Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Why can't single dads get dates???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 furbysarefun
Msg: 180
Why can't single dads get dates???Page 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
They can. I would love to date a single dad.
 SwtCake
Msg: 181
Why can't single dads get dates???
Posted: 6/28/2013 1:18:32 PM
It these times it is hard to tell if men/women are married or not half of them do not wear rings anymore? Maybe their first thought that ahh he is nice he smiled, and then he has kids probably married...

I don't think it is because you have kids, most women over the age of 25 (nowadays have kids too) ; )
 KelMar5726
Msg: 182
Posted: 6/30/2013 10:25:45 AM
I share custody and my son is with me mostly weekends. It is in my profile. I am an older dad with an 11 year old. I met someone here and started a relationship. She tells me one of the things that attracted me to her was the fact I was devoted to my son. It was a juggling act balancing time with her and time with my son and work and life, but it was worth the effort. Then after about 6 weeks she calls and breaks it off saying she did not want to play second fiddle to an 11 year old!
 Tealwood
Msg: 183
Posted: 6/30/2013 12:17:13 PM

She tells me one of the things that attracted me to her was the fact I was devoted to my son. It was a juggling act balancing time with her and time with my son and work and life, but it was worth the effort. Then after about 6 weeks she calls and breaks it off saying she did not want to play second fiddle to an 11 year old!

She thought you a boring cheap skate. Does that sound better?

After 6 weeks....where things I would suggest you have not even gotten going....things are finished...better to learn now than investing time and effort for a few years?

Son with you weekends....perhaps her children were not with her weekends....one finds situations that are compatible and are enticing....

So what is wrong when someone realizes they do not want to be a second fiddle or second in consideration?
 rasec76
Msg: 184
Posted: 7/2/2013 10:48:35 AM
Rubyroo36 exactly i have dated many females and most love children , some dont have any and dont want to make any, and are ok with you having your own becoause at the end of the day they have no ties to you .

very few dont like kids and will never date a man with kids they love the freedom to come and go as they please so men with kids makes them run for the hills.

and then you have the ones whom want kids of their own but will not date someone with kids becaouse of the insecurity of having to share the father of their children to other children.

My kids arre small threfore i have focused on my career and being very involved in the sports they play, i do date from time to time as we all need adult fun. Let me say i am having alot of fun havung the best of both worlds.
 fedupofusers
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2013 4:41:16 AM
im single mum of 4 , i been through so much in past so stayed single for ages now but i want date single dad ,men without kids arnt for me makes me wunder why they want know someone with kids , but finding single dad who lives nearish me is hard the ones i do know theres just no spark there,n all i get on my messages on here is ppl who just after one nighters or i think are to good for me lol
 fedupofusers
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2013 4:42:46 AM
u am right there in my past i went with badboys ive had it bad so now after long time single i think its time find a nice single dad really cant be doing the badboys anymore
 yerkiddinrite
Msg: 187
Posted: 7/8/2013 12:36:44 PM
I raised my daughter by myself since she was 9, she is now 18, graduated high school and off to college. I am finally in a position to have some freedom in my life. Maybe persue some long forgotten hobbies, etc. that I gave up while I was working two jobs raising her. I don't want to be with a man who has young children, not at all. That doesn't make me an ogre, just someone who has done a good job raising my child with no interest in doing it again.
 dkbmom
Msg: 188
Posted: 7/9/2013 8:25:48 AM
I like dating single dads, especially with teenage/grown children because then I know the topic of whether or not he wants kids isn't likely to be an issue since I don't want anymore.

When I see a man out with kids and he smiles or says hello, I generally assume 1) he's married 2) he's just being friendly. Maybe I should stop assuming! :)
 freelove35
Msg: 189
Posted: 8/6/2013 9:09:09 PM
I seem to have the same problem.....yet with a slight twist.

I am 42 yrs old, and a single dad to a 7 yr old little girl, who lives with me 24/7.

Now here's the twist.....I have never been married, and I adopted my daughter at birth as a single male (i.e. I am not biologically related in anyway).

I seem to encounter 2 separate problems:
#1 Women my age (late 30'2 to early 40's) either don't want children at this stage of their life (or someone elses) or
have teenage or grown up children and don't want to experience the "early years" again.
Sooooo.......I try to make contact with ladies in their early 30's and IF I CAN GET A RESPONSE, really look to
see what we have in common and her "maturity" level (i.e. past the bar and late night partying stage,
responsibilities, etc).

#2 It seems to "freak" most women out that a) I would choose to adopt a child as a single parent and b) what
agency in their right mind would allow a female infant/child to be adopted by a single male?
Like it or not, you'd be amazed at how many people are amazed (and even disgusted) that a single male is able to
adopt a "poor and defenseless" little girl......and some of these people are "professionals" and "well-educated".

I don't mean to sound bitter......because I'm really not. If this is what life has instore for my daughter and I, than so be it. We are happy and have each other, and yes it would be great for me to have a lady to share the rest of my life with and my daughter a female figure as she gets older.....but is it essential........DEFINITELY NOT.
 E9XM3
Msg: 190
Posted: 8/19/2015 6:23:46 PM
Same problem here, people keep comparing it single mothers but it's completely different. Single mothers are the norm it's much harder for a single father to find a date.

I think women need to be first more than a man does, I don't think a man cares what priority he is as long as he's getting what he needs he couldn't care less. Women will try and compete with your kids for attention in my experience.
 sacredrain
Msg: 191
Posted: 8/20/2015 7:13:36 AM

Women will try and compete with your kids for attention in my experience.

Only the really insecure women will do this in my experience. It's a function of age/maturity as well.
 applekey
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2016 3:41:30 AM
I feel your pain brother. Try being 53 years old and having kids who are 9 & 11. For obvious reasons I try to date in my own age range however, most women my age have grandkids my children’s age, and usually their response is, “Been there, done that”. And if you try to meet younger ladies who may have children in common, you’re usually viewed as someone who just wants “arm candy”. In my case, that is not true. Just looking for someone that would accept that I have children as a part of my life. It’s probably a no win situation. Woman say they respect a man who stands up and takes responsibility for his children, but then rejects the idea of dating a man with children. The reality is that cheap online dating site is probably not the place to find a good woman. What’s a man to do, huh?
 BizzaroLand
Msg: 193
Posted: 2/16/2016 10:56:34 AM
There seems to be more and more prostitutes and women just "having fun" on here.
I've heard most of the females on here are actually bored lonely housewives who just are tired of being with the same man and just want to venture out. You might run across several really nice profiles, but 8/10 are just that, lonely girls who just wanna have fun.
They tend to not respond to the guys who actually have a good profile and seem to want something real.
These POF girls stay clear of us good guys. They might look at our profile, but only to find we seem like decent men, then just pass us by.
Online dating is Very Hard for a single dad who's trying to find a decent woman.
 Maleman999
Msg: 194
Posted: 2/16/2016 11:11:29 AM
Msg 229, applekey:
I think your profile is as much of a hindrance to finding someone as the other problems you claim. The majority of your pictures are with other people-whether it's kids or family members. Your profile should be about you and you only. Ditch the family pictures-strangers you never met don't give a damn about your family members at the moment. Show pictures of you only. The only thing you should have about your kids is how many and their ages. That is all that's needed for someone to decide if it;s a deal breaker or not.

The way your profile is currently, it makes it look like you are only looking for a replacement mother for your kids-a nanny. It's no wonder women are saying "Been there, done that" and pass you by. If you want a nanny, hire one.
 BizzaroLand
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/16/2016 11:44:07 AM
Good point. Well said.
But, I still feel that there are more "just wanna have fun" types than "looking for a good man/woman" types on here.
I don't take rejection, or non responses, to heart. I'm just saying all this from my own experience on here.

It's sad that people think just because they have a profile leaning towards wanting a relationship, and has no problem expressing that, that they're ready to jump on the first willing person and dive head first into a committed relationship.
I would love a relationship with the right person, so why not say that. Why do women take that as "desperate"?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 196
Posted: 2/16/2016 1:20:51 PM

Women with many options are going to pick a guy that has NO kids.

Apparently there are few women with many options.

No line at my door.

Or an overflowing inbox.

Many women don't want all the drama that comes with a guy with kids.

And apparently many women don't want the NON-drama that comes with a guy with NO kids.
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2016 1:33:55 PM
TO: Applekey

You have four sisters. They are your best bet to be personally introduced to one of their friends at a party.
Men and women in their 40s and 50s alike, who have very young children, face an uphill struggle with dating.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 198
Posted: 2/16/2016 9:09:09 PM

i just began seeing a man who has a 10 yr old daughter and he just turned 60.

I don't know. My fiance has a 7 and a 13 year-old boys. It's quite an adventure. It makes me feel young, even with all the stress associated with it.

The interesting thing is that where I live you see a lot of older dudes that have younger kids. We dote on them, we appreciate every second with them. So it's a matter of perspective.
 swampyswampy
Msg: 199
Posted: 2/21/2016 6:25:36 AM
deteleddaernu thats pretty much my story . When i was going through contact courts women would ask why doesnt she let you see your daughter what did you do wrong? When i got custody i was asked where is her mother, why dont i let her see her, why have i moved to wales..... Nobody knows my personal circumstances because i never told anyone they just assumed. When i tried to join 2 lone parent groups i was knocked back because the organizers said many of the mothers had suffered sexual, domestic and emotional abuse and having a guy in the group would effect the harmony.... How many times do you read on profession for women stay at home mother? That is acceptable yet when i was working part time has a cleaner i was asked why dont i get myself a better job? My daughter is old enough to look after herself.... It just shows how feminism has destroyed women and society. How many times do we read in the media mother murders children? How many times do you hear a mother say i wish my kids was at school? I cant wait till they old enough to leave home? Children are sen has a burden to modern feminists in fact so are guys unless we have something to offer women they arent interested cus they have little to offer us.....
 LadyInWonderland
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2016 4:22:26 PM

applekey:
"What’s a man to do, huh?"
Either you are now advertising you are no longer seeking dates--congratulations and best wishes to you--or IMHO your presentation would serve you better after some tweaking . If the latter, I suggest an immediate trip to POF profile review forum .
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 201
Posted: 2/23/2016 7:12:26 AM

deteleddaernu thats pretty much my story . When i was going through contact courts women would ask why doesnt she let you see your daughter what did you do wrong? When i got custody i was asked where is her mother, why dont i let her see her, why have i moved to wales..... Nobody knows my personal circumstances because i never told anyone they just assumed.

It's none of their business. Unless you're consideration a relationship with these people, you shouldn't have to explain your family's circumstances to them, especially out of the respect and privacy of your minor child.

When i tried to join 2 lone parent groups i was knocked back because the organizers said many of the mothers had suffered sexual, domestic and emotional abuse and having a guy in the group would effect the harmony....

How about a father's group? or a general parent support group?

How many times do you read on profession for women stay at home mother?

So? Nobody is forcing you to date them. And how they conduct their relationships is none of your business.

That is acceptable yet when i was working part time has a cleaner i was asked why dont i get myself a better job?

Again, they're twats who are compelled to meddle in your financial affairs/ What ****ing business is it of theirs? And why do you concern yourself with such people -- it's wasting your time and time isn't something you can afford to waste. Find somebody who'll accept you as you are.

My daughter is old enough to look after herself.... It just shows how feminism has destroyed women and society.

Do you see the juxtaposition in this statement?

How many times do we read in the media mother murders children? How many times do you hear a mother say i wish my kids was at school? I cant wait till they old enough to leave home? Children are sen has a burden to modern feminists in fact so are guys unless we have something to offer women they arent interested cus they have little to offer us.....

I'm one of these politically modern feminist who respects choice; I'm a homemaker and I work from my home with my own online business. I love children and raised two with much devotion (and at my ripe old age, I would like to have another) --which is why I preferred to stay home (and work from home). I loveee being chained to my stove. I also love cosmetics and I don't go dutch on first dates. Feminism implies the right to choose (and sometimes our choices are challenged by circumstances and others who want to infringe upon that right), and I've chosen this life for myself.

If somebody's an utterly miserable, whiny, sloven human being, what could anybody offer to them to make them happy, anyway? What's the point in trying?
 _GreenJelly_
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2016 11:42:52 AM
Spot on , im a single dad with a 13yr old boy .. Women just dont want too know !
 LatinPhoenix73
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2016 11:23:48 AM
I read through the majority of this forum post with great interest, but of course, like most online forums, the answers are all over the board (with a little trolling here and there.) This message got my attention. I'm 42 with 3 children, 7, 10, and 12. There are many women I run into in my age group whose kids are off in college already, or may be living home with them. I find that the ones with kids over 18 don't want to do it again, while the ones who have kids at home are looking for someone to be accepting of their kids, but aren't willing to open the door the other way. I have still to meet a woman with no kids who's even willing to give someone with kids a shot, but I'm Hispanic and most women around me are white, so it's hard to tell if that's the sole reason why. (All the women I've dated in the last 5 years have been white, but I'm simply stating a statistical fact.)

However, this is not to say we are bereft of hope. I have dated several women over the last few years who don't question the number of kids that I have, or that they live with me full time. Finding them is the proverbial needle in the haystack, but I guess it's patience that pays (with a hint of persistence.) One thing I can say, all the women I've met have been on other sites. (That's the key.) I've been here for years and have yet to meet a single person (yep, pun.) My theory here is simply the entry fee. While other sites are more involved or require payment, this site is free and setup is fast and easy. It's a double edged sword.

I find, particularly when you are near major metropolitan population centers, that there is always someone who, at least on the surface, appears to be a better choice than you. I believe this problem is specific to males, though I won't discount women from this equation.

Ultimately, no matter what your situation, we're all simply victims of the paradox of choice. The answer is to keep trying and be persistent. I think I've sent out over 400 letters in the course of my time here, some ridiculously long, and others no less meaningful. My response rate is something like 75:1. Yet I persist. I get frustrated, I walk away, I come back, I try again. I know one day I'll find someone- if it's not here, it will be elsewhere.

Have faith you awesome single parents!
 LatinPhoenix73
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2016 11:25:05 AM
I was referring to applekey's comment above.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Why can't single dads get dates???