Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I might be getting CATFISHED !!!???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justdeb1111
Msg: 26
I might be getting CATFISHED !!!???Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Dude....she is NOT the model in the picture. If she were, tell her you'd like her to send you a recent pic--one that isnt on the website.

There is a reason she has not met you and is sending you someone else's pics and all the possibilities of what that could be are not near as intriguing as you STILL saying she is "gorgeous". She has set her hook in what you want to believe---are you so insecure with women that you would rather keep talking on a phone with an obvious liar?
 jazine6
Msg: 27
view profile
History
I might be getting CATFISHED !!!???
Posted: 1/30/2013 2:39:59 PM
You are getting CATFISHED!
 Proteaus
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/30/2013 3:36:21 PM
I would think if you have been in contact with her for a couple months and not yet met ? If that's the case its a scam and you need to punt . Has she asked you for money yet ? Do a search on ' relationship scams ' .
 darj211
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/30/2013 3:48:14 PM
Im gona put my foot down tonight when she calls from that blocked number (which i could get because i work for a very big phone company). Plus i dont have time to call Nev, i got all you people with the helpful advice!!! :)

She must think im dumb or desperate. She hasnt asked for money (yet), she claims she has a bmw and 3 ipads !!! ha
 Whisky_River
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/30/2013 4:42:20 PM
. She hasnt asked for money (yet)

These type of scams aren't always about money....watching the T.V. show...it's about attention or in some circumstances, just for kicks.
They usually have a pic of a model for themselves and chat up a good looking guy...who's also a bit flattered for being the chosen one.
In some instances it's been a guy....at the other end.
Of course, you know that.....
 ColeenAnn
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/30/2013 5:11:06 PM
Wake up OP ... OF COURSE you're getting played.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 5:12:42 PM
I think the OP can handle himself, I'm not worried for him.
 DORA1966
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/30/2013 5:52:31 PM
You know, since watching the Catfish on MTV, I'm not really digging the online dating thing a 100% anymore. Call it naive or dumb, but I didn't realize that until recently, that some people are not really looking for a real relationship or even a hookup on these dating webites, but just a text or phone buddy to have on the side, when life gets dull. I had my own experience with a man who pursued me, texted me, called me, and when I mentioned meeting after 2 months, guess what happened? All contact stopped.
 kgirl2305
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/30/2013 5:53:44 PM
Well coming from someone who was scammed early last year. If this person isn't willing to meet and giving you excuse after excuse. Stop before you lose more then just your time.......
 DORA1966
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/30/2013 6:13:52 PM
LMAO. Nev is so cute! Maybe we should email HIM....at least he'd understand! :)
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 7:13:52 PM

You know, since watching the Catfish on MTV, I'm not really digging the online dating thing a 100% anymore. Call it naive or dumb, but I didn't realize that until recently, that some people are not really looking for a real relationship or even a hookup on these dating webites, but just a text or phone buddy to have on the side, when life gets dull. I had my own experience with a man who pursued me, texted me, called me, and when I mentioned meeting after 2 months, guess what happened? All contact stopped.

Well it's not just men that do this, both sexes are culpable. That being said, I say most are married or living with someone and their bored with their lives. So talking/texting is safe gamesmanship and non personal but once you meet (or mention it) it's a different animal and becomes worrisome when someone might see you together.
 msright78
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/30/2013 7:18:40 PM
My ex bf met a girl online. B4 we dated he was talking to some girl he met online through some chat.

They talked for months and the pictures she sent him was of some spanish model. And he thought that was her. Her english wasn't great, but he had just been separated from his ex wife that I guess his head wasn't clear at all. Anyways she eventually asked him for money, saying some BS about her mom being in the hospital and that nonsense. He wired her $500 I think it was.

He then came across her picture online and confronted her via email about it. Mind u, all this time, they were never in the same country.

So yeah not to make the story long, but he got suckered for $500. He was stupid enough to trust her. Meh, live and learn I say.

He even offered to give me money for school when we went out on our first date ( we were friends for over 16 years b4 we dated). But luckily for him, I'm not 'relying on the man' type of a girl for her needs so I declined his offer. He was willing to break his bonds to lend me the cash for school.

The downfall of this guy, he's too trusting with random ppl. And ppl like that can be taken for a ride in a huge way. Some ppl are so gullible, it's not even funny.
 darj211
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/31/2013 1:36:47 AM
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE !!!!

I figured it out people !!! Im such a DOOFUS !!!
i feel horrible by the way. So about a month ago she put a pic in my message box and asked me if this girl is pretty. She said "this is my friend at work and she is pretty but she always complains to me that she doesn't feel pretty, what do you think?" I said she is not ugly but i wouldnt call her pretty, then she put up another pic up and i said that one is a lot better, and i think i said something along the lines of "she is ok", she seemed a lil upset that i called her friend ugly, and she said she was mad at me for calling her bf ugly.

Well i was gona out her tonight and i couldnt bring myself to do it. So we started talking like regular, then she asked for my email, then paused and said "i dont trust you, ill send it from someone else's email" she sent me a funny pic of some naked girl (dumb emails everyone gets) and the email said Sabrina. So i googled the email name and i found an old account on some website called fmylife.com and a TON of pics on photobucket. THE SO CALLED BEST FRIEND AT WORK WAS HER !!!

IM SUCH AN ***hole...WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW !!!???
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/31/2013 2:17:33 AM
Stop taking her calls would be my first suggestion.

You could still "out her", but is it really worth the time and effort?

Good luck.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/31/2013 3:20:31 AM

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW !!!???

I vote, laugh!
 Zuglo65
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2013 6:48:05 AM
I figured it out people !!!

What is it that you figured it out?
Oh, that she was trying to figure out what do you think of her by creating a best friend from work?
So basically she sent a picture of herself, saying that is her best friend, asking what do you think of her?
Who does that? You are 32, is this girl around your age?
I am asking because when I was 15, I asked this girl if she likes my best friend, because he was to shy to do it.
So you figured out that she likes to play games?
Just don't understand why do you think you are an a**hole?
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2013 9:18:58 AM
Well that explains a lot, no wonder her profile was so negative. She's down on men because she has honesty issues. Sell what you have, sell it with the proper instructions, proper photos and any disclosures that may pertain to it. But whatever you do, don't misrepresent what it is.

Hey what do you think of my friends beer gut?
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/31/2013 12:47:59 PM
Okay, more seriously, darj...

I get that you feel sorry for her. Who wouldn't? So do I. But this is NOT your responsibility.

I think you'll feel a whole lot better if you tell her you've found this out and want to stop talking to her because you can't trust her. This may not be the whole truth, but it has the advantage of being true, and it closes things for you without just dropping contact, which would feel weird after all those conversations.

And heh, I remember when fmylife was popular. They used to get some funny stuff.
 carolann0308
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2013 1:54:52 PM

I met this nice girl a couple months back and we been getting along great

You do understand the meaning of the word 'met' right? It implies actually meeting face to face.
 Bonez57
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/29/2013 6:18:12 PM
What was the girls name
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/30/2013 4:47:09 AM
How do we even no the OP is telling the truth...maybe we are all being catfished right now!....
I report at least one profile a week here in the Halifax Can....area. Most are usually obvious and Thanks to Google.
 HonkyTonk_Woman
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/30/2013 6:40:44 AM
Oh but yes...I have had famous authors....models...actors and Olympic athletes either message me or have seen them on line....lol.
Thank goodness for "google image"....I have reported quite a few as well.
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/30/2013 8:29:10 AM
Get off the computer. Start meeting people in real life. Problem solved.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/30/2013 9:09:04 AM
OP;

If one of us posted your thread, and you were going to answer it rationally and fairly from the outside, what would your answer to us be?

I think you already know your answer. I'm truly sorry; if it makes you feel better MANY people have been subjected to that. As long as you eventually wake up and smell the coffee, no harm no foul. Don't let yourself get beat up for wanting to believe something enough to overlook what you had to know was fishy.

STAYING talking to her though? That would be pretty self defeating... (and deserving of some pretty harsh criticism, most especially by you yourself)
 gtomustang
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/30/2013 11:15:48 AM
always use the GTO measurement in behavior:

would you put up with this balony from an average looking person?

"catfishing" is the Internet version of the monkey trap--you trap monkeys by putting food inside a container with a hole just big enough for their hand. they can't hold the food and pull out the hand, so they stay stuck b/c they won't let go of the food so they can escape to get food elsewhere.

no one ever GETS catfished, they catfish THEMSELVES. If an average looking person acted sketchy, paranoid, suspicious, and accused others of what they perhaps do themselves, no one would ever catfish themselves over this person--they'd just dump and move on.

but no one wants to let go of what they think is a hot person, pull their hand out of the trap, and move along.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I might be getting CATFISHED !!!???