Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The "Catfish"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tomfiend
Msg: 112
The CatfishPage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Actually, the classic scams these days are the counterfeit check scams....you get a valid looking counterfeit certified check for some reason...somebody is buying your car, or you are a secret shopper, or even a lawyer .... put the check in your bank... you are immediately given access to the funds via Federal Law for certified checks... you refund a good portion of the check to the scammer.... check turns out to be no good....you are on the hook.
 forumslady
Msg: 113
The Catfish
Posted: 3/23/2017 6:24:38 PM
Tomfiend- I just got one of those a couple of weeks ago.
"You have been chosen as a secret shopper. We are looking to get in US markets, we wan't you to go to a list of stores we send you to and after you go, you will be paid even more. Simply cash this check and we'll send you the list, blah blah."
I shredded it and then threw it away.
Unreal.
 razors_edge55
Msg: 114
view profile
History
The Catfish
Posted: 3/23/2017 6:32:08 PM
sorry miss candy tried to message on the QT my profile suggestion but your fire wall burnt me ,,ouch
 tomfiend
Msg: 115
The Catfish
Posted: 3/24/2017 7:36:51 AM
Forumslady...many people are taken in by the scam. A few lawyers lost a few hundred thousand in the check scam.... scams are just too many to count...advance loan schemes. .etc. My mom in the last year of her life was taken for a few thousand in the granny scheme. Even after she told me she sent money via money gram, I couldn't convnice her she had been scammed..until she actually spoke with her grandson......and in her younger years she was very sharp....would have laughed at the scammer. These scammer are predators.

Just for kicks set up a virtual machine on my computer and allow the tech scammers to remote control in......they have all sorts of ways of trying to get your money.

Believe nobody when they ask for money unless you know you are dealing g with a legitimate person. The sale of trump and Ryan show how easy it is to fool people.
 forumslady
Msg: 116
The Catfish
Posted: 3/24/2017 1:32:38 PM
Tomfiend-"My mom in the last year of her life was taken for a few thousand in the granny scheme."
I'm sorry that happened to your mom, that's awful. As I said to Walts, there's a special place in he'' for people who prey on the elderly.
I'm not sure you've seen me talk about being raised by my grand parents, but because of that, I respect and feel protective of elderly people.
Why do you think more/stricter laws aren't being passed to find these people and put them in jail for a LONG time?
I know there are laws already, but these types of crimes don't seem to be very high priority. Perhaps if they were, things would change and we would at least see less of it.
 gtomustang
Msg: 117
The Catfish
Posted: 3/24/2017 2:27:59 PM
"..raised by my grandparents....I feel protective of elderly people"

>>>my best friend has a lot of pets, so she focuses on people who abuse them, I took care of my parents, so elderly care abuse catches my eye. I think we're all ultra-sensitive of what we're most familiar with. I know my state has mandatory reporting if hospitals etc see clues, don't know how other states handle that. As more Baby Boomers fall into these scenarios, perhaps AARP will petition for more laws/restrictions. Then again, a certain political party runs hard on getting rid of government agencies that protect the public, like the EPA. Who could be lining their pockets against such things?

http://www.blackpressusa.com/lawmakers-lobbyists-attack-obamas-consumer-protection-agency/
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 118
The Catfish
Posted: 3/24/2017 2:56:34 PM

sorry miss candy tried to message on the QT my profile suggestion but your fire wall burnt me ,,ouch

whaddya mean, jellybean?

you would like me to change my profile?

"BUILD A UTERINE WALL" !
 tomfiend
Msg: 119
The Catfish
Posted: 3/24/2017 2:57:17 PM
There are laws... but these people hide their tracks... When you pay by Moneygram...very hard to trace. All the recipient needs is the name and account number to retrieve.....and lots of time they are outside the US...in my Mom's case... the moneygram was sent to Canada, but not unusual from a scam to arise overseas. Think of the one where a friend has email hacked and then you get an email from friend stuck in a European city, whose wallet was stolen, and they need you to lend them money so they can get out of there and return home and they need your help.

I've played with a few scammers in my days...they always wanted money sent by moneygram or wired to an account with a false name... or the IRS scammers want you to pay via a prepaid gift card... and people actually do it.

In a few week period, I collected, as a project, several counterfeit checks in the amounts of $200K to $400K. The more of a sucker they think you are, the more brazen they become. The theory being I was to deposit the certified checks.... take my fee, and wire the difference to the scammer.....

I also had Nigerian and Lagos scamsters believing I was on a plane to meet them at an airport with boatloads of cash on me. Something always happened though where I could not catch the plane or the cash was confiscated by law enforcement and I couldn't make the flight and they waited for nothing.

Of course, they hid their true identities from me.... and I hid mine from them...using a fake passport photo and name so they thought they knew who they were dealing with.

Yes . . . . I can be cruel like that.... but since they were trying to scam me, I didn't feel that bad about it.
 forumslady
Msg: 120
The Catfish
Posted: 3/24/2017 4:19:50 PM
tomfiend- Now that I think about it, I had forgotten that my sister's ex got taken in the check scam, that was years ago and I'm pretty sure he learned his lesson.

What you explained makes perfect sense. I hear/read about the foreign schemes. It's not that I'm naive and don't know these things happen, it's just that I could never do such a thing. I'm not heartless.
What you said about being cruel, no way, don't say that, turn about is fair play and they deserve it.

@gto- You are right about Trump. What would he care about scam's, heck he could give scammers lessons.
As far as your friend, I'm protective of animals too.
I've had dogs as pets for most of my life. I promote, and donate to, causes that protect them (and other animals).
The last two dogs I adopted came from the pound.
Sadly, one I had to put down because he got old and sick and it would have been cruel to let him suffer, but I still have the other one.
I'm forever encouraging people to adopt from pounds.
In addition to the elderly and animals, my main cause and what I get most upset about is the mistreatment of children.
I'm not a saint, far from it, but as long as I live I will always do what I can to help the most vulnerable in our society.
 Just-a-Kissing
Msg: 121
view profile
History
The Catfish
Posted: 8/14/2017 10:57:36 AM
There is nothing wrong with my cousin - She is a hot young thing - beautiful woman
 hakkata
Msg: 122
The Catfish
Posted: 8/14/2017 1:34:56 PM
^^^ two posts in seven years?

By the way, I like your photo so I upped the ante....
 Dvljet
Msg: 123
view profile
History
The Catfish
Posted: 8/29/2017 8:12:15 PM
Here's a new scam and I have informed pof of it . It seems the fakes build multiple profiles then they email you saying get verified at this pof affiliated site which when you check it out it has nothing to do with pof but does ask for your credit card . Here's the sad truth about these verify sites their a load of trash because it's impossible to verify if someone's legal age because even under aged kids have credit cards . Also it's a scam because they charge you if you don't cancel . The thing that annoys me the most is these people go and ruin the legit people's experience because how are legit people supposed to trust others .
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The "Catfish"