Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What to say on the first message?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 103
view profile
History
What to say on the first message?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
as if everything you ask someone has to be personalized.

I don’t know, maybe there are women who like generic, random conversations. I actually don’t think that “everything” needs to be personalized, especially if what you;re doing works for you. That’s fantastic.

Asking about aliens is no more harmless than asking what someone's favorite breakfast cereal is. But some women will just think its insincere and move on to the guy that ask what the do for fun when its already on their profile.

It’s really not about it being harmful or harmless. If it's out of context it may seem insincere to them. just a fact, an educated guess as to why they may not feel engaged. That's all. Nothing personal.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 104
view profile
History
What to say on the first message?
Posted: 2/9/2014 7:09:54 PM
Forget all that! Seriously, what's important is NOT what you say in the first message IF you aren't picking out the people who are likely to have some potential interest. You'd do better to spend your time figuring out the type of people who tend to interested/attracted to you. Once you figure that out, the rest is fairly easy.

I've had fantastic, intricate, witty messages from men I have absolutely NO interest in whatsoever. Women don't date messages, they date MEN! You can craft the most fantastic messages but if you're not sending them to the right people, it won't matter how good your message is.

That really is the bottom line, so spend your time learning what type of people are attracted to you if you can't figure that out Cyrano couldn't draft a message good enough to get a reply.
 traveltrekker
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/9/2014 7:13:08 PM

"I would like to take you shoe shopping. My treat."
 patchman1313
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/9/2014 10:19:40 PM
Incorporate something related to her profile or interests and ask a question about it. Like, "So, what's your favorite book by that author?" or "I also love horror movies , what's your favorite horror movie of all time?" And it still probably won't work. Never mind.

ATB Patchman
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 107
Posted: 2/9/2014 10:40:06 PM

And it still probably won't work. Never mind. ATB Patchman

I was thinking, that's really good advice Patchman, then I got to the end of your post....UGH! :)
==

Mention what you liked about their profile -humorous bit in it, similar interests, etc.

Humor definitely works for me. But, of course, if the person is not the least bit attracted to your photos, I am not sure any message would work.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 108
Posted: 2/12/2014 6:25:59 AM

"turtle soup...", then the first line would be wow youre pretty wierd to have read the title and still opened this, lucky for you i like wierd people

Depending on the mood, I may respond. Definitely an interesting title. :P
==

Or if shes a nurse you can say that you had a nurse give you a shot once and you bet she could do it better than her

^^^Depending on her sense of humor, this might work.....?" ;)
 GJallDay
Msg: 109
Posted: 2/13/2014 1:06:55 PM
^^^^^ at 51 I'm sure you get to deal with way more mature women.
at 25 I'm not as lucky
 patchman1313
Msg: 110
Posted: 2/13/2014 10:34:12 PM
A anarchist, why are you worried about my junk?
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2014 10:54:49 PM

^^^^^ at 51 I'm sure you get to deal with way more mature women.
at 25 I'm not as lucky

At 25 you're damn lucky, I'll gladly take unlucky 25s over lucky 50s
 GJallDay
Msg: 112
Posted: 2/17/2014 8:21:03 PM
perfect 1st message.
"there are two kinds of people on this site. Real and Fake! Which one are you?"
guaranteed to get a reply haha
 TOaks91360
Msg: 113
Posted: 2/17/2014 8:33:29 PM
I can guarantee that a passive aggressive message will get a response. Fast. You know, something along the lines of 'Your enthusiasm is killing me' or 'I can a hear a pin dropping'.

Watch how fast they respond:)
 TOaks91360
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/17/2014 8:34:35 PM
Or, 'I can't believe you visited my profile and didn't say hello. I'm devastated.'
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 115
Posted: 2/17/2014 9:23:21 PM

I meet my late fiancé at a POF event and dated two woman who emailed me first and they had NO photo on their profile

None of those were due to sending initial messages, though. And, chances of success are Much higher for the guy when the girl writes him first.

The old OKC statistics page shows that a non-short emails do have a better response rate. By a small margin. But the time it takes to do so means you're spending more time altogether for the same amount of responses.

Also, I think it depends on age range. If you're hitting up young non-bookworm 18-24 gals -- you don't need to worry about longer emails (which could possibly turn them off). If you're hitting up middle aged women who are sick of mere "His", sure. But you still don't need to write a novel.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 116
Posted: 2/17/2014 9:30:38 PM

If you're hitting up middle aged women who are sick of mere "His", sure. But you still don't need to write a novel.

Gosh CR, when I read this, "middle-aged" it just sounded so old.....man, I'll get use to it. I actually think I am starting to like the shorter messages, BUT, it has to be humorous and witty. At middle-age, I gotta work a little faster now...
:)
 chill78
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/17/2014 9:42:29 PM

Forget all that! Seriously, what's important is NOT what you say in the first message IF you aren't picking out the people who are likely to have some potential interest. You'd do better to spend your time figuring out the type of people who tend to interested/attracted to you. Once you figure that out, the rest is fairly easy.

I've had fantastic, intricate, witty messages from men I have absolutely NO interest in whatsoever. Women don't date messages, they date MEN! You can craft the most fantastic messages but if you're not sending them to the right people, it won't matter how good your message is.

Good point. This along with photos and maybe the profile as well is going to determine if you get a positive reply. For the most part, it's not the content of email. For example, if I have very few common interests with a woman or I clearly don't match the type of man she is looking for ( race, age, religion etc ), then I won't email her.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2014 9:45:07 PM
Long emails may do slightly better that short ones (interesting thought lol) but if you can send 100 short ones verses 30 long ones you will do better numbers and get more dates with shorter ones with the 3-1 send ratio.
 GJallDay
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/17/2014 10:11:34 PM
i like what was said in Msg 135
oh wait that was me 8)
 the_biggavell
Msg: 120
Posted: 2/18/2014 3:50:06 PM
Is it just me, or does any one think its funny that no women ask guys what to say on the first message?

look, if you have found yourself a girls page, and it gives a bunch of rules about how to message her. Move forward, she aint happy with life lol. Look at all the messages before this one. Every woman saying to do this and so that just to say hello on the first message? Not happy.

So guess what? Say what you want to say.
An emotionally available and chill happy girl with hello, so long as you dont look like smeagle or a bridge troll.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What to say on the first message?