Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Making it past Valentine's Day      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 26
Making it past Valentine's DayPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Making it past Valentine's Day is always rough for me. You think you got it bad. I haven't had a Valentine's Day date since 1998! And to make matters worse for me... my birthday's 2 days later! :(
 lookngdd
Msg: 27
Making it past Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/5/2013 12:15:47 PM
Well, I've never posted on a forum. This title though made me want to stop and give response. I really dread every Valentines Day. I've read some suggestions on how to "get through". I have a great Daughter and may just take her out special. I am really tired of being mad and disappointed every year. I have a great life and complain way too much! I have had bad experience with this site. I was just going to close out my profile and accept I will be single for a long time I guess. The guys from here are bottom line just intending "friends with benefits" I have found. They may say they are not like that, but the facts are there. Sorry tangent there.... As far as Valentines I've been married and was still shortchanged. I guess we should do for ourselves not expect etc.. Any ideas on how to meet cool guys out in everyday life? HELP..
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/5/2013 1:37:55 PM

I really dread every Valentines Day. I've read some suggestions on how to "get through". I have a great Daughter and may just take her out special.

I think that sounds lovely!
 nirvanawithu
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/5/2013 3:37:51 PM

You wouldn't really want a woman to stay with you because she wasn't able to live and make it on her own, right? Because that's almost what this sounds like.

No, absolutely not, that's never been the case. She's done a fantastic job the last 10 years raising her daughter on her own. Sometimes doing everything on your own for a long period of time makes you comfortable with having everything your own way. That isn't exactly conducive to a good partnership especially when it comes to working things out.

I've continued to see her on occasion and we've had an awesome time together. I'm not bothered by what others think, especially since there seems to be a big cheering section for a scorched earth policy. If we want to see each other, it's our business. We made the mistake of living together way too soon due to an opportunity that came up. I moved out a few months back, but not much else has changed.

Valentines day still stirs up allot of memories and up until last year, it never really was much of an issue...
 scarlet_lily23
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/5/2013 3:47:23 PM
I've never had a date for Valentine's Day.
This year looks no different from the last 30 or so.
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/6/2013 7:41:23 AM

I've never had a date for Valentine's Day.
This year looks no different from the last 30 or so.

If you were geographically closer... I'd ask you to be my Valentine this year. ;-)
 OutMind
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/6/2013 7:50:42 AM
Another overblown, overly commercialize holiday is just coming down the corner. I've had women that anything less than Godiva chocolates and they would get offended. My new gf told me that she didn't want to do anything for it. I said fine. Then I ran across tickets for the Ballet Dracula, which is really cool. So we will ignore V day, but deck out and have a blast for D day.
 lookngdd
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/6/2013 9:06:18 AM
For us single people, if you want a gift for this day, go get it for yourself. An idea I should do, is be nice to people I see through the day, not wallow in pity. It's becoming draining to get upset about it every year, right?
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/6/2013 10:02:29 AM

For us single people, if you want a gift for this day, go get it for yourself. An idea I should do, is be nice to people I see through the day, not wallow in pity. It's becoming draining to get upset about it every year, right?

I couldn't agree more with you. Now what about people like me, who's birthday is either on or near Valentine's Day?
 nirvanawithu
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/6/2013 5:54:02 PM
Wallow in pitty? NEVER. But it does suck trying a mandatory chocolate if you bought her cheap ones. It's always best to be prepared with the quality ones when she puts the box in front of you and says have one.
 xKayron
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/6/2013 6:17:37 PM
Valentines day is just another day to me ..never had a girl on that day. It's annoying seeing all my friends with their gfs having a good time but its whatever. People never believe me when I say I'm single for some reason.
 BeachMagic555
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/6/2013 8:27:17 PM
I just had a very disappointing POF experience from someone I met on New Years Eve who we saw each other every single day and had wonderful times. We spent last Tuesday evening together and was great as always...nice dinner, romantic walk, lots of kisses, he brought me several gifts from travels (he's a pilot) and we talked for hours till 4 a.m. Made plans for Valentines Day and the weekend before and even a getaway to south Florida. Then when he left....I never heard from him again...it's been 8 days. I' confused and hurt. I've spent the last 3 Valentine's Days alone. I have a job interview on Feb 15 in Chicago so I'm hoping traveling on the 14th will keep me distracted except that he's a pilot and I'll be at airports and see pilots all day....darnit...should have taken a train.

My heart goes out to all of you on Valentine's Day.
 lookngdd
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/6/2013 9:08:34 PM
Wow, sorry about that. I am glad that I do not get a bond with any of these guys. Mostly the texting game and maybe a meetup. I think the guy was a coward. Disappearing was not cool. Leaves you wondering, thinking and hoping. Would rather have an explaination, right...
 nirvanawithu
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/7/2013 5:52:11 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^You both seem adorable, I'm shocked! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 lookngdd
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/7/2013 6:37:11 PM
Thank you very much, and I appreciate it.
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/8/2013 2:28:35 AM
Valentine's Day is always a double whammy for me. I haven't had a Valentine's Day date since 1998. And my brithday's just 2 days afterwards (Feb. 16). I try not to let it get me down. But do the math... since 1998, that means I'm just like my Detroit Lions. I just haven't gone 0-16 yet. I'm at 0-14 on Valentine's Day dates lol. Hopefully this streak will end very soon.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/8/2013 9:33:14 AM

You both seem adorable, I'm shocked!

Right? And xOohwee is nothing to sneeze at, either! I don't get it.
 rd1955
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 11:21:46 AM
Hey G-Rock, I've had 1 Valentine's day date since 1984...That makes me 1-29, and that date wasn't even fun! At first it bothered me, back in the mid 80's, because I had been in a couple of really nice relationships beforehand. I missed enjoying the day with someone who was special to me. I got over that and eventually learned to not let it bother me and to stop counting something negative (just did it now for this reply) because it only reinforces the negative feelings. I try to enjoy myself doing things with friends whenever I can, and if it's Valentine's day, that's great. I haven't sat home and felt bad about being alone in a long time, and I refuse to do that again. The mind controls emotions, so don't dwell on negatives. Have a drink and a good meal with friends...savor what you do have!
 Mikare
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/8/2013 2:07:20 PM
I think I'll start my chocolate early this year lol this thread depresses me.
 LisaLou65
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/10/2013 5:17:48 PM
I plan on buying myself something special. As long as I am my own valentine, I won't be disappointed in someone else not being there for me. I usually don't like any holidays because I haven't had a special person in my life to enjoy them with.
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/10/2013 5:21:06 PM
There's only one thing that gets my mind off Valentine's Day... and that's playing the blues on my harmonica. Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehJEG6gXImE
 Moscatored
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/10/2013 5:47:07 PM
that is a very good question... i think i've had only about 1-2 Valentine's days with someone special. each year i hate it even more. plus it doesn't help that my birthday is just 3 days after.

although one year for valentine's day was probably the best year and i didn't have someone special. my cousin had a floral shop and needed help delivering flowers. so i volunteered and it was awesome walking in with flowers and giving it to people. seeing the expressions on their faces was priceless. you might think that not having someone special and delivering valentine's would be really depressing and remind you of not having someone but really it is fun seeing the surprised looks on others faces. makes you feel like you are a superhero or something.

:)
 lookngdd
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/10/2013 6:23:24 PM
I hope you all enjoy the holiday and go buy ourselves a nice flower bouquet. You can get em as low as$5.00! I know, not the same, but why not? I always know in February every year I'll be alone, so I know to be ready for all the drama of it all. I'm going to mall and shop- need to treat myself nice- I'm not too bad to look at, and I'm unique too!
 bbqchickenrobot
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2013 7:22:23 PM
Valentines is just another day when you *reallly* think about it. Don't over analyze. What does suck is that TV, Radio, neighbors, stores, etc... all have all that "dumb" shit blaring in our faces. So, even though drinking is a short term solution your original post was just about making it past valentines day lol. That's how you do it. Go to a nudie bar and bring a bottle and when you find a hot stripper to hang out with request they play the song "You and me and the bottle makes three tonight!" lol.
 KER6969
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/10/2013 7:35:17 PM
Valentine's Day is very difficult for me as it's my parents anniversary (they would have been married 65 years this year) and my father has passed. The last 3 years have been very hard for my mother with the loss of my father and my sister. My mother is nearly 85 and in frail health, so on Valentine's Day, my kids and I take my mom out to her favourite restaurant for dinner and I spend a majority of the day with her so it's easier to bear for her.

This year my kids and I reprinted some pics of my parents through the years and put them in a framed collage to give to her on Thursday. My kids also made cards for her too.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Making it past Valentine's Day