Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > 30's = Time to Loosen Up One's Standards?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 95
30's = Time to Loosen Up One's Standards?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
mainelythere, thats not necessarily true. I can't even eat pasta without showing it on me on the next day. Some people can eat whatever they want. Just go on about your business and date thin women. I certainly wouldn't want to date someone that made me feel bad about being chubby. I don't care about height, since I'm short. But I do think tall men are sexy.
 mainelythere
Msg: 96
30's = Time to Loosen Up One's Standards?
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:13:35 PM
Ok Julia, but can you agree that people who gain weight for not caloric reasons represent a very small minority of obesity?
 abmccray
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:29:59 PM
Ok Julia, but can you agree that people who gain weight for not caloric reasons represent a very small minority of obesity?

Even with glandular disorders, the body STILL needs enough calories to save it as fat. Note that ANY glandular disorder is only estimated to account for around 2% of obesity, and most can be mitigated with reasonable diet + exercise.

There's no denying that some people burn/store better than others, and that some people are more predisposed to eat beyond the point of satiation (normally more due to parents instilling horrible portions in their children). And, of course, metabolism slows down, which changes the amount you can eat.

Even still, people that actively do REAL physical workouts and REAL physical activities (not what comes easy to them) are generally more physically fit people. And someone that is more physically fit will generally have a problem with someone who is not, constantly slowing them down. And, outside of legitimate physical problems, there's no real reason why almost everyone can't be physically fit, outside of laziness.

That's what weight is an indicator of personality and lifestyle. Weight is still a calories out/calories in equation, no matter how much relatively "harder" it is for you. The overweight person has decided that they are comfortable not partaking in a reasonable amount of physical activity, combined with eating a reasonable amount of food - they don't care about maximizing "self" as much as possible and prefer and easier way out. There are skinny-fat people as well - it's just that being fat is an immediate sign telling you that, whereas someone out of shape and smaller takes more time to get to know/figure out.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:02:13 PM
I don't eat crappy food, and I don't blame it on genetics. I'm also not OBESE. I'm just chubby. But anyways, it doesn't matter. Cause at the end of the day, its more about appearance rather than someone actually showing concern for one's weight. My weight has always been up and down, I'm not a tall woman either. I eat prolly twice a day. And no, I don't mean fast food. Just for editing reasons, I am working on losing weight. I work out for one hour every day. But I'm certainly not doing it for any man. I'm doing it for myself. I quit drinking, and I don't drink soda. Just water water water.
 6foot7inches
Msg: 99
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:42:17 PM

But I do think tall men are sexy.

Woot!!
 mainelythere
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:45:42 PM
All i am trying to say is height cant be helped EVER, weight generally can be.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 101
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:17:34 PM
6foot7inches, wow you can prolly throw me across the room! LOL
 abmccray
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:28:09 PM

Well that's probably your problem right there.... unfortunately most women think less is more and thats simply not true. if you're body isn't getting enough nourishment, the food it is getting it's going to store as fat because it isn't sure when it will be fed again.
Also, if you're going too long between eating you're actually doing more harm than good because you're slowing down your metabolism. You want to aim for eating at least 6 small meals/snacks a day, stay away from simple carbs, eat healthy fats (contrary to what marketing would like you to believe, food fat does not always =body fat. GOOD fats will slow digestion and up metabolism) and high fiber foods.

This man is entirely correct. You want to eat constantly - 6ish times a day, but in smaller portions. When you only eat one or two times a day, your body thinks you're starving and saves as much as possible of that as fat. If you eat lean protein/fiber throughout the day, and combine that with working out constantly, your body constantly pushes that protein to muscles (it won't make you bulky unless you purposely bulk up) and burns fat, which results in the quickest way of slimming down.
 mainelythere
Msg: 103
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:38:26 PM
to be fair your pic is confusing. and yes your name is a girls, but who reads usernames in these forums until its time for quoting?
 abmccray
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:03:34 PM
Yeah, sorry, that pic threw me off- and I thought popeye instead of his wife for some reason when I saw your name :)
 JenSnider
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/27/2013 8:24:14 PM
I would also add to not be afraid of weights (weightlifting) because when you build muscle it helps speed up your metabolism. And it won't make you bulky looking at all, unless you do a specific diet and excercise regimene (I know I spelled that wrong, but I'm too lazy to look up the correct spelling).
 Engine_Builder
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/27/2013 9:08:27 PM

6foot7inches,LOL

POF translation...He's 6 foot with 7 inches.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/1/2013 8:30:33 AM

(olive_oyl) I can't eat pasta without it "showing" on me the next day either, so I choose not to eat it (except on cheat day).
I know that nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels, so I make healthy choices. If you gain weight eating crappy food, don't eat crappy food....why is that so hard?

In direct answer to your question, one of the reasons is that crappy, overprocessed food is much, much cheaper, generally, than healthy food. Not an excuse to eat crappy, but a very significant reason that a lot of Fitness-Nazis overlook...
 abmccray
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 12:22:57 PM
Healthy food isn't necessarily more expensive, or less tasty (although there is the body's natural predisposition to crave/over enjoy sugars before you "teach" it not to) - the issue is that it requires cooking/preparation to make, which takes skill and a tiny bit of effort to prepare. Once again, the difference between "lazy" and "not." In a choice between going to a fast food place and ordering something quick or taking 15 mins to prepare a meal (I'm counting the time actually spent making it, not necessarily cook time, for which I normally multitask), lazy people will pick the fast food.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 109
Posted: 3/4/2013 10:33:35 AM

(abmccray) Once again, the difference between "lazy" and "not."

Not quite. The difference is, deciding where to prioritize one's limited time.

In a choice between going to a fast food place and ordering something quick or taking 15 mins to prepare a meal (I'm counting the time actually spent making it, not necessarily cook time, for which I normally multitask), lazy people will pick the fast food.

Or people in a hurry to do other stuff that they've decided is more important. Really, if you get a 'phone call about a loved one being in the hospital, are you *REALLY* going to go on about laziness? I can't believe I have to explain this...

It's about differing priorities.
 abmccray
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2013 2:29:12 PM
^^^Are you just not capable of seeing "context" or what? Unless you have a loved one going to a hospital every day, what in the world does this have to do with what I was -obviously- talking about?
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 111
Posted: 3/5/2013 7:18:18 AM

(abmccray) ^^^Are you just not capable of seeing "context" or what? Unless you have a loved one going to a hospital every day, what in the world does this have to do with what I was -obviously- talking about?

It has waaay more to do with what you were talking about (ie, y0ur judgemental "Anyone with different priorities than me is just LAZY!") than your inital gab-fest had to do with my response to olive_oyl, which was very specific in stating that over-processed junk food is GENERALLY cheaper, and that this was a crucial factor for many (Notice that I included the word "generally", which means "usually but not always", in both this message, and my original one to olive_oyl, which I also specified was a "DIRECT answer to her question"... )

What was that you were saying about "context"?
 abmccray
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 1:17:49 PM
And my response was an addendum to yours. "Junk food" is generally cheaper than more healthy food, but, with the ability and -want- to prepare food, healthy food is technically the cheapest food of all. However, many people -are- too lazy to do that. It's not 'different priorities,' as preparing food can be done multitasking-ly and take relatively little time; it's lack of interest in learning and laziness. If your "priority" is to "get fatter" because "cooking sounds like too much effort to you," that's a descriptor of laziness, since the deciding issue isn't TRULY time.

There are other additions you can make to that, as well, such as the fact that lots of inner cities don't have grocery stores and lack access to more healthy foods in a reasonable manner, which is one reason for the weight problem in the inner cities.

Given that it was an additional point using your post to springboard as opposed to an argument with you, it's bewildering that you replied with such emotional responses (as shown by your tone and usage of goofy emoticons).
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 113
Posted: 3/5/2013 1:39:48 PM
Loosen up my standards? No way. My standards are a reflection of me and what I want in a relationship. What's the point of going through the journey of finding someone if I throw myself out of the equation along the way? My standards are the basis of what I want in a relationship. If I don't find someone that meets those standards, then I don't want the relationship. Yay, I'm with someone I have no interest in. Whoopee. :\
 Mg1979m
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/5/2013 2:56:10 PM
Yes these women need to loosen up a bit.They all comPlain about all the guys want is sex.Im sick of liying and cheaters.But those guys are the only ones most respond to.
 ksayer1
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 6:59:46 PM
''Yes these women need to loosen up a
bit.They all comPlain about all the
guys want is sex.Im sick of liying and
cheaters.But those guys are the only
ones most respond to.''

You have no idea who most women respond to. I can tell you that most women don't respond to guys who are feeling sorry for themselves.

I have no interest in lowering my ''standards'' I would rather be alone then with someone i don't enjoy.
 jc91607
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:01:40 PM
Mg1979m might be onto something.

Many men who are ambitious and driven do not put a great amount of effort into making lots of money, getting six pack abs, and dressing nicely so they can have a lifelong monogamous relationship with an ordinary looking women. Many ambitious and driven men (who many women find attractive) do what they do so they can be womanizers.

In short, many women want to meet the kind of guy who has many notches in his bedpost or is capable of putting many notches in his bedpost. They then act surprised or shocked when they become yet another notch in the bedpost. It is kind of like picking up an attack dog because it looks real vicious and fierce then complaining when it bites you.
 ksayer1
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:37:36 PM
''Many men who are ambitious and
driven do not put a great amount of
effort into making lots of money,
getting six pack abs, and dressing
nicely so they can have a lifelong
monogamous relationship with an
ordinary looking women. Many
ambitious and driven men (who many
women find attractive) do what they
do so they can be womanizers.''

Why do so many of you guys assume when a woman says ''standards'' she means rich and hot?
I don't know and have never known one woman who was looking for ''rich and hot'' we all seem to be looking for slightly different things.
I could probably turn that around too and assume most of you guys pump out msgs to women who are ''10s'' then get all up set when they don't respond.
 JenSnider
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:59:41 PM
^David Bowie would be proud.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/6/2013 10:48:06 PM
Never loosen up your standards. What you can do is see what worked for you what didn't and adj it to fit your goals and help you find what you are looking for..
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > 30's = Time to Loosen Up One's Standards?