Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Wouldn't it be better to just not have beliefs?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
This is the sound of no hands clapping.
- Confucius
Wouldn't it be better to just not have beliefs?
Posted: 7/30/2013 6:16:22 AM

Rather than make the question an "either/or" dilemma, it would be best to say "wouldn't it be better to question your beliefs so that you know them to be true or untrue rather than relying on reciting dogma?"

Eureka.
 JustDukky
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/30/2013 9:04:47 AM
Rather than make the question an "either/or" dilemma, it would be best to say "wouldn't it be better to question your beliefs so that you know them to be true or untrue rather than relying on reciting dogma?"

The point is that you CAN'T (except for an axiom or two) know your belief to be true. The BEST you can do is provide yourself with some evidence that it isn't false.
Posted: 7/30/2013 3:50:32 PM
^ I believe that 1+2=5
 April1963
Msg: 51
Posted: 7/30/2013 7:53:03 PM

question your beliefs so that you know them to be true or untrue

Mine are true!!

I believe, I believe ,I believe in........ ME.
I believe I can fly,
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door,I believe I can fly........
If I just believe it..Then I can do it.

Have a nice evening!!
Posted: 7/31/2013 2:20:15 AM
^ I believe that answers the question right there.
 PROTON67
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/31/2013 1:07:00 PM
Wouldn't it be better to just not have feelings and emotions?
Posted: 7/31/2013 4:51:41 PM
^ No, it would not be better.
 I_travel_light
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/31/2013 7:01:05 PM
Atheist is a belief system. And you have faith. Faith in your car, faith in yourself. It is a matter of what you believe in and where you put that faith. Some choose to put in more than what they can see. So, no, we should not strive to atheist. Much more opened minded to believe that you do not have all the answers and to keep looking.
Posted: 8/1/2013 3:06:06 AM

Much more opened minded to believe that you do not have all the answers and to keep looking.

Yes...this part ^ is weird. Along with the rest of it of course. This must be a post just meant to yank our chains.

The very thing that defines an atheist is being open-minded, and knowing that they don't have all of the answers, and wanting to keep looking. And the opposite is the very thing that defines a theist. Well...another thing that is very definitive of a theist is making statements like this which claim that things are exactly the opposite of what they actually are, one example of what I call a little kid's game of opposites.

I_travel_light, you should watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLAE9AAABDED62AE26

trailsman:

Say what you will about atheists, but we don't engage in Holy Wars.

Unfortunately, even that won't make a dent. The ditsy response to that is usually how atheism is responsible for certain dictatorships or nations which engaged in genocide or serious abuses of human-rights...which is really yet another example of that little kid's game of opposites.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/1/2013 5:12:47 AM

Trailsman5

You are making a critical spiritual mistake. I_travel_light needs to be saved by you. Show him the path to embrace the madness as you provide it.... Save him!! and hand him a complimentary bumper sticker "Trailsman5 Saves!". Teach him how to think, what to think, the truth and, the enlightened way. You owe it to him.

Be misericordious ... Be his messiah!

timeforall
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/1/2013 2:41:27 PM

Most people have begun the journey by ignoring the parts of the Holy Book that they feel don't apply, but resist it further because of the social penalty from friends and family.

I suppose that depends on where and with who you grew up. In my world, most people are probably more or less atheist anyway, and always have been.

Did date a girl once who as we were breaking up . . told me one of my faults was i did not believe in God. And to think there was a time I thought we might get married. Now she is a regular church goer. But she is the exception in my experience.
Posted: 8/1/2013 4:44:15 PM
Saw a car window sticker today. "America, bless god". America can bless god? Somebody's got dyslexia.
 JustDukky
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/1/2013 10:33:46 PM

I believe that 1+2=5

Obviously you went to the Jethro Bodine Institute of higher mathematics.
Posted: 8/2/2013 3:22:50 AM
Well, as you said

The point is that you CAN'T (except for an axiom or two) know your belief to be true. The BEST you can do is provide yourself with some evidence that it isn't false.

But anyway, 1+2=5 because I saw it on a show.
 JustDukky
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/2/2013 10:08:28 AM

But anyway, 1+2=5 because I saw it on a show.

"The Beverly Hillbillies"?...That's where I saw it...It was such a fascination that it launched many a career in higher mathematics.
 DameWrite
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2013 9:51:40 PM

I DO have beliefs. I believe that the arc of history is long, but it does bend towards justice, and I believe that mankind will someday throw off the shackles of magical thinking... not just this Skydaddy silliness, but astrology, psychics, ghosts, lucky poker shirts, Bigfoot, Communism, Aryan supremacy etc.

Trailsman, I have hope but I don't believe we will blow off this b.s. and start thinking for ourselves. A few will, and do, but all?
Why do you believe that history bends toward justice?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2013 4:47:37 AM
History has been taught in the United States, as a long journey from darkness into light, from ignorance into knowledge, and from oppression into freedom. This was a conscious political decision, made to use public schooling in particular, to reinforce patriotism. I am confident that this is why Trails and many others have this underlying faith, and though I would not see them lose their hopes for future improvements in the world, I do hope that they will come to realize how such changes as are needed, will always require active and challenging effort to achieve.

Though the intentions were relatively good, it is always a mistake to "tweak" the truth. One of the direct causes of social unrest in any country, has always been that those in power try to fool their subjects into quietly accepting what is, so that they can continue their own lives in comfort. When those subjects awaken, and realize that the platitudes they have been fed since birth are actually designed to make them sleep through their abuse, they tend to rise up, and "object" in some fashion. And not always in a fashion that makes things better for everyone, even for themselves.

History is just the story we tell ourselves about how we got here, and what it includes in its narratives, when it is factual, is guided entirely by the actual work of all of the populace. The future will only be rosier than the past has been, if at least most people consciously work to make it so.
 oldie_but_hottie
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2013 2:38:13 PM
“Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST.”
― Frank Zappa
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >