Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men don't smell like men anymore      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fleuron
Msg: 101
Men don't smell like men anymorePage 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Pangaean:
It would if you bought the same kind, yes? Then perhaps you'd smell kind of like her too.

Not necessarily….people have their own personal scents, ya know….we don’t all smell like each other, even when we’ve used the same fragrance.

I once had a g/f who didn't like the smell of my "unscented" deodorant

Oops….maybe it was you.

Soap and deodorant seem different, though, and their purposes seem unlike or less like the purpose of perfume. Different effects.

So it’s not a “corporate,” issue with you anymore? It seemed you perhaps objected to the conformity of it all…but now it just the stench you object to?

You and Giggles10000 can bathe in perfume and then get directly in bed without drying afterward for all I care... and perhaps go for that special man whose manufactured smells kind of override his natural scents.

I didn’t say anything about getting into bed after bathing in perfume. I simply asked if you allow your woman to decide how she smells. Remember?

YOU:
I expect my woman to smell like a woman-- herself-- as opposed to others' notions of what she should smell like.

ME:
How about her own notions?

My original comment to you had nothing to do with advocating stinky perfume, as you can see.

Btw……I’m sure she’s a sweetheart, but Giggles and I are not the same person.

Thanks for the info….I had no idea how dangerous taking a shower could be. And really? Smelling stench can exacerbate asthma?! Gee. I learn something new every day on these forums. :D

Perhaps, Fleuron, there's something to be said about 'churning your own soap'?

Go for it. You could start you own line of completely scentless soaps. Your advertising slogan can be something like, “When You Want Him to Forget You Completely,” or, “Don’t Kill Your Lover with Poisonous Fumes.” You could call it “ScentsLess.” Ooh, I like that. :D

All I know about making soap is what I saw on “Fight Club.”
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 102
Men don't smell like men anymore
Posted: 1/30/2013 10:01:40 AM

Churning soap sounds like a blast.

Really kinda does. And then even if the date's a bust, you get something nice and fragrant to take home.
 Pangaean
Msg: 103
Posted: 1/30/2013 10:33:08 AM
Yes, Helen and dream, I would like to investigate soap-making, among other things along related lines.

Fleuron, your strandy post seems to need a little conditioner...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_hairs

I'll offer to do just one for you...

It would if you bought the same kind, yes? Then perhaps you'd smell kind of like her too. ~ Pangaean

Not necessarily….people have their own personal scents, ya know….we don’t all smell like each other, even when we’ve used the same fragrance. ~ Fleuron

Hence my qualification, 'kind of'.

In any case-- and again-- I'd rather her 'eau naturelle', rather than some kind of olfactory/allergenic/carcinogenic/corporate and/or whatever mashup.
(soaps, deodorants, perfumes, laundry detergents, air fresheners, cleaners, insect repellants, etc. It adds up.).

You, Giggles10000 or whoever are free to impose your mashups on other "victims" and have a whale of a nose-hair curling/defoliating good time, etc.. Knock yourselves out.

I'll leave you with an old, surprisingly timeless, poem that I wrote 25 years ago. Enjoy.

~ Poemex ~

Asphalt moats ring
Concrete images on
Private properties once
Public forests in
Uprooted tree-holes
Billboards planted
Advertising chemical
Vegetables sprouting
Vegetable minds needing
Vaseline visine for
Yuppie flus and
Guppie tastes for
Lean Cuisine and
Dentyne, the
Synthetic breaths and
Commercial aires of
Obsession chanel
Soft-n-Dri finesse smell
Like everything else
But yourself

Sustainable development equals
Unsustainable destruction
Unbalanced equation
Slow decomposition for
Those with no
Disposable income for
Disposable art
Like this poem
Produced by Poemex(tm)

Read and throw away.
 ForumFiona
Msg: 104
Posted: 1/30/2013 12:46:12 PM

If a woman wears too much perfume she's trying to cover up a smelly coochie ... so these men must be gay lovers. _Just_A_Man

Haha! Perhaps these guys were trying to cover the odor of 'Call-Girl Colleen' or 'Hooker Heidi' (no offense meant to any women who have those names)...

Or they were smoking dope. Who knows.
 Fleuron
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/30/2013 3:47:23 PM
Pangaean:
You, Giggles10000 or whoever are free to impose your mashups on other "victims" and have a whale of a nose-hair curling/defoliating good time, etc.. Knock yourselves out.

Aw, now don’t go away mad, Pangaean. Lighten up and laugh a little.

I think we should all hit a liposuction clinic dumpster and go into business together.
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 4:18:55 PM
my chemical sensitivities are increasing and i find a lot of perfumes that are excessive in particular to be nauseating and some actual hit my nerves and i burn all over. thus, thinking that if i find it okay, i assume others will. WRONG!!!

my boyfriend hates some of my organic essential oils and wants me au natural. other people i know have very different taste in what is acceptable. many medical offices now ask that you not wear any perfume, especially physician offices of late. some geographic areas or corporations are actually making it illegal in public or work places, because so many people are getting sick from it. i believe there was a canadian thread on this way back. part of the problem is we don't know what is put in perfume to identify the neurotoxins, aside from just odor preferences.

also, for some it is a cultural thing. however with dating and workplace, i'd ask first before i assume that others share my preferences. particularly as some are too polite to tell you and just disappear leaving you wondering what happened! although i too, when younger, loved old spice on my very first boyfriend, i think i loved him and that was just his identifier. today i could not take that either, especially if bathed in it. same for expensive scents.
 boaterguy7
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/30/2013 4:49:23 PM
I wear Polo green, and I can't tell you how many women standing beside me turn and say, "You smell nice!" It is a quite nice feeling, and very much appreciated.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 108
Posted: 1/30/2013 5:43:56 PM

I wear Polo green, and I can't tell you how many women standing beside me turn and say, "You smell nice!" It is a quite nice feeling, and very much appreciated.

Yes it smells extremely nice!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/30/2013 6:32:00 PM

Again, I have no idea what that smells like. I guess I'm not getting close enough to the male population cause I'm out of the loop where colognes and aftershave are concerned..Lol

...mae
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/30/2013 6:53:25 PM
Pheromones...like "The Edge"...not overwhelming,but seems to get the job done!
 12thour
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/31/2013 12:02:25 AM
I read your thread with a bit of laughter because I feel the same way. Most of the scents men wear these days are too citrus or just too feminine.

Guilty here....I too like old spice on men. Also Grey Flannel and a few other very manly smells. Most of the stuff guys wear today is a turn off.

Now personally, I prefer a man to wear nothing if we are going to.....
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2013 12:19:47 AM
I have my own brew, but just too old now to hold up to the physical demands of it's power...I named it "Panty Storm." For those who dare....go down to the bank and get ten fresh new dollar bills, and allow them to soak a few days in distilled water with a touch of alcohol and strain.......May God help you! LOL
 gofurguy
Msg: 113
Posted: 2/6/2013 2:19:49 PM
for me its armani code, being italian i enjoy the aroma as much as women do, but i like it soft not loud, i dont want to be announced just noticed
 ducatirider1966
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/6/2013 2:39:18 PM
sex panther works for me:)
 DameWrite
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2013 7:11:06 PM
au naturel for this gal. How do you know if he's good for you if you can't smell the real him?
 PaintedLady2
Msg: 116
Posted: 2/7/2013 12:50:03 AM
I’d love to find out if Axe for Men is really like catnip for women. ;)]]

My 21 year old son has used Axe for years...but i just found out 2 days ago he is gay....so go figure...
 longworth1
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/7/2013 4:38:51 AM
Google "females prefer scent of male perspiration." Fresh, no BO.

Good science. Men should not smell like French hookers.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/7/2013 6:16:00 AM
Before going on a date, I like to rub freshly minted $100 bills all over my body. It drives the women mad.

It never ceases to amaze me how some women will be so paranoid about pesticide residues. Then they'll splash on some of the most dangerous carcinogens known to man because Britney Spears said it was "Obsession" or some such. Every day. Yes, Virgnia, it is absorbed through the skin.

You want to impress me? Forget about the chemical lilac scent. I'm not a sofa, and you don't need to spritz me with Fabreez. Rub on a scent that the men of POF all know: beer, pizza bagels and desparation.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2013 8:42:37 AM
I find the scent of Pinesol on a man drives women crazy.
 Pangaean
Msg: 120
Posted: 2/8/2013 10:25:59 AM

Pangaean:

Aw, now don’t go away mad, Pangaean. Lighten up and laugh a little. ~ fleuron

I actually rather enjoyed writing that. How about you?
And of course much humor comes from seriousness and anger too. For example, here's something from Carlin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMXKIsKt1s

[I think we should all hit a liposuction clinic dumpster and go into business together. ~ fleuron

'fleuron' sounds like the name for a perfume. So instead of lipo, perhaps we could push Fleuron For Men. Well ok, with a few drops of lipo for some 'complexity'.

Fleur de Fleur:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kximtb2qjLU&playnext=1&list=PL340D30F49B0D0920

In any case, "our" so-called notions or needs can be as "real" as a corporate need-creation manufacture/mindfck.

"One time a thing occurred to me
What's real and what's for sale
Blew a kiss and tried to take it home

It isn't you, isn't me
Search for things that you can't see
Going blind out of reach
Somewhere in the vasoline..."
~ Stone Temple Pilots
 Fleuron
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/9/2013 10:59:13 AM

I actually rather enjoyed writing that. How about you?

Yes, it was great for me, too.

In any case, "our" so-called notions or needs can be as "real" as a corporate need-creation manufacture/mindfck.

That’s why it will be so easy to be successful…we simply tell people what they want and then charge them a lot of money for it. I can see I will need to explain to you how lipo figures into this venture….

You’re pretty funny, Pangaean, when you aren’t busy being wrong.

Just kidding.

“Same old song
Just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do
Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind

Now don't hang on
Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away
And all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind”

~ Kansas

OT

After shoveling what felt like ten tons of wet concrete over two days I want my man to smell like motor oil from running the snow plow, wood smoke from firing up the wood stove, and the whiskey I had waiting for him. If he does those things for me I’ll appreciate him no matter what he smells like.
 Pangaean
Msg: 122
Posted: 2/9/2013 12:28:48 PM
I actually like the smells of many kinds of wood smoke, oil and whiskey. But what are you doing shoveling concrete? What about cob?

For some things, being wrong can be liberating, peaceful... Take making money for example. With "our" apparent system-- greed, debt-slavery, wage-slavery, the 1% and increasing social divides, fractional reserve banking, financial fraud, land/resource-plunder-for-profit, etc.-- it's a lost cause for practically everyone and everything. Here, I'd like to be wrong.

If we are going to be dust in the wind, let it be worth something, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

"Oscar Wilde, in one of his most famous apophthegms, once defined a cynic as one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
~ Wikipedia

OT;)
What about taking some pure or whatever alcohol and the petals or the scented parts of a favorite-smelling flower or flowers, put everything in a blender on 'liquify' and then strain/seive/filter into a nice bottle? And call it 'Voila!'?

...Homemade perfume video and How-to on a cursory search:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWuw5wwcEM

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-perfume/
"Why spend a fortune on perfume or cologne when you can make your own for cheap. Brand name perfume/cologne can cost from $50-100, why spend that much when you can create your own fragrance with vodka and essential oils.

Instead of wearing a fragrance that everyone else wears you can make your own unique blend. Your own aromatic creations also makes a thoughtful gift."
 Fleuron
Msg: 123
Posted: 2/9/2013 6:29:55 PM

I actually like the smells of many kinds of wood smoke, oil and whiskey.

Me too. :)

What about taking some pure or whatever alcohol and the petals or the scented parts of a favorite-smelling flower or flowers, put everything in a blender on 'liquify' and then strain/seive/filter into a nice bottle? And call it 'Voila!'?

I love that idea! But alcohol is drying…I’d prefer an alternative. :D
 Pangaean
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/9/2013 6:54:16 PM
Seems in my second link there was an alternative that used water and/or oil or something. (scroll down maybe)
In any case, Google's full of homemade perfume hits.
If you're going to annoy some of us with perfume, it might as well be natural/homemade. ;)
(With still a caution about allergies.)
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/11/2013 3:07:57 PM
Old spice, canoe? Are you serious? That's not your generation, that's not anyone's generation!

I wear just a tiny bit. And, my guess you don't even know how to wear perfume. Most people don't. Apply a small amount of the perfume or cologne on your ankles and let it rise with body heat up and around your entire frame. Not douse it on your neck, etc. That's nonsense.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men don't smell like men anymore