Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Deepseaceecee
Msg: 120
Common 'run for the hills' lines you hearPage 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I dont appreciate "you would be good in bed" at the first meet. Or " can I come for lunch?"
when you have not even met. lol!! or "Can I come over and you can make me a cup of coffee?" or
how about I come over and you can make me dinner?" when you have not met. lol! or "How old are you?" next!!!
 aussiesealady
Msg: 122
Common 'run for the hills' lines you hear
Posted: 2/21/2013 9:16:28 PM
Like enjoyinglife's post

The things that I say that makes them run for the hills are usually something like.

"Yes I would love to meet you / see you again.
When / where and what do you suggest we do/ go?"

or even worse

"Yes I would love to meet you / see you again.
How about we do/go ................"

or
"Yes, certainly I would love to take you sailing.
How about we meet up first so you can tell I am not Captain Bligh before we go on the boat?"

or

"No. I would prefer to meet up somewhere in daylight in a public place.
How about......... "

All of the above are guarranteed to make a lot dissapear for good.
 Truth556
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/21/2013 10:42:30 PM

I will when I make 400K plus. Obviously you do working in "inventory".

Sounds like youll need 400k a year to buy yourself a woman.
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/22/2013 2:32:12 AM
Neverlikedtherain: Yeah, cuz giving a woman a compliment these days is translation for automatically trying to get in your pants? (Rollseyes)how about maybe he's just trying to be, oh I dont know......NICE?

Another "all men are this" posts.
 funny4uwannatry
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:55:28 AM
OMG.. this post is so funny. It is nice to know I am not the only one who had experiences like this. I have to say some comments are sweet depending on when they are said and how they are said. I did not mind being told I look better than my pictures( when I had them on line) except when it was obvious the man was drooling and it did not appear he could communicate anything else. comments about my ex being a gold digger or how she got all his money.. RUN.. bitter, angry men. Men who make statements about "our" future during the first meeting creep me out as well. Over kill on the compliments.. its obvious when a man is saying things to get a women into bed.. I want to know something about him, not how great he is in bed. There are so many more, but hey, thanks for the laughs!
 spilling_fire
Msg: 127
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:18:49 AM
These are hilarious and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one coming across the loose-lipped nutcases on here!
Some of my favorite "Did he really just say that on a first date?" lines:

1. You're attractive, have your life together, intelligent, funny as hell...why are you single? You must be broken.
2. I quit my full time job to go back to school and I'm living with my mother until I graduate.
3. Let's not talk about serious things, it depresses me.
4. Do you swallow?
5. I used to have a drinking problem but I'm 100% ok now (as he orders a shot).
 prime ribb
Msg: 128
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:05:21 AM

2. I quit my full time job to go back to school and I'm living with my mother until I graduate.

I'm curious about this one. I know people who go back to school for better opportunities and to get paid more in the job market. Was it one of those deals? Everyone has their own criteria, but I wouldn't exactly run for the hills over this one.
 prime ribb
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:10:55 AM
"I live with the father of my children."

"I can only get calls on weekends, holidays and mornings."

Those two things, nah!
 i_maggie
Msg: 130
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:40:44 AM
how about "I'm not attracted to anyone I have met , it's not you. I still love my wife and want my family back. OMG put the running shoes
on and hit the road. What is wrong with people? I just don't get it.
 spilling_fire
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:52:18 AM

I'm curious about this one. I know people who go back to school for better opportunities and to get paid more in the job market. Was it one of those deals? Everyone has their own criteria, but I wouldn't exactly run for the hills over this one.

It was one of those deals. I fully support bettering yourself educationally and thereby opening up more career opportunities in the future. But why not work full time and go to school part time? Why put yourself in the position to have no money whatsoever and also have to live with your mother when you're in your mid 30s? It just didn't seem very fiscally responsible to me not to mention that living with your mom is going to seriously cramp your dating life.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/22/2013 10:46:31 AM

Some variation of I'm looking but don't really need a man to be fulfilled.

Not a personal but a general question. Are men really looking for a woman who needs "a" man to be fulfilled? Seems I don't know...unhealthy from either side.

P.S. as far as women with kids go, I think they post something like that because they have run into too many men who demand to be put first always, and so want to avoid it going forward. I agree it's not the best way to go about it, but I don't think they are trying to say that anyone they date will come last.
 prime ribb
Msg: 133
Posted: 2/22/2013 11:43:42 AM

Not a personal but a general question. Are men really looking for a woman who needs "a" man to be fulfilled? Seems I don't know...unhealthy from either side.

P.S. as far as women with kids go, I think they post something like that because they have run into too many men who demand to be put first always, and so want to avoid it going forward. I agree it's not the best way to go about it, but I don't think they are trying to say that anyone they date will come last.

I guess that's something men should consider when dating a women with children (depending on how kids she has). A woman who has kids doesn't or shouldn't have to state this. If you have kids, that goes without saying.

Looking at it from a guy side, if he's looking for a relationship and encounters a woman who has four or five kids looking to date, but they can't quite coordinate how things are going to work because she's immersed in her kids' activities or he has to work full time or school. Now between all these responsibilities and obligations, when do the two have time for a relationship? I understand the single mother is looking for something outside her domestic duties, but how you fit a guy in and how the guy will react and adjust are two different things.
 prime ribb
Msg: 134
Posted: 2/22/2013 11:49:57 AM

It was one of those deals. I fully support bettering yourself educationally and thereby opening up more career opportunities in the future. But why not work full time and go to school part time? Why put yourself in the position to have no money whatsoever and also have to live with your mother when you're in your mid 30s? It just didn't seem very fiscally responsible to me not to mention that living with your mom is going to seriously cramp your dating life.

I take it some individuals have a timetable on when they want to start and complete school. I mean if you had a chance of completing x amount of classes in a short period as opposed to a five or six year period, would you do it?

There are some jobs that offer tuition reimbursement, but being thirty-ish and moving back in with moms and pops is not a good look if you're looking to date. Not too long ago, I went on a date with a woman who is thirty-four and lives at home but she works full time. Woman can get away with being at home, but a guy has to have his own place and all that by a certain age in order to be considered. The way of the world.
 spilling_fire
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/22/2013 11:52:02 AM
Looking at it from a guy side, if he's looking for a relationship and encounters a woman who has four or five kids looking to date, but they can't quite coordinate how things are going to work because she's immersed in her kids' activities or he has to work full time or school. Now between all these responsibilities and obligations, when do the two have time for a relationship? I understand the single mother is looking for something outside her domestic duties, but how you fit a guy in and how the guy will react and adjust are two different things.

Ah yes, but don't forget that there are tons of single fathers out there too and this "when do we have time for one another" issue happens on both sides of the coin for single mothers/single fathers. As a single mother trying to date, one of the biggest hurdles is that most single fathers (in my experience) get their kid(s) on the weekend and that's when I find it easiest to get a sitter for my child. Rock and a hard place = single parents lol. And believe me, it's just as tricky for a woman to discover how she fits into the lives of the father and his children without creating upheaval.
 spilling_fire
Msg: 136
Posted: 2/22/2013 12:03:25 PM

I take it some individuals have a timetable on when they want to start and complete school. I mean if you had a chance of completing x amount of classes in a short period as opposed to a five or six year period, would you do it?

I had no mysterious timetable for when he should've started/finished college or when anyone does for that matter. Life is ever changing and we all move at our own speed. It impressed me that he wanted to better himself. But one must be careful that while in the process of pursuing certain successes, you not cripple yourself in other areas.

Not too long ago, I went on a date with a woman who is thirty-four and lives at home but she works full time. Woman can get away with being at home, but a guy has to have his own place and all that by a certain age in order to be considered. The way of the world.

I disagree :) I would hope that a man I date expect me to be able to provide my own "roof over my head".
I'm an adult and there are accomplishments of self sufficiency that we're expected to attain. A place to live. The ability to feed one's self. The ability to sustain one's life. He did not have those traits. And I would hope that a man deserving of my respect, would expect those traits from me.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/22/2013 12:08:15 PM

There are some jobs that offer tuition reimbursement, but being thirty-ish and moving back in with moms and pops is not a good look if you're looking to date.

True. However:

Then there's that.

I'm on board with the man's decision to focus on school and school only. With accelerated courses, he can probably finish a four-year program in 2+1/2 to 3 years that way. But it will limit his dating opportunities during that time. Just comes with the territory.

More to topic, a few more "run for the hills" lines, for me:

"So I've been reading this self-help book..."

"My therapist said..."

"I have OCD, but, I take medication for it..."
 LucidTheory
Msg: 139
Posted: 2/22/2013 1:04:12 PM
'I need a woman....'

I don't want the burden of your 'need' for me.
 GuitarHero68
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:45:03 PM
"I have a kid."
Later.
 s0thnyankee
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:51:48 PM
He can't keep his phone on for running out of text or minutes.
He doesn't have a steady job and looking to deliver pizza.
He has no car and lives as a border in a trailer.
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 144
Posted: 2/23/2013 3:30:12 AM
Re: #142

Isnt that the truth, amazing since in their profiles, all they seem to go on about is how they want a "nice guy". Then when presented with what they were just asking for, you're somehow "suddenly" too nice, or just not their type.
 erica0912
Msg: 146
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:23:52 AM
I hate the misspelled words, constant texting /talking, excuses, and focus on sex too! It's not just a simple compliment that sends you packing. It's the way they say it and the frequency. If he's looking at me like a steak after a week in the desert, I'm taking the first exit!
I also hate:
I have a newborn or any child under 18 but I have no contact with the mother.
I'm just living with my parents until I get back on my feet...for over a year now
I want a woman to build with...so you have nothing? Should you even be dating?
I want a woman who looks like a supermodel but I look like Buddha
I just registered my car ,house, bills,etc. in other people's names to help them rebuild their credit
I don't see anything wrong with having more than one woman because there's a man shortage.
The list goes on but obvious lying, unstable,unattractive, unemployed men send me RUNNING!
 zombiehuntress
Msg: 147
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:33:10 AM
Here's my favorite.....Can you loan me 1500 dollars??? LOL .......running!!!!!!
 funny4uwannatry
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:37:16 AM
I see these comments from the "nice guys" who say women dont want nice guys. Some women do but he has to be more than a doormat. SOMETIMES these so called "nice guys" can be very annoying. Some women dont want a man to fall at her feet and be constantly annoying. Maybe there is a happy medium? A gentleman who doesn't rush into a sexual relationship, however he does flirt and let a woman know he is interested, but not rushing it. A man who listens, however also has something interesting to say. A man who does well on his own, and wants a woman because she is wonderful, not because she is the only one there right now. A man who is capable of caring, yet cares enough about himself not to be a doormat.. maybe a happy medium..
 That_girl*
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:42:34 AM
Why does it matter how kids an baby mamas i have i got enough,,why you tryna be next on my list..

or ya i gotta few kids here an there but the stay with their mothers in different states..

= deadbeat daddy with no real sense of responsibility an obviously has commitment issues with women an children..

exit stage left BYE BYE!!!
 jermanicus
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/23/2013 9:48:22 AM
The worst thing a woman ever said was "I was seeing this guy I met on-line when my ex came and hit him on the head with a hammer"..wait...what? like that was going to make me want to date her?!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >