Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The "Catfish"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hair2day_gone2morrow
Msg: 76
The CatfishPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I watched a few episodes of Catfish and it was really sad. The person being duped stuck around because the catfish was a lot hotter than they could normally get in real life. They didn't want to pass up on a great thing. The catfish felt validated and desired, so you saw right away why they stuck around. They're not better looking in person because that would defeat the purpose of the catfishing. They would just present themselves AS IS if they were already attractive. You catfish so you can see what its like to be desired by someone you desire. Some do it to hurt themselves. They don't get a lot of action online, so they want to "prove" that people are superficial and create a profile with an attractive person as bait. They can then feel validated in "proving" people only care about looks. Catfishes are sad people. I would meet guys after talking daily on the phone for 2 weeks. No point in drawing it out.

I alluded to this in another thread.
 PrettyBr0wnEyed1
Msg: 77
The Catfish
Posted: 11/3/2016 3:54:21 AM
I encountered a catfish on here and it wasn't even a romantic connection, but someone that seemed to have insight on videography. Long story short, the person had 2 photos (not saying this is true in every case, but this is what I've noticed to be accurate on here) he asked for my email after a bit of correspondence, which I didn't see issue with.

He deleted his profile shortly after. He sent detailed information about whoever he was portraying himself to be via email using the first and last name of whomever he was portraying. Long story short, the person was completely fake, everything about them was fake - the occupation, their story, but what they tried to do was say that they had seen my images on another site, but could not give details as to what site, where, when, or provide any accurate proof.

That situation happened awhile ago as I've been on and off of here, but I've seen plenty of catfish on here. I'm surprised that Nev and Max haven't put up nets for schools of catfish, because they're swimming all over this site. I've seen many using fake pics from social media. I had one catfish contact me, he initially only had 2 pics. My catfish senses were tingling, but I wanted to see if the person was a catfish. The person asked if I'd been catfished on here, which made me look and I saw that they added more pics, but I google searched to see there were 3 different profiles on here all with the same pics, but all in NC -- CATFISH. I blocked the person.

I even had someone using pics of a fitness trainer from social media. I ended up having correspondence with the person. He confessed to using the guy's pics as a means to bust his cheating fiance who was using the site to meet other men. He deleted the pics and the profile after contacting me. Bottom line, if you sense they're a catfish, 99.9% of the time, they are. Don't even doubt it, because anytime I have, the person has been a catfish. Don't even waste your time corresponding.
 Tenent4ever
Msg: 78
The Catfish
Posted: 11/3/2016 12:15:35 PM
Catfishes are a waste of time
 Maleman999
Msg: 79
The Catfish
Posted: 11/3/2016 3:45:27 PM

When it's on the TV show I think they purposely pick those that will get the most WHOA! when the person is revealed.

I think the show Catfish purposely picks the dumbest people they can find, because how else can you explain that two people are willing to text/send messages back forth-in a lot of cases on a daily basis-for months or years, and whenever one person suggests meeting in person, the other person comes up with a million excuses why it's not a good time to meet. And the person not wanting to meet coincidentally doesn't have skype or any other way of video chatting. Yet the person who has been asking to meet buys the excuses hook, line, and sinker and continues the charade, and puts their life on hold for that person they never met.
 2ufo2
Msg: 80
The Catfish
Posted: 11/3/2016 3:54:57 PM
Reading through this thread makes me more glad than ever that I don't have a TV.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 81
view profile
History
The Catfish
Posted: 11/7/2016 4:42:53 AM
One thing I have used to prove my existence is a photo of myself sitting in front of a computer screen showing my correspondent's last message. It's possible that I could have called someone in, quickly, for a photo shoot, but at least it proves I'm not using a photo off the internet or elsewhere.

I've only once demanded reciprocity, and that was from a blatant fraud who vanished immediately.
ED BEAR
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 82
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 11:06:57 AM
Catfish catch people who are not too bright or just plain desperate. I knew this 5'3" Asian dude who actually convinced himself that he was talking to a Playmate on AIM or MSN. The Playmate asked him for $5K towards medical bills after "she" got into a car accident. I just told him, "You're stupid." He wasn't stupid enough to send him/her/whoever thousands of dollars.

I think it's funnier when men think they're talking to a hot chick and it turns out to be a dude. They were talking all sexual and sending****pix to another man the entire time. People who actually that hot don't typically spend copious amounts of time talking to online strangers.
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 83
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 11:43:08 AM

Catfish catch people who are not too bright or just plain desperate....
I think it's funnier when men think they're talking to a hot chick and it turns out to be a dude. They were talking all sexual and sending****pix to another man the entire time. People who actually that hot don't typically spend copious amounts of time talking to online strangers

And if there was a "Catfish" in the forums, and they were to be found out, I suspect those who were "fished" would be too embarrassed to admit to it, so the Catfish can get away with it for quite some time.
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 84
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 12:01:54 PM

I suspect those who were "fished" would be too embarrassed to admit to it, so the Catfish can get away with it for quite some time.

True, and that also reminds me of why I question the credibility of the MTV show. This catfish has been secretive and elusive for a long time about doing a video-chat or even talking on the phone but all of a sudden they agree to be exposed on national television? LOL!!! The show is entertaining but damn, they go for the bottom of the barrel.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 85
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 12:05:14 PM

And if there was a "Catfish" in the forums, and they were to be found out, I suspect those who were "fished" would be too embarrassed to admit to it, so the Catfish can get away with it for quite some time.

Cannot speak for everyone, but I do know of one person who got taken for I think over $100K.

The scammer was a regular on these forums and so was she.

There was a documentary done about online scammers and she was featured on it.

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episodes//dot-con
 Maleman999
Msg: 86
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 12:33:26 PM
I mentioned on another thread a while back, that the TV show "Catfish" must be looking for the stupidest people in the country to be on the show. How else would you describe people who text/email almost daily for months or years (in one episode, this went on for 10 years), and one person always refuses to meet in person, while the other person still holds out hope of eventually meeting the love of their life and having a fairy tale life together. Some of them propose and talk about wedding plans with someone they never met face-to-face. So I was wondering if any of it is staged, since it seems too idiotic to be real.
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 87
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 12:51:29 PM
A manipulative person knows how to "scam" -sometimes it is not for money but for sport or ego, to prove a point.

That is why I would be very suspect of a person who is excessively using photo shop.
 trinity818
Msg: 88
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 1:47:15 PM

The scammer was a regular on these forums and so was she.

Wasn't he "cdn_iceman"? The poster who actually started the "Trump for President" thread back in April 2011?

He was a "smooth operator". He called all the male posters "sport". The woman was a complete sweetheart. "U make it entertaining". She wasn't the only POF poster who was scammed by him. Not me...but it easily could have been. I made a stupid choice once and was scammed for $1200 by someone I met through POF. Live and learn. The painful way.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 89
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 2:06:43 PM

Wasn't he "cdn_iceman"? The poster who actually started the "Trump for President" thread back in April 2011?

Not sure, but it would follow his posting habits, as he was one of the right wing nut jobs.

It also would not surprise me if he was still on here.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 90
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 2:08:53 PM
"Wasn't he "cdn_iceman"? "

Yes, he was actually a pretty entertaining poster...too bad he turned out to be a SWAMP DONKEY !
 trinity818
Msg: 91
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 2:20:04 PM
^^^

Oh yeah! He used to say that often. "SWAMP DONKEY".

(Great main pic...)
 tomfiend
Msg: 92
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 2:27:39 PM
Is it really hard to be scammed? The stock market scams people all of the time....only those scammers wear ties and jackets and come with fancy degrees. A good portion of the Trump supporting public believe Bill and Hillary are responsible for bodies buried all over Washington. Can you say gullible simpletons? Trump has been one huge Grifter since the beginning and look at how many have been scammed.

Our entire country is into scamming...that is the way it now works. The advertising industry, the food companies, the financial markets, even the damn medical industry (not to mention the legal industry) ...any idea how many unnecessary surgeries in the world......come up with lots of innovative ways to manipulate and steal your hard earned dollars.

The insurance companies are experts at committing fraud and stealing your money.

Congress has been stealing your money forever, now wants to steal your medicare and SS benefits you worked for also.

CDN man was small potatoes.

The very biggest scammers work on Wallstreet, and they are far more likely to steal huge amounts of your money than the low level CDN's of the world.

Just sayin.
 cooldog65
Msg: 93
view profile
History
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 6:40:17 PM
Reality TV is mostly staged with a dash of reality. The show "Catfish" is as staged as the rest.
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 94
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 8:12:04 PM

Wasn't he "cdn_iceman"?

This ****er?

http://glennwhitter.com/

Damn, he has his own URL and everything!
 LOLTrump
Msg: 95
The Catfish
Posted: 3/21/2017 8:18:07 PM

Damn, he has his own URL and everything!

Read the page.

The person who he scamed took over all his URL's and posted that to it.

From web site:

There is far more to the story, which will be made available in time.

This website will be kept active, however under the domain names of
www.glennwhitter.com and www.glennwhitter.ca with updates as they become available.

To date there have been over 30 women who have notified the RCMP, with a total of over $500,000 scammed.

Anyone wishing to share their story, please click here.

Let’s pray that justice prevails, and NO MORE women have to financially suffer under this man’s shenanigans.

Whitter needs to be STOPPED, AND pay the price for his wrong doings. Incarceration is justice.

If you have a story or information that you would like posted on this website, please click here. Be assured that your name will not be used.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.

Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 96
The Catfish
Posted: 3/22/2017 6:03:28 AM

NO MORE women have to financially suffer under this man’s shenanigans

I am sorry this happened, but...

why did these women fork over their $ ???

No one forced them, they chose to participate.

No one "had to" do anything.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 97
The Catfish
Posted: 3/22/2017 7:29:12 AM

why did these women fork over their $ ???

One of two reasons, empathy and or greed.

With respect to greed, it many times it is a promise of a bigger reward that hooks people in.

You do this and in turn you will get that.
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 98
The Catfish
Posted: 3/22/2017 7:38:38 AM

One of two reasons, empathy and or greed.

With respect to greed, it many times it is a promise of a bigger reward that hooks people in.

You do this and in turn you will get that.

Then they were accomplices or willing participants not victims.

IMO if he did not put a gun to their head or hack into their bank accounts, he did not steal. These women were naïve/foolish and handed it over.
 Maleman999
Msg: 99
The Catfish
Posted: 3/22/2017 7:39:09 AM

No one forced them, they chose to participate.
No one "had to" do anything.

I wonder the same thing when I hear of someone being duped out of money-especially if it's someone they haven't actually met in person, but instead, have a fantasy image of the person on the internet. Who is at fault if people willingly hand over money to a stranger? If a pan handler approaches me and other people and says he wants money to buy food, but ends up buying booze or drugs instead, should he be charged with fraud?
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 100
The Catfish
Posted: 3/22/2017 1:08:43 PM
Like I said before, these perpetual catfish especially are going after people who are lonely, dumb and desperate. Those women that Glenn duped were vulnerable and fragile.

I just learned about a guy who was overweight, unattractive and lived in his parents' basement who used a male model's photos and got hundreds of hot girls via Tinder to send him naked pictures and videos. If only those girls saw who was really masturbating and drooling to their videos. *retching* Not only that but these chicks were dumb enough to put their faces in the photos and videos.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The "Catfish"