Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 29
Catfish MTVPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Real old? 2 or 3 years isn't "real old" I am actually big and more muscular now, than in the pic. I just don't like taking pics. I have met numerous people from this site, and nobody has ever said, "gee, you don't look like your pics" so stop being a hater.
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 30
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/26/2013 9:11:06 AM
If you like someone, and that person says they will only talk to guys, age 21-32, and you are over that age range. so, what, you can't talk to her? Is that fair? So many men will lie in order to get their foot in the door, that would have been other wised closed. Those who say its wrong to lie about someones age, well, its also wrong to not date or not talk to someone because of age. If people are going to judge by age, then people will lie about it.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 7:55:45 AM
I saw an episode that a guy was talking to someone he thought was a transexual. He was very upset that she was actually born a woman and had a child. But yet, he lied about his pics and didn't understand what the big deal was. She was very forgiving...and decided to be a lesbian after all.

I just saw that yesterday!
Did he really told her that the only reason he is talking to her because she was sending him money???
Paying his cell phone bill?? Did I heard it right???
And yeah, I guess he was looking to find something under her skirt, but when the truth came out, he was out..LOL

I stick to my own personal rules - if I have an interest I prefer to meet quickly.

That is my rule as well.

If you like someone, and that person says they will only talk to guys, age 21-32, and you are over that age range. so, what, you can't talk to her? Is that fair? So many men will lie in order to get their foot in the door, that would have been other wised closed. Those who say its wrong to lie about someones age, well, its also wrong to not date or not talk to someone because of age. If people are going to judge by age, then people will lie about it.

Well, fair or not, if she is looking for a guy between he ages of 21-32 and he is over that age range, than no he can't talk to her!
So sure you can "get your foot in the door", but what will happen when she finds out?
You really banking on that by that time she can't say no to you?? Pfftttt..
And it is wrong to talk to someone because of her age!
If she is under age it would be wrong for me to talk to her..On a "dating site" I mean.
But I guess those guys who get caught on a show called "To catch a predator", and show up to have sex with an underage girl who tells them that she is 13 don't think so.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 32
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 9:42:55 AM
The people who suspend belief and common sense due to their own desperation are the "Suckerfish."
Without them, there are no targets for all the "sounds too good to be true" scenarios.
As per our cultural bias, the "suckerfish" are portrayed as blameless victims.
Maybe computer monitors should be required to have a sticker (like a warning label on coffee that it might be "hot") - stating "Not for the use of stupid, greedy and easily manipulated morons who have nothing better to do than live out a fantasy that is only occurring in their own head."
Oops! I guess that would wipe out all the WOW and Dungeon and Dragons websites!

P.S. The guy who got his show produced (Nev), was originally accused of knowing his episode of being "catfished" was a hoax, but he went along with it anyway, to manipulate his audience and milk it for all the attention and TV time he could get. Who was the real "catfish?"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/lawsuit-seeks-expose-truth-catfish-55969?miss=1

Here's other threads:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14210044.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15820873.aspx
 spot4username
Msg: 33
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 10:05:14 AM
The people on that show are stupid. I'm sorry. You can think I'm mean if you want to but they are just flat out dumb.

SNL did a Catfish parody last night. Just watched it on youtube. lololololol
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 34
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 10:15:38 AM
Since this is a dating site, this site is responsible for any underage girls coming on. Not me. I assume everyone on here is 18. And yes. If you lie about your age, sure, when they find out, they may dump you on the spot. But, many times they don't. They realize age is unimportant. I know many guys that have lied to girls about their age. many times they might have been a little angered at first, but realized the guy only did it, to get around her discriminatory age range.

I was talking girls 18+, not 13 yr olds.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 35
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 10:50:08 AM
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQRKuXtk1s&feature=youtube_gdata_player
 spot4username
Msg: 36
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 11:09:24 AM

Check out this video on YouTube:

That was fantastic!! I almost peed when he pulled out the UNO card. So random!
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 37
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 12:09:35 PM

1) If the person doesn't have photos and you ask for them, and if they hesitate....good chance there is a reason for that

If they "hesitate"? Some may not have some lying around... I would say that if they keep coming up with excuses not to, don't waste your time with them and walk. But if they hesitate, ie they have to dig them up, fine -- just don't spend your time delving into them -- just wait until they got some ready to send you. And it's not just having A picture -- but one has to be a decent assessor on photos.

2) Try and do as much research as you can online about the person you are talking with, nothing wrong with "googling" their name and see what comes up....checking white pages.com, spokeo, or intellius will check accuracy of age and approximate location

That's too much. You may do that if something's up, they seem too good to be true and things smell fishy, but for some reason, you don't want to waste the potential opportunity even though it's a small chance. Some people have pretty common names and those things aren't entirely accurate, so it could throw you off, too. IMO, waste of time in any situation that's not wack.

3) Facebook is a good way to see what they are about

Yes and no. Some people have their close friends & family on there. Can be a little too much too quick to bring them in their social circle. People's comfort zones vary. But you shouldn't count on it or think something's up -- nor should you try to FB-friend them before you've even met, at the risk of coming off too clingy/strong.

4) Don't meet too soon, get to know them online or by phone for a little bit first....but if they wait too long to suggest it, there also might be a reason for that (they are hiding something)

I agree with the 2nd part, but not so much the first part. Meet in person as quickly as you can. Sometimes that won't be for over a week after the first couple days of emailing -- sometimes it can be within 24 hours of your initial banter. Don't push to meet too soon, yes. But don't avoid it either. One should get it out of the way and not waste their time playing Columbo to someone in cyberspace.

5) If someone acts vague and mysterious, that is not sexy!! it's just kinda creepy

Well that's kind of a vague statement, actually. :) Someone can have a little mystery to them, and especially when asked particular things and the person's not comfortable giving out details about themselves that crosses their comfort zone, they will understandably be a bit vague. Some people can be a little shy about their personal lives/comfort zone -- don't mistake that for a crazy person or faker. You're not a police detective -- the world doesn't revolve around you, so you shouldn't get carried away with the mentality of "protecting myself". That can come off as creepy, too. :)

6) I read somewhere that 1 out of 10 profiles on dating sites are fake, so chances are you will come across at least one

I guess if you took all profiles from non-mainstream sites it'd probably be worse than that, as some have far more than half of them fake. But If you were to combine all, sure, I guess that could be true. But on POF, Cupid, and Match, there's not that many fake profiles. With that said though, there's probably more than 1 out of 10 that is lying about something. :) Or you could say on the mainstream sites, 1 out of 10 is lying about something significant (but not fake). But that's something that would never be considered for Catfish though.

To sum it up, I was recently fooled and I wasted 5 months on someone that is really fake. So I can totally relate to this show LOL

Like what? If you talk to someone for 5 months and cut down your dating options to a halt or even to a minimum, without meeting that person -- nobody needs a laundry list of to-do items to keep things in check. It's really basic. If you haven't met them, don't put any emotional eggs in that basket. Get a picture if they don't have one... meet as soon as possible and don't wait it out. Don't get sucked into excuses on not being able to meet YET still having time to chat & talk on the phone a lot. Pretty basic 101 stuff.

And if you do meet and they don't have a working phone or can never answer their phone during key hours of the day/evening -- they're either cheating on a significant other or they're not interested. Either way, they're not that interested in you, and you walk.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >