Unlike Giggles, I don't intentionally wear perfume or cologne to bed but I do know that whatever scent I am wearing that day tends to linger on my pillow cases and I like that. :)

...mae
 seafoodandeatit
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 3:06:18 PM
to venusenvy777
Besides the best WOMAN-smell is freshly showered and shaved yummy!
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/28/2013 8:57:12 PM
Armani code, just a spray. I don't mind smelling like a man after a hard day of work but, I like to smell good after I get cleaned up.

On a woman, if she wears "Addict" by Dior, and applies it correctly meaning, it doesn't smell so strong I can taste it. I'll do anything you want.
 _Meta_Man_
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/29/2013 3:26:06 PM
If a woman wears too much perfume she's trying to cover up a smelly coochie ... so these men must be gay lovers.
 Pangaean
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:04:16 PM

I expect my woman to smell like a woman-- herself-- as opposed to others' notions of what she should smell like. ~ Pangaean

How about her own notions? ~ fleuron

Like what? Smelling like a "corporate notion"?
I suppose your notion could be a corporate notion, but would that be smelling like you?
I'm ok with some smells, but at the end of the day, I simply prefer a woman to smell like herself.

I also prefer a woman who consumes less too and sucks less up to the corporatocracy.

Giggles10000; perhaps you have misinterpreted my previous comment.
 Fleuron
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/29/2013 5:13:22 PM

Like what? Smelling like a "corporate notion"?
I suppose your notion could be a corporate notion, but would that be smelling like you?
I'm ok with some smells, but at the end of the day, I simply prefer a woman to smell like herself.

I also prefer a woman who consumes less too and sucks less up to the corporatocracy.

Hm. Probably there are worse things than smelling like me…and I don’t “suck up” to anybody.

I meant like HER notion. As in, HER decision; not yours. I’m sure my choice in perfume wouldn’t be another woman’s….so what? I have a right to my choice, and the right to make my choice. So does any woman.

Is it okay if your woman uses deodorant, or soap and shampoo? Is that too corporatey for you, too, or just corporatey enough? Most women don’t churn their own soap.

Anyhoo this thread is about men who don’t smell like men anymore, not men who don’t let women smell how they want to smell.
 Pangaean
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/29/2013 7:13:30 PM
I’m sure my choice in perfume wouldn’t be another woman’s….so what? ~ Fleuron (and all quotes thereafter)

It would if you bought the same kind, yes? Then perhaps you'd smell kind of like her too.

I have a right to my choice, and the right to make my choice. So does any woman.

Of course, and I also have a right to suggest what I prefer.
At the same time, apparently in some work environments, perfume-- at least at certain levels-- is discouraged. It's even policy. Apparently, there are allergies to some perfume and/or a concern with scent overkill/pollution or something. Nothing like sharing a boardroom full of people with clashing/olfactorily-jarring scents I guess.

Is it okay if your woman uses deodorant, or soap and shampoo? Is that too corporatey for you, too, or just corporatey enough? Most women don’t churn their own soap.

I once had a g/f who didn't like the smell of my "unscented" deodorant (which nevertheless still smelled a little), so I changed it to one she was ok with and that smelled much less. Soap and deodorant seem different, though, and their purposes seem unlike or less like the purpose of perfume. Different effects.

Anyhoo this thread is about men who don’t smell like men anymore, not men who don’t let women smell how they want to smell.

Sure.
You and Giggles10000 can bathe in perfume and then get directly in bed without drying afterward for all I care... and perhaps go for that special man whose manufactured smells kind of override his natural scents.
 Pangaean
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/29/2013 7:28:24 PM
Perfume in the Workplace
Fragrances have been used over the millennia for medicine, religion, romance, and simply to mask foul odors.

However, the composition of today’s fragrances is quite different from that of the ancient pharaohs or the “perfumed court” of France’s King Louis XV. Until the nineteenth century, scents were made from fragrant resins, flower essences, herbs, spices and other natural ingredients. Now, they are a complex mixture of natural materials and synthetic chemicals. Several hundred chemicals may be used to make a single scented product.

Chemicals used in fragrances can cause health problems such as shortness of breath, headaches and migraines, nausea, muscle pain, and cold-like symptoms. Asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, and allergies can all be adversely affected by the chemicals found in scented products. According to the Lung Association, one study found that 72 per cent of people with asthma had adverse reactions to perfumes.

In most workplaces there are employees who react to fragrances. Employees who like to wear perfume may not realize that they are triggering headaches, wheezing or allergic reactions in fellow employees...
~ Canada Safety Council

Carcinogenicity
There is scientific evidence that nitro-musks such as musk xylene can cause cancer while common ingredients, like certain polycyclic synthetic musks, can disrupt the balance of hormones in the human body (endocrine disruption). Some natural aromatics, such as oakmoss absolutes, contain allergens and carcinogenic compounds.

Toxicity
Certain chemicals found in perfume are often toxic, at least for small insects if not for humans. For example the compound Tricyclodecenyl allyl ether is often found in synthetic perfumes and has insect repellent property.

Species endangerment
The demands for aromatic materials like sandalwood, agarwood, musk has led to the endangerment of these species as well as illegal trafficking and harvesting. ~ Wikipedia

Perhaps, Fleuron, there's something to be said about 'churning your own soap'?

Hm. Probably there are worse things than smelling like me… ~ Fleuron
 _M_i_c_h_a_e_l_
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/29/2013 11:26:31 PM
Cobain came up with the song's title when his friend Kathleen Hanna, at the time the lead singer of the riot grrrl punk band Bikini Kill, spray painted "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on his wall. Since they had been discussing anarchism, punk rock, and similar topics, Cobain interpreted the slogan as having a revolutionary meaning. What Hanna actually meant, however, was that Cobain smelled like the deodorant Teen Spirit, which his then-girlfriend Tobi Vail wore. Cobain later claimed that he was unaware that it was a brand of deodorant until months after the single was released.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/30/2013 3:05:25 AM

Of course, and I also have a right to suggest what I prefer.
At the same time, apparently in some work environments, perfume-- at least at certain levels-- is discouraged. It's even policy. Apparently, there are allergies to some perfume and/or a concern with scent overkill/pollution or something. Nothing like sharing a boardroom full of people with clashing/olfactorily-jarring scents I guess. ....

I once had a g/f who didn't like the smell of my "unscented" deodorant (which nevertheless still smelled a little), so I changed it to one she was ok with and that smelled much less. Soap and deodorant seem different, though, and their purposes seem unlike or less like the purpose of perfume. Different effects

.Sure.
You and Giggles10000 can bathe in perfume and then get directly in bed without drying afterward for all I care... and perhaps go for that special man whose manufactured smells kind of override his natural scents.

I don't think anyone was saying they wore overbearing scents, and while I think it was outstanding that you changed your deodorant for your g/f, the point I think you missed is that smell bothered her --so you changed it, you didn't stop wearing deodorant. We don't want to wear something that bothers someone especially the person we are in love with; however, there is a difference in a man directing us what they want us to wear or not wear and us wearing what pleases us. The only scents I would wear would be cleaning smelling which when I was married my ex didn't like, the ones he did gave me a bad headache so we found one we both liked. As someone who at the beginning of the thread said that nothing beats the way a man tastes and smells right out of a shower--natural has it place but imho so does the right scent.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men don't smell like men anymore