Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Germaine would be so proud.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Moon_Rocket
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Germaine would be so proud.Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Hey wait a minute!

I just realized Red was taking the piss out of yours truly...

most men have absolutely no direct experience of the dibilitating (sic) and humiliating lifelong consequences of appearance mattering more than substance within the public sphere.
Message 65.

That quote's for me.....Red are you absolutely joking????

Men suffer rejection at the hands of women almost every time they approach a female at a pub, club, bar, dance, etc, etc, you fill in the spaces! And why? Do these sound familiar?

"Wow, what a jerk!" "What a creep!" "God he's ugly!" "He's like a rake, yechht!" "Ha ha, did you see his face when I told him we were only hiring hot men tonight?" Hey I could keep going for another 10,000 words but why bother because you know what I am saying is true!

You think YOU guys are so special when it comes to appearance mattering? Yeah you MUST be joking because for a split second there I thought you were smart!

Guys are ABSOLUTELY judged by women on appearance period! Day in, day out! and having 3 daughters I see it from the inside so don't even think about keeping up that lame old argument 'cause it just a fairy story!

Truth is, if you are hot, you get the girls, if you are not? You better develop good interpersonal skills, quick, or you ain't gittin' no girls, period!

This argument that you are presenting under the guise of feminism is BS, patronizing and untrue. Fair enough if you want to pursue it but really, it does show you in an unflattering light. Bitter, uneducated in relationship dynamics and clueless in the empathy stakes when viewing things from a males perspective.

Christ, I am more of a feminist than you, at least I view men and women without rose colored glasses on.

Bugga the tractor, you're, driving me to drink!
 gingerosity
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Germaine would be so proud.
Posted: 2/1/2013 5:05:22 AM

You better develop good interpersonal skills, quick, or you ain't gittin' no girls, period!

Pun intended?
 Moon_Rocket
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2013 7:05:14 AM

You better develop good interpersonal skills, quick, or you ain't gittin' no girls, period!

Pun intended?

No, of course not, just complying with the thread ;-]
 Swanniie
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/1/2013 3:08:20 PM
*you're

bwha ha ahahhahahaaaaaaaaa *full stop since the period puns are so done now!
 Swanniie
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/2/2013 12:11:32 AM
I know. so smack me ":)

is now a good time to bring up my hysterectomy??
 peony-rose
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/2/2013 12:18:06 AM
My own 2 cents worth:

I have found Ms Greer's writings very interesting up to a point, particularly with regards to the way History really does tell his story, disregarding her story. I grew up believing there had never been any female artists of great ability or repute. Ever notice how most art history books only discuss men? Women have been disadvantaged in a deplorable way until more recent times.

Also my own mother had a lovely job with a bank until she married and had to resign due to company policy in the 1960's. She had no choice in pursuing a career as well as a marriage. At least these days we have progressed in some ways.
 Swanniie
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/2/2013 12:31:27 AM
Peony Rose (lovely name by the way)
Yes we have progressed, although sometimes working and raising a family is exhausting, I wish sometimes I could do one or the other.. but thats beside the point..
Videos and current teen trends I feel are going to drag us all back..
 greyingred
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2013 1:53:55 AM
a) are you are suggesting men can have no role in the discussion of female oppression b) are you claiming you have some authority to define the male experience?

a) nope. Will add cos obviously the acid has kicked in after the rohipnol wore off. that is the right of every woman (or man) to have a baby (even though he hasn't got a uterus) etc etc. b) nope, just opinionated personal view, gross generalisations and when god created man, she was only joking
you don't see too mny pretty females complaining about the inherent sexism of society.

Yes you do and in my youth I was one of them. more to the point was one of the pretty young ones dancing on stage with alternative career being P.A. Would infuriate me that because I was small and attractive that certain males would automatically dismiss me as 'airhead female'. I have just realised this never happened in theatre but always in office, 'proper' business. There were no grounds for the assumption because it would be their first reaction upon first meeting, therefore my (opinionated) deduction was since it was in public working sphere, that they were a combination of one or all, a) chauvenist b) insecure c) dangerous (as in not good for my career if rubbed up the wrong way...i.e. point out what they are doing wrong). You learn to pick your battles and when the battle is your boss and potential income robber....hey thank god for Unions and feminism, eventually it should be less of an issue except during the adolescent years when hormones win the battle over reason for both genders. I have got office jobs merely because of the way I looked and took it anyway upping the salary with success due to their unconscious fantasy/guilt but was always wary of those bosses and only once almost came a cropper. Now one could argue quite successfully that this is what happens in the male career sphere anyway but being female puts you one gender rung below in the first place.

How many feminists does it take to change the lightbulb? None, that is what men are for. snicker snicker.
 Swanniie
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:03:50 PM
Funny you mention that in the workplace, I was in the same place for 16 years.. I started at the bottom scrubbing toilets aged 17 and left as the somewhat henpecked kitchen manager.. yet.. I was only ever seen as the baby, and reports I submitted were barely glanced at, new staff and supervisors treated me like I was the aprentice.., all my epxerince and skills were totally overlooked. Am going to guess it was because I was not a power headed career minded woman, but plodded along doing my job and accepting that everyone around me forgot I was no longer 17.
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/6/2013 9:59:22 PM

I do doubt that Miss Plowman would even know who Ms Greer is..

So the premise here is that Greer writes a book, mentions tasting menstrual blood but doesn’t mean it literally… then many years later a girl who doesn’t mention the book (and we can probably safely assume has never read the book) drinks menstrual blood, posts it on the internet, and the author of the book is held responsible.

Are we also going to point the finger at Freud for ‘two girls one cup’? :)

"Feminism is not a dirty word. It does not mean you hate men, it does not mean you hate girls who have nice legs and a tan, and it does not mean you are a b1tch or a dyke, it means you believe in equality." -Kate Nash, English singer songwriter

What a relief to see a glimmer of common sense after reading through comments that argue against "feminism" by portraying it as being some sort of aspiration to turn men & women into androgynous clones of each other... or as a movement that conspires to ensure that women never cook again even if they are really really hungry ...or even more laughable, to represent it as being purely there as the default position of women who are unattractive. Yeesh. So many strawman arguments, so little time.

We all need to get over this notion of equality…//…In that sense we are not equal and never will be.,
You seem to be repeatedly asserting that equality means ‘same’ in the way that clones are the same. But the sameness being sought in context of gender equality refers to sameness of things like value…worth…status…rights. It does not refer to a desire to be the same physically, or to have the same size arms, or to adopt the same mannerisms, or the same vocal range, or to p1ss standing up, or any of the other ridiculously oversimplistic stuff that gets bandied about by those who wish to portray that feminism is not logical and that feminists are not “real women”, exist only on the fringe of society, can never be desirable, and can never sustain a healthy relationship with a man. Those are very agenda-based attempts to undermine and deter, rather than any kind of truths. Feminism is not about wanting to be the same as men. Feminism is about wanting the same rights and opportunities in society as men. It’s a simple enough concept I would have thought.

can anyone name me ONE physically attractive feminist?
Yes. But this strategy of insisting that the only people who support feminism must be bitter, undesirable, butch, unattractive, man-haters, is just an attempt to negate the validity of a position by assigning an undesirable description to anyone who takes said position. Any attempt to defend the ‘prettiness’ of feminists would merely appear to endorse your opinion that it actually matters, when really it’s just an immature argument that is not worthy of response.

Hegel > Marx> Lenin> Stalin

But were they pretty?

I would like to know if the women reading this post feel comfortable with germaine greer representing them…
‘Female’ is not a gang, and it’s not a cult… it’s a gender. Germaine Greer does not think for me, nor represent me… any more than does anyone else, whether or not they also happen to have a vagina.
…and explaining the feminine experience?
Feminism aims to make sure that being female doesn’t mean having less rights than being male. Feminism did not reduce the rights of men… apart from removal of men’s previously existing rights to lawfully oppress/own women. Is that what anti-feminists find so objectionable? Do they seek a reversal of the changes ushered in by feminism, such as a reinstatement of the right to use the cane on their wife if she disobeyed, being able to force her to have sex and be confident the law won’t recognise it as rape, or being able to regard her as property? Or is just that they liked it better when they had a clearer advantage because women had less rights and opportunities than men with regards to education, voting, employment, legal protections, etc? I can only assume that strenuous objectors to equality must prefer the notion of inequality.

As for claims that Greer’s words messed with people’s ability to relate to the opposite gender. Personally, I tend to think that anyone who actually became confused about their role in life, or how to interact with their own partner, as a result of the written opinions of someone else (let alone someone they claim not to agree with) must have been pretty gormless to begin with. I suspect that being gormless is far more likely to be a significant liability in a relationship than reading Greer.
 Swanniie
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/7/2013 1:39:02 AM
My connection between Ms Plowman and Ms Greer is something that although became an association in my mind, was not meant to be up for such in depth analysis...
light humour for those who think that way.. not a serious theory to present for argument.
 Spicyhandmodel
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/7/2013 7:39:02 PM
Lets not forget that , on youtube, there is a vid of Germaine suggesting that if a father kisses his daugther/son on the head before going to bed, he is sexualising the child, but if the mother is not if she does this.

I'd say she has hatred towards men from that comment.
 Moon_Rocket
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 4:19:23 PM

I'd say she has hatred towards men from that comment.

I agree 100% (See message No 4)
 Swanniie
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/9/2013 5:52:02 AM
that comment is messed up.
I wonder how different feminism would be if Ms Greer was excluded/ never existed as a femminist?
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:51:36 AM
http://imgur.com/U3j9GYu

^ Because any opinion opposing almighty superior feminism is ZOMG misogyny.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Germaine would be so proud.