Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Definition of financially secure      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 leyrob
Msg: 26
Definition of financially securePage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I have to answer this My parents who were married 65 yrs had one pot and every thing went into it to pay what ever any thing left went on the children us , i was lucky to see real love and marriage, to think that that this is guy-is saying is kinda right if money is more inportant than ,,, being together in love come what may , i agree move on
 Accabella
Msg: 27
Definition of financially secure
Posted: 1/28/2013 7:51:02 PM

If someone mentions finances in their profile, or being stable, looking for a stable whatever, skip to the next one. May not be fullbown prostitutes or gold-diggers, but they're obviously fixated on money.

I've been burnt once before and almost wiped out financially by a man and it will not happen again. In my profile I state, "I am a homeowner and fiscally responsible (as I hope you are)." This does not mean I'm fixated on money. It only means that I'm not a flake with my finances and any potential match won't be either.

notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/28/2013 8:05:31 PM
Loneeagle- Financially secure is being both financially stable and responsible.

Generosity is wanting to give and share without expecting anything in return/ unselfish. Wanting to help out or share with the people you care about. Generosity can be shown or given with time and effort, not just monetarily.
 12thour
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/28/2013 10:38:27 PM
you don't live in the woods

you don't live in a home on wheels

you don't live with your parents

you don't have a roommate because you have to just to get by

you don't have to borrow money from your parents

you can take them out on a date without a coupon

that is just a few
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:45:31 AM
To me, "financially secure" would mean you have enough saved to live without income for at least 6 months, in case of emergency. Being able to handle financial emergencies is security; having to worry about something like that is insecurity.
 _EmpireOfTheSun
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/29/2013 5:33:13 AM
Some of the women who looking for "financially secure" are not good with money themselves.

So I wouldn't read too much into it.
 mrcs84
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2013 6:13:53 AM
To me, financially secure means that your savings account gets larger at the end of each month.
 JGirlSD
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/29/2013 6:43:32 AM
Funny to read these comments.

It makes me chuckle when people put comments like 'looking for stable, financially secure" in their profiles. Do you think that someone who doesn't fit those descriptions would actually admit it? It doesn't matter how you define the words, people will lie.

I know people who are up to their noses in debt trying to look like they have it and those who live pretty simple who actually do have it....so really, you can't tell from appearance OR from words. People lie...

So, I try to be wary of men who are looking for a "financially secure" woman because to me that says several things, one...they value money more than who the woman really is or they also have been burnt by a woman before and may be bitter.

It doesn't matter how much someone makes it matters what they do with it
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/29/2013 7:04:30 AM
Why would you ignore a profile that states they are financially secure. I know I don't want anyone in debt, can't pay a mortgage, or in one case i had....not even able to open a checking account!

I am older, and want that in a partner. I don't have time to mess around. I ask of that in my profile.
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:21:19 AM
I would suggest that the definition of "financial security" is up to the individual - and based upon that individual's social, economic and educational background, and honed by his/her life experiences and most of all "luck".

On a dating site, I would suggest that worrying about "financial security" is a negative thing. Given that "money does not buy happiness", this trait in a person should not be a top consideration.

And anyway... one can say anything here on POF. You are going to have to meet the person in real life and get to know them a little before you start to get a feel for their true character.
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/29/2013 6:25:05 PM
It means you're not a dead beat but also that you're financially responsible and debt free. But what's sufficient for one person may not satisfy another. It also means your net worth grows faster than your spending or that you're living below your means and having a decent life.
 dcinsc13
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/29/2013 7:44:59 PM
I would like a man who is financially secure too!
I am 50 years old, I don't want a man who needs money!!!
I enjoy working, but I don't want to work all my life.
It would be nice to enjoy some of the last years of my life with a good man by my side.
I am not a gold digger!!!
I am not materialistic at all!
I would rather travel and have fun than live in a big house!
 passportlove
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/29/2013 7:58:13 PM
I go by the school of thought that's says financially secure = self sufficient.
 EnigmaticDalton
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:13:14 PM

you don't live in the woods

There's millionaires who live in the woods...

you don't live in a home on wheels

Why does it matter where they live? at least they own a home...

you don't live with your parents

What the fvck does this have to do with anything... what if their parents are ill ?
What if they really like their parents?
What if they own the home and the parents live with them?
what if the parents are old and cant afford to support themselves and were taken in?

Someone else's financial situation should be none of your concern. if you can support yourself then dont worry bout whats in their pocket. if they want you to support them you can simply say no...

The women who hate supporting bums now know what men have gone through for years... no centuries.

Whats wrong with a woman taking care of and supporting a man? No one has a problem when a man takes care of and supports a woman.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:17:32 PM

if they want you to support them you can simply say no...

Thats not what the mandatory deductions on my paycheck suggest
 EnigmaticDalton
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:20:17 PM

Thats not what the mandatory deductions on my paycheck suggest

good point
 JGirlSD
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/30/2013 6:00:21 AM
I think everyone has their own definition of Financially Secure....it doesn't have to do with having a lot of money, but it does have to do with being responsible...living within your means. There isn't anything wrong with someone who doesn't have much money if they pay the bills and aren't irresponsible. That's what Financially Secure means to me.

In this economy, there are more people who have been laid off or have had pay cuts, so more people may have debt or be struggling. It doesn't mean they are 'un-dateable' or looking for a handout. It just means that they have hit a rough spot in the road, that's all. I'd rather date a man who was struggling financially, yet paying his bills and doing the best he could..than a man with a ton of cash in the bank who throws money away to 'look good' or 'keep up with the Jones'. It's more in the attitude than the balance sheet.
 mermaid140
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/30/2013 10:46:32 AM
I had that written in one of my profiles a few years back. The reason I wrote it was because I wanted someone who spent their money wisely.

I don't have it in anymore. Men seem to take it the wrong way.
 0ldhag
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/30/2013 11:24:06 AM

what is the definition for financially secure

Means one can support his or her's lifestyle.

For example, if your ok with living in a trailor in the middle of the desert, then fine, maybe $1,000 USD is enough for a month. AND that would mean your financialy secure because your 'living withing your means'.

But on the other hand there are people who need more. For example a high life in NY, so their 'means' is different than the guys who live in the trailor.

and also generous [/qoute]

Irrelevant.
 curviest
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 2:38:42 PM
Men I chat to on here are constantly complaining that the majority of the women on dating sites are looking for a man to support them financially. So to make sure that I did not miss out on meeting a nice bloke I put "solvent" on my profile so men would know I am self supporting.

Then during a profile review everyone told me to remove that word .
 Applette
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 3:00:35 PM
I have read profiles from men who request that the lady be financial secure .. apparently he does not want to support a woman ... anymore then a woman wants to support a deadbeat man .. and trust me guys there are just as many of those scrolling thru the profiles looking for a mark! But in a lot of cases what is written is not necessarily what is meant ... for example if I were to say I would like a generous man ... put the radar down fellas .. it means generous with time and patient with sharing information.
 ArticLife
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 5:16:49 PM
Substantial emergency fund, stable job, plan for retirement.

That's about right.
 jan1025
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 5:17:12 PM
Money does buy happiness. I disagree with that saying that "money doesn't buy happiness". Unless you live in the forest and live off the forest and can be happy living in the forest then maybe that would be applicable.

If living in civilization, you got to have the cash.

Cheers!
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/30/2013 7:49:58 PM
Either you are a happy person or your not. You can not buy happiness, it comes from within. What money may do is provide an atmosphere which may be more conducive to happiness. But what do I know? I'm one of those gnomes who live in the forests; my forest is in the mountains of Colorado (next to a ski resort town) and I am happy.
 Rapunzel1964
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/30/2013 8:14:39 PM

Money does buy happiness. I disagree with that saying that "money doesn't buy happiness". Unless you live in the forest and live off the forest and can be happy living in the forest then maybe that would be applicable

I would say that money buys security, power, fun, and insulates you from a whole bunch of life's bs, but buy happiness? No.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Definition of financially secure