Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Favorite documentary?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 26
Favorite documentary?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World

About how plants....
get humans to do their bidding.

Are we the growers of corn, potatoes, and tulips?
Or the slaves to them?

Very interesting documentary on why we eat
what we eat.
and grow what we grow.
 DameWrite
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/7/2013 10:01:21 PM
Kymatica

It's on top documentary.com

Just watched it and it's resonates well with me, especially the 2nd half.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 28
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/8/2013 8:22:40 AM

Sorry I don't recall the title.

You may be thinking of Food Inc. and yes, definitely worth watching.

Yes, it is Food Inc. and other one which I found really interesting was Vegucated

This documentary follows three meat- and cheese-loving New Yorkers who agree to adopt a vegan diet for six weeks in an effort to get healthier.

A couple of others I've watched recently...

The End of the Line

A filmmaker traverses the world exposing the devastating effects that overfishing with modern technology is having on fish stocks.

Craigslist Joe.

Exploring whether America still has a sense of community, a man spends a month depending on the goodness of Craigslist posters for his survival.

Foursunsets
Msg: 29
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/8/2013 6:26:59 PM
Fog of War
Brother's Keeper
 jlafount
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/11/2013 12:50:47 AM
7up series
Titicut Follies
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 31
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/11/2013 6:49:31 PM
South Park's "A History Channel Thanksgiving". Okay, not an actual documentary, but if you like documentaries, you'll enjoy that episode.

How TV Ruined Your Life (BBC 2). It wasn't the TV itself, it was the programming.

"Penn & Teller: Bullshit!" Has to be one of my all-time favorites. The Emmy Award-winning main title theme music and design are pretty cool.

I've seen "Food Inc.", or as I like to call it "The Silence of the Chickens". It's as informative as it is disturbing. I think vegans ought to use it to indoctrinate new members. Once was enough for me. Poor cows; I rarely have a hamburger these days.
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 32
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/13/2013 2:55:41 PM
Yeah anything by Ken Burns is really great, and I catch them mostly on PBS. I also watch a lot of TVO too for documentaries.
 Just___Jim
Msg: 33
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:59:20 PM

Ditto.
And the History of New York City by his brother Ric Burns.

No question for me hands down, anything from Ken Burns in the last thirty plus years. I believe his first documentary was when they first restoring the Statue of Liberty, a very moving piece in the early 80's as I taped that piece on my beta.
^^^^^^^
And lets not forget on PBS, Nature,Front Line, NOVA, American Masters, Independent Lens, American Experience, Bill Moyers, Great Trains & Brit history by Micheal Woods, and the piece they did on the History Channel on the first on the Baron's and their Monopolies in the USA.

And I did not know that his brother Ric, also does documentations too. Thanks for that up date....
 Consensuality
Msg: 34
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/15/2013 8:56:08 PM
My favorite doc is the Staircase. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0388644/. It's about a murder trial with a husband who's accused of killing his wife. Unbelievable twists and turns. Truly a great doc.

The Great Happiness Space and Dear Zachary are also amazing.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/16/2013 8:03:39 AM
Nova series on PBS is good.
A movie The Celestine Prophesy portrays some good social skills but over does it a bit.
Zeitgeist documents the evolution of religion.
Who Killed the Electric Car
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 36
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/16/2013 8:57:10 AM
For a different documentary, check out "A Good Man" on TVO.org. It will change your perspective on a few things.

A good thread. Thanks all for the various documentaries to check out. You and the documentaries point out that there is some decent television shows to watch these days.
 vestaceres
Msg: 37
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/16/2013 10:19:09 PM
"The Day My God Died" -- Andrew Levine. I met him (and his mother ),at a Harvard lecture series about the global sex (rape) trade slave. (His mother and I discussed things about it and how very proud she was of her son.)

This documentary is about the sex slave trade in Nepal/India.

"Holy Ghetto" - iLan Azoulai. I believe the project is finally complete. At the time, we viewed some parts of it when he came to speak at our small unit at my university.

This documentary is about the sex (rape) trade in Tel Aviv's red light district.

I enjoy documtaries and they're all I watch - I prefer historically-based films, but some such as the above that bring awareness, I tend to view more often.
 The_Whole_of_the_Moon
Msg: 38
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/16/2013 11:08:21 PM

Some time this week, I plan to watch a documentary on a man known as 'Grey Owl'.

You picked a poor site to find out the history of Grey Owl. He spent less than a year at Riding Mountain National Park before moving to Prince Albert National Park where he lived the rest of his life.

You can visit his cabin if you should make it out this way though it is a bit of a trek to get there.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/sk/princealbert/activ/activ3/b/i.aspx#a4
 jed456
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/19/2013 1:48:10 PM
Fog of War
religulous
Bush's war And Hundreds of others.
 LucidTheory
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/19/2013 8:35:03 PM
Sex in a Cold Climate (at the end of the movie 'The Magdeline Sisters')
Capitalism: A Love Story
Religulous
The Fall of the 3rd Reich

I might have more but I remember them right off.
 DameWrite
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:53:04 PM
OBEY pretty much sums up what is happening.
 Cecilly
Msg: 42
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/4/2013 3:51:33 AM
Jaws, the Inside Story
 shine1274
Msg: 43
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/6/2013 5:28:48 AM
Anything by Ken Burns.
I liked Religulous and the documentary I believed inspired it called "The God that wasn't there".

There are so many I have watched and loved, but never went and found to watch over and over. I have worked on 2 documentaries that never were broadcast (straight to DVD, but still available). There has been a third one in the works for 6 or so years now. Not sure if it will ever get the financing to be done right.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:47:20 AM
I won't try to dig up a favourite. Tooooo many! But I will point curious companions to a few note-worthies:

For two perspectives on North Korea, neither what we're used to, try:

THE RED CHAPEL (2009) by Mads Brügger
Danish original title: Det røde kapel (the film was shot in the PRK but made based in Denmark)

The slow, overpowering weight of existence in the late Kim's personal theme park gradually, seductively crushed me as I watched.

REPATRIATION (2003) by Dong-won Kim
Korean original title: Songhwan (the film was shot in both Koreas but made based in Japan)
Look for films by Erroll Morris; several are named in earlier posts. The guy's a very unconventional and innovative documentary voice.
If you liked the excellent (but not really a conventional documentary) HOWL, about Allen Ginzberg's poem that changed the US Supreme Court's standards of obscenity, you'll probably be fascinated by:

PAUL GOODMAN CHANGED MY LIFE (2011), by Jonathan Lee, is more esoteric, being the life of a leading US left-wing, free-living intellectual who spurred major changes in US education that led to some of the unique signatures of the Baby Boom generation. And a lot of sexual freedom, and odd diet, too.
BANDA MALA (2007) by Jason Kohn
Spanish original title: Send a Bullet

A gut-wrenching documentary about what is rotten in the state of Brazil - told in vivid threads of poverty, violence, corruption, kidnapping and frustration.
A thumbs-up to THIS FILM IS NOT RATED, as recommended before me, too.

ED BEAR
 DameWrite
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/6/2013 4:10:31 PM
got 5 hours? Ring Of Power

"The revolution will not be televised" is good too.

So many. Watching documentaries from all over the world gives insight better than just the western view of what going on.

Salmon Confidential ( for b.c.) canada
 Adam445566
Msg: 46
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/7/2013 8:59:32 PM
Adolf Hitler - The greatest story Never told !
For a long time the world has been manipulated on the history of the Second World War. Overwhelming evidence, Exposing Lies and Truth about Adolf Hitler, His childhood, his rise in Germany and Europe, his ideals, defeats and victories are all in this documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXq-cLYyt5U
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 47
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/8/2013 9:16:52 AM
"Inside Deep Throat"

Fascinating story of the politics surrounding it. This film cost $25,000 to make and has earned $600,000,000......
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 48
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/8/2013 9:21:20 AM
I’m a bit of a documentary addict. I am also an American history buff. So obviously anything Ken Burns from Civil War to Baseball.

But, one of my all-time favs was the Disney Docudrama based on my favorite Farley Mowat autobiographical book Never Cry Wolf. It was directed by Carroll Ballard and starred Charles Martin Smith as Tyler (The name of the Mowat character in the movie) and Brian Dennehy as Rosie the crazed bush pilot looking for his pot of gold.

Just a bit of useless trivia about the movie; it was the first Disney movie to receive a rating stronger than “G”. It was rated PG because it shows Charles Martin Smith's ass while he is running naked with the caribou. It was produced by Walt Disney’s son in-law and many credit it with being the beginning of his Touchstone Pictures the next year.

Bob

I say the glass is half full and after all, it was a free beverage. Others say the free beverage glass is already half empty so how dare they try to give us a smaller free serving!
 CallmeKen
Msg: 49
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/8/2013 10:19:12 AM
Since this is a dating site, I would recommend "Blood Roses and Deadly Diamonds: Vanguard". It puts an interesting spin on the economies of love. Free on Y-tube.
 mjinict
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 3/8/2013 9:53:27 PM
There was an interesting documentary on PBS recently about the women's movement. How women tired of feeling like second class citizens in the 50's being the homemaker. It went on about how women can do anything and everything but ended with one of the movements leaders daughters, who was trying to be 'superwoman' working a high powered job and trying to be a good mother ended up quitting her job, taking part time work because she was so frazzled not having enough time for her kids.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Favorite documentary?