Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 339
If your date used a 50% off coupon on your first date... Page 14 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Maybe I was tied at the hip with my late Wife for to long. But wasting money I didn't have too, not only would have NOT made a Good First Impression. That just the opposite, if she found out later, it would have made a bad impression about my judgement, to her.

fleuron
I think you may be focusing on your relationship status, as opposed to a first date. Obviously in an established relationship, sharing fiscal responsibility and all that are important considerations.

I’m not talking about “wasting money.” The coupon can be used at some occasion OTHER than a first date, IMO.

No I'm not, but like normal, you're only seeing the part you want to.
IMO and knowing my late Wife as long as I did. If she had found out I didn't use a 50% off coupon on our first date, she would have thought it a foolish waste of the money. Though I think she would have told me this and still gone out with me again. Now if I had continued to 'Foolishly Waste Money' that would have been a deal breaker for her.

As for using the coupon later, most coupons have a very short shelf life, and for later we could find another coupon and save money on that Date, too.

We get it, you don't like saving money, but then that just shows we're not compatible and have different lifestyles.
 Fleuron
Msg: 340
If your date used a 50% off coupon on your first date...
Posted: 3/5/2013 6:05:51 PM

And it shows no real display of the character of the guy either by using one.

I was addressing the, “He’s a financial whiz!” argument for using coupons on first dates.

You're not against him using a coupon, you're against him not paying full price for you. You're not impressed by the guy, but by his wallet.

Why, does it do tricks?

Wanna fight? Quit trying to tell me what I think. You don’t know what I’m impressed by… one hint, it ain’t belligerence.

It looks tacky to use a coupon on a first date, IMO. Now throw temper tantrums.
All you coupon using guys need to form a union or picket for your rights or something.

Than why is it an issue if you see him doing it?
Without the running, high -fiving..
Why is he falls into a cheap undateable no class category?

It’s an issue for the OP. I’m responding to the thread, not personal experience. This has never happened to me.

It is not shocking.
But asking him how he is going to pay would be.
I have a hard time believe that someone can tell THAT just buy talking to someone without asking.

Why would I do that? This is getting ridiculous. Unlike some people on PoF, I don’t see dating as a gender war. I date men I LIKE.

Honestly, some men have NO IDEA what other men do for and say to women to win us over. Men don’t just say, “Would you like to experience a mutually pleasing event?” They say fun things, and some are very specific about what they would like to do, what they are willing to do, and what they will do. Jeez. Wake up!

Not surprisingly, some men leave their competition choking in their dust.

We get it, you don't like saving money, but then that just shows we're not compatible and have different lifestyles

You’re still talking about a relationship. This thread is about first dates. If you read my last post more closely, you’ll see I agreed with you about fiscal responsibility in a relationship.

How utterly stupid. I think using a coupon on a first date makes a bad impression, now I don’t like saving money. Jaysus.

One thing we can definitely agree on, we are absolutely NOT compatible. Yay!
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 341
Posted: 3/5/2013 6:54:12 PM
I really don't think using a coupon necessarily has to look tacky---unless the guy makes a big show of using one. It can be done discreetly without the woman even having to know about it.

The reason I knew my guy used one was because I gave it to him. He told me ahead of time where he was taking me, and I knew restaurant dot com had a $25 gift certificate available for that particular restaurant.

I fully concur with your last point, however.
 rockstar_ocnj
Msg: 342
Posted: 3/5/2013 7:34:19 PM
Why, does it do tricks?

Wanna fight? Quit trying to tell me what I think. You don’t know what I’m impressed by… one hint, it ain’t belligerence.

It looks tacky to use a coupon on a first date, IMO. Now throw temper tantrums.
All you coupon using guys need to form a union or picket for your rights or something.

Why don't you try telling us WHY it looks so tacky. You never back your arguments up, well now it's time. What is so mystical about the first date that you have to pay in full?

Better yet, why do you even care? What does it matter to you how he paid for your food that you got for free? If the coupon is a problem, then pay for your own food. It's amazing how ungrateful people can be. You're getting something for free, you're out on a date with a guy, but all that goes down the drain if he uses a coupon. Don't you have better things to worry about than something as petty as a stupid piece of paper?

Why would I do that? This is getting ridiculous. Unlike some people on PoF, I don’t see dating as a gender war. I date men I LIKE.

Honestly, some men have NO IDEA what other men do for and say to women to win us over. Men don’t just say, “Would you like to experience a mutually pleasing event?” They say fun things, and some are very specific about what they would like to do, what they are willing to do, and what they will do. Jeez. Wake up!

Not surprisingly, some men leave their competition choking in their dust.

Stop dodging the question. Youre acting like you're gonna know how he's going to pay, but how are you going to know?

Also, we can turn that whole paragraph back on you. There's women who have NO IDEA what other women do to win us men over. There's more to life than how we pay for your food. I'm sorry you can't look past that, but luckily you're not my type anyway. The huge, long list of hot girls in this thread who honestly don't care either way if we use a coupon, I'm gonna go with what they say.
 MsMaureenw
Msg: 343
Posted: 3/5/2013 7:41:28 PM
We each have our own personal reactions to coupons and don't discount the emotions behind them as they are personal feelings. You are either compatible or you're not. Coupons may just be one of the few things you disagree on. Would you let an otherwise great relationship slip due to coupons?

My parents never used coupons. I personally felt growing up there was a sense of shame if one had to use coupons. That was never voiced by my parents, but that is how they made me feel.

When I was at the grocery store with my mother it seemed that women who smoked and had their hair up in curlers were the ones who used the coupons. My mother always had her hair up in french twists. I did not have a high opinion of those who used coupons from a child's perspective.

The lady next door had five children and would ask my mother to save her the Sunday coupons. I then related coupons to hand me downs as they both went into the same bag to give to neighbor.

With all the said, my perceptions of coupons has changed. I do use them. I use the groupon offers as well as living social. Restaurant.com. I can do more for my daughter this way. However, we have to pick and choose and sometimes it is not exactly where we want to go, but still a way way fun place to go and basically doubles our entertainment budget.

Here is where coupons and a first date come in. Is this man trying to impress me or is he just settling. I'd not want him to settle on a first date. This is where he needs to woo me. I'd feel awkward. Did he take me here because he has a coupon or did he not find me nice enough for the place next door?

I typically don't like dinner on first dates anyway so ya'll are safe, instead I like an activity, coffee or a glass of wine. It takes a lot to get me to a first date: Texting, phone calls and an investment of time. Then I may meet you and I'd rather have an exit plan and an escape route. Dinner is just too hard. I'd feel really rude cutting the night short after a nice dinner if we did not connect and I would feel bad you spent money. I'd feel so poorly. Poor man. ;(

I had a man take me out and use a gift card on a third date, but I did not care about that. It was he that was more insistent on going out than I was. I just wanted to spend time with him and I did not care if it were just a skinny peppermint mocha that he presented me with.

I think men get concerned with their wallets. It is not about money. It is about quality, time, creativity and effort. I suppose some women have just made a mess of things for ya'll. It is simple.

Now fast forward into months of dating and use all the coupons/groupons and living social deals you want as at this point I'll have determined you don't live in a rust trailer with a fridge on the front lawn, you don't spit tobacco juice on your font steps and you wash your hands before dinner. However, with that said, be just and don't cheat! If you cheat or even try to get something more than you're entitled to I'm so gone. I dislike cheap. There is savings and then there is theft.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 344
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:23:40 PM

MsMaureenw
Here is where coupons and a first date come in. Is this man trying to impress me or is he just settling. I'd not want him to settle on a first date. This is where he needs to woo me. I'd feel awkward. Did he take me here because he has a coupon or did he not find me nice enough for the place next door?

If I have to put on some fake facade to impress you, then I don't want or need you. You either accept me for who I am, or you don't. It's just to much work to live a lie. It's much easier to just be who I am, whether you like it or not.

As for this.

halcyon_skies
I fully concur with your last point, however.

Nice dig, but that can go two ways.
 Alegria777888
Msg: 345
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:08:57 PM
If a dude is more concerned with saving a few dollars than impressing me, then go ahead and use the coupon. I will just assume you are struggling financially, and won't be interested in someone who hasn't established themselves by the time they are middle-aged.

I have also found that men who are weird about money often have weird ideas about women, and the ones who are paranoid about golddiggers are the ones who have no gold to dig. I don't date those types. I always laugh when I see the threads where a guy is complaining about having to buy a woman a drink or coffee on a date. If you really don't care to impress your date with your generous spirit, then keep on being lonely and bitter.

A cheap man is often cheap in spirit. Paranoid penny-pinchers don't make for very nice company. My father is a very generous man who was always so, even when he didn't have much to share. I am the same way, and am more than happy to treat my partner, once I am in a relationship. My dad instilled those values in me, and I judge other men by that standard. Hasn't let me down once. Never seems to bother the type of men I like to date, who are men with bigger concerns than worrying about the cost of treating their date to drinks or dinner.
 _shakti_
Msg: 346
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:19:50 PM
I don't get this whole 'men must impress me' bit.. in fact, I am usually pretty leery of the guy who comes off like he has to impress me with flowers, gifts, etc.. like.. can't you just be yourself.. ? I always wonder what all of that is actually covering for.

But hey, to each their own.
 grove_22
Msg: 347
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:52:42 PM

If a dude is more concerned with saving a few dollars than impressing me, then go ahead and use the coupon. I will just assume you are struggling financially, and won't be interested in someone who hasn't established themselves by the time they are middle-aged.

Using a coupon or gift certificate doesn't mean that person is cheap or poor. I'm sure many people have saved money at some point in their lifes. Such going to a restaurant that has 50% off deals. Buying items at a store when they are on sale, going to multiple stores and comparing prices for the same item etc.
 Petraeus
Msg: 349
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:26:35 AM
lets agree to disagree. While I can't understand your pov, I can understand how you may have been raised to value money, power, and fame over all else.

I guess I'm asking you to

1. realize not everyone thinks this way and there are those who are NOT obsessed with money, but actively seek to minimize the effects of money on their lifestyle (you most likely won't get this, but its true).

2. please stay away from me, even with "no gold to dig" as you have labelled us "lonely and bitter" types, I wouldn't want to be associated with you or caught within 10ft of you.

now that our mutual disdain and disgust with each other has been registered, lets continue with a civil conversation.

f a dude is more concerned with saving a few dollars than impressing me, then go ahead and use the coupon. I will just assume you are struggling financially, and won't be interested in someone who hasn't established themselves by the time they are middle-aged.

I have also found that men who are weird about money often have weird ideas about women, and the ones who are paranoid about golddiggers are the ones who have no gold to dig. I don't date those types. I always laugh when I see the threads where a guy is complaining about having to buy a woman a drink or coffee on a date. If you really don't care to impress your date with your generous spirit, then keep on being lonely and bitter.

A cheap man is often cheap in spirit. Paranoid penny-pinchers don't make for very nice company. My father is a very generous man who was always so, even when he didn't have much to share. I am the same way, and am more than happy to treat my partner, once I am in a relationship. My dad instilled those values in me, and I judge other men by that standard. Hasn't let me down once. Never seems to bother the type of men I like to date, who are men with bigger concerns than worrying about the cost of treating their date to drinks or dinner.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 350
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:01:51 AM
I don't get this whole 'men must impress me' bit.. in fact, I am usually pretty leery of the guy who comes off like he has to impress me with flowers, gifts, etc.. like.. can't you just be yourself.. ? I always wonder what all of that is actually covering for.

I view it as insecurity---as if he's trying too hard. If a man feels he needs to go out of his way to "impress" a woman by putting on airs to show off his prosperity, it means he's out of his league.

Once a guy does that, he sets a precedent for the rest of the relationship---because in all likelihood, the woman will continue to expect special treatment. If he can't afford it, resentment will grow on both sides, killing the relationship.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 351
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:46:08 AM

ROFL...What would be our slogan?
Brake for coupons! Honk if you like coupons! Save the coupons!

The reason I knew my guy used one was because I gave it to him. He told me ahead of time where he was taking me, and I knew restaurant dot com had a $25 gift certificate available for that particular restaurant.

That is awesome!!!

Well..I do want to "impress" her with my sense of humor, personality.
I said it before..
When the bill comes and I might have a coupon, and that un-impress her..well
That's too bad..
 Maleman999
Msg: 352
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:51:42 AM
There are 17 pages of comments regarding what kind of first impression a guy must have on a first meet/date and how a coupon will affect that first impression. Let's turn the tables and discuss what kind of first impression a woman is required to have when meeting a guy. Is a woman only required to show up and make no effort to impress the guy? Isn't that a double standard?
 landor_ca
Msg: 353
Posted: 3/6/2013 11:02:13 AM

I always enjoy leading comments like this. Do you always presume?

I worked for a man that is a billionaire. I was actually like a son to the man, and still very close. I have no need to ever impress him by any financial means either. He's so well off that he owns properties worldwide, one of which is half ownership of a small island in the Caribbean

That said, I started off as a serviceman for him, in his one business. I used to stop in at McDonald's in the morning and get milk and an egg mcmuffin. Who would I see sitting there, with his wife? I bet you can guess. Know why he went there? Free coffee due to his age. This man was also one of the more affluent people in my city, and it's not small. If he could save a dollar, he would. I can tell you right now, if some woman said he didn't impress her because he bought her dinner at a discount on their date, he sure wouldn't see her again.

I'd put money on the fact that if a man like that, with that kind of wealth took you out for dinner, you wouldn't complain if he saved a few bucks doing it.

Also, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be goin' on about how he hadn't established himself to your liking.

Gift horse and all that.
 _BeachGoddess_
Msg: 354
Posted: 3/6/2013 11:18:52 AM
Never experienced a guy using a coupon, lol, but would find it tacky.
 SMC1960
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 12:22:42 PM
I had that happen with a first date from this site and it was a total turn off. Keep the coupon for when you are with your kids and their friends not on a date.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 356
Posted: 3/6/2013 12:29:30 PM

BeachGoddess
Never experienced a guy using a coupon, lol, but would find it tacky.

I find it tacky that someone would complain about how their entertainment was paid for, as long as it was legal.

So not only do they have to pay, but they have to pay in the way you deem appropriate.

They could be one step away from Bankruptcy, but still have one piece of Plastic that is still accepted and you're fine with that, but if they fiscally responsible and save a little money, then it's Tacky. Let me guess, "how can I be Broke, I still have checks left in the Book".

SMC1960
I had that happen with a first date from this site and it was a total turn off. Keep the coupon for when you are with your kids and their friends not on a date.

Top two reasons that lead to Divorce are Money Problems or Cheating, what's your excuse?
If it's such a turn off, then you take over the fiscal responsibility of Dating. I swear I didn't know there were so many full grown women who still believe they're Princesses.
I wonder how many of your Mortgage Originations were Sub Prime Loans?
 Petraeus
Msg: 357
Posted: 3/6/2013 1:04:35 PM
Money is a sensitive subject, its best to be clear on your financial sensibilities (or lack thereof - for those golddiggers) before you go on that first date.

My profile makes it clear from the beginning, as yours should.
 Fleuron
Msg: 359
Posted: 3/6/2013 4:25:29 PM
Halcyon_Skies:
I really don't think using a coupon necessarily has to look tacky---unless the guy makes a big show of using one. It can be done discreetly without the woman even having to know about it.

Yes, exactly. The original OP, back a few hundred pages ago:

Girls how would you react if a guy pulled out a 50% coupon at the restaurant, and used it on your "FIRST" date….

rockstar_ocnj:
Why don't you try telling us WHY it looks so tacky. You never back your arguments up, well now it's time. What is so mystical about the first date that you have to pay in full?

Why don’t you try speaking for yourself? Or are you speaking for your many personalities again?

Look, I don’t date strangers, “random” men, or serial date. I prefer quality over quantity. I get to know a man before I agree to date him. I don’t accept dates from guys looking me over at the supermarket or anywhere else….get it? My dates MEAN something to me, and the men I date feel the same way.

Showing up unshaven and slovenly makes a bad first impression, too, IMO. Does that make a difference to you, since no money is being spent?

It's amazing how ungrateful people can be.

That’s your mistaken assumption. I’ve said it about a billion times now, I appreciate men who CARE about the impression they make on me. I’m “getting something for free????”
That’s what a date means to you?? Sad.

Stop dodging the question.

I was addressing Zuglo65, not you. You don’t even know what the question was.

…but luckily you're not my type anyway. The huge, long list of hot girls in this thread who honestly don't care either way if we use a coupon, I'm gonna go with what they say.

Seriously?? I’ll be crying myself to sleep tonight over that!

Zuglo65:
ROFL...What would be our slogan?
Brake for coupons! Honk if you like coupons! Save the coupons!

There ya go, have some Tshirts and bumper stickers made up.

Maleman999:
Let's turn the tables and discuss what kind of first impression a woman is required to have when meeting a guy. Is a woman only required to show up and make no effort to impress the guy? Isn't that a double standard?

I turned that table pages ago. So what about it then? Is it okay for the woman half of the date to show up in tattered sweatpants and filthy bunny slippers? How about greasy unwashed hair and au naturel BO? Hm? That gonna make a bad first impression on a man, or would he find that and her fiscal and environmental virtue of saving water and money appealing? And maleman, how about you respond to my questions for a change?
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 5:01:40 PM
Hey B-B-E 53,

Take it easy on her she is "Drama Free and a Great Catch"
Men who read this thread may not agree with her thou.

And while I never use a coupon after reading this thread I may start. If using a coupon would help me to eliminate such primadonna females I'm all for it. I always get a kick out of people who consider themselves such great catches, yet they are on "freebie POF" here for years and years. Maybe they should pay full pop for one of those $$$ match sites. Seems kinda hypocritical to me...meet me on a "Freebie Site" I belong to but don't save a few bucks for our next date.

I would have the utmost respect for a lady who 1.) offers up a coupon 2.) suggests a spot with great food at a reasonable price 3.) offered to pay her share (but again I never would accept, even on first and last date as if I was such a poor judge of my date I should pay for my mistake.) Why is it some women think so differently? Why is saving money considered in such poor taste? I go into every date thinking long term, maybe some women go into dates thinking short term therefor who cares if money is wasted. I wonder if these women resent guys who turn off lights after they leave the room? I rarely find reasons to waste un-necessarily.

Brings back memories of a past client on mine, 70 years old...worth 15 million dollars on hers and her husbands employment...what was their employment...Elementary School Teachers for LA Unified SD...Mike she said, We looked at something and thought...do we need it or want it. If we wanted it we passed. To this day she still shops the thrift shops of Downtown Ventura and went on her first cruise last year. And while she takes it to extremes in her later years it is something to take a hard look at.
 rockstar_ocnj
Msg: 361
Posted: 3/6/2013 5:54:13 PM
Why don’t you try speaking for yourself? Or are you speaking for your many personalities again?

Look, I don’t date strangers, “random” men, or serial date. I prefer quality over quantity. I get to know a man before I agree to date him. I don’t accept dates from guys looking me over at the supermarket or anywhere else….get it? My dates MEAN something to me, and the men I date feel the same way.

Showing up unshaven and slovenly makes a bad first impression, too, IMO. Does that make a difference to you, since no money is being spent?

Yeah, I date for quality over quantity too. You're still not answering the question that's been asked over and over again. How do you know that the guy you're talking to is the type of guy to use a coupon? Do you ask him "do you pay with coupons?" or do you just hope you don't get surprised by him using one?

I'm done arguing with you. It's just not worth my time. You avoid questions, you take single sentences and respond to them completely out of context, you make personal attacks.... I'm convinced you're just trolling, that you come here to start a fight.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:40:06 AM

Yes, exactly.

OK...My tinny brain hurts..
So...Fleuron..
You saying "Yes, exactly" to that statement?
I understand you talk to a guy before meet and quality over quantity, no dates from guys from the super market.
I understand that you get to know him before agree to go on a date with him. I got all that.
But..If you don't know he paid with a coupon, or does not make a big deal out of it, would that be OK with you?
Or you 100% percent sure he won't? Not looking to fight..
I am asking this because you said you wouldn't ask that question while talking to him. So how would you know?
You said if he take care of the bill while you are away form the table, you wouldn't ask how he paid.
So how would you know? Just by talking to him you would be 100% sure?
What if he doesn't think it would leave a bad impression, even if she sees the coupon?
I for one when it's time to meet, don't discuss it. It's on me, and coupon might be used.
Should I give her a heads up? I really don't see the point.
And..Just play along..Since you are on a date with him, he is obviously a great guy, you like him.
Date goes well,all wonderful, perfect gentlemen. OK?
Check comes, he nonchalantly place a coupon in there with his card, in front of you.
Does everything comes crumbling down, just because that piece of paper?
I know you said it never happened to you, but I am asking what if it would?
 Petraeus
Msg: 363
Posted: 3/7/2013 8:05:42 AM
She isn't trolling, she genuinely believes men who are prudent with money are inferior to those who aren't.

Yes, its almost impossible to comprehend how a person can think like this in the 21st century. But remember, not everyone is as highly educated or worldly as you may be.

You have to understand that some people were raised on a farm watching disney movies, and as such the movie studios have indoctrinated her into believing the 'perfect' man is prince charming and if you wait long enough and scrub enough floors he will show up magically one day and sweep you off your feet.

This couldn't be further from the truth. But the media these days has so much power, and individuals are so feeble-minded, its not surprising a few nut jobs are created.

ADVICE: stay clear of these types and let them exist in their own special reality buddle

Yeah, I date for quality over quantity too. You're still not answering the question that's been asked over and over again. How do you know that the guy you're talking to is the type of guy to use a coupon? Do you ask him "do you pay with coupons?" or do you just hope you don't get surprised by him using one?

I'm done arguing with you. It's just not worth my time. You avoid questions, you take single sentences and respond to them completely out of context, you make personal attacks.... I'm convinced you're just trolling, that you come here to start a fight.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 8:42:19 AM
I wonder if you are in need of gasoline when on a date with these women if you must go to the "Full Serve Highest Price" station in the city, while at the same time they pump their own gas at the no-name station across town.

I had a date who got upset because she went over her text limit and I texted her on purpose to see her reaction. The .10 cents she paid for the text was nothing compared to the 2 Caddie Margs she drank. And while she later apologized for her petty reaction she was history. The guy can spend $50 on her but she can't pop for a dime, although I will say on one of our dates she did pick up the Starbucks tab, regardless she was toast.
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 365
Posted: 3/7/2013 9:08:17 AM
No I wouldn't use coupons. I would take her to the most expensive McDonalds I can find and pay cash, then I would flip my wallet in the air to show her that money means nothing to me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >