Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 162
Adjusting to the Technology intrusion and the expectation of good manners?Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
^^^^^^

I had that happened at a party I threw as a teenager and I tell you there was no social media at the time! Just good old word of mouth and there were plenty more people than could possible fit in the house. (One estimate was in the 1000 range) Yep, the police were, called, yep the neighbours told my parents, yep I got in tons of trouble. (more trouble than I had ever been in)

So let's not blame social media and electronics for the bad choices of stupid teenagers :)
 MsMicki
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Adjusting to the Technology intrusion and the expectation of good manners?
Posted: 5/6/2014 5:34:22 AM

So let's not blame social media and electronics for the bad choices of stupid teenagers :)

Agreed!
But now they post their stupid choices for the world to see.....and it's not just teenagers!!
The things I see "adults" do is just as ridiculous!!
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2014 10:15:44 AM
+1 ^^^^

I have yet to see any age corner the market on stupid.
 the_regency
Msg: 165
Posted: 5/6/2014 11:32:40 AM
Speaking of social media, I saw an article in the newspaper about an incident that happened in a city about an hour from me over the weekend that's becoming a very familiar story. Some kid (didn't say if he was HS or college age) decided to have a house party and got parental approval to have the party at their house. He posted the plan for the party on social media (facebook, twitter, and who knows what other media), thinking there would be a handful of kids who would actually show up. You guessed it-about 2,000 people showed up, the cops had to be called to end the party after neighbor complaints, people were arrested for assaulting police and public intoxication, and there was approximately $70,000 worth of damage done to the house. I wonder if the kid is saying "Thank you social media and all of my facebook friends".

A strong indicator of how unhealthy is social media, more and more teen-agers and even some adults here in the forums don't know the difference btwn friends and facebook friends. Hence the crazy party scene. That's what happens when you invite people who you thought were friends but are people you don't really know, people who don't even respect your property.
 forums1
Msg: 166
Posted: 5/6/2014 1:10:04 PM

Agreed!
But now they post their stupid choices for the world to see.....and it's not just teenagers!!
The things I see "adults" do is just as ridiculous!!

I'm glad I was a teenager before social media and the like (heck, before the internet ), so there's no history/pictures of all the stupid sh*t I did back then all over the world. I know enough now to hopefully be doing less stupid stuff, and not broadcasting it to the world like its "cool" when I do.
 forums1
Msg: 167
Posted: 5/6/2014 1:16:13 PM

Never. I'm still determined to find a place that sells or rents movies on VHS tapes or a music store that has my favorite albums on 8 track tape. I would consider upgrading to cassette tape though if I can't find a store close to me that has 8 track tapes. I've already upgraded my telephone to a more modern version. I can now buy a telephone in different colors, instead of the standard black that every telephone was.

Hey, I still have vinyl albums (and the turntable to play them, a few hundred albums)... and VHS tapes and a VHS player too. Library book sales... they have them yearly to raise money, a couple years back I found some classical albums (Bach, Beethoven, etc) that looked like they'd never been played... and yeah, they sometimes have 8-tracks there (if you can find a player anywhere). I gave up my black rotary dial phone a long time ago though.
 MsMicki
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2014 8:02:49 PM
^^ One of the Vets that I work with still has a rotary phone!!
Says it's worked just fine all these years and sees no need for anything different!
He loves to rub it in that it works when the electricity is out and it always has 5 bars! LOL
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 169
Posted: 5/6/2014 8:30:57 PM

This is the era of Facebook, "social media" is an oxymoron, it does not encourage social skills,

Which is why I refer to it as "anti-social media".

Social?
It's just letters (not even full words) on a screen, and the users are often annoying the people around them (lights, clicking, etc) in the most inappropriate places (movie theaters, concert halls, churches, lectures).
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 170
Posted: 5/6/2014 8:59:13 PM
Social media has its usefulness, but the constant attention whoring via "selfies" and constant updates designed to get people's reactions has grown old. I'm watching adults revert back to junior high school mentality, something I happily left behind years ago. Chalk me up to another old fart who has embraced technology but is so, so happy I had a normal, happy, technology free free dating life back in the 80's. It was really cool.
 moraima
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2014 9:32:46 PM
I am sure I am not the only one who lives in an area where I only get cell service about half of the time.
A rotary phone is necessary to tuck away and be brought out during weather events that takes out power. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a rotary phone for emergencies.

I think it is weird the amount of people who post on social media constant updates, or who text constantly about nothing. It is almost like "I must exist because I am constantly reminding people that I am still here in texts and social media.

My cell phone is mostly used for text when I am away internationally. If I am meeting up with people, I leave cell phone on before the meet in case they/I may be delayed. If I am out on a date, or dinner with friends, unless a call is very important, I expect people to be brief and excuse themselves if necessary so that they can spend their time with who is present. Fortunately, my friends are like minded.

Those who think that people who don't use cell phones multiple times a days need to get with the technology don't get that not all of us need/want to be a phone call away from all and sundry. If people can't leave a message and wait to receive a reply at my convenience that is their problem.

All this attempted peer pressure to get everyone to be glued to their cells and social media is boring.
 the_regency
Msg: 172
Posted: 5/6/2014 10:28:25 PM
Those who think that people who don't use cell phones multiple times a days need to get with the technology don't get that not all of us need/want to be a phone call away from all and sundry. If people can't leave a message and wait to receive a reply at my convenience that is their problem.

All this attempted peer pressure to get everyone to be glued to their cells and social media is boring.

Millions if not billions are spent in advertising communication gadgets and such. The angle is....the more you buy, own and tote along with you, the cooler you are. And it's working....no cell phone = dinosaur, in our society.

Takes time for people to "get it" that I'm a country girl and have never cared much for telephone chatting much less being tethered to a mobile one. Sounds like hell to me. Dam thing going off whilst I'm having fun and disrupting my reverie. Hell no. Thank goodness I live and work out of range, that fact helps the "borg" comprehend why I'm not assimilated and I get a free pass.

But you couldn't pay me enough to carry one even if I did live in range.
 the_regency
Msg: 174
Posted: 5/14/2014 4:43:38 PM
^^^Apparently there are, and they don't consider it rude. Instead they think you a dinosaur. A friend of mine is emergency response admin, whenever he is on call he let's me know ahead of time and still apologizes when it rings and he needs to speak for a few minutes. Because it's an interruption, and we should have all learned that interrupting someone is rude, but apparently some here think that has all changed and it's a free for all, manners out the window if you have a cell. And if it's a smart phone you are elevated to being above all other when it comes to broadcasting mundane chit chat. First dates are no exception. Welcome to the era of narcissism.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 175
Posted: 5/14/2014 4:56:03 PM
There have been so many responses where the dreaded "what if" scenarios have been tossed about as a means of justifying the "what if" scenarios of cell phone usage, but the point I made in my OP deals with a specific situation - A FIRST DATE.

First date, 5th date, 500th date, it doesn't really matter, if the situation requires the phone to be answered, the situation requires it. Now that it where it gets sticky, just what are the situations. I am guessing they would be slightly different for each person. To be honest if me answering the phone when I am on a date and on call is an issue, then we are not a good match.

There was a reason my post subject said "adjusting to the technology intrusion", in that I understand that the technology is here to stay, but after reading the last 4-5 pages of replies I have to again ask: Is there anyone here who would honestly ask me to "adjust" and "accept" rude cellphone usage or the associated poor manners when it comes to the all important first date?

I know I certainly wouldn't accept poor manners in regards to any behaviour but this is where the problem lies. The definition of what is rude and what is appropriate or inappropriate seems to be a big part of the issue. Some seem to define any use of the dreaded cell phone outside of the home as rude and inappropriate (not sure what the use of the cell phone is if you can't use outside of the house). Other's have embraced the technology and the freedom it gives them. Now let's get to the few. Those are the ones who use the phones inappropriately and as I stated much earlier in the thread, I walked out on one of those kind of dates. IMO, the people who are rude and disruptive with their cell phones are the same personality types who displayed rude and disruptive behaviours long before cell phone existed.

Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 176
Posted: 5/14/2014 6:25:09 PM
I bought my 1st cell phone in the 90's, before that I had a pager. I owned a small trucking company at the time & after losing 1 to many loads because I couldn't find a place to park the truck and/or a working pay phone, I got a cell phone. 1 extra load a month would pay for the cell phone. Working construction trucking is seasonal & during the slow months, I would go out to breakfast with a friend who also owned a trucking company. Sometimes during those meals he or I would get a call. That call might mean a days work or even months of work.

Now 20 years later, try and find a working pay phone other than at someplace like an airport. they've gone the way of the dinosaurs.....
 MsMicki
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2014 5:25:09 AM
Voicemail is a cool little perk of a cell phone...
I will never understand this "need" to have to answer each and every call or text Immediately.

Yes, I consider it rude to be texting or answering calls on a date, or even just dinner with a friend.
 Maleman999
Msg: 178
Posted: 5/15/2014 8:52:41 AM
If somebody was to use their smartphone to play a video game while on a date or out with a friend, would that be considered rude? To me, that isn't much different than taking a call or reading and responding to a text from a friend or relative who just wants to babble because they're bored.
 to_tashi
Msg: 179
Posted: 5/15/2014 9:40:33 AM
When I used to go on dates, I would leave my cell phone in my purse. Granted, I would always know if I get a phone call. I would usually ignore it though.

With my current bf, when we went on our first date, we both left our phones out of the way. I didn't see him taking it out of his pocket once. Even now, 6 months later, every time we're out on a date or together, he would not answer his phone or texts. Often times he would leave it in the car. But, of course there are times where we would sit there and text. Lol. But on first date, no phones.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >